Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MBP Will NOT boot from disk!

MBP Will NOT boot from disk!
cbrfanatic
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2009, 04:24 AM

Here the situation and what i did leading up to it.
I started out by using Drive Genius to clean up my externals and "defragged" them for better performance, exactly what they do for you at the Genius Bar. DG does not allow you to do any of this to the disk the program is running on, so i set my preference to reboot from the drive Genius disk so i could do the same to the main volume.

The Computer restarted, made the  chime, then the screen went black, and the computer seemed to repeat the process until i held down the "option" key to choose which volume to boot from. I chose the OSX partition and it booted into it perfectly fine.

I ran disk utility to verify the disk and it came up with an error, which exact one i do not remember, but it had to do with some blocks being somewhere they werent supposed to or something. Going to run it again after TM backs up just to be safe.

So i ejected the Drive Genius disk and put the OS X install disk in, and restarted into that, the same thing happened, the computer restarted, made the  chime, then the screen went black, and the computer once again repeated the process. It is not letting me start from any disk!

Any idea what is causing the problem and how to remedy it? i am running a Time Machine Back up as we speak just to be on the safe side but right now there is no way of me to restore from it anyway since i cant boot from any disk!

Lastly, will i loose my windows partition if i have to reinstall?
If need be i may run a screen share with someone who has credibility here.
Much thanks to anyone and all who help.
~John, USAF
MPB 2.8GHz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
2TB Raid 1 setup, Wacom 12x19, 24" ACD, Bose SS
FCS 2, Shake, Adobe CS4, Lightroom > Aperture

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 27, 2009, 04:38 AM

Did you try selecting your internal drive in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 27, 2009, 04:38 AM

Do an SMC reset (remove battery, disconnect AC adapter, then hold power button for 5-10 seconds).

And let this be a lesson that on the Mac, defragmenting really doesn't help. Defragging is an extremely invasive procedure that involves uprooting most, if not all, of your files. So you want to have a complete backup before ever doing it. Of course, with that backup completed, you could just erase the drive and restore from backup, as that will defragment in the process.

I don't defrag, I just run DiskWarrior occasionally -- it's the only non-Apple disk tool I will allow to touch my disks. (Not counting Data Rescue, which is strictly a recovery tool that never alters the disk it's reading from.)

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2009, 04:45 AM

Thanks for the advice Tooki, i will try that as soon as TM finishes. Silly question but do i put the battery back in before holding the power button? And am i removing everything while it is already on or shutdown first? i sound completely like a noob, but i just want to make sure i get what you are saying to the T

Also, i "defragged" the external drives, where i store most of my stuff i dont want on the mac and also use as a back up and .DNG storage for lightroom, i was going to use Drive Genius on my boot volume, but i had to boot from the disk and THAT is when i found out i couldnt boot from disk.

I have DiskWarrior as well, i should use that instead?

And lastly, is there a way for me to erase and install like you said without loosing my windows partition, i use it for work (i know, wish i didnt have to) and it is set at 60GB.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2009, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Did you try selecting your internal drive in the Startup Disk pane of System Preferences?
Honestly, no i didnt try that. I thought selecting the disk to boot from was just like the "bless -mount /Volumes/Windows/ -legacy -setBoot" trick that only used the next booting sequence for that prefernce, thus making my second attempt to boot from disk while the main volume was set as boot in the preferences.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2009, 02:49 PM

heres what i get in Disk Utility

Checking Volume Information.
Invalid Volume Count

(It should be 857672 instead of 857673)
Invalid Directory Count

(It should be 207727 instead of 207726)

The Volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.
Error: Filesystem Verify or Repair failed.
Any idea what this means and how to fix it? Disk Utility wont allow me to do a repair

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 27, 2009, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by cbrfanatic View Post
Thanks for the advice Tooki, i will try that as soon as TM finishes. Silly question but do i put the battery back in before holding the power button? And am i removing everything while it is already on or shutdown first? i sound completely like a noob, but i just want to make sure i get what you are saying to the T
No, hold the power button before returning any sources of power.

Shut down normally before the procedure.

Also, i "defragged" the external drives, where i store most of my stuff i dont want on the mac and also use as a back up and .DNG storage for lightroom, i was going to use Drive Genius on my boot volume, but i had to boot from the disk and THAT is when i found out i couldnt boot from disk.]I have DiskWarrior as well, i should use that instead?
If you can manage to boot off the DiskWarrior disc, then yes.

