Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibookG4 or PowerbookG4?

ibookG4 or PowerbookG4? (Page 2)
HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2003, 02:06 PM

Wow, ryeguy is a d*ck. Anyways...

I have the choice between an iBook 933 with possibly an Airport, and more RAM and a Powerbook with no accesories. I'll have to try it in store before I buy but it looks right now like I should get the iBook. I think i'll take the 'risk'.

Plus the iBook is supposed to be more durable. The powerbook seems to need a little more pampering. When I through my iBook in with my books I won't have to worry to much about dents and such.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2003, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by adamw:
Isn't the BT module on-board when ordered with the iBook from Apple? It's not a USB dongle as far as I know.

I'm currently debating the same though, the PB or IB decision...I think I'm set on the 12 inch, just not sure about the PB or IB. I guess I'm a Windoze poweruser and wonder about not being happy with the performance of the IB (even though I'd max the RAM).

Your thoughts are appreciated.
the ibook g4 has usb, obviously, so it can take a bluetooth dongle. but if you go the built to order route from apple there is a bluetooth option, which is an internal bluetooth device. it is only availible via the built to order option.

one of the reasons i am going with the powerbook... i do not want to wait for a bto ibook

macrick1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2003, 08:56 PM

I just want to say, I have been using my ibook g4 1 ghz for nearly a month now, and I could not be happier. I did buy TRANSINTL's 1 gig ram when i ordered the ibook. It made a lot of difference compared to Apple's stock 256 megs of RAM in terms of speed after I installed it. Maybe time will tell if there are logic board issues with the ibook g4 but for now, I'm ecstatic with my first Mac portable!!

ryeguy
Banned
Dec 28, 2003, 09:55 PM

Hotsoup, you are a dxxck too! Check out this article about ibooks from a computer engineer:

http://www.macintouch.com/

Looks as though the ibook G4 may fail too, depending on if apple fixed the two design flaws or not. If they did not fix the design flaws, have fun with it. I might, now, go into my ibook and fix these design flaws myself. I am appauled at apple for such poor workmanship.

Oh ya, there is a powerbook party tomorrow night, and you are all not invited.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by adamw:
Isn't the BT module on-board when ordered with the iBook from Apple? It's not a USB dongle as far as I know.

I'm currently debating the same though, the PB or IB decision...I think I'm set on the 12 inch, just not sure about the PB or IB. I guess I'm a Windoze poweruser and wonder about not being happy with the performance of the IB (even though I'd max the RAM).

Your thoughts are appreciated.
It is an option you can get when you order the iBook on Apple.com. WIth the Powerbook it comes as a standard install.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

runenfool
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 07:36 AM

Well Im too late on this, but the Amazon.com $1294 for a new Powerbook G4-867 Superdrive was a smokin deal. My girl bought one of these and its not a bad machine. Yea, its slower than the new Powerbook G4s (the lack of cache is a bummer), but its faster than the iBook G4 I compared it to (I believe no L3 cache on either) and not much more (they had a combo drive deal cheap for a while there too).

So perhaps finding a deal on a closeout 867 is the way to go. Amazons deal is gone though

kobetsang
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2004, 04:55 PM

How about an ibook g4 vs. PB12 Rev A? Right now Rev A is $1149 w/ free shipping. Is there any reason to get an ibook?

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2004, 04:31 PM

A high percentage of rev A 12" PB (867 mhz) had the serious over-heating problem. Apple even admitted that's one of the things they worked on with Rev B.

For you peace of mind, you're better off getting Rev B.

rwagoner
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 04:14 AM

The school where I teach has about 200 iBooks in rolling (portable) computer labs that have been in use for a while; models range from current back to when the white iBooks were first released. They are used much of the week. Additionally, I have an iBook dual USB that is carried back and forth to school every day, is used with a math program in 4 classes per day as well as for taking attendance, processing grades, etc. As with the others:

No battery problems.

No logic board problems.

No display connection problems.

Not on one. None. Zero.

So while there may be issues, they are most certainly not with all.

ilion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 04:53 AM

amazing; it isn't so much an over-heating problem, as it is a simple heat build up problem... over heating implies that there is some sort of failure, but as far as i've read (and noticed myself), outside of a general irritation over the temp, there is no actual breakdown of the computer.

my PB does get pretty toasty though when i'm doing anything intensive.

it seems to me, provided the uses of the laptop are generally 'consumer' in nature, that the ibook would be fine.

hell, take the saved $500 and buy the 3 year apple care warranty. that way, if the logic board or battery do happen to fail within six months, you'll be fine (outside of having to send the ibook away for a bit).

i've also noticed a problem with airport reception with my 12" aluminum. from talking to other family members, i've come to understand that the metal casing of the powerbook does somehow interfere with the operating range of the book. perhaps the ibook is free of this problem?

the only thing that might prove to be a clincher is the superdrive option. as far as i know, a superdrive is unavailable on even the new G4 ibooks. it is something to consider if you feel you might like to burn dvds (albeit at 1X) in the future.

of course, you could always get an external lacie later on, but then you couldn't impress people by burning a dvd on your compact laptop (which is fun).

either way, provided there is no logic board failure, you'll end up with a solid and super fun to use computer.

one more thing, take the new ilife suite into consideration. do you think you might like to use garage band? if so, will it run smoothly on an ibook?

(anyone feel free to answer that)

later.

jim_az
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 06:28 AM

I guess it needs to be repeated: There is no overheating problem with rev A 12" PBs anymore!!! The 10.3.2 update took care of this. Basically, the problem was that the fan never came on before this update. Now it does and it never gets hot.

Az Jim

Originally posted by amazing:
A high percentage of rev A 12" PB (867 mhz) had the serious over-heating problem. Apple even admitted that's one of the things they worked on with Rev B.

For you peace of mind, you're better off getting Rev B.

Petrie
Jan 25, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by enk0d:
I am also considering on getting a G4 933Mhz ibook and i was wondering if these are included in the logic board failures that have been plaguing ibook users? Have been any issues with these models as yet or is it just the G3 series?

I am asking because the cost difference between the two is about 500.00 so is it really worth it? Should i be concerned seeing how i am getting a G4 series over the old G3?
I have been using an iBook G4/933 for the last month (replaced my Ti4/500). Now, I do some audio and video work so I'll eventually have to get a tower but this baby has handled anything that I've thrown at it!

Just thought it might be of help to hear from a satisfied customer.
The bad new is I have MS. The good news is I don't mean Microsoft.

njfuzzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 12:18 PM

First, I want to say that reading this thread is an embarassment. It makes people who understand formal logic look bad, it makes mac users look bad, and it makes readers of MacNN look bad. Why in the world were you guys so invested in your opinions of iBook Vs. PowerBook that you had to argue with such attitude?

Anyhow, back to the actual topic: Which computer is the best option, the 12" iBook G4, or the 12" PowerBook G4?

I have been a Mac person for a long time. I got a PowerBook 140 when I was in the 7th grade. I have had Mac's ever since, and usually a laptop. I worked as a tech in an Apple authorized shop, and have had a few other jobs where part of my role was to spec-out Mac systems for people.

None of that is particularly important, though. At the end of the year, I walked into an Apple store thinking about buying a laptop. the story of my choice is a pretty good example of the more general question.

First, I noticed that they had the previous generation G3 iBooks available. I think they started around $800. That got me thinking, as it wasn't a bad deal. However, there were a few problems. The motherboard issues worried me a little, though not much since I would be getting AppleCare. One problem was that getting a G3 processor now isn't a great idea-- the G4 is even on its way out soon, from the look of things. Best not to be that far behind.

So, I turned around. There was the display of current generation iBooks. The bottom model is about $1100. It has a 800 MHz G4 processor, and a nice small form factor. The step up to the 14" models didn't do anything for me-- The screen resolution is the same, so the extra screen size only helps people who can't see the higher-dpi screen easily. The processor bumps are pretty minor. I doubted I would be able to notice the difference between 800 MHz and 933 or 1 GHz.

So far, the winner by far was the 12" G4 iBook. It is a small little unit, pretty attractive and certainly compact. It is much faster than a G3 model, and more reliable, and compares nicely to the 14" models because it has the same screen resolution and almost the same speed.

Of course, I had to go look at the PowerBooks. For my budget, I knew the 17
and 15" were out, so that leaves the 12", which is very similar to the 12" iBook. How to compare?

- The PowerBook is technically smaller, but its really not noticable. It's a matter of small fractions of inches.

- The PowerBook is more attractive. I have to say, the metal case, and the stylings of the AlBooks, are nice. That's pretty subjective though, and even in my case, it wasn't an overwhelming factor.

- The PowerBook is marginally faster. Like looking at the 14" iBooks, though, I had to accept that without a much superior architecture, the 1 GHz PowerBook just isn't a lot faster than the 800 MHz iBook.

- The two have the same screen size and resolution, similar drive size, same base RAM, equivalent output ports for my uses, combo drive, and neither come with an airport card.

The features, the power, and in general the functional differences between the two models are small. However, the iBook costs $500 less. I could have afforded the PowerBook, but nobody likes to waste money. In the end, I decided that my $500 would be better spent on a new 40 GB iPod, or perhaps saved.

If you are so wealthy that $500 doesn't phase you, get the 12" PowerBook. It's slicker. However, if you are that wealthy, you might be happier with the more powerful larger models anyhow. The way I see it, right now, the product line has a fault-- There isn't much reason to buy the 14" iBooks, or the 12" PowerBook. Once there are G5 PowerBooks, things will make more sense.

That's my (somewhat wordy) two cents. Your mileage may vary, but I am happy with my iBook, and glad I got the iPod with the money I saved.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2004, 12:47 PM

I had a G3/500 iBook--which my Mom still has--and a G3/800 iBook which I sold online. Out of the box the 800 iBook had a bad PMU (Power Management Unit) that prevented the battery from being properly charged. Yep, the usual fix was undertaken and they put a whole new mobo in the thing after only two weeks in my posession. It worked great for another year before I sold it to get a 1GHz G4 eMac. I would highly recommend the 12" iBook to anyone who doesn't need the few extras that the 12" PB provides.

Yet another person's two cents.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Me�vv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 02:30 PM

I am a Mac user since 1986. My three latest macs were laptops. I have the PB G4 12" and before that I had a 12" iBook.

They were all great computers and I say you cannot go wrong whatever you buy, they will be so much nicer than the PC you came from. iBooks and PB:s are both very durable.
I carry my laptop with me everywhere and I don't have it in a special bag.

When it comes to look the PB 12" is a clear winner and it IS smaller than the 12" iBook, check out this gallery if you want:

http://homepage.mac.com/petber/PhotoAlbum9.html

Here are some points:
1) Personally I wouldn't get the 14" iBook. The screen resolution is the same so you might as well move your face two inches closer to the screen. If course there is a slight difference in cpu and battery but also in price and mainly in size.
2) If you get the PB, take advantage of Apple store's possibility to upgrade the hard drive. It is big difference for little extra money.
3) Order and install extra RAM yourself and not from Apple. It is easy to do and you save up to $100.
4) You have a whole year to get AppleCare so you dont need to spend that money now unless you want to.
5) Get at least 256 but preferably 512 MB extra RAM.
6) Get a PB if you want to hook the computer to an external display. With the iBook you only get screen mirroring which looks very limited on a large screen.
7) Don't forget that Apple store has special discounts for government and educational users, even if you buy for private use.
8) There is a clear difference in speed between the two. I think it is due to the cache or the bus speed because it feels more than just the percentage the cpu speed would reflect. This is noticable when I run several tasks at the same time (which I always do).
9) Don't underestimate you usage level. Even "basic" tasks like word processing, web browsing, emailing, spreadsheet will benefit from more power especially when performed simultaneously.
Good luck!

Me�vv

jreades
Jan 25, 2004, 02:30 PM

Apparently, there are a lot of opinionated people in this forum , and in all the back-and-forth it's easy to forget that this is really your decision based on the features you need and want.

Compare to the tower systems -- do you need a dual-processor G5? Well, if you're doing video editing then yes. Anything else and it's pretty much a case of 'well, do you feel like spending the money?'

Consider the following issues:

1. Processor speed -- the difference in clock speed between the iBook G4 and the 12" PB G4 is relatively small as percentage of the overall clock speed. So this, in and of itself, does not really decide the issue.

2. RAM -- generally speaking, RAM is a much bigger component in how fast your computer 'feels'. Compare both the maximum allowable and installed (or upgradeable) amounts of RAM in each system. If you iBook G4 maxes out at 256MB (which I don't think they do) and you'd probably want to at least have the option of upgrading down the line, then the PB scores a point.

3. Weight -- if you're looking to primarily use this around the house and on the occassional trip then weight isn't a big issue. If you're a frequent business traveller then a half-pound can make a huge difference. Depends on needs.

4. Screen size -- iBooks come in two flavours, the 12" PB in 1 (obviously, there's the larger PB screens but they up the differential). For email and word processing this probably isn't terribly important. For *substantial* photo editing this may begin to become more so.

5. Airport/Bluetooth -- both the new iBooks and the PBs have the option to have the Airport card and a Bluetooth 'thing' (it's run off an internal USB connection, so it's not quite a dongle but it's close). So in terms of features they are equivalent. However, at least in the past, the iBooks actually had much *better* 802.11x range because the shell is plastic. Imagine wrapping your WiFi antenna in metal that isn't part of the antenna itself and you'll understand why my PB 667 starts to lose its connection after little more than 40 feet.

6. Hard drive/CD-R/DVD-R -- I lump these all in together because they help make up the total available storage for your system. In my experience there are two things that will chew through drive space quickly: 1) photo files at high resolutions, 2) audio files in iTunes. Compared to almost anything else, these two will help your free hard drive edge towards 0. So the question is how you intend to manage your files (and how many files you intend to manage). For instance, I have a film scanner that can generate 70MB files from one 35mm negative. Ten of these at full resolution can fill up a CD. So I'm considering an external DVD writer to archive my image files on. If I were in the market for a system now, that would direct me towards the PB over the iBook. But your average digital photo is, what, 5MB so that's on the order of 300 photos per CD. Enough to archive some pretty serious trips. Again, how much space you need depends on how you intend to use the system.

7. Video RAM -- I could well be wrong, but I think that the video RAM in the iBooks and the PowerBooks is comparable. And in either case, it's at least as good as my old PowerBook and I've never had trouble running Photoshop on a dual-monitor display. If you expect to do a lot of high-res gaming then splurging on the PB might be worth it, but I can tell you that for the tasks you've listed the iBook is as good.

8. External monitors -- I haven't used the iBook's mini dongle so I don't know what the quality is like. My PB has a full DVI-out that I've appreciated since it's often hooked up to an external display in my home for watching movies. I believe that the iBook's dongle will only output in VGA but that's something to check on the Apple site. If you have a new LCD monitor with DVI-in then it might be worth the extra money for the better picture, but otherwise it'll come out in the wash.

7. Opportunity cost -- what would you buy if you had an extra $500? For me, that's 2/3 of the cost of the new Nikon film scanner that I'm intending to buy. Given a pimped-out iBook and a scanner vs. just the PB then my choice will be the former because the opportunity is too hard to pass up. Alternately, $500 in a Roth IRA/ISA/whatever now is a whole lot more money to spend on cool gadgets when you eventually retire.

Personally, based on your requirements (and my limited experience with a friend's new iBook G4) I would suggest that you go with the iBook and save the $500 for other stuff (like a trip to take cool digital photos to import into your spiffy new iBook). I haven't heard one way or the other about problems with the new iBooks, but the Apple support forums are a good place to get a sense of what is happening.

HTH,

jon

tannehills
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 03:12 PM

ibookG4... max out the ram.

If you want to render animations, manipulate LARGE image files, edit audio tracks or play high end games... get the powerbook.

Monde
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2004, 05:48 PM

Macs...I seems like I've owned them all over the years. As it turns out I have one of the G3 800mhz iBooks and would endorse it. My experience with this machine has been very good. While I do not own a iBook G4, I can only imagine it is an improvement over the G3. I also own a PowerBook 15 inch and it is solid and fast. Also, it was much more expensive. I use it for video mirroring in my office and of the two, it gets the most use. My kid uses the other for the most part. So the recommendation would go like this in a nutshell:

iBook: Good value, solid machine for a budget minded average user.

PowerBook: Expensive, Great machine-perhaps for the professional user

I'm waiting for revisions in the G5, will look forward to getting one mid 2004.
----------------------------
We are the music makers
And we are the dreamers of Dreams
----------------------------

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 05:56 PM

Ikeem,

While hardware failure is important to know you'll also want to consider the software that comes with the iBook and Powerbook.

Each of these laptops are used for entirely different things and it might save you more money to get the iBook instead buying additional software such as Microsoft Office for a new Powerbook.

Buy the iBook and if you need more capabilities trade it in for a Powerbook a couple years down the road.

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2004, 08:47 PM

I think the specs should be pretty similar - I'm sure the iBook G4 has an updated mobo rev since they use DDR memory and a G4 bus, etc. Personally, I like white rather than brushed metal. And the polycarbonate, while it might get scratched, probably won't ding as easily as the aluminum.

The one advantage of the PBG4 is that you can dual head it to an external monitor without patching the open firmware, AND it's a DVI port instead of a VGA. IMHO, this is a huge deal for laptops, since the portable LCD's don't look nearly as nice as some of the desktop LCD's. Plus, the 12" may get a little small for some. I have my 12" iBook patched to dual head to my Samsung 17", and it's beautiful, but there are still some Quartz extreme quirks (re: no 3D effects on multiuser switching, slightly slower expose) that probably wouldn't be there if I was doing it the "official" way with the PBG4.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2004, 09:25 PM

I was in a similar dillema, but all in all I decided on getting the PB for two reasons. 1. I didnt want to apply the hack for dual monitors, and 2. 640 limit on ram is a bit low. They both do the same things, one just does them a lil itsy bit faster. If your just goin to surf on the net and fool around with photoshop and stuff then I say go with the ibook but if you wanna do more intensive video editing and photoshop then you'll be glad you have the extra speed and memory. Either way I cant see you being dissapointed with either, I went for broke but if money was an issue I wouldn't have thought twice to get the ibook. I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

nagromme
Senior User
Jan 25, 2004, 10:45 PM

They are both great buys, and if you can't afford a PowerBook, the iBook is a good choice. I almost went with the iBook myself. But the PowerBook is NOT overkill for you. It's more than you absolutely need, but that will make it serve you longer. Thus you will replace it later, and financially you will not lose out.

PowerBook advantages:

- Aluminum finish! It can feel hot, but mine has been impossible to scratch so far. I know from my eMac that a white plastic iBook will get easily scratched up. (If you care.)

- Both have 256 RAM, and you WILL want more. At some point you'll want to add 512 more yourself (about $120--buy from eshop.macsales.com or someplace--NOT from Apple), to speed things up and to extend the life of the battery and hard drive. But the iBook has no free RAM slots: you'd have to remove half of the iBook's RAM and replace it with a larger chip. The PowerBook has a free slot and wouldn't waste a chip. You'd end up with more RAM: 768 MB instead of only 640. (640 is OK but more is always better with OS X.)

- Speed of course. The PowerBook runs at 1 GHz (1000 Mhz) instead of 800 Mhz, but more importantly it's a newer type of G4, with a better cache. Some tasks would be about the same speed on both, but others would be quite a bit faster on the PowerBook. (Graphics are about the same on both. Different brands of video board, but pretty comparable in tests I've seen. But CPU speed affects games too, if that's important to you.)

- Much more flexibility for external video. Both could connect to TV, but for projectors and external displays, the iBook's selection is much more limited (it can only do 1024x768 and cannot connect to newer "DVI" displays). A PowerBook can connect to just about anything, even a really big high-res display. A PowerBook can also display two different things on the internal screen vs. the external screen. Sometimes that's useful. (People have hacked their iBooks to make that happen, but I'd hesitate to mess around with it that way.)

- External audio recording. You can connect a mic or line-in to the PowerBook, while the iBook would need an external adapter box. (Both have a built-in mic though.)

