Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "Post-PC" Devices

"Post-PC" Devices (Page 8)
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 06:36 AM

Who cares if they do?

Complete dolts drive around in SUVs wasting petrol to compensate lack of penis and look cool to their peer group and attract members of their preferred sex.

That doesn't change the value of an SUV to people who actually require it as a tool, nor does it require them to be unduly emotionally attached to it.

You can rail on cult and hype and put the iPad off as a fad, and it certainly is to some extent. But it is finding its place in more ways that were imaginable just two years ago.

Case in point: TouchOSC. Do you have a remote for your DAW that will allow you to set loop points, edit insert FX, change monitor mix, arm/disarm tracks, and re-do takes from within the recording room? TouchOSC is $4 and supported natively by Logic; an iPad is $500. How much is an assistant per day?

This example may not figure into your personal set-up, but you can see how it opens up a completely different set of calculations.

Another example: synth editors. Since Apple killed SoundDiver, the only real alternative left AFAIK is Unisyn, which is €250 and whose interface is terrible. A used iPad, which will support a MIDI adapter, is €300, and some bloke has started building generic synth editors for $20 a pop. The interface is absolutely atrocious, but get somebody with a ****ing clue on the case, make the individual synth apps multi-touch compatible and sensibly laid-out, and you're looking at something pretty damn close to those Roland PG controllers. A PG-800 (for the JX8P/MKS70/JX10) is about €500 on the vintage market.

This is what I want.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You can rail on cult and hype and put the iPad off as a fad, and it certainly is to some extent. But it is finding its place in more ways that were imaginable just two years ago.

Case in point: TouchOSC. Do you have a remote for your DAW that will allow you to set loop points, edit insert FX, change monitor mix, arm/disarm tracks, and re-do takes from within the recording room? TouchOSC is $4 and supported natively by Logic; an iPad is $500.
Cheap monitor (mirrored).
Additional keyboard.
Additional mouse.

Not as "cool" as an iPad, but slightly more functional.
See where I'm coming from? Hip product in need of solutions to justify its existence.

Don't get me wrong - I went out and bought one just like the rest of you did. But let's face it - the most useful place for an iPad is the smallest, least hip room in the house. Now with added camera, should you need to catalogue your "output".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 07:14 AM

Haha. I actually did at that.

But just because some people don't have greater uses for iPads and other tablets doesn't mean they're not very useful to other people. My brother and I bought one a couple of months after it came out last year. Our mom started using it a lot even though she has a MBP. At some point we started leaving it with her most of the time, and she eventually said "thank you for giving me your iPad."

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Cheap monitor (mirrored).
Additional keyboard.
Additional mouse.

Not as "cool" as an iPad, but slightly more functional.
See where I'm coming from? Hip product in need of solutions to justify its existence.
As I said, I can see where YOU are coming from, but you're not seeing where I am coming from.

(Also, you apparently don't have multiple recording booths patchable through to multiple control rooms. )

Matter of fact, I don't even own an iPad yet. I haven't been able to justify it, yet. But I've also held off on Unisyn. I own a PG-800, and a big part of the reason I'm an analog nut is live controller surfaces.

Having a PG equivalent for two synths on the iPad for less than the price of a PG-800 would certainly guarantee a lot more use out of the DX and CZ I have sitting around - currently used mostly as preset players and for layering, as the "programming" "interface", such as it is, is fecking HORRENDOUS.

A used iPad with two $20 controller apps is certainly not "essential", but then again, people were making awesome records on 450 MHz G4 workstations, so anything that happened in the past ten years could certainly not be "essential" - except that complete workflows have evolved around them, because in the sum, things turned out to be advantageous, somehow.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 07:40 AM

As I said, I can see where YOU are coming from, but you're not seeing where I am coming from.
Yes I am - I'm just not convinced.

(Also, you apparently don't have multiple recording booths patchable through to multiple control rooms. )
If I did, I wouldn't be worrying about operating my own DAW from inside the booth, would I?

Having a PG equivalent for two synths on the iPad for less than the price of a PG-800 would certainly guarantee a lot more use out of the DX and CZ I have sitting around - currently used mostly as preset players and for layering, as the "programming" "interface", such as it is, is fecking HORRENDOUS.
Pussy! Try a Cheetah MS800 with no controller.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 08:32 AM

If I did, I wouldn't be worrying about operating my own DAW from inside the booth, would I?
if the studios were run by three people, and you couldn't necessarily count on any one of them being there at any particular time (since they're running their own projects concurrently), then you most certainly would.

I know studios that work like this.

Pussy! Try a Cheetah MS800 with no controller.
actually, it's not a DX, it's a TX7 - the tabletop variant. Two-line LCD and NO programming interface at all (except via MIDI).

Edit: just looked up the ms800, being unfamiliar with it - intriguing.
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; May 22, 2011 at 08:42 AM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2011, 07:52 AM

I say, damn! I had to order one of these! Should get it in a couple weeks.

ThinkGeek :: iCADE - iPad Arcade Cabinet
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

hayesk
May 25, 2011, 10:30 AM

^ It's a uni though, ain't it? ...full of people who require educating (if they didn't, they wouldn't be there. ).

Tablets may take over for casual leisure activities (i.e. surfing on the couch, reading on the beach, being at uni), but no way they're going to take over in the workplace. Not a chance...

1) Security risk (i.e. pads being left in odd places or stolen).
Just like a laptop or briefcase full of papers.
2) RSI lawsuit risk.
So is a bad chair, you're point?
3) Try typing the day's accounts in on a touch screen. No. Just no.
Your problem is that you've so narrowly defined "the workplace" as someone who sits in a cubicle typing all day. Think about jobs where you need to enter data but it doesn't consist of your entire job.
It's a fad.
You've failed to show that.

hayesk
May 25, 2011, 10:32 AM

Students don't sit around in coffee shops with new table saws in order to look cool to their peer group and attract members of their preferred sex.
No, they have a BBQ so they can invite all their friends over and show off their table saw at their house. Location and student status are irrelevant.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2011, 05:48 PM

iOS5 has made this thread official.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2011, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
iOS5 has made this thread official.
Nah that was Honeycomb.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 6, 2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Nah that was Honeycomb.
HC is too damned buggy and unstable.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
HC is too damned buggy and unstable.
Guy at work swapped his iPad2 for an Asus TF101 - he was also an iPad 1 owner. So far he hasn't complained. I still don't know whether to get the TF101 or an iPad2. The Micro SD slot + Flash usage is quite tempting.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2011, 05:37 AM

You can get the micro SD via the photography adapter if you need it - I find that I rarely use it. We've got both Android and iOS devices at work, for staff to use and test. This is of course anecdotal only, but the Android tablet is gathering dust whereas the iPads are all in daily use.

Flash on tablets is buggy and slow, except perhaps, surprisingly, on the BB Playbook.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Phileas View Post
You can get the micro SD via the photography adapter if you need it - I find that I rarely use it. We've got both Android and iOS devices at work, for staff to use and test. This is of course anecdotal only, but the Android tablet is gathering dust whereas the iPads are all in daily use.

Flash on tablets is buggy and slow, except perhaps, surprisingly, on the BB Playbook.
Think that I've asked this before : can I stock pdfs, ebooks and docs on the microSD and access them on the iPad2? If so I'll get one, but IIUC, it wasn't possible.

I want to stay with Apple, just for the easier integration with my Mac, but that Eeepad looks mighty tempting.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2011, 08:18 AM

Do you mean the Camera Connection Kit? I thought that was just to upload pictures from your memory card or camera to the iPad, not extra storage.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Do you mean the Camera Connection Kit? I thought that was just to upload pictures from your memory card or camera to the iPad, not extra storage.
That's what I understood as well. Pictures only.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2011, 09:43 AM

Sorry, I misunderstood. Yes, camera import only.

Storage is not an issue for me - I use dropbox as an unlimited (ok, limited to 350GB - we've got a corporate account) cloud server. Meaning I can access anything, anytime I like. Yes, I do need a network connection, but dropbox allows me to star stuff for local storage.

That solution might of course not work for you.

but that Eeepad looks mighty tempting.
Lots of people will probably disagree, but every single time I use Android, any version, I end up frustrated, as in this is the best you can do?
In comparison to the elegance of the iPad it feels clunky to me, app icons look inconsistent, screens clutter up, etc, etc...

I am, of course, a sucker for look and feel, which is most probably clouding my judgement on this issue.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2011, 10:06 AM

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S and while its pretty good, I don't think that its as good as an iPhone. I think (my humble opinion only) that Android is suffering from the same issues that Windows (in the past) has suffered in that they have to cater for lots of different hardware. There is alot to say about controlling both the operating system and the hardware. The phone freezes up with going from application to application. I've had force quits loads of times. Don't get me wrong, for the price and my 1 hour of calls per month, it does everything that I could ask for, but this OS on a tablet worries me a bit.

I get the feeling that I'm a beta tester.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2011, 06:16 AM

The Blackberry Playbook tablet is released in the UK today, but it won't be on O2 as they have some issues with the 'end to end user experience', whatever that actually means.

O2 UK spurns BlackBerry PlayBook, cites issues with 'end to end customer experience' -- Engadget

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

hayesk
Jun 17, 2011, 02:30 PM

Think that I've asked this before : can I stock pdfs, ebooks and docs on the microSD and access them on the iPad2? If so I'll get one, but IIUC, it wasn't possible.

I want to stay with Apple, just for the easier integration with my Mac, but that Eeepad looks mighty tempting.
Just curious, but where do these pdfs, ebooks, and docs come from that you can't get onto your iPad from DropBox, AirSharing, or other online methods?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2011, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Just curious, but where do these pdfs, ebooks, and docs come from that you can't get onto your iPad from DropBox, AirSharing, or other online methods?
They're on my iMac ATM. Moot problem now, I got the Asus TF101 without the docking station 16G version. 32G miniSD card holds all the books and other stuff that I want with the tablet.

Only problem so far is a greasy screen when the kids get their hands on it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2011, 02:50 PM

I bought the iPad 2 for the GF. She doesn't use it anymore. She's sticking with her 5 lb iBook.

I do not use it much either, since typing on it is a big pain. Now I am wondering if I should just cut my losses and sell it. One thing that really annoys me is the fact that I have it set up for her email, so I have to use the web interface for my Yahoo mail, and there is no security for the Mail app anyway. I wonder if iOS 5 solves this problem. It still probably will not get her to use the iPad much though.

hayesk
Jun 18, 2011, 09:30 PM

They're on my iMac ATM. Moot problem now, I got the Asus TF101 without the docking station 16G version. 32G miniSD card holds all the books and other stuff that I want with the tablet.
I realize it's moot for you, but it does show that the lack of SD slot is not really a problem for iPad users. Dropbox, Airsharing, or similar methods are just as easy, if not easier than using an SD card.

hayesk
Jun 18, 2011, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
One thing that really annoys me is the fact that I have it set up for her email, so I have to use the web interface for my Yahoo mail, and there is no security for the Mail app anyway.
Huh? It supports SSL, just like every other mail client. What security are you referring to?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2011, 09:58 PM

Huh? It supports SSL, just like every other mail client. What security are you referring to?
Account security. It's essentially a single-user device. It's not meant for multiple users. Or at least, iOS 4 isn't meant for multiple users, which seems ludicrous for a $500 full-sized tablet in 2011.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2011, 10:41 PM

Oh come on. It's a tablet, not a work station. Not meaning to comment on your relationship, but if you need to password protect your email then you've got bigger problems than worrying about multi user functionality on an iPad.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2011, 10:51 PM

Oh come on. It's a tablet, not a work station. Not meaning to comment on your relationship, but if you need to password protect your email then you've got bigger problems than worrying about multi user functionality on an iPad.
What he means is that you can essentially view either one account at a time, or all accounts at once, meaning he's going to have to sift through his wife's email accounts if he has more than one account, which is annoying. And vice versa.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
What he means is that you can essentially view either one account at a time, or all accounts at once, meaning he's going to have to sift through his wife's email accounts if he has more than one account, which is annoying. And vice versa.
Yep.

Plus, it's pretty hard to plan a surprise birthday party or something if that person has full access to all your accounts. Furthermore, I have work email accounts which have to maintain privacy. There is information in there that not even family members are allowed to see.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2011, 10:58 PM

Fair point - I didn't think. My wife and I have an iPad each, so this situation never comes up, but I cam see now how it could be annoying.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2011, 03:13 AM

New York Post blocks iPads on web to force app subscriptions | Electronista

The New York Post took a risky move to try and push iPad readers to its native iPad app. Those who try to visit the home page from mobile Safari, even from an alternate link, are redirected to a page linking to the app. Desktop users and even other mobile platforms, like Android, don't face the same limit.

Short of redirect tricks, the move effectively forces iPad owners to pay a minimum $7 per month or as much as $75 per year to get access.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2011, 07:22 AM

Yeah, that's working out well *

* I know I'm cheating.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2011, 10:26 AM

I realize it's moot for you, but it does show that the lack of SD slot is not really a problem for iPad users. Dropbox, Airsharing, or similar methods are just as easy, if not easier than using an SD card.
Except when there is no 3G or Wi-fi, I have all my stuff on the microSD card.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2011, 12:03 PM

Dropbox allows for local storage.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2011, 12:21 PM

I bought the iPad 2 for the GF. She doesn't use it anymore. She's sticking with her 5 lb iBook.

I do not use it much either, since typing on it is a big pain. Now I am wondering if I should just cut my losses and sell it.
Ahhh. The fad starts to crumble.

Not meaning to comment on your relationship, but if you need to password protect your email then you've got bigger problems than worrying about multi user functionality on an iPad.
"GF", not "wife" (or even "fiancee").

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2011, 01:15 PM

Live-in. Same thing. But see above, I've got the motivation wrong.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2011, 03:56 PM

Dropbox allows for local storage.
So does a microSD card.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2011, 04:08 PM

So does a microSD card.
No it doesn't. That was precisely the problem.

hayesk
Jun 19, 2011, 04:45 PM

But you said the files from from your iMac. Instead of copying them onto a microSD card, copy them on to your iPad.

hayesk
Jun 19, 2011, 04:51 PM

Account security. It's essentially a single-user device. It's not meant for multiple users. Or at least, iOS 4 isn't meant for multiple users, which seems ludicrous for a $500 full-sized tablet in 2011.
Fair enough - although it's pretty clear these things are personal use devices. I'm with you though, in that I wish there were some multi-user features to it.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2011, 07:09 PM

So does a microSD card.
Up to what? 32GB? And how do you get content on there? Sneaker-net? And then, how do you keep it up to date when you edit docs on your iMac? My, how 1998. Next stop, Antiques Road Show.

Ahem. Sorry I shall stop being an ass now.

I mean, my iPad comes with 64GB built in, my Dropbox account holds 350GB, all of which I can allocate and de-allocate to files locally stored on my iPad. On the fly, whenever the need arises. Not to mention that the majority of productivity apps for iPad now read and write to Dropbox. I don't know for certain, but I could imagine the same being true for Android, no?

Seriously, not trying to diss your SD card (well, maybe just a little) but even with that solution in place I could see you liking the Dropbox setup and the flexibility that comes with it. Maybe give it a shot and see if it works for you?

Cold Warrior
Jun 19, 2011, 10:28 PM

New York Post blocks iPads on web to force app subscriptions | Electronista

The New York Post took a risky move to try and push iPad readers to its native iPad app. Those who try to visit the home page from mobile Safari, even from an alternate link, are redirected to a page linking to the app. Desktop users and even other mobile platforms, like Android, don't face the same limit.

