Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Color Duplex Laser Printer

Color Duplex Laser Printer
msykes
Senior User
Jan 21, 2004, 06:21 PM

Hi Everyone,

I did a search but didn't find a whole lot of information on color duplex laser printers (ie print on both sides). We are about ready to upgrade in our lab from an again HP laserjet, and are looking for the best replacement. We will be using Macs, PCs and Linux boxes (did I mention it must be networked?), and so far I haven't found too many options.

#1 HP 3700dn for 1999$
#2 Dell W5300n w/ optional duplexer for 1498$ regular price, 1248$ on sale

Now the immediate problem with the Dell is that it does not advertise Mac compatibility. Will this be a problem? All macs are running OSX 10.2 or 10.3, there are no classic machines. I figure we could probably use some kind of generic driver, but I'm afraid that the generic drivers might not support duplex printing.

Are there any other options? Price is definitely a factor, and the HP should be at the high end of the range.

Thanks,

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2004, 01:42 AM

You might also want to consider the Xerox 6250dn. HP has had a past reputation of producing high quality products and their lasers would last for years. Unfortunately, those days of coming to an end. I worked as an HP rep and I am familiar with many of the problems that they were experiencing and how they were making money off of their consumables. They don't hold the quality edge they use to.

msykes  (op)
Senior User
Jan 22, 2004, 08:29 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, though unfortunately that one looks even pricier than the HP. HP has a bit of a foothold (we already own an HP, and several surrounding labs do as well), so one will have to be cheaper for us to buy anything else.

OreoCookie
Jan 23, 2004, 01:36 AM

What about Oki?
Good printers, cheap consumables.

According to the homepage (!), the Oki 5300n (network interface) costs $1153,99, the duplex unit is another $319,99, altogether $1472,98, and this is the "official" price. I bet, you'll find it cheaper. PCL 5c and Postscript 3 are standard, thus, you can use all platforms.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

msykes  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
What about Oki?
Good printers, cheap consumables.

According to the homepage (!), the Oki 5300n (network interface) costs $1153,99, the duplex unit is another $319,99, altogether $1472,98, and this is the "official" price. I bet, you'll find it cheaper. PCL 5c and Postscript 3 are standard, thus, you can use all platforms.
Hadn't heard of Oki before actually, I will add it to the list. Also that led me to QMS, any reports on those? Their 3100dn for 1999 would also fit the bill.

The Dell also advertises Postscript 3 and PCL 5/6 compatibility, does that mean it should work with the mac? Even duplexing? Personally I'm no fan of Dell but it's unfortunately still the cheapest.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by msykes:
Hadn't heard of Oki before actually, I will add it to the list. Also that led me to QMS, any reports on those? Their 3100dn for 1999 would also fit the bill.

The Dell also advertises Postscript 3 and PCL 5/6 compatibility, does that mean it should work with the mac? Even duplexing? Personally I'm no fan of Dell but it's unfortunately still the cheapest.
Ever since Minolta took over QMS their products have taken a turn for the worse. The price is attractive and the consumables are reasonable but maintenance is a nightmare. You would be wise to stay away from their products.

Back up 15 and punt
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2004, 04:08 PM

You know their is another possibility. Xerox does have programs were you can receive a printer for free as long as you order supplies through them. After two years the printer is yours lock stock and barrel. The printer comes with a two year maintenance contract that covers you 24/7. The one big difference is that this is not a laser printer. It is a solid inkjet printer and in most cases, faster than many lasers. Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.freecolorprinters.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules