Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Elio Motors cars, urban transportation

Elio Motors cars, urban transportation (Page 4)
subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2013, 01:42 PM

As an aside, I heard this on reddit and has so far completely held up.

When picking a line at the grocery store, don't pick the shortest line, pick the line with the least number of old people.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks to everyone who made his into a SUV thread. WTF ?

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
For me, most of the time it's an old person in a Buick, or some other big sedan. Like driving 10 miles with a turn signal on, or taking 10-20 seconds to sloooowly change lanes.
Around here, especially entering into Boston, the most maniacal drivers are almost always in a 5 series or A6 doing 95 MPH in dense traffic crossing several lanes at a time. Summer time brings all the tanks from the surrounding areas to visit Cape Cod, and seeing them attempt to reverse out of a small liquor store parking lot is excruciating.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
A. First two examples are entirely anecdotal.

B. I'm not trying to say you can't own a sports car, I'm just saying that 99.9% of the time, you don't need a vehicle that can exceed 45 mph. I mean, you might, but most don't.
Bull-f**king-sh!t, stop being intentionally obtuse. I rarely drive on the highway and my avg speed, since buying the car, mathematically works out so that I travel at or above 45 MPH quite a bit of the time. Anyone, and I mean anyone, in this thread who has the same feature in their car will also see the same results. You'd have to live in a small beach community to only travel above 45 MPH .1% of the time. I'll admit my info on SUV safety was dated...now please stop this line of inane bullsh!t about car speeds.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Bull-f**king-sh!t, stop being intentionally obtuse. I rarely drive on the highway and my avg speed, since buying the car, mathematically works out so that I travel at or above 45 MPH quite a bit of the time. Anyone, and I mean anyone, in this thread who has the same feature in their car will also see the same results. You'd have to live in a small beach community to only travel above 45 MPH .1% of the time. I'll admit my info on SUV safety was dated...now please stop this line of inane bullsh!t about car speeds.

Yeah, this speed comparison/argument and the "save the planet" snort was a little too much for me. The comparison because it is just so illogical and incomparable, and the save the planet stuff because even if you insist on disbelieving the climate change scientific consensus (outlined pretty well here: Scientific opinion on climate change - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), there is still plain old air pollution like el chup has been pointing out, gas consumption and its geopolitical ramifications, and the simple practicality of having lower gas expenses to consider even before getting into climate change, which wasn't even brought up in this thread until ebuddy started citing "Obamacorps" and his aforementioned "save the planet" comments.

I haven't really figured out why this is evoking such an emotional response from him.

Then again, I too appreciate my education from ebuddy on how SUVs have changed to be far more safe, and handling more like cars. I drove a rental SUV (a Santa Fe, whomever makes those) on a camping trip with my family and noticed that it handled very much like a car. I wonder how many people buy or rent these thinking they would be appropriate for offroading?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I drove a rental SUV (a Santa Fe, whomever makes those) on a camping trip with my family and noticed that it handled very much like a car. I wonder how many people buy or rent these thinking they would be appropriate for offroading?
A Hyundai Sante Fe is absolutely not an SUV, it uses the same chassis as a Hyundai Sonata sedan. It would be as good at off-roading as a normal passenger car.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2013, 07:47 AM

So... I'm getting berated because;
  • A. Y'all are saying; SUVs = URBAN ASSAULT VEHICLES. ebuddy; okay, cars= zippy little Formula 1 race cars.
  • B. Y'all are saying; 99.9% of the time, (regardless of what SUV owners claim or the occupancy stats cited in this thread) they don't need and aren't using the extra cargo space. ebuddy: okay, regardless of what Formula 1 zippy little race car owners are saying, (with nothing to substantiate their opinions) they don't need to exceed 50 mph 99.9% of the time.
  • C. Y'all; SUV owners talking on their cell phones, weaving in and out of lanes! ebuddy; Formula 1, zippy little race cars zipping across lanes on their cell phones and taking photos of others' SUVs while driving!
  • D. Y'all; PEOPLE ARE DYING! ebuddy; PEOPLE ARE DYING!
  • E. Y'all; SAVE THE PLANET, YOU DON'T NEED ALL THAT VEHICLE! ebuddy; SAVE THE PLANET, YOU DON'T NEED ALL THAT VEHICLE!

Yeah -- I can see why what I've said in this thread would be so damning and judgmental. Y'all don't give up on me okay?!?
ebuddy

andi*pandi
Jul 15, 2013, 12:24 PM

A Hyundai Sante Fe is absolutely not an SUV, it uses the same chassis as a Hyundai Sonata sedan. It would be as good at off-roading as a normal passenger car.
^truth.

I don't even have a proper SUV, but I feel like defending them somehow. I think because I secretly want one, but know it's not practical, from a monthly payment/gas mileage perspective. Every time I have to pack up for a long trip, I wish I had more space. I suppose I'll just buy a clamshell for the roof.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2013, 12:57 PM

Y'all are saying; SUVs = URBAN ASSAULT VEHICLES. ebuddy; okay, cars= zippy little Formula 1 race cars.
I'm glad my 2.0L Kia Forte can be classified as a F1 car.

Y'all are saying; 99.9% of the time, (regardless of what SUV owners claim or the occupancy stats cited in this thread) they don't need and aren't using the extra cargo space. ebuddy: okay, regardless of what Formula 1 zippy little race car owners are saying, (with nothing to substantiate their opinions) they don't need to exceed 50 mph 99.9% of the time.
You'd have to be dense to think that people travel over 45mph only .1% of the time. People travel over 45mph more often than SUVs are filled with people and cargo.

Y'all; SAVE THE PLANET, YOU DON'T NEED ALL THAT VEHICLE! ebuddy; SAVE THE PLANET, YOU DON'T NEED ALL THAT VEHICLE!
I'm certainly not concerned for the planet, I'm just mocking the decision of people to buy big tanks when they really don't need them. I'm a contractor, I need cargo space and towing ability. How many SUVs you see driving around even have a trailer hitch? Also, back to your utterly inane speed nonsense, I can maintain 35+MPG while traveling at 80MPH....not bad right? If I'm going about 50MPH I can get my car over 40MPG. Wanna wager a guess on the MPG of a V8 SUV traveling at 80MPH on the highway?

I've already admitted I was wrong with my outdated information on the overall safety of modern SUVs. You, however, can be both a bad winner and a massive ninny about a complete non-issue all at the same time...in true PWL fashion.

I also brought up a damn good point that anyone has yet to comment on. That passenger cars are heavily used by commuters driving into busy metropolises, and thus are put in more danger than other types of vehicles, resulting in a higher fatality rate for cars based on where they are primarily used. I did some google-fu, but was unable to find any stats with this level of granularity. Thoughts?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2013, 04:03 PM

I like to address good points, but I don't really understand it. Can you rephrase?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2013, 04:33 PM

Figures on death per vehicle class show that SUVs are actually safer than passenger cars. However, I postulate that passenger cars are more frequently used in dangerous situations, like commuting into a busy metropolis, than SUVs and that would account for the disparity in death figures. If you had a two-vehicle household, one car and one SUV, which vehicle do you think would do the bulk of the driving? Packing the Yukon up and heading to a campground is far less dangerous than driving back and forth through a busy city twice a day.

Also, there isn't much info on what constitutes a "crash" in their data either. Getting into a pileup on a superhighway and going off into a ditch on backroads are both motor vehicle accidents, but one is going to be a lot more deadly than the other. My hypothesis is: The typical accident (both location, speed, etc..) for a passenger car is a different animal than the typical accident for an SUV. I could be wrong, and preliminary googling revealed nothing to either support of dispute my claim.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2013, 04:34 PM

He's saying that the higher fatality numbers of cars over SUVs is due to selection bias, the same way motorcycle crash stats are undoubtedly boosted at least partly by the fact that risk-takers and rule-breakers tend to choose motorcycles. Cities are more dangerous for traffic fatalities than highways and rural areas, and cars are drawn to cities, while larger more off-road-friendly vehicles are drawn away from them.

d'oh, too slow

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2013, 04:45 PM

...However, I postulate that passenger cars are more frequently used in dangerous situations, like commuting into a busy metropolis, than SUVs and that would account for the disparity in death figures...
What about the minivans?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 15, 2013, 04:48 PM

Okay, but isn't safety info also based on tests? Which also show the same data?

