Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just a Though about overclocking Apples

Just a Though about overclocking Apples
forcelite
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 04:22 PM

I have previously owned an ibook 600. I have to admit I never messed around with the powermanagemnt settings so I dont know if it had a "reduce processor" feature or not. For the new 12" I know they do have this feature, which basicly underclocks the processor.

My thinking is this, if they can mess with the processors frequency via software settings (and not messing with the hardware multipliers) then I am guessing you can do the same with a hack. Also if you can change the frequency in the settings, then that means to me that the multiplier is unlocked and can be changed (I might be off on this one so help me out) I have read about overclocking the old ibooks but that was via a hardware mod, I am talking about strickly using a software hack.

So I guess I want to know if the older ibooks and such had this powermanagment feature, and if so why no one wrote a program to overclock it via that. Any questions or comments is welcome too.

Force

msykes
Senior User
Apr 7, 2003, 04:39 PM

Some of the older iBooks could be bumped up (from 600 to 700 MHz I think) via use of the CHUD tools (software development tools).

Later CHUD versions removed this ability.

I would say that with all of the complaints about heat, fan noise, etc etc that overclocking is probably not a great idea for most recent apple laptops!

forcelite  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2003, 05:14 PM

very true, I was just wondering if it was possible.

That is interesting about the development tools though

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2003, 01:26 AM

A very interesting thought indeed.
I overclocked my computer today and was wondering what would happen if I were to change the DIP switch while the computer was running. I'm not going to try, and I thought it would be very harmful. But laptops can do it on the fly, is the processor specifically designed to have it's clock speed changed like that? How modified are the processors that go into the portables?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 9, 2003, 01:21 AM

Since you didn't even mention what machine you overclocked via DIP switches, I can't begin to speculate, but in general, DIP switches and jumpers aren't read constantly, but rather read once on startup. (For example, SCSI ID jumpers/switches are read only on bus initialization. You can change the ID of a drive, but it won't become active under the new ID till you reset the bus.)

tooki

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2003, 03:31 AM

Overclocking is a very expensive habit.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Since you didn't even mention what machine you overclocked via DIP switches, I can't begin to speculate, but in general, DIP switches and jumpers aren't read constantly, but rather read once on startup. (For example, SCSI ID jumpers/switches are read only on bus initialization. You can change the ID of a drive, but it won't become active under the new ID till you reset the bus.)

tooki
Whoops, I did forget to mention some important info.
It's an AMD K6-2 450 MHz system. I have it running at 500 MHz right now. An IBM Aptiva if that matters. The voltage was originally set at 2.4 V, but the machine wouldn't load Windows correctly until the voltag was set to 2.8 V. I did some research on this beforehand on the K6-2 chip, and it seems some of them will run reliably at 600 MHz (or so people say), so I figured I should be fairly safe at 500 MHz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules