Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Processor Question.

Processor Question.
DvlBoi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2002, 07:55 AM

Please bare with me I am kind of a newbie to mac hardware and hardware in general. I have a Digital Audio DP 533 G4. I have been thinking of upgrading the processor a bit just to get a little more kick out of it. Here is my question that maybe some of you can help... Will a quicksilver CPU work in the Digital Audio motherboard? I was thinking of putting in a DP800 or even a DP1GHz(if I can find one). I did notice that both machines have very similar workings. 133 bus speed, AGP, 4 PCI etc. Is this the same motherboard as the quicksilver just with a different audio configuration on the board? Can someone help me distinguish or tell me if this processor upgrade idea would work?

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by DvlBoi:
Please bare with me I am kind of a newbie to mac hardware and hardware in general. I have a Digital Audio DP 533 G4. I have been thinking of upgrading the processor a bit just to get a little more kick out of it. Here is my question that maybe some of you can help... Will a quicksilver CPU work in the Digital Audio motherboard? I was thinking of putting in a DP800 or even a DP1GHz(if I can find one). I did notice that both machines have very similar workings. 133 bus speed, AGP, 4 PCI etc. Is this the same motherboard as the quicksilver just with a different audio configuration on the board? Can someone help me distinguish or tell me if this processor upgrade idea would work?
No Dice on the 1 Ghz, that processor card requires a diffrent Logic Board controler

DvlBoi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2002, 05:07 AM

So does that mean that the 800 is a possibility? MUHAHAHA

JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2002, 06:32 PM

I read somewhere that the chip module would fit, however, it would be underclocked to 533MHz or something like that.

Secret Vampire
Forum Regular
Nov 17, 2002, 07:59 PM

you might be able to fit one, but it would be far easier to buy the powerlogix or sonnet modules, that way it's guaranteed, and you don't need to go hacking things to make it fit.
Secret

4 Macs, 6 Amigas, 3 SparcStations, an Atari ST, an Acorn, and N+1 PCs.

I'm such a geek.

Forum Links
Forum Rules