I admit, the first question is a statement masquerading as a question, but the second one is legit.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
What about the minivans?
I think minivans speak for themselves. Large people-carriers built to the safety specifications of passenger cars equals most safe vehicle. I guess Minivans would also enjoy a similar status of not commuting into dangerous areas as often as well.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 15, 2013, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Okay, but isn't safety info also based on tests? Which also show the same data?

I admit, the first question is a statement masquerading as a question, but the second one is legit.
Reading comprehension is hard, I had been operating under the notion that the IIHS link eBuddy posted was about actual death figures for real-world crashes, and not simply crash test data. Real-world figures of deaths per vehicle type show that the vehicle classes are closer than the crash test data shows, and even more interesting are any number of data sets about the danger certain types of vehicles pose to other vehicles...which is also something worth noting. I remember some time back where the Ford Excursion had to be fitted with a special bar in the front of the vehicle to keep it from pancaking smaller cars during an accident.

At any rate I'm far to tired from being in the sun all day to scour the internet for concise tables and charts right now. I stand corrected on the overall safety of SUVs, but remain ardent on their over-use by people with no need to own them. Not to say those that do own them are dumb poopy-heads, but some of them would be better served picking an overall more efficient vehicle for their needs. The newer and more safe SUVs would appear on the surface to be a great improvement, but the danger these behemoths pose other drivers cannot be ignored.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 17, 2013, 04:10 PM

A. First two examples are entirely anecdotal. There are three other people in this thread arguing your view, but happen to own SUVs for their towing capabilities, safety, and cargo space. Your "99.9%" of the time argument is likely flawed, but you won't accept that so... I don't except your alleged need to exceed 45 mph.
**** that. Also, ACCEPT not except. Not that I expect you to know the difference, since you're defending SUVs and therefore obviously mentally inferior to myself.

Towing:

Cargo space (5 people+ a dog + luggage + skis + snowboards):

Every ****ing yahoo at the boat launch has their stupid F-Teen-Thousand to tow their shitty alumacraft, and I don't understand it at all. Why do people think you can't tow things with a car?

And I get 24mpg and have 300hp and huge brakes. Suck it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( Last edited by knifecarrier2; Jul 17, 2013 at 04:54 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jul 17, 2013, 05:48 PM

to be truthful, not every car can tow. You have to know the weights/limits etc, and a big truck makes people feel they don't have to worry about that.

I have a tow bar on the subaru, I had to get it installed extra.... all for a bike rack. I want to tow something else though just to prove I can. Popup camper maybe.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2013, 05:49 PM

There's been many people are telling me that my car can't tow what it tows - despite evidence to the contrary.

andi*pandi
Jul 17, 2013, 06:01 PM

rowr.

this was more what I was thinking:
rental pricewise, anyhow.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2013, 06:16 PM

Finally a quality Rob post to save this thread. Woot!

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2013, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
rowr.

this was more what I was thinking:
rental pricewise, anyhow.
It came in surprisingly affordable, even after an interior remodel. They aren't all that expensive if you go for a vintage model.

(PS: I just realized I've never pinged you back about the camera. Will do so now. )

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Finally a quality Rob post to save this thread. Woot!

-t
Rob is making a good point though.

When it comes to towing, you have two kinds of people - in the one corner is the "You need a truck to tow any trailer" brigade. In the other corner are those of us who actually understand weight distribution, axle weight, total vehicle weight, tongue weight and how all of these play together to create a safe towing experience.

A late generation van is a more capable tow vehicle than most 1/2 ton trucks - and even some 3/4 tons. Better brakes, lower centre of gravity, wider wheel stance, far better fuel economy from powerful engines. But try and explain that to a truck die-hard.

Chances are, Rob's car could tow my 6500lbs Airstream without much of an issue.
( Last edited by Phileas; Jul 17, 2013 at 09:32 PM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 17, 2013, 10:08 PM

Same with basically every SUV on the road today; Escape, Edge, Explorer, Traverse, Equinox, Capwhatever, Pathfinder, Juke, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Journey, RAV4, Venza, CRV, Pilot, etc. are all based on sedan/unibody platforms. If you're only concerned about body-on-frame SUVs, you're talking maybe 1 or 2 models per manufacturer now; Expedition, Land Cruiser, Tahoe/Suburban, Armada, etc.

I think it's hilarious that besson thinks his Corolla is better to drive than an SUV. I'd pick my 4000lb SUV over a Corolla any day of the week, and I've driven lots of Corollas. It's the worst-driving small car you can get.

Originally Posted by knifecarrier2 View Post
And I get 24mpg and have 300hp and huge brakes. Suck it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha...my SUV has gobs more interior space, just as much power (naturally aspirated, for less complexity and fewer points of failure, oh and where'd you find that extra 10 horses?), much higher towing capacity, much higher quality interior, and gets better mpg. And it's not even the efficient model.

So to those of you complaining about SUVs: Do you have an issue with the sedan-based unibody small/crossover SUVs? Or just the full size body-on-frame units?

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 18, 2013, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Same with basically every SUV on the road today; Escape, Edge, Explorer, Traverse, Equinox, Capwhatever, Pathfinder, Juke, Durango, Grand Cherokee, Journey, RAV4, Venza, CRV, Pilot, etc. are all based on sedan/unibody platforms. If you're only concerned about body-on-frame SUVs, you're talking maybe 1 or 2 models per manufacturer now; Expedition, Land Cruiser, Tahoe/Suburban, Armada, etc
Does not matter. Even if they are unibody SUVs they are still reinforced to take punishment offroad, even when none of them do this. Why? Image. When magazine journalists take all these stupid lemming mobiles for a test, the manufacturer doesn't want to lose face so they make them with taller tires (worse response), knobbier tires than car tires (worse traction on the road), and a reinforced chassis (crushes less) all with a mass that winds up being much higher than their car based counterparts, which translates to worse braking, cornering, slalom, and accident avoidance compared to a car.

Hahaha...my SUV has gobs more interior space,
Maybe. I don't have gigantic wheel arches narrowing the cargo area. Sometimes wagons can fit more than a comparable SUV because of this. Not sure.

just as much power (naturally aspirated, for less complexity and fewer points of failure, oh and where'd you find that extra 10 horses?),
Rounded up (290-300 whatev) I'm sure your SUV is heavier too, hence slower, so... yay?

much higher towing capacity,
Which you need for.... ??? I tow my boat every weekend in the summer. It works fine. I don't need a higher towing capacity, and judging by 99.9999% of the boats in the water, neither does anybody else.

much higher quality interior
K. Sure. Totally.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 06:05 AM

Some have boats, while others have boats.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2013, 07:15 AM

Big things can tow big things, small things can also tow small things.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 07:28 AM

Just saying a Subaru wagon isn't going to safely tow a 26' Sea Ray.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2013, 09:13 AM

One of the things that ALMOST swayed me to the Santa Fe, was the TON of cargo space it had. Then again the roof was much harder to access.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jul 19, 2013 at 10:11 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 18, 2013, 09:54 AM

Does not matter. Even if they are unibody SUVs they are still reinforced to take punishment offroad, even when none of them do this. Why? Image. When magazine journalists take all these stupid lemming mobiles for a test, the manufacturer doesn't want to lose face so they make them with taller tires (worse response),
My stock tires: 245/50
Your stock tires: 225/60

Smaller sidewalls are better, so my car wins. Check.

knobbier tires than car tires (worse traction on the road),
My stock tires:

Knobby offroad tires. Check.

and a reinforced chassis
[citation needed]

all with a mass that winds up being much higher than their car based counterparts
The mass is higher than the sedan counterpart, but so is the capability. Toss a recliner in the trunk of a sedan. Oops, you can't. Etc. I'm not sure you have any room to complain about mass. At 3924lb, your car is heavier than any compact SUV and on par with most crossovers, while getting worse gas mileage and being smaller and less capable. Actually I hope I got that curb weight wrong, as that's horrible.

which translates to worse braking,
Stopping distance 60-0 is 1 foot shorter than the sedan it's based on.

cornering, slalom,
Pulls 0.82 on the skidpad. Couldn't find numbers for your car. I'd be surprised if it was any better. The body roll in the sedan that Motorweek reviewed was horrendous.

Maybe. I don't have gigantic wheel arches narrowing the cargo area. Sometimes wagons can fit more than a comparable SUV because of this. Not sure.
No "maybe", no "not sure". It absolutely positively does have more interior space. Not just cargo space. I have an extra 5 inches of rear legroom. That's the difference between coach and business class.

Rounded up (290-300 whatev)
Let's see the dyno sheet.

I'm sure your SUV is heavier too, hence slower, so... yay?
Yes, it's 75 pounds heavier than your car. 0-60 time is within a few tenths.

Which you need for.... ??? I tow my boat every weekend in the summer. It works fine. I don't need a higher towing capacity, and judging by 99.9999% of the boats in the water, neither does anybody else.
I need a higher towing capacity for...towing bigger things? Although considering how friggin' heavy your car is, it's probably pretty stable with a load behind it.

K. Sure. Totally.
You don't believe there could exist a higher quality interior than what Audi used in 1995? Materials and design has not advanced since then? Talk to me about bluetooth integration. Oh, I guess you don't need that cause you still have a carphone, right?

And you conveniently forgot about my car being much more capable than yours while performing equally or better and still getting better gas mileage.

You just need so much for SUVs to be bad that you can't face facts. So much of your life has been dedicated to trashing something you have no experience with that you're blinded by your own hatred for inanimate objects.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 18, 2013, 10:23 AM

I don't understand how someone who likes such interesting cars bought such a boring boat.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2013, 11:23 AM

More importantly if you can afford a boat like that you're probably not a 2 car family.

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 18, 2013, 12:21 PM

My stock tires: 245/50
Your stock tires: 225/60

Smaller sidewalls are better, so my car wins. Check.
I don't know what you have, but if you have an SUV it is not a car. The government does not classify it as a car either. It meets completely different safety requirements (worse requirements). Also, not sure about that. Sidewall numbers are the ASPECT RATIO of width. So I may very well have small sidewalls than you, because the width is smaller.

My stock tires:

Knobby offroad tires. Check.
Those look like SUV tires. Tall blocky noisy tread that is works on the road but is not ideal. This looks like a car tire:
"A passenger car's tires will usually have lateral grooves that are more swept-back than those of SUV tires. This allows more rubber to contact the road at any given point, increasing the tire's dry-road grip and on road performance. SUV tires generally have more squared-off tread blocks to increase the pound-per-square-inch force where the tire contacts the ground. SUV tires will generally have a lower speed rating than their passenger car counterparts. According to BF Goodrich, this is due largely to the tire's knobby tread, which is less capable of dissipating the sustained heat of high speed than a car tire's larger tread blocks."

[citation needed]- depends from model to model. Not sure what you want.

The mass is higher than the sedan counterpart, but so is the capability. Toss a recliner in the trunk of a sedan. Oops, you can't. Etc.
Totally. If you ignore capabilities like slalom, cornering, rollover angle, center of gravity, mpg, safety, top speed, acceleration, interior volume, etc and only look at towing capacity and cargo room, yeah, SUV = more capable. I don't ignore those things though.

I'm not sure you have any room to complain about mass. At 3924lb, your car is heavier than any compact SUV and on par with most crossovers, while getting worse gas mileage and being smaller and less capable. Actually I hope I got that curb weight wrong, as that's horrible.
And if my FULLSIZE 18 year old car was an SUV, it'd be even heavier. My point was that two vehicles of comparable size, year, construction, etc, the SUV will be heavier. And more top heavy. As for my car's weight, it really isn't that bad, especially when you look at the weight of other fullsize vehicles (even today). Ford Taurus is 3800, Any crown vic/marquis/towncar (4300), NEWER a6/S6 (4300!), etc etc etc.

Stopping distance 60-0 is 1 foot shorter than the sedan it's based on.

Pulls 0.82 on the skidpad. Couldn't find numbers for your car. I'd be surprised if it was any better. The body roll in the sedan that Motorweek reviewed was horrendous.
.85, stock. Not that grip (skidpad) tells you anything about handling (slalom).

No "maybe", no "not sure". It absolutely positively does have more interior space. Not just cargo space. I have an extra 5 inches of rear legroom. That's the difference between coach and business class.
No idea what you're yammering on about.

Let's see the dyno sheet.
MRC Tuning Stage 1. Google it.

Yes, it's 75 pounds heavier than your car. 0-60 time is within a few tenths.
And I chipped my car getting an additional 60hp, so...

I need a higher towing capacity for...towing bigger things? Although considering how friggin' heavy your car is, it's probably pretty stable with a load behind it.
You quoted "much higher towing capacity" as this strong argument... considering I tow everything I need just fine, I'm wondering what you tow that is bigger than what I tow... cuz I'm just guessing that it isn't.

You don't believe there could exist a higher quality interior than what Audi used in 1995? Materials and design has not advanced since then? Talk to me about bluetooth integration. Oh, I guess you don't need that cause you still have a carphone, right?
Actually, NO. The interior quality of german cars in the early to mid 90s was pretty unparalelled; that was the main selling point. When japanese premium brands started gaining hold in the mid 90s (acura, infinti, lexus etc) the german brands were caught off guard by the lack of "gadgets". This threw them into a tailspin, as they scrambled for ways to reduce cost/materials/manufacturing in order to remain competitive. It is universally known that the C4 chassis (92-97) has a FAR better built interior than the C5 or C6 chassis, probably rivals the C7. This is the same for the old W140 benzes and E28 5 series as well; the old ones are simply better built. My seats are recaro, heated in the front, and in the rear. Anyway, I installed an in-dash satnav with bluetooth and whatnot to help modernize it so... ?

And you conveniently forgot about my car being much more capable than yours while performing equally or better and still getting better gas mileage.
Because it doesn't. It's slower, heavier, taller, has more drivetrain loss (guessing you have an auto) has less grip, worse braking, and I'm guessing it's slalom speed is a joke as well.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 01:38 PM

I bet Laminar's AM/FM radio is a joke too.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 02:20 PM

I don't understand how someone who likes such interesting cars bought such a boring boat.
Now you're just being a tool.

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
More importantly if you can afford a boat like that you're probably not a 2 car family.
It was ~$35k (I forget exactly), which while not cheap, isn't "huge" money either.
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 02:24 PM

$35K is a steal for that boat.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 02:32 PM

$35K is a steal for that boat.
It was a great deal (2004 Sundancer 260). Although used, it had spent ~95% of its life wrapped in dry storage and was almost immaculate.
- Thomas Paine

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 02:54 PM

Shaddim: is your first time Todd?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2013, 03:24 PM

to be truthful, not every car can tow
No problem without solution.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 18, 2013, 03:33 PM

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2013, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
No problem without solution.
<beetle>
The recommended cargo weight for that roof is around 165 lbs (according to Yakima). The ATV is probably triple that weight, especially when a human is guiding it on or off the car. I wonder how far he made it without damage.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 03:42 PM

Shaddim: is your first time Todd?
What does that mean?
- Thomas Paine

knifecarrier2
Baninated
Jul 18, 2013, 03:48 PM

Now you're just being a tool.
Didn't mean to be. You buy interesting stuff but your boat is like a toyota camry. I have no idea what it looks like and I just saw it 5 seconds ago. That's cool though, still fun to be on the water.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2013, 03:50 PM

As an aside, I heard this on reddit and has so far completely held up.

When picking a line at the grocery store, don't pick the shortest line, pick the line with the least number of old people.
Works for airport security, too. It's like they don't realize that the $6.28 in nickels and pennies in their pockets is metallic.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2013, 04:13 PM

Back on topic, Honda builds motorcycles in Thailand that sell for about what these guys think they're going to make this in the US for. Maybe they went all Tata Nano on it, but I'll believe it when I see them on the road.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 04:19 PM

Didn't mean to be. You buy interesting stuff but your boat is like a toyota camry. I have no idea what it looks like and I just saw it 5 seconds ago. That's cool though, still fun to be on the water.
Actually, you previously said my cars are sh*t, so the comment about the boat would fit with that MO...
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 06:05 PM

Works for airport security, too. It's like they don't realize that the $6.28 in nickels and pennies in their pockets is metallic.
Automatic advantage of access to frequent flier check-ins / security lines: keeps the 80 year old n00bs out.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 06:53 PM

What does that mean?
The guy who owns that boat pic is Todd.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 08:17 PM

The guy who owns that boat pic is Todd.
I didn't have a photo of my boat on its trailer (to show the magnitude of what would need to be hauled around), so I grabbed one that was the same year, model, and color.

Mine:

The one I used:

- Thomas Paine

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2013, 08:53 PM

It's cool, I'm just saying that the owner of the boat pic is magick72, a guy named Todd. I was just wondering if your name is Todd. Don't worry, I'm not going to stalk you or something, I just find it interesting putting real names to internet personalities. I wouldn't have made you out to be a Todd.

Forum Links
Forum Rules