Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ZAP! Is my BW dead?

ZAP! Is my BW dead?
eimeria
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2001, 02:49 AM

I just installed some memory into my BW. I took all the usual precautions to ground my self (anti-static wrist strap, touched the power box). As I was plugging the power cord into the back of the computer, there was a quick flash and a pop. When I tried to start it up, i got no response. The light on the front didn't go on. I removed the memory to make sure that wasn't at the root of the problem, but that didn't help. Is my computer fried? Do I have any options to get it back up and running?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 13, 2001, 04:07 AM

There are several possibilities here, of which a blown fuse in the power supply sounds the most likely. But before exploring that, try this:

Plug a light into the power socket you are using for your G3, to see if a circuit breaker has been tripped. That includes the little round circuit breaker that is often present in the better power strips. A tripped circuit breaker is usually too simple an answer to be true, but it can happen.

Assuming that power is available at the power socket, the next step is to press & hold the CUDA reset button on the motherboard for 30 seconds. It's a little round button on top of a smallish square enclosure, and will probably be close to the battery. This is the master reset button when other reset commands fail.

If that does not do it, unplug your G3 and remove the battery overnight. Reinstall the battery in the morning, press the CUDA button for good luck, and try to boot up.

If there is still nothing, the power supply will need to be checked to see if it is putting out power. If there is power from the power supply, the problem will be a blown analog board or damaged motherboard or damaged CPU card in your G3. If the power supply is not putting out power, the problem will be either a blown internal fuse, or a damaged power supply.

I would test my own power supply, and dissassemble it if needed to persue the problem further, but the average user would be better served by going to a repair shop. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Cipher13
Jun 13, 2001, 06:21 AM

Originally posted by eimeria:
<STRONG>I just installed some memory into my BW. I took all the usual precautions to ground my self (anti-static wrist strap, touched the power box). As I was plugging the power cord into the back of the computer, there was a quick flash and a pop. When I tried to start it up, i got no response. The light on the front didn't go on. I removed the memory to make sure that wasn't at the root of the problem, but that didn't help. Is my computer fried? Do I have any options to get it back up and running?
</STRONG>
That spark and pop is completely normal... the device is live, power was available... it sparked.

That happens every time I do it to an iMac or Tower. And its never caused a problem.

But in this case... I don't know. Tried a different power supply? Removed the new RAM? Try booting without it... is there any response at all upon pressing the power button? A whir, a hum, anything?

indigo
Jun 13, 2001, 10:36 AM

Oops! After re-reading my post, I realized I hadn't added anything new to the good advice given by others.

Good luck!

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: indigo ]

eimeria  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2001, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried to remove the newly installed RAM. It makes no difference if it is present or not. I pressed the CUDA switch as you described, but that made no difference. No fan, no hum, nothing happened when I pressed the power button. I've removed the battery and will leave it overnight per your suggestion.

I am receiving power out of the ADC power strip I am plugged into as other peripherals that are plugged into it will turn on. Also, my studio display receives power when I plug it into the back of the BW.

Any ideas on the cost to fix any of the other problems you described? Been contemplating an upgrade to a new G4, but haven't wanted to part with the dough just yet. I still hope this doesn't provide the impetus to buy new.

Thanks for the help!

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2001, 08:13 AM

The cost will depend on whether the power supply or the motherboard is fried. Replacement power supply = cheap, replacement motherboard = $$$. Sorry.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2001, 01:25 PM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>There are several possibilities here, of which a blown fuse in the power supply sounds the most likely. But before exploring that, try this:

Plug a light into the power socket you are using for your G3, to see if a circuit breaker has been tripped. That includes the little round circuit breaker that is often present in the better power strips. A tripped circuit breaker is usually too simple an answer to be true, but it can happen.

Assuming that power is available at the power socket, the next step is to press & hold the CUDA reset button on the motherboard for 30 seconds. It's a little round button on top of a smallish square enclosure, and will probably be close to the battery. This is the master reset button when other reset commands fail.

If that does not do it, unplug your G3 and remove the battery overnight. Reinstall the battery in the morning, press the CUDA button for good luck, and try to boot up.

If there is still nothing, the power supply will need to be checked to see if it is putting out power. If there is power from the power supply, the problem will be a blown analog board or damaged motherboard or damaged CPU card in your G3. If the power supply is not putting out power, the problem will be either a blown internal fuse, or a damaged power supply.

I would test my own power supply, and dissassemble it if needed to persue the problem further, but the average user would be better served by going to a repair shop. Hope it doesn't come to that.</STRONG>
Whoa, living in California... how did you get to learn so much about electricity?!

Forum Links
Forum Rules