Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Studio MX and 12"PB

Studio MX and 12"PB
macgeekjay
Feb 4, 2003, 08:07 PM

I'm dying to know how well the measly 640MB of RAM on the 12" PB handles Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

Anyone? PLEASE?

[I'm coming from a 933mHz tower with a gig of RAM. I just need a portable solution now.]

THANKS!

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2003, 12:55 PM

I too am also trying to find this out before I "switch".

darren h
Feb 6, 2003, 08:27 AM

I have only 256mb of ram atm in my 12", it runs dreamweaver easily, just as will as my 1800+ athlon PC with 512mb. Needless to say I quite impressed.

Photoshop is also fine, it loads in a reasonable time and it is possible to drag a 50mb graphic file around in the window with no redraw. Filter speeds, whilst not breathtaking, are certainly acceptable.

Hope this helps

macgeekjay  (op)
Feb 6, 2003, 11:52 AM

Perfect!

Thanks so much for the quick takes on some real applications!!!

slffl
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 6, 2003, 12:03 PM

Yeah, thanks darren. I feel much better now getting the 12" over the 17".

darren h
Feb 6, 2003, 01:32 PM

Do it...

I went for the 12" for three reasons, 1) price, I am in the first year of my new business!! can't justify 17" price atm. 2) size, as it is primarily for taking out to clients and 3) the dual monitors, have'nt tried that yet but will soon. This thing has enough power to produce artwork for print when needed and using an external CRT (better colour matching) means the 17 or 15 for that matter are not really a requirement for me.

Having said that, I think I could actually stand to do a few hours work on the 12" screen, it is really not that bad for real estate.

Will let you know when I have flash and freehand/illustrator installed, see how they run.

Regards

xcapekey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2003, 02:02 PM

just got my 12 and have been doing a good deal of work on it already and it runs the apps with relative ease. dreamweaver is a piece of cake. photoshop runs well, so does illustrator and flash. i've even found my self running PS, AI, Dreamweaver, Flash, Mail, iChat, IE all at the same time and things still run smoothly...definitely wouldn't be able to do that on my PC laptop without it choking to death. so in my opinion, i think its a great machine..has it's quirks but very capable. oh yeah...Airport rocks! @starbucks as i'm writing this now

Forum Links
Forum Rules