- Bluetooth and bigger HD standard. (Available on iBook build-to-order--but a standard config can make your Mac easier to order and have serviced. Plus standard configs can be had for a discount or with freebies thrown in, like MacConnection.com does. See PowerBookCentral.com for a price tracker.) Also note that internal Bluetooth CANNOT be added to an iBook later, if you change your mind. Order it built-in, or do without. And I think anyone could appreciate a wireless mouse WITHOUT an external transmitter pod. (Not much choice of BT mice yet--but Belkin has a nice 5-button scrollmouse for a low price. And Apple's 1-button is nice too--I still use mine sometimes because I like the feel)

Beyond that, expansion ports are the same on both. Either one could be upgraded to Airport Extreme wireless later. They come with different bundled software.

Enjoy the switch. Either way, you'll get THE biggest feature: Mac OS X!
nagromme

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 12:22 AM

Money is an issue. i got a 900 g3 last april I use it daily, no problems. I gave my daughter my old 600 g3 it's now 2yrs old no problems. i just got my dad a 14" g4 a month ago no problems

ghnagaye
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 01:18 AM

i had a g3 ibook, and suffured the logic board failure right after my apple care warranty ended. it's hard to tell if there is going to be any difference, and whether apple addressed this problem, because they do not acknowledge the problem in the first place.

i would say that for the uses listed, the iBook would be the better investment. i would recommend paying out for the longer applecare package, because many of the logic board problems occurred after the one year point.
PowerBook G4 12in

-------

an optimist expects all of the crayons to
be in the box.

nightcap965
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 12:16 PM

Last week, I faced the same question as ikeem: iBook or Powerbook? I chose an iBook for the following reasons:

Tangible: Power. I don't need a great deal. I'm not creating Pixar's next big hit. This is my portable, not my primary computer. I don't need a great deal of storage - I have plenty available on other boxes.

Cost. I like the PowerBook, and I can afford it. But, as was previously noted by njfuzzy, no one likes to waste money. With the money I saved on the iBook, I purchased a 40 GB iPod. (Wierd having more space in my pocket than on my laptop!)

Intangible: Image. The PowerBook looks, well, powerful. The iBook looks cute and non-threatening. I work all day with very powerful computers; I like a laptop that's personable as well as personal.

That's my reasoning. Your mileage may vary, objects in the mirror are closer than they appear, some settling of contents may occur during shipping and handling. Good luck, and enjoy your Mac!

-- Bill

pacifica
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2004, 02:52 PM

I've got a 2002 G3 iBook that I use for hard-disk recording, and what sold me on it was how quiet it is... the disk is very quiet, and most importantly, the fan rarely comes on.

I'm concerned that upgrading to a G4 laptop will give me a machine that has too much noisy fan activity to be useful as a recording platform.

Can anyone give me a comparison of the noise levels of the G3 iBook, the G4 iBook and the G4 Powerbook?

Thanks!

Getoverit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2004, 12:25 AM

My dad's g4 is as quiet as my g3 but i have not done any heavy lifting with it.
Originally posted by pacifica:
I've got a 2002 G3 iBook that I use for hard-disk recording, and what sold me on it was how quiet it is... the disk is very quiet, and most importantly, the fan rarely comes on.

I'm concerned that upgrading to a G4 laptop will give me a machine that has too much noisy fan activity to be useful as a recording platform.

Can anyone give me a comparison of the noise levels of the G3 iBook, the G4 iBook and the G4 Powerbook?

Thanks!

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Oct 25, 2004, 10:43 AM

BARNT!

some of you are acting rediculously.

Look into the future and see yourself with your computer. If you see something cool like Logic Express or Final Cut Express, get a PowerBook. Otherwise, ignore statistics and get an iBook.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

iCare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 06:52 AM

iBook is actually on sale now on the Apple web site. I don't know that this information would help or not. I myself own a 12" Powerbook G4 SD, and I just love it! This is my very first Mac and I'm very impressed with how powerful this little machine is.

