Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Applecare vs. Computer Insurance

Applecare vs. Computer Insurance
iCare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2004, 01:58 AM

Hello Everyone, I'm a brand new proud owner of a six-week old 12" Powerbook. I'm torn between getting Applecare and computer insurance. My professor's 15" Powerbook LCD screen got busted in the airplane and Applecare will not replace it. What if my laptop gets stolen (hope that will never happen.)? Do you think it's worth getting computer insurance which would cost me about $20/month or do you think it's just a waste of money? Thanks so much, everyone!
( Last edited by iCare; Oct 22, 2004 at 07:42 AM. )

"Carolinian by Birth, Tar Heel by the Grace of God." :)
Proud owner of 12" PowerBook G4/1.33GHz/768MB/60GB/SD

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2004, 06:50 AM

Well, I was in the same position when I got my PB back in April. My father has a house insurance, and he had an option to insure all the computers that were used in the household for an additional �10/year. The advantage of this insurance is, that it does not matter how old the computer is, and it covers more; e.g. you spilled some coffee over your PB? The insurance covers that. Or when your PB is stolen (I sincerely hope that that never ever happens!), you get the amount that it is worth that day back.

But, I must say, that at $20/month, it is quite expensive. Aren't there any cheaper options?
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

brianb
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2004, 07:28 AM

Just to clarify Apple care is only an extended warranty in effect. It will not cover any user mishandling of the system. You trip over the power supply draped from the wall the the dinning room table and rip the power plug off the power supply. That for example would not be covered by Applecare. If the hard drive burns out after 2 years that would be covered. The insurance would cover a lot of that stuff. If you travel a lot it may make sense to buy a comprehensive on your laptop.

But remember that if you ever actually file a claim to get something replaced you will see that Insurance premium jump higher the next time you have to renew the contract. It might also rise premiums on your Homeowners insurance or renters insurance also. It doesn't take much for insurance companies to hit you up for more money
Quicksilver 867, 700mhz iBook, 1st Gen iPod, iSight, Newton 2100, and a 128k Mac. All operating and used on a constant Basis

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2004, 08:03 AM

Welcome aboard, though your sig is way, way too big.

$20 a month is $240 a year. That adds up compared to the life of AppleCare and it would be quite expensive considering you'd still have to pay for any repairs not covered by the insurance.
If you're a student, check with your parents to see if the 'Book would be covered under their home policy. If not, you could almost buy a new iBook for the same price as the insurance over a couple of years.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

bbales
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2004, 09:40 AM

I have both AppleCare AND Safeware insurance on my laptop. I got the AppleCare b/c there are just too many things that can go wrong with a laptop. (And within six weeks of it hitting a year old, the screen had to be replaced, by the way.) And I have the other because things happen. It could get knocked over, or something spilled on it, despite my rules about not having food or drink near it. Someone could drop it, though it pains me to even write that. In short, accidents happen. The insurance was $120 for the year which is half what you would be charged.

I know many people would think that's overkill. But I own my own business, so it's a deduction. While that helps, it's still money out of my pocket and I do think it's money well spent. With laptops, especially, I would at least consider double-coverage.

Oh -- I did check wtih my insurance company and the Safeware insurance was much more targeted and much more comprehensive. I couldn't have even gotten that kind of coverage through my homeowners' insurance.

DarwinX
Oct 22, 2004, 10:47 AM

I also have both. Peace of mind, is well...peace of mind.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2004, 10:57 AM

What's the rate for safeware?

Btw, the best insurance policy for a laptop is a sound backup plan in place.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 22, 2004, 02:40 PM

Search the PowerBook forum for "Safeware". This exact question has been asked -- and answered in detail -- numerous times.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules