Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math???

Police discrimination, misconduct, Ferguson, MO, the Roman Legion, and now math??? (Page 76)
ghporter
Administrator
Oct 1, 2016, 09:07 AM

Pointing something at a police officer "like a gun", especially when the officer is already pointing his gun at you, is a Bad Thing To Do. Mentally ill or not. As for "they knew he was mentally ill beforehand," how does that make it less dangerous to the cops? Is he unstable enough to actually HAVE a gun? Would it have been better for the officers to have found out he did have a gun by having one of the officers shot?

This is certainly NOT anything like the situation where the cop shot the therapist who was trying to protect his autistic patient. Armchair quarterbacking is never helpful when those armchair quarterbacks lack both the full information about the event AND the events leading to the event.

I'm not saying all police shootings are OK. But they are not all bad either.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Pointing something at a police officer "like a gun", especially when the officer is already pointing his gun at you, is a Bad Thing To Do. Mentally ill or not.
Agreed.

As for "they knew he was mentally ill beforehand," how does that make it less dangerous to the cops? Is he unstable enough to actually HAVE a gun? Would it have been better for the officers to have found out he did have a gun by having one of the officers shot?
It doesn't make it less dangerous. Hence why they should have CONTAINED the situation and waited for the Psychiatric Emergency Response Team rather than putting themselves in harm's way by APPROACHING the man to make an arrest.

This is precisely why such a unit exists. To bring people who are TRAINED in how to deal with someone who is having a mental breakdown in to handle the situation.

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2016, 10:26 AM

It would appear that Sitting on Your Mother's Porch While Black is a thing now. This situation is very reminiscent of the Prof. Henry Louis Gates fiasco. A police encounter that initially occurred for a totally LEGITIMATE reason. But the situation then devolved into police brutality because this officer cop just REFUSED to believe this man was locked out of his own mother's house in a nice neighborhood and waiting on her to arrive with the key. Even after the guy showed him his ID with that address. Just like in the Gates situation that was the point when the cops should have said "Have a nice day Mr. Yourse. Sorry to bother you." and then LEFT. But that would have been too much like right.

A police officer in Greensboro, North Carolina, was stripped of law enforcement credentials this week by the city council, which released body camera footage showing him violently arresting a man sitting on his porch.

City council voted unanimously Monday to permanently sanction Officer Travis Cole for using excessive force during the June arrest. The body camera footage shows Cole roughly throwing Dejuan Yourse to the floor of the porch and punching him as Yourse waited for his mom to come home and let him into the house, according to local news WREG.

The council pushed for criminal charges against Cole, but the district attorney refused, saying he wouldn’t “rehash the same evidence,” the Greensboro News & Record reported.

Cole and another officer approached Yourse’s house after they were dispatched to investigate a possible break-in on June 17.

As seen in body camera footage from both officers, combined below, Yourse explains that he’s waiting for his mom, who has lived in the neighborhood for 10 years, and visits her house every day.

Yourse is seen on the video attempting to phone his mom so she can speak to the officers. He gives the officers his ID, which lists the address as his residence, and he suggests the officers ask a neighbor to verify that he lives there.

The exchange escalates when Cole places his hands on Yourse’s chest to stop him from walking away. After Yourse sits back down, Cole snatches Yourse’s phone from his hand while Yourse is talking to someone, asking the person to come to his house because “the police is over here and they harassing me.”

Cole then throws Yourse to the floor and struggles to handcuff him. Amid the scuffle, Yourse repeatedly asks Cole why he’s punching him. When Cole yells, “I’m going to hit you again,” Yourse yells back, “Why?”

The cops charged Yourse with resisting arrest and assault on government officials. The charges were dropped when Cole resigned from his position in August. The second officer involved in Yourse’s arrest, C.N. Jackson, quit her job on Wednesday. Both ex-officers are white.
Video Shows Carolina Cop Violently Arrest Black Man For Sitting On His Porch | Huffington Post

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Oct 1, 2016 at 10:57 AM. )

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 1, 2016, 06:08 PM

Yep, this is escalating and it's going to get worse. What we need to help relieve these tensions are a few more riots...
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 1, 2016, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
It would appear that Sitting on Your Mother's Porch While Black is a thing now.
Came for this. Not disappointed.

