Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" heat up more than 15"?

12" heat up more than 15"?
SassyPants
Jun 25, 2005, 10:54 PM

just wondering, because i'll try to choose between the 2...

does the 12" get noticably hotter than the 15"?
and is there really a speed difference between the 12" and 15"?

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 26, 2005, 03:41 AM

I think heat is about the same on the newer Rev C/D models....Both models get kinda hot if you're doing processor intensive tasks.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

ddma
Forum Regular
Jun 26, 2005, 10:55 PM

I have used both 12-inch and 15-inch PowerBook and I think they both get really hot after using processor intensive tasks. However, the 12-inch would heat up faster than the 15-inch probably because of the small enclosure. It may also due to the HD of the 12-inch PowerBook is located right under your left palm, which may make you "feel" the 12-inch is hotter. But in the end, I think they both generate similar heat.

D.
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2005, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ddma
I have used both 12-inch and 15-inch PowerBook and I think they both get really hot after using processor intensive tasks. However, the 12-inch would heat up faster than the 15-inch probably because of the small enclosure. It may also due to the HD of the 12-inch PowerBook is located right under your left palm, which may make you "feel" the 12-inch is hotter. But in the end, I think they both generate similar heat.

D.
Where is the HD for 15 PB, thx
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2005, 09:32 AM

I think the 12" gets hotter mainly just because the surface area is smaller and therefore it feels hotter to the touch than a 15 or 17". If I'm not mistaken the HD in the 15" is also around the trackpad/left palm area.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

ddma
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2005, 10:04 AM

The HD is located right under the trackpad on the 15-inch PowerBook.
The stupidest user.
.ddma.SAY - http://www.didierma.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules