Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Creating Fonts

Creating Fonts
@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Sep 7, 2008, 10:01 PM

Lately I have been downloading so many free fonts from Dafont and UrbanFonts. Now my girlfriend just recently bought me a Bamboo tablet and pen for my birthday. I think it's about time to start trying to make my own fonts. One of my fonts I want to make will be a handwritten theme, putting my tablet to work.

Now my friend gave me a copy of both Fontlab and Fontographer. Has anyone here had any experience with either one before? Are there any good tutorial links out there for using either application? Any help or a point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

@pplejaxkz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 13, 2008, 09:31 AM

If anyone else is in the same boat I came across these 2 helpful links.
Link1 / Link2

mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 21, 2008, 04:27 PM

Yeah I love fonts too but have always wondered how they are made and if I could make them. Did it work?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

PimPamPet
Sep 22, 2008, 02:16 PM

Fontlab is a good app. If you are familiar with Illustrator that will help. The tutorials that come with the application are very good, so you can just flip through those. Start simple and after creating a few basic characters, export and test. Use simple characters to make easy fonts. What I can remember from my education is that we used the word OHamburgefonstiv to test those characters to see if it was all coherent enough and the spacing was correct. If all looks and feels well, I continued.

Hope this helps just a little bit for those who are willing to try.

@pplejaxkz  (op)
Senior User
Sep 22, 2008, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by PimPamPet View Post
Fontlab is a good app. If you are familiar with Illustrator that will help. The tutorials that come with the application are very good, so you can just flip through those. Start simple and after creating a few basic characters, export and test. Use simple characters to make easy fonts. What I can remember from my education is that we used the word OHamburgefonstiv to test those characters to see if it was all coherent enough and the spacing was correct. If all looks and feels well, I continued.

Hope this helps just a little bit for those who are willing to try.
Thanks a bunch, I will definitely check out those tutorials.

Forum Links
Forum Rules