---

This isn't helping: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e539f3cc1ffe

In the class recorded for “Do Not Resist,” Grossman at one point tells his students that the sex they have after they kill another human being will be the best sex of their lives. The room chuckles. But he’s clearly serious. “Both partners are very invested in some very intense sex,” he says. “There’s not a whole lot of perks that come with this job. You find one, relax and enjoy it.”

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2016, 12:51 PM

It would appear that Sitting on Your Mother's Porch While Black is a thing now. This situation is very reminiscent of the Prof. Henry Louis Gates fiasco. A police encounter that initially occurred for a totally LEGITIMATE reason. But the situation then devolved into police brutality because this officer cop just REFUSED to believe this man was locked out of his own mother's house in a nice neighborhood and waiting on her to arrive with the key. Even after the guy showed him his ID with that address. Just like in the Gates situation that was the point when the cops should have said "Have a nice day Mr. Yourse. Sorry to bother you." and then LEFT. But that would have been too much like right.

Video Shows Carolina Cop Violently Arrest Black Man For Sitting On His Porch | Huffington Post

OAW
Until these assholes start facing charges for their crimes, it will never end. Simply firing them is not enough, as they just find a job in another town and wait for their appeals to go through. Lock em up, and double the sentence for committing the crime under the color of law.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 4, 2016, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Until these assholes start facing charges for their crimes, it will never end. Simply firing them is not enough, as they just find a job in another town and wait for their appeals to go through. Lock em up, and double the sentence for committing the crime under the color of law.
Agreed. But in this instance while it is unfortunate the DA declined to prosecute it is a good thing that he was stripped of his law enforcement credentials by the city council. But the question then becomes does that require him to find a new line of work outside that city? One would hope so.

Law Enforcement Certification: Applicants

OAW

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2016, 03:37 PM

Agreed. But in this instance while it is unfortunate the DA declined to prosecute it is a good thing that he was stripped of his law enforcement credentials by the city council. But the question then becomes does that require him to find a new line of work outside that city? One would hope so.
That's more evidence that the police are above the law. If you break it, you should be held accountable from a criminal prosecution standpoint, not a legislative/administrative process. Breaking your oath as an officer of the law should be a criminal penalty in it of itself, with the assault and battery committed by the officer as a separate charge.

There is nothing to prevent him from being hired outside of the city, nor would he necessarily be legally required to disclose the fact that he was stripped of his credentials to any new potential employers, nor would any prospective employers be required to consider this incident in their hiring process.

Catching a charge is tantamount to a lifetime black mark on your resume. Getting fired by a city is not so permanent, nor would it show up on a background check. So while this asshole is wrongfully putting possibly hundreds of people behind bars, he commits a far worse crime (assault aggravated by committing it under the color of law). This one was caught on camera - how many more weren't? I bet you it's a lot.

This is where the system is unfairly stacked against the underprivileged and the police enjoy far too long of leash, and why the cops are having such a hard time keeping themselves in check - there's simply no deterrent for beating the ever living shit out of anyone and everyone and their rights, regardless of the law they are supposed to be upholding. There is simply no recourse within the framework of the system for the oppressed unless you have a few zeros in your bank account and a lawyer on retainer.

Justice was not done here, nor should anyone be remotely satisfied with the outcome of this situation.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 4, 2016, 10:44 PM

@Uncle Skeleton

Sorry I have yet to respond. Real life has been coming at me fast lately, and I haven't been able to devote the time your post deserves.

I hope I'll be able to pick things up in a bit.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2016, 11:50 AM

And the autopsy now shows that Keith Lamont Scott was shot in the back.

Autopsy says police officer shot Keith Scott in the back | theGrio

OAW

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Oct 17, 2016, 11:31 AM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2016, 05:53 PM

As more police refuse to patrol those neighborhoods, due to the violence and extreme risk to their safety, it will only get worse.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2016, 07:56 AM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2016, 01:39 PM

That site is engaging in some wild hyperbole to call it domestic terrorism, but yeah, this behavior is stupid to the nth degree. I never understand why people trash things over sporting events.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2016, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
That site is engaging in some wild hyperbole to call it domestic terrorism, but yeah, this behavior is stupid to the nth degree. I never understand why people trash things over sporting events.
I think the people that trash things would do that all the time if given the chance - the sports events just gives them an excuse to bring their baser drives out.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2016, 07:54 PM

I agree the article is heavily OTT with its language but its point that they are behaving in essentially the same manner as many of the heavily condemned BLM protests without anyone even noticing is entirely poignant. Especially when you consider this violence is about a sports match and not their people being murdered discriminately by the agencies charged with their protection.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2016, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
It's bad in Europe, football (soccer) hooligans are the worst.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 25, 2016, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
It's bad in Europe, football (soccer) hooligans are the worst.
Quick! Bring up gypsies again to deflect from racism in the US!

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Quick! Bring up gypsies again to deflect from racism in the US!
It's no worse than the rest of the world, keep acting like it is.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 27, 2016, 02:42 PM

Who, me?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2016, 10:24 AM

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2016, 12:33 PM

Excitement in Iowa today.

Live updates: 2 police officers killed in 'ambush' attacks

This guy got kicked out of a high school football game for waving a confederate flag. He was mad that they sat through the national anthem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHEFsWbi2W8

So he kills some cops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2016, 12:37 PM

Pretty ****ing sad.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2016, 10:17 AM

This is a story that reflects both negatively and positively on police officers. A 5 year veteran of the San Antonio PD committed this sub-human act. And fortunately this is a situation where the "Blue Wall of Silence" didn't hold.

Cop fired for giving feces sandwich to homeless man | New York Post

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2016, 12:31 PM

More shenanigans from my neck of the woods. This is definitely not a good look.

Kim Staton’s son, 28-year-old Omar Rahman, was found dead on August 8, and his death was ruled to be caused by a drug overdose. But since then, Staton has not heard much from police, and what’s worse, a picture appearing to how a police officer posing with her dead son has since surfaced.

The officer in the picture is wearing gloves and appears to be holding onto the arm of the body, which is blurred, and giving the camera a thumbs-up.

“When they come to a call, they’re supposed to be there to help and protect, not doing what he was doing with thumbs up and a smirk on his face,” Staton opined.

“I have seen thousands and thousands of forensic photographs, I have never seen a staged photograph of an officer next to a deceased body,” her attorney, Antonio Romanucci, said.

What’s more, the situation that led to the release of the picture is under investigation, as Staton says the police told her their forensic camera had been missing.

“If the police department doesn’t even know how it’s been released, then certainly, that’s a problem,” said former St. Louis Chief Dan Isom, later adding that the police chief should “see it, talk to the officer, get all the information relative to why they were there.”
Mother outraged after photo of officer posing with dead son surfaces | theGrio

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2016, 01:24 PM

reader50
Administrator
Nov 16, 2016, 05:18 PM

It's nice to see the local systems working. I've gotten used to the locals passing on charges, then the Feds having to step in.
What’s more, the situation that led to the release of the picture is under investigation, as Staton says the police told her their forensic camera had been missing.
This is more than lame. Either the police lied about losing the footage (and the camera), or they lost track of *forensic evidence* from a death scene. Either one should count as a crime.

That's before getting to the inappropriate posing, which doesn't even make sense with an OD death. I mean, what is the officer saying with the pose? That he's into necrophilia, or that he sold especially potent drugs to the deceased? The cop had nothing to do with an OD death.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
It's nice to see the local systems working. I've gotten used to the locals passing on charges, then the Feds having to step in.

This is more than lame. Either the police lied about losing the footage (and the camera), or they lost track of *forensic evidence* from a death scene. Either one should count as a crime.

That's before getting to the inappropriate posing, which doesn't even make sense with an OD death. I mean, what is the officer saying with the pose? That he's into necrophilia, or that he sold especially potent drugs to the deceased? The cop had nothing to do with an OD death.
It's being interpreted here locally as a sort of "Good riddance!" gesture on the part of the "officer".

OAW

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2016, 06:06 PM

Well that's the South for you ....

Michael Slager case: Judge declares mistrial - CNN.com

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 5, 2016, 06:30 PM

One guy held out. Let's not hang the other 11 jurors out to dry.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 5, 2016, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 5, 2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Oh I'm not. I'm just saying that there's a history of situations just like this happening in the South. Certainly not exclusively. But, quite frankly, it is neither uncommon nor surprising.

OAW

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2016, 06:03 PM

Oh I'm not. I'm just saying that there's a history of situations just like this happening in the South. Certainly not exclusively. But, quite frankly, it is neither uncommon nor surprising.

OAW
Look like the defense got the juror they wanted. This isn't an indictment of the south as a whole, but rather of the defense's ability to select the right juror who, by all estimation, would never find a cop guilty no matter the circumstance. My guess? This juror has family in blue.

It's quite a stretch to call this racism without an iota of support.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2016, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
It's quite a stretch to call this racism without an iota of support.
Because it fits their narrative, obviously.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 11, 2016, 08:34 PM

What no comments about Abdul Artan? BLM has now added him to their list of victims/martyrs who've died (in their opinion unjustly) at the hands of the police. Glad to know running your car into a crowd and jumping out with a hunting knife, to gut a few more victims, is (by some fruit loops) not reason enough to get put down. With all the people laying around injured, it likely would have been a slaughter, if not for the officer on duty acting so quickly.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2016, 11:20 PM

What no comments about Abdul Artan? BLM has now added him to their list of victims/martyrs who've died (in their opinion unjustly) at the hands of the police. Glad to know running your car into a crowd and jumping out with a hunting knife, to gut a few more victims, is (by some fruit loops) not reason enough to get put down. With all the people laying around injured, it likely would have been a slaughter, if not for the officer on duty acting so quickly.
Heavens, talk about massaging 'facts' to fit your narrative. Unless you can provide something else, I assume you are referring to this story, wherein ONE (deluded) person expressed sympathy for Abdul Artan in a Facebook post and used a BLM hashtag.

#narrative

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2016, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Heavens, talk about massaging 'facts' to fit your narrative. Unless you can provide something else, I assume you are referring to this story, wherein ONE (deluded) person expressed sympathy for Abdul Artan in a Facebook post and used a BLM hashtag.

#narrative
Talk about narratives and "massaging facts". "One person"? I didn't know "one person" could be a entire rally. Abdul Razak Ali Artan’s name added to student group’s list of people of color killed by police | The Lantern

You can almost always rely on Nasheed to provide some race-baiting, color commentary, as well:

Paco500
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2016, 05:24 PM

Talk about narratives and "massaging facts". "One person"? I didn't know "one person" could be a entire rally. Abdul Razak Ali Artan’s name added to student group’s list of people of color killed by police | The Lantern
1.OSU Coalition for Black Liberation != BLM. Maybe they all look the same to you?
2. Nowhere in the article that you posted does it say the group called him a martyr or that he was killed unjustly.
You can almost always rely on Nasheed to provide some race-baiting, color commentary, as well:
1. Tariq Nasheed != BLM.
2. Nowhere in the tweet that you posted does Tariq Nasheed call him a martyr or that he was killed unjustly.

#narrative

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 12, 2016, 11:59 PM

1. That's some nitpicky shit. They're allied groups, with the chapter leader also leading BLM on the campus. BLM is a movement of individuals and organizations, not an organization unto itself. Do you need a diagram?
2. “In some cases, the deceased may have committed acts of violence against others before they were killed. Perhaps they were domestic abusers, perhaps they threatened or killed others. This possibility is not something to shy away from. The protest against police brutality extends to the innocent and the guilty alike, because we know that no matter the crime, justice and due process don’t come from a cop’s bullet,” Abidi said while reading the eulogy.

You were saying?

3. He's part of BLM, a very vocal part.
4. Ahh, you're playing daft again, how precious.

#PacoIsWacko

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2016, 11:30 AM

Yet another trigger happy cop that needs to find a new line of work. Shoot first. Ask questions later.

Police officers didn't attempt any "lower levels of force" before one of them opened fire and killed an unarmed 73-year-old California man with dementia — even though the man made no apparent threatening moves toward them, officials said Tuesday evening.

Officer Reagan Selman, a member of the Bakersfield force since July 2015, fired seven rounds at the man, Francisco Serna, early Monday shortly after midnight, Assistant Police Chief Lyle Martin told reporters.

Serna, a father of five, grandfather of 16 and great-grandfather of five, died at the scene, he said.

Martin, who will become chief of police on Wednesday, called the shooting a "tragedy" and said he extended his deepest condolences to Serna's family. Selman and six other officers are on routine administrative leave pending the investigation, he said.

The incident unfolded as Selman and the other officers were responding to 911 calls about an alleged man with a gun who was wandering the neighborhood and approaching women on the street in a "bizarre" manner, Martin said.

The officers were interviewing a neighbor when she suddenly blurted out: "That's him!" Martin said. When the officers turned around, Serna was approaching with his hands in his pockets, he said.

Martin said Serna failed to comply with officers' orders to stop and show his hands.

"No lower levels of force were attempted by any officer" before Selman opened fire, he said.

Serna appeared to have made no "lunging" or otherwise threatening movement toward the officers, and no weapon was found at the scene, Martin said. But he said the "totality of the situation" was more complicated than it might seem.

Only 20 to 30 seconds elapsed "from the subject saying 'That's him!' to shots fired," Martin said. "They're being told he had a handgun and 'that's him.' It's kind of tough to address that in 20 seconds."

Serna's daughter Laura told NBC News earlier Tuesday that her father was diagnosed with dementia in July and that his health had taken a recent turn for the worse.

"My dad was murdered, I believe, for no reason," said Laura Serna, who lives in the same home, where a vigil was being held Tuesday night.

Martin said police were staying out of sight in the neighborhood unless they were needed.

"This is a tragedy," Martin said. "This is a very delicate situation. We respect the Serna family and their right to grieve."

At a vigil Tuesday night, the family through a friend thanked the community for its support. "The amount of the community that has come out this evening has really touched the hearts of the family," Cyndi Imperial said.
Cop Fired Seven Shots at Unarmed Elderly Man With Dementia - NBC News

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2016, 04:04 PM

"They're being told he had a handgun and 'that's him.' It's kind of tough to address that in 20 seconds."
Most officers aren't very tough so that's not surprising.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2017, 05:46 PM

You really can't make this up ....

A Burnsville police officer testified Tuesday that he exchanged racist texts with Allen “Lance” Scarsella, the man standing trial on felony assault and riot charges in the shooting of five Black Lives Matter protesters.

Bret Levin said he was friends with Scarsella since high school and the two stayed connected after Levin joined the Mankato Police Department.

In 2015, Levin said Scarsella frequently sent him “racially charged” text messages, and that the texts were “negative about black people.” When asked if he replied with similar texts, Levin replied, “Yes I have.”

“How we were talking was more along the lines of locker room talk,” he said.

Levin was not asked to describe the content of those messages.

Levin said he left the Mankato Police Department and is now with Burnsville.

He declined to comment after he finished testifying Tuesday. The Burnsville and Mankato police departments have not responded to requests for comment.

Prosecutors say Scarsella’s racist beliefs eventually led him to shooting five black men on Nov. 23, 2015, near an encampment for a protest of the death of Jamar Clark, an unarmed black men killed by police. Scarsella’s defense team is arguing that he shot in self-defense against an onrushing group of protesters.

The three others with Scarsella that night, Nathan Gustavsson, 22, of Hermantown; Daniel Macey, 27, of Pine City; and Joseph Backman, 28, of Eagan; stand charged with second-degree riot and aiding an offender.

Levin said he was on patrol for Mankato when Scarsella called him early the morning of Nov. 24 and told him about the shooting. He said Scarsella told him that he and three others went down to the protest wearing masks to conceal their identities. When they were asked to remove their masks, Scarsella told Levin that a fight broke out.

“I believe he told me … that one of his friends pushed him down as the protesters caught up to them,” Levin testified. “One of the protesters pulled out a knife and that’s when Lance pulled out his gun and shot.”
Officer testifies that he exchanged 'racially charged' texts with accused protest shooter - StarTribune.com

White dude has a history of exchanging racist text messages with a white cop. Same white dude shots 5 BLM protestors. IIRC this is the same white dude that took video of himself going around looking for protestors to hassle beforehand. We discussed the case earlier in the thread. But I haven't had a chance to verify if it's the same guy yet. More important for now is how the white police officer cop described the shooters racist text messages as "locker room talk". No where have we heard that "euphemism" before?

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2017, 01:14 PM

Sorry I don't have a better link but I'm on my phone. Curious if you saw this OAW. They just released the bodycam footage and descriptions I read aren't pleasing.
NeoGAF

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2017, 02:04 PM

^^^

Yeah I saw that last month. We'll see what, if anything, happens to the officer cop involved.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2017, 07:51 PM

^^^

Yeah I saw that last month. We'll see what, if anything, happens to the officer cop involved.

OAW
For those not following along, a black woman called the police because a man manhandled her son for littering. Instead, she got arrested. The man walked away scot free.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 26, 2017, 08:06 PM

Here we go, ars on the case: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...arges-dropped/
Texas police on Thursday dropped resisting arrest and other charges leveled against a mother and two daughters, ages 19 and 15, the same day leaked bodycam footage of the incident surfaced.
What a coincidence!

In the video, the mother is seen telling the officer that her son was choked by her neighbor for littering.

"Why don't you teach your son not to litter?" the officer is overheard saying on the video.

Moments later, the mother says that even if her son did litter, "It doesn't give him the right to put his hands on him."

"Why not?" the officer responds.
Anyone want to answer this?

The officer is back on the job after a 10-day suspension, which he is appealing. The neighbor, whom the mother accused of roughing up her son, is expected to be charged with a misdemeanor assault count, according to local media.
Truly an unjust suspension.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2017, 12:39 PM

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/31/...w-enforcement/

The article is too dense for me to gauge its veracity.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 31, 2017, 03:59 PM

There's absolutely nothing new here. Especially in the south where the law enforcement has quite literally been infiltrated by the Klan for decades.

OAW

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jan 31, 2017, 11:42 PM

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2017, 11:18 AM

Very reminiscent of the Abner Louima case in NYC.

(CNN)The mayor of a town in suburban Paris appealed for calm Sunday after demonstrations over the alleged rape of a young man by police turned violent.

More than 2,000 people marched Saturday in Bobigny, a suburban town nearly six miles (9.2 kilometers) northeast of the French capital. They chanted and carried signs demanding justice for a 22-year-old man who says he was sodomized by a police officer's baton.

The demonstrations turned violent when a few hundred protesters broke away from the march and began rioting, police said. They smashed windows, set cars and trash cans on fire and attacked law enforcement personnel, who responded by firing tear gas into the crowd.

No one was injured but 37 people were arrested, police said. Several vehicles were set on fire, including a media van for European broadcaster RTL.

At least two local businesses were vandalized, including a supermarket that was also looted. A bus station was also damaged.

The working-class area has been rocked by several days of sometimes violent demonstrations after four police officers purportedly assaulted the young man February 2 at a housing estate in the northern Paris suburb of Aulnay-sous-Bois.

The man, who is black and identified only as Théo, had injuries severe enough to require surgery. The incident has reignited racial tensions between police and immigrant communities in the poorer neighborhoods surrounding Paris, which have occasionally erupted in violence over the past decade.

All four officers involved in the incident have been charged with aggravated assault, while one was also charged with rape, according to the Interior Ministry.

The officers have been suspended pending an inquiry into accusations that they used excessive force.
Violence erupts at protests over alleged police rape in Paris suburb - CNN.com

OAW

Forum Links
Forum Rules