And lastly, is there a way for me to erase and install like you said without loosing my windows partition, i use it for work (i know, wish i didnt have to) and it is set at 60GB.
Erase and install erases only the partition you're installing to.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2009, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the help Tooki
I tried the DiskWarrior disk, no go
Tried the SMC reset, no go
Tried the PRAM reset, no go
Single User Mode, no go
Verbose Mode, no go

Called apple and they have no clue, gave me the generic take it to apple store for repair deal

So i have a recent TM backup from last night, but if they repair it for me do i loose my windows partition?

i still find it very weird that i can use it fine despite the problems booting from a disk or any other mode, i can even play games via disk and i can use disks fine on the windows side as well.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 27, 2009, 04:46 PM

I think in some other thread you mentioned that you have another MacBook but can't do Target Disk Mode because it doesn't have FireWire - forgive me if I'm misremembering things. Is your MBP one of the new ones where you can take the hard drive out? If so, you can pop it out, put it in an external USB enclosure, and connect the enclosure to the MacBook to run DiskWarrior, Disk Utility, etc. on it. It might also be interesting to see if the MBP will boot from the OS X or DiskWarrior disc or from an external hard drive if the internal drive is not present (thus seeing whether or not the hard drive is the source of the issue).

edit: oh hey, here's something simpler to try first. Do Intel Macs still support the command-option-shift-delete startup key sequence? In the old days, that used to stop the internal hard drive from being accessed during startup, which might be something to try to get it to boot from the DiskWarrior or OS X boot disc.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 27, 2009, 04:50 PM

Called apple and they have no clue, gave me the generic take it to apple store for repair deal
If you are within easy reach of an Apple Store, I'd highly recommend taking it in. There's just more a technician can diagnose with the machine in front of them than over the phone. Be sure to go onto Apple's website and make the appointment ahead of time.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
I think in some other thread you mentioned that you have another MacBook but can't do Target Disk Mode because it doesn't have FireWire - forgive me if I'm misremembering things. Is your MBP one of the new ones where you can take the hard drive out? If so, you can pop it out, put it in an external USB enclosure, and connect the enclosure to the MacBook to run DiskWarrior, Disk Utility, etc. on it. It might also be interesting to see if the MBP will boot from the OS X or DiskWarrior disc or from an external hard drive if the internal drive is not present (thus seeing whether or not the hard drive is the source of the issue).

edit: oh hey, here's something simpler to try first. Do Intel Macs still support the command-option-shift-delete startup key sequence? In the old days, that used to stop the internal hard drive from being accessed during startup, which might be something to try to get it to boot from the DiskWarrior or OS X boot disc.
Yes, it is the MBP that is in my Sig, and the other  in the house is the new Uni Macbook. I will give those two things a shot and i will let you know if the command-option-shift-delete key sequence works. I did a back up last night and then disconnected the drive to keep it safe, so i am open to try whatever may work.

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
If you are within easy reach of an Apple Store, I'd highly recommend taking it in. There's just more a technician can diagnose with the machine in front of them than over the phone. Be sure to go onto Apple's website and make the appointment ahead of time.
There is one only about 28 highway miles away. I set up an apointment for thursday since we are supposed to get bad snow tonight into tomorrow, ill give them a day to clear the roads. In the mean time i will continue to try and solve it, going to try the two ideas from above.

Thanks for helping me out, i highly appreciate it.

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 27, 2009, 05:36 PM

Load up a known good Leopard Install disc (either retail or disc 1 of your restore discs), once that loads, run Disk Utility in the Utilities Menu. Run Disk Repair, then repair your permissions.

Reboot.

Does it boot to your log-in window or finder? As said before, make sure your Start up volume is blessed in System Preferences.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 27, 2009, 05:45 PM

Not sure if this helps or not cbrfanatic, I had exactly the same error that you had, Disk Utility didn't/couldn't fix it for me. I used Disk Warrior that was on a clone of the internal hard drive (that I booted from). Disk Warrior fixed the problem.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
Load up a known good Leopard Install disc (either retail or disc 1 of your restore discs), once that loads, run Disk Utility in the Utilities Menu. Run Disk Repair, then repair your permissions.

Reboot.

Does it boot to your log-in window or finder? As said before, make sure your Start up volume is blessed in System Preferences.
i have been using the restore disk that came with the MBP, i even tried the install disk from the Macbook, my issue is that it will not boot into any bootable disk and yes it boots regularly, im typing this message on the macbook pro right now.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Not sure if this helps or not cbrfanatic, I had exactly the same error that you had, Disk Utility didn't/couldn't fix it for me. I used Disk Warrior that was on a clone of the internal hard drive (that I booted from). Disk Warrior fixed the problem.
Thanks for the advice Mattyb, i installed DiskWarrior and now am creating a bootable copy in disk utility to my external to boot from and try what you did.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2009, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Thanks to you i got this...

But sadly i still cannot boot from a disk, although i can read and write from/to them. strange

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2009, 01:17 AM

Its because the boot efi loader is corrupted in the System Folder. If it persists an archive install will fix it. I see you use Time machine, you could try restoring the volume to a point that worked previously, then re-running Disk Warrior to optimize the directory.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2009, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by dowNNshift View Post
Its because the boot efi loader is corrupted in the System Folder. If it persists an archive install will fix it. I see you use Time machine, you could try restoring the volume to a point that worked previously, then re-running Disk Warrior to optimize the directory.
the time machine backup is a fresh one, so i dont think it will be free of this issue, how do i do an archive install if i cant boot from the install cd

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2009, 02:38 AM

Did the things I suggested do any good?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2009, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Did the things I suggested do any good?
the command-option-shift-delete did not work, and i did not try putting the drive into an enclosure since i booted from a firewire disk it was almost the same thing, so in a sense, that part worked. thank you

only i still cannot boot from a cd

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2009, 05:17 AM

only i still cannot boot from a cd
So what happens if you insert the install DVD, boot and hold alt/opt while booting? Do you get the option to select the DVD? And if you select it to boot, what happens then? Have you tried holding cmd-v (verbose mode) to see what the error is?

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 28, 2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
So what happens if you insert the install DVD, boot and hold alt/opt while booting? Do you get the option to select the DVD? And if you select it to boot, what happens then? Have you tried holding cmd-v (verbose mode) to see what the error is?
I have tried a few different ways with the install DVD;
putting it in while on and clicking restart from the disk, entering password
Putting the disk in and selecting it to boot from the preference pane
Having it in there then turning it on and holding alt/opt and selecting it

Everytime i try, not matter what type of CD/DVD that is bootable, i get the same thing, the screen goes grey as if its booting up, then goes black, then it goes grey again and i hear the chime, then it just repeats itself until i hold the alt/opt key and select my OS X volume, or Windows Volume

ive also tried single user mode, and safe mode, and they wont boot, and i did verbose mode but the white text on the black screen goes by so fast. it restarts right after i see it.

i have done all the resets possible, SMC, PRAM, etc

I was thinking of booting from my external, selecting the HD in disk utility and formatting it, but how to do a clean OS X install if i cant boot from the install DVD?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2009, 02:24 PM

Putting the HD in an external enclosure, and then either repairing/formatting it on the MacBook, or seeing if the MBP will boot from a CD/DVD when the internal hard drive is not present, and if it does, connect the enclosure and repair/format it?

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2009, 01:49 PM

Ugh, at the apple store right now dealing with the so called "genius" although I feel like I'm schooling him. Will let everyone know what the outcome is, supposedly I'm the first unibody with this issue anywhere (lie, he had no clue) so he is on the phone with Cupertino (lie, he spoke to someone in the back that knew more, lol, found out when that guy came and spoke he mentioned the guy helping me just called him, lol.)
( Last edited by cbrfanatic; Jan 30, 2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling)

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2009, 02:03 PM

Ok, apparently with the latest Macbooks/Pros, apple changed the start up codes and Nvidia Chipsets(although i have heard it is actually hardware issue and apple just says Nvidia chipset so you dont put in for a replacement). So any software that must boot on its own will not work until they update them. I asked well then why isnt my install disk working, or your retail copy working? He said he has no clue why they wont work so i asked him to go grab a disk from the box of a the same laptop from stock, so he went and grabbed one, put it in, and it didnt boot. Surprised he called someone over who knew more then he did, the guy took a look at the disk and told him that is the bundled software disk and to grab the other one in the box. He went back and got that one and put it in and it actually did boot up. This was from a new laptop they had just recieved, he said they might have changed the disk somehow. Being smart i brought my install Disks with me to demonstrate that mine actually did not work, so they swapped them out for the copy that did work.
This is just stupid.

Disk Warrior will not boot with the new codes until they update it
Drive Genius will not boot with the new codes until they update it, and i had a actual retail copy i bought on Nov 7th, the same day i came and bought the laptop!
Also, the retail copy of Leopard that is selling right now (!!!!!!) also will not boot until they update it.
The ONLY disk you can use is the exact copy that came with your laptop upon purchase so do not loose it! Make a copy or copies, etc.
( Last edited by cbrfanatic; Jan 29, 2009 at 05:07 PM. )

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2009, 04:42 PM

Just to clarify, those programs ( Disk Warrior, Drive Genius, etc ) will all work on said volume, and will work on main volume if run from an external, but will not boot on there own. I dont know if the makers of either are aware of this yet, ill see if i can get in touch with them.

For now is there anyone with a new macbook, or macbook pro that have a copy of either or both that is willing to try and test this out as well and see if that is actually the case and not just an isolated incident?

Looks like this is widespread with anyone with a new unibody pro. It involves booting from an external that was made on an older mac as well

Same Issue 1
Same Issue 2
Same Issue 3
( Last edited by cbrfanatic; Jan 29, 2009 at 05:48 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2009, 06:31 PM

Well, bootable discs needing an update is known, normal, and unavoidable. Apple doesn't give utility companies new versions of the boot disc software until long after the machines are released. If I'd realized this was a new unibody model, I probably would have figured this out, if not for the non-working boot discs included with the machine. That's just a big mistake on Apple's part.

As for retail discs: they are NEVER ok for machines released after the disc is made! You must always use an OS disc that was made either for the machine in question, or a retail disc made later. (For example, no retail copy of Tiger will boot any Intel Mac, since every single Intel Mac came with a machine-specific Tiger disc.)

As for external hard disks: they just need a software update. You can either update using the install discs from the unibody, or wait for 10.5.7 to come out, which will roll in support. Again, this is perfectly normal following a new hardware release, it happens every single time new models come out.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by tooki View Post
Well, bootable discs needing an update is known, normal, and unavoidable. Apple doesn't give utility companies new versions of the boot disc software until long after the machines are released. If I'd realized this was a new unibody model, I probably would have figured this out, if not for the non-working boot discs included with the machine. That's just a big mistake on Apple's part.

As for retail discs: they are NEVER ok for machines released after the disc is made! You must always use an OS disc that was made either for the machine in question, or a retail disc made later. (For example, no retail copy of Tiger will boot any Intel Mac, since every single Intel Mac came with a machine-specific Tiger disc.)

As for external hard disks: they just need a software update. You can either update using the install discs from the unibody, or wait for 10.5.7 to come out, which will roll in support. Again, this is perfectly normal following a new hardware release, it happens every single time new models come out.
What scared me was not having the disk that came with the computer not being able to boot. But now that i have copies that will work it is a sigh of relief. I still wished that DiskWarrior or Drive Genius would boot for the chance of something going wrong while im traveling, but since they work from the external i guess it is a compromise until things get sorted out.
Sucks for anyone who bought DW or DG copy with the new unibodies, lol.
CustomerGenius Bar

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2009, 04:06 AM

What scared me was not having the disk that came with the computer not being able to boot.
You're not the first person to experience this. Sometimes opticals just are bad. Even when they're 'brand new'. Usually Apple will swap bad install DVDs immediately when you tell them yours don't work. But judging from what you wrote your genius wasn't especially gifted.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 30, 2009 at 04:14 AM. )

Cold Warrior
Jan 30, 2009, 10:40 AM

I wonder if/when Apple will move to USB flash drives for its DVDs. It would certainly improve I/O when booting from the recovery stick.

I can't wait until discs are put down. CF chips and memory sticks are better. Think of how much room not having a DVD drive could save a notebook.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2009, 12:08 PM

I'll second that! I can't wait till all software gets distributed on USB memory sticks rather than on CDs or DVDs. But currently I guess a 9GB stick would still cost Apple a whole lot more than a DL DVD.

However, with 8 GB sticks going for as little as $13 we'll be getting there eventually I'm sure. I can't wait to see opticals go.

cbrfanatic  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2009, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I wonder if/when Apple will move to USB flash drives for its DVDs. It would certainly improve I/O when booting from the recovery stick.

I can't wait until discs are put down. CF chips and memory sticks are better. Think of how much room not having a DVD drive could save a notebook.
enough extra room for a revolutionary 24 hour battery on a single charge with wireless on? i am hoping too

Forum Links
Forum Rules