Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > what happened? switcher without a clue..

what happened? switcher without a clue..
djjava
Senior User
Jul 7, 2003, 06:52 PM

I came back from work today to find my PB17 sitting at my desk, as normal. But the pulsing light was not pulsing. I lifted the lid, and I saw the Darwin login terminal filling the whole screen. I am not at all familair with unix commands, so I did not know what the heck to do. I did a hard reboot. I didn't get the boot up sound, and it sat on the gray apple logo for a while. then the screen went black. booted up again (no boot sound), and everything went fine.

any clues? I have none... one drawback to the switch is cluelessness.

PS: i probably should mention I'm running 10.2.5
( Last edited by djjava; Jul 7, 2003 at 06:58 PM. )
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2003, 07:19 PM

I believe you have experienced a 'kernel panic' due to OS 10.2.5. I made the same discovery when I had a USB hub plugged into my PB17 running OS 10.2.5. It was fine under 10.2.4 and 10.2.6, or 10.2.5 without the hub.

This is a known problem with 10.2.5, just upgrade the OS (using Apple's software updates) and the problem will go away. I'd recommend going to 10.2.6 anyway, 10.2.5 should never had been a released OS.

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Jul 7, 2003, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by SEkker:
I believe you have experienced a 'kernel panic' due to OS 10.2.5. I made the same discovery when I had a USB hub plugged into my PB17 running OS 10.2.5. It was fine under 10.2.4 and 10.2.6, or 10.2.5 without the hub.

This is a known problem with 10.2.5, just upgrade the OS (using Apple's software updates) and the problem will go away. I'd recommend going to 10.2.6 anyway, 10.2.5 should never had been a released OS.
I ran the software update to 10.2.6, something i probably shoudl have done long ago. i got the bootup sound back, and i think things should be back to normal. I haven't put the Pb to sleep yet, but when i do, I'm sure things will be fine, as with most strange things.

if there is any more toughts on this topic, post please. this is strange because I had 10.2.5 since it was release, and never experience a KP, even with my Hub.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."

msykes
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 12:06 AM

Originally posted by djjava:
I ran the software update to 10.2.6, something i probably shoudl have done long ago. i got the bootup sound back, and i think things should be back to normal. I haven't put the Pb to sleep yet, but when i do, I'm sure things will be fine, as with most strange things.

if there is any more toughts on this topic, post please. this is strange because I had 10.2.5 since it was release, and never experience a KP, even with my Hub.
The only other thing that bears mentioning is that the behaviour where it remains at the grey screen, then boots a "second" time is normal. The OS scans the disk for errors after a hard reboot, then reboots again from scratch. It worried me the first time before I realize this.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 05:47 AM

Updating to 10.2.6 is a good move, 10.2.5 foe me was, to be kind, flakey at best...

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Jul 10, 2003, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Updating to 10.2.6 is a good move, 10.2.5 foe me was, to be kind, flakey at best...
i've had 10.2.6 for a few days now... and i got a kernel panic. My Pb17 told me to restart.

I have a USB hub with my cordles logitech, lexmark printer, handspring visor cradle, and digital camera cable in it. my other usb port has my logitech mouse. Strange, i haven't hear much about people getting KPs in 10.2.6. I unpluggd the Hub and just plugged my cordless keyboard and left the mouse alone. kind of annoying.

Being a switcher, and all this being new to me... i may make these things seem to be more than they really are. I always get reassured when people say "that's normal" or "yeah happened to me... don't worry about it."

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2003, 02:59 AM

i had my first kernel panic like, half an hour ago (first one on this comp)

it was kinda depressing... i mean, like when i got my first stuck pixel. i'll get over it
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Jul 11, 2003, 08:31 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
i had my first kernel panic like, half an hour ago (first one on this comp)

it was kinda depressing... i mean, like when i got my first stuck pixel. i'll get over it
what's your configuration?

your Mac, I mean.

Pangasius
Jul 11, 2003, 09:44 AM

Please tell me what you have installed I bet you got Norton Installed. Norton is known to cause problems like this ironically. If you just tell me what hardware you got and what Software you have installed I think I can help you get to the bottom of this. Also you may want to repair your permissions using Apple Disk Utility. This can be a bad font, or incompatible Kernel extension. These things you will be glad to know are rare so Im sure we can get this fixed.

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Jul 11, 2003, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Pangasius:
Please tell me what you have installed I bet you got Norton Installed. Norton is known to cause problems like this ironically. If you just tell me what hardware you got and what Software you have installed I think I can help you get to the bottom of this. Also you may want to repair your permissions using Apple Disk Utility. This can be a bad font, or incompatible Kernel extension. These things you will be glad to know are rare so Im sure we can get this fixed.
PM in your inbox.

PS: anyone else curious to know my setup... PM me.
( Last edited by djjava; Jul 11, 2003 at 01:02 PM. )

djjava  (op)
Senior User
Jul 12, 2003, 12:10 AM

I have just spent a fair amoutn time with Pangasius to my aid going through some necessary actions on the PB17.... very helpful indeed... he put up with my anxiety... but now I'm updated to the brim with software updates and disk first aid and permissions repaired, the whole shabang...

hopefully no more KPs.... I've come out of this a bit more wise than i was before.... MacNN rocks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules