Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Android vs. iPhone OS

Android vs. iPhone OS (Page 2)
seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 15, 2011, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Windows Phone 7 is really nice. I've got one in my bag right now. I much prefer the WP7 user experience to Android (and I don't mind the Android UX too much). WP7's problem right now is that it feels only smartISH; like it's not a completely realized smartphone yet. "Yet" being the operative word here. iOS was only smartISH in it's first iteration as well. But, I suspect WP7 will grow up fast in it's next major revision, at which point we might start to see more of an impact from that OS; rolling out with Nokia (who also needs to make an impact again) might help as well.
I was willing to give WP7 a chance, until it threw up a stupid error message a'la WM6.

Want to install a self signed certificate? iPhone - press 'Accept'. Android? - press 'Accept'. WP7? Get the certificate from the server, transfer it to the phone, then install it, then carry on with what you were doing. I gave up.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles View Post
Sorry but that simply is not a valid solution for the Android platform as a whole. If it does not work on the stock Android that either comes with the Phone or is updated by the manufacturer then Android is a failure from the average end user's point of view.

You cannot expect the average Joe to "root" their phone, assuming it is even possible on their Android phone to begin with, just to have a usable experience.

Most Android phone owners probably not even use their phone as a "smart phone" which means that they might make calls on it, text and facebook but that is about it.

Expecting people to use a non-stock Android is like expecting people to jailbreak their iPhones in large number just to get it working right which is simply not going to happen. iOS has to work well enough out of the box and I don't get why geeks are giving Android so much slack that they think it is ok for it to not work right and expect people to "root" their phones to get it to actually function properly.
I didn't say it was a valid solution as a whole (and I've ranted on about it being a terrible way to promote "openness" on these forums). I was specifically asking you a question in response to your statement, not saying that everyone should root their phones and hack them. Sheesh. What I am saying is that the difference in the Android experience from, say, a Nexus S with Android as it actually ships from Google, to a Droid X (or any other device), is wildly different.

Forum Links
Forum Rules