Short of redirect tricks, the move effectively forces iPad owners to pay a minimum $7 per month or as much as $75 per year to get access.
This is a crazy move. Apple should yank their iOS app.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2011, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This is a crazy move. Apple should yank their iOS app.
Why? Doesn't Apple get 30%?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2011, 07:17 AM

No it doesn't. That was precisely the problem.
You're confused. The microSD card is used as extra storage on the tablet. There is no problem.

But you said the files from from your iMac. Instead of copying them onto a microSD card, copy them on to your iPad.
I copied/ftped the files from my iMac onto the tablet, which has a microSD card as well as its internal storage. What's the issue here?

Up to what? 32GB? And how do you get content on there? Sneaker-net? And then, how do you keep it up to date when you edit docs on your iMac? My, how 1998. Next stop, Antiques Road Show.

Ahem. Sorry I shall stop being an ass now.

I mean, my iPad comes with 64GB built in, my Dropbox account holds 350GB, all of which I can allocate and de-allocate to files locally stored on my iPad. On the fly, whenever the need arises. Not to mention that the majority of productivity apps for iPad now read and write to Dropbox. I don't know for certain, but I could imagine the same being true for Android, no?

Seriously, not trying to diss your SD card (well, maybe just a little) but even with that solution in place I could see you liking the Dropbox setup and the flexibility that comes with it. Maybe give it a shot and see if it works for you?
My Dropbox is only 3G. Storing all my pdfs, chm files, stuff that I might want to read etc. would cost more than I care to pay. 95% of the time that I'll use my tablet will be near the iMac, which has AirPort on and allows ftp access - so I can share the internet connection and grab files on the iMac. I may be wrong, but I can't see that there would be any difference between using the ftp client that I have to get files from the iMac and the Dropbox client.

These files aren't updated, maybe I get more files (new books, pdfs etc) but I don't haver to keep them in sync (well I haven't seen the need so far).

The other times that I'll use the tablet, I'll be in the countryside without wi-fi or 3G access.

Strange, I feel that I'm having to justify not buying an Apple product.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2011, 02:14 PM

You're confused. The microSD card is used as extra storage on the tablet. There is no problem.
yeah, but we were talking about the iPad, and you stuck your tongue, so I replied in kind.

I'd like to see you use that microSD card as local storage on an iPad.

hayesk
Jun 20, 2011, 03:25 PM

Strange, I feel that I'm having to justify not buying an Apple product.
Sorry, didn't intend that. I just don't imagine needing more space than the iPad already has to store documents, etc. that I'll need for any length of time that I'd be away from my iMac, and away from a network.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2011, 03:51 PM

I'd like to see you use that microSD card as local storage on an iPad.
Nail, meet Hammer.

Exactly why I got the tablet. 48G of storage for 65€ less (cost of Asus + microSD card) than the 16G iPad.

hayesk, I get 3 weeks holiday during the summer, I need that large book collection on hand !!!!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2011, 03:57 PM

Nail, meet Hammer.

Exactly why I got the tablet. 48G of storage for 65€ less (cost of Asus + microSD card) than the 16G iPad.
That may be great for your particular needs, but it sure as hell ain't no iPad.

Cold Warrior
Jun 20, 2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Why? Doesn't Apple get 30%?
Yes, if anyone subscribes. But for everyone else the site is effectively breaking the concept of the internet and standards. The iPad is fully http capable and it makes apple look like a chump if its fancy iPad isn't allowed to browse a website.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Yes, if anyone subscribes. But for everyone else the site is effectively breaking the concept of the internet and standards. The iPad is fully http capable and it makes apple look like a chump if its fancy iPad isn't allowed to browse a website.
In theory yes, but I think in some respects the pundits are right to predict the death of the browser in favor of apps. That is to say, in a few years I think instead of going to www.place.com we'll all just use the Place app.

Forum Links
Forum Rules