Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Finally I made the SWITCH!!! But Needs Some Help with my New MacBookPro and OSX.

Finally I made the SWITCH!!! But Needs Some Help with my New MacBookPro and OSX.
fenixtx22
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2006, 05:18 AM

Finally i made the jump, Selling my "old" troublesome Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi, and get myself, a brand New Apple MacBookPro 2,0Ghz With 2G of RAM.

Well, actually i did'nt intend to upgrade to 2G RAM, but since the shop is having an offer , so I get free upgrade to 2G RAM and free Microsoft Office 2004

Actually this is my second MBP, the first one i have a bad build quality, there's gap between the casing and after using about 2 hours or so, the gap is getting bigger, and also the machine runs very hot. Go back to the store and get it replaced, so far so good, no gap in the casing and it did runs quite cool
after 3hour or so, the MBP is just barelly warm.

Anyway this is my first mac ever, i'vee been wanting to try mac from long time ago, but i afraid if i dun like it , then it will be difficult to sell the machine cause mac is not so popular in my country.
and actually i've been looking at the Acer TM8204 , but since i knw that MBP can runs in WinXP, then I said , why not.
i can always use the MBP to runs on WinXP if i dont like the OSX

Anyway i got few question to ask mac expert here, :
-Do i Need to reformat the MBP ? cause if i buy a WinXP notebook, normally first thing that i would do is reformat, change to NTFS, partition the HD, install anti virus and Zone Alarm, etc. But i have no idea what to do with my MBP. can any Mac expert tell me ?
-What is the essential softwares for mac ?in WinXP, i'll have MS Office,Zone Alarm,Kapersky Anti zvirus,ACDsee,NERO,etc. What will i need in Mac OSX ???
-Whar is the best mac user forums outthere other than of course this great forum

another question is that i want to install XP through bootcamp on my MBP, and i'm wondering what partitions will be best for it .
i'm thinking since i have 100G HDD, i want to partition it like
-20G mac OS
-10G Win XP
-All the rest for data (wil this partition able to be read and write by the 2 operating system?
or is there any betterway to partition it ?
i want my Data to be able to be read and write by both OSes and also In my previous Windows machine , i always seperate the partition for OS and data , cause you know, when windows crash, they can bring the data with them.
I don't know what is the correct way for OSX.

Another thing is there any software for mac that can edit MP3 (cut,minimize,edit) for use in the Handphone, like Nero in windows >?
and is there any software that can edit digital picture easilly like those ACDsee in WIndows ? cause i don;t know how to use advance program like adobe or corell, i just need smple editing such as cutting and resizing, thx .

THX, I'll post some review afterwards and i'll also put the pics of it side byside with my old Ferrari
thx
INSTALLING boot camp right now

anyway i want to be a mac user , please help me here with a little guidance

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 12, 2006, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by 10-Dee-Q
Anyway i got few question to ask mac expert here, :
-Do i Need to reformat the MBP ? cause if i buy a WinXP notebook, normally first thing that i would do is reformat, change to NTFS, partition the HD, install anti virus and Zone Alarm, etc. But i have no idea what to do with my MBP. can any Mac expert tell me ?
It's not necessary to reformat.

-What is the essential softwares for mac ?in WinXP, i'll have MS Office,Zone Alarm,Kapersky Anti zvirus,ACDsee,NERO,etc. What will i need in Mac OSX ???
This is not a question that is specific to the MacBook Pro, so I'd suggest you go to the Software forum and do a search. There are bound to be similar questions asked by switchers in the past.

-Whar is the best mac user forums outthere other than of course this great forum
This is the best forum, in my opinion.

another question is that i want to install XP through bootcamp on my MBP, and i'm wondering what partitions will be best for it .
i'm thinking since i have 100G HDD, i want to partition it like
-20G mac OS
-10G Win XP
-All the rest for data (wil this partition able to be read and write by the 2 operating system?
or is there any betterway to partition it ?
i want my Data to be able to be read and write by both OSes and also In my previous Windows machine , i always seperate the partition for OS and data , cause you know, when windows crash, they can bring the data with them.
I don't know what is the correct way for OSX.
I believe Boot Camp has problems dealing with disks that are already partitioned, and in any case I don't recommend partitioning unless you want to install a different operating system. It's not really necessary and it locks you into those partition sizes unless you want to reformat your disk.

I would just use Boot Camp to make a 20-30GB partition for Windows and be done with it. However, being able to access your data from both OSes is a little tricky. If you want to write to a Windows-formatted disk from Mac OS X, it needs to be formatted FAT32. And in order to read or write to a Mac-formatted disk in WIndows, you will need a program like MacDrive.

Another thing is there any software for mac that can edit MP3 (cut,minimize,edit) for use in the Handphone, like Nero in windows >?
Again, these kinds of questions would be best asked in Software, but I would think Quicktime Pro would be able to handle that.

and is there any software that can edit digital picture easilly like those ACDsee in WIndows ? cause i don;t know how to use advance program like adobe or corell, i just need smple editing such as cutting and resizing, thx .
iPhoto comes with your computer and should work file for that.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 12, 2006, 07:54 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules