Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can you set the powerbook (panther) so when you close the screen

Can you set the powerbook (panther) so when you close the screen
s4iscool
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 01:07 PM

the computer wont go into sleep mode?
i couldnt find it in the sys prefs.

On my pc's there was a specific option: "When I close the lid _____"

Thanks

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:11 PM

You can't normally force it without implementing a hack, but if you're just hoping to use it hooked up to a separate display then you can usually press a button on an external keyboard or mouse to wake it up after it's closed.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 01:27 PM

ok thats disappoiting to read, because my pb seems to stink at Sleep. but oh well. Ill live. Thanks
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

roders
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:31 PM

I'm not entirely sure what your asking, but all Mac laptops automatically go into "sleep mode" when you close the lid, as far as I'm aware there sleep function is pretty good, with instant wake from sleep (when the lid is opened) under OSX.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 01:40 PM

s4iscool:

I don't know what you're intending to do exactly. If you're not using the laptop at all when the lid is closed, isn't it in your best interest to have the system go to sleep? If you're going to connect a separate display/keyboard/mouse, then pressing an external input button will wake the system and display something on the external display.

If you're hooking the PB up to a TV, then you'll probably just want to close the lid most of the way.

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2003, 02:11 PM

Im just used to closing the lid when i walk away from the computer for a while, and I dont like having to reconnect things like msn, or having downloads cut off.

Ill just turn the monitor down, and have the display set to turn off after 1 min of no use. No big deal.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

jendmb34
Nov 29, 2003, 03:23 PM

i have a similar question. how can i get my AIM to stay connnected when my computer goes to sleep? is there any way? i like to be connected and online unless i'm going to be away from my computer for a long period of time....

Commodus
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2003, 03:58 PM

jendmb34:
Unfortunately, that you can't help - the program would have to be continuously running to say "I'm online! I'm online! I'm online!" Unless you're closing the lid, I'd just set the Energy Saver preferences so that the system stays awake for longer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules