Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > dual boot

dual boot
kingoat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 02:17 PM

i'm just wondering what program do i need to be able to have a duo boot
i need to run windows on my machine and just wondering if it is possible to have windows media center actually installed cuz i no there's a bunch of requirements to be able to run it but that's the only windows i have

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 28, 2006, 02:25 PM

what kind of computer are you using? iBook, MacBook?

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 03:06 PM

You'll need an Intel Mac of course, Boot Camp, and a copy of Windows with Service Pack 2 preinstalled. Service Pack 2 is a must. Without it, you will completely wipe your hard drive, OS X included. It won't even mount again until you use Disk Utility on the install DVD to format it.

If your copy of Windows Media Center doesn't have Service Pack 2 then there is a way to make a copy of your current disk with Service Pack 2 added on. It's called Slip Streaming.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

kingoat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 03:57 PM

i have a c2d macbook and i think my Windows Media Center comes with service package 2 already

kingoat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2006, 04:00 PM

actually i just check the boot camp site... it deosn't allow windows media center, i guess i'll just buy a windows xp pro when vista comes out

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Nov 28, 2006, 05:23 PM

i don't see why you wouldnt be able to use MCE...it's the same ole XP underneath with some facelifts here and there

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2006, 08:26 PM

MCE is a version of XP Pro with at least SP2 on it. It should run fine. Boot Camp doesn't watch what version you install, it just doesn't provide drivers for any version before XP SP2. Since MCE (especially the latest version) is effectively an extended version of XP with SP2, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

stefanicotine
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2006, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
MCE is a version of XP Pro with at least SP2 on it. It should run fine. Boot Camp doesn't watch what version you install, it just doesn't provide drivers for any version before XP SP2. Since MCE (especially the latest version) is effectively an extended version of XP with SP2, there shouldn't be any problem at all.
Actually that isn't exactly correct. Try installing a pre-SP2 copy of Windows XP Home on your Mac, and your whole disk will be wiped clean. I don't understand why, but it's deeper than just the drivers.
 Certified AppleCare Technician

Forum Links
Forum Rules