"Carolinian by Birth, Tar Heel by the Grace of God." :)
Proud owner of 12" PowerBook G4/1.33GHz/768MB/60GB/SD

iCare
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2004, 06:57 AM

iBook is actually on sale now on the Apple web site. I don't know that this information would help or not. I myself own a 12" Powerbook G4 SD, and I just love it! This is my very first Mac and I'm very impressed with how powerful this little machine is.

"Carolinian by Birth, Tar Heel by the Grace of God." :)
Proud owner of 12" PowerBook G4/1.33GHz/768MB/60GB/SD

khufuu
Oct 27, 2004, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
I recommend that you get an iBook and put ryeguy on your ignore list.
This is the best advice I've read in a while. Ryeguy's been on my ignore since the first time I've seem him/her/it post.

Dr.Michael
Oct 28, 2004, 06:28 AM

Originally posted by ikeem:

Thanks
From a Soon to be Mac User
I have a 12 ich powerbook (dvi). Its a cute machine. But if you don't have the money get an iBook. Its a MUCH better deal. For the powerbook you pay 800$ more and get

- alu that scratches and oxydates
- audio in
- dual display support
- less battery lifetime

Its only worth the money if you don't have to care about money.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2004, 06:30 AM

You people do realize that you're responding to a thread that's a year old? You did realize that, didn't you?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

khufuu
Oct 28, 2004, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by khufuu:
This is the best advice I've read in a while. Ryeguy's been on my ignore since the first time I've seem him/her/it post.
<<blush>> I didn't realize this thread was old. Need.. sleep..

Dr.Michael
Oct 28, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by khufuu:
<<blush>> I didn't realize this thread was old. Need.. sleep..
I did realize this.
But the question is still valid (more so after the release of the new g4/1200 iBooks) and I am sure this will be read and used again.

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2004, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by Dr.Michael:
I did realize this.
But the question is still valid (more so after the release of the new g4/1200 iBooks) and I am sure this will be read and used again.
I have a new PB G4 12 inch 1.33 and my wife has a new iBook G4 1 Ghz (the new ones just before the 1.2 Ghz ones). They are both configured with 768 of RAM.

There is little difference between the machines. They feel similar in use and are very similar machines technologically. Technically the PB 12 has a slighter faster CPU, bus, memory, and GPU but is it not evident in normal use, nor in re-encoding DVD's to DivX files. In reality they are basically the same machine.

The PB support dual monitors in spanning, but a simple 5 minute OF hack gives the iBook the same capability.

The PB has a larger HD.

The PB case is MUCH more delicate than the iBook.

I would not get the 933 G4 iBook or the older 1 GHz. The larger 512k cache of the new iBooks gives a REAL performance boost.

If you consider the new iBook 1.2 are around $1000 with AP and the PB's are 500 dollars more, that is means you can MAX the RAM and get an 80 GB HD upgrade for the same price as the PB 12.

That said, I love my PB 12. I also love my wifes iBook and i think I prefer it looks wise.
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Nov 1, 2004, 11:20 AM

Where does one attain that hack for the iBook?

Can it damage your system?

Does it void the warranty?

Does it void AppleCare?
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

Homer1946
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2004, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by irockdabari:
Where does one attain that hack for the iBook?

Can it damage your system?

Does it void the warranty?

Does it void AppleCare?
There are several examples of it. I used this one here http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

Probably not considering the way it works. It is possible using the lid closed modication (allowing the iBook to be used lid closed) could because of heat issues, but I doubt that as well.

No.

No.

It is an Open Firmware hack. Just reset the PRAM (really well) and it's gone. The hardware on the iBook supports spanning but Apple has intentionally disabled it at the driver level to help sell more professional computers. This just tricks the driver into thinking it is running on a PowerBook.

Worked great on my wife's 6 week old iBook.
( Last edited by Homer1946; Nov 4, 2004 at 01:41 AM. )
-R

I know I have no life and I can prove it at http://slicedapple.ath.cx/

iREZ
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2004, 12:33 PM

I have a PB, and I have to agree that the new 12" iBooks are a pretty damn good deal. I'm sorta kicking myself on why I didn't wait for the 1ghz iBooks to come out. Oh well, I still adore my PB, just wish I had more batt life, longer Airport range, and a little more durability.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Forum Links
Forum Rules