Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > Design custom frame for QuickTime movies

Design custom frame for QuickTime movies
opheim
Jan 7, 2004, 04:23 AM

We're going to put up several video clips on our news-site within the next few months, and I was wondering: Is it possible to design or create a custom frame, or skin, to the movies, which I'll embed on the page? I'm thinking in the direction of having a border which states the company name, preferrably some custom buttons etc.

And if this is possible, what are the odds of implementing it using some sort of css or similar? Anyone with a proper solution will of course be rewarded with a free ice cold beer on their next visit to the land of the vikings, west coast. Thank you...
Hallvard Opheim
Dual 2GHz G5, 9800Pro, 2.5GB, BT, iSight
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2004, 09:16 AM

Not only is it possible to skin movies which you can embed in the page, but if a user saves the movie, the skin will show up in the QuickTime Player too. You can even skin the buttons (in fact, you have to; otherwise the only control the user will have over the movie will be to double-click to start and again to stop).

Only problem is, QuickTime skins with buttons require special software to create; you cannot do it in CSS. I believe there's a freeware out there called Tattoo which can help you, or you can visit http://www.totallyhip.com and check out their software (which is pricey, but nothing beats it for really unlocking QuickTime's potential).
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

spauldingg
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 14, 2004, 04:57 PM

You can use Adobe GoLive to make skins and pretty much anything else with QT.

Here's mine: (load this into quicktime open url menu item.

http://www.designasaur.com/imagesasaur.qtl

Now, if someone could just tell me how to launch it from a webpage. Works on windows, not on mac. weird
“The love of liberty is the love of others; the love of power is the love of ourselves.” -- William Hazlitt

opheim  (op)
Jan 15, 2004, 07:12 PM

AAaaah... Just what I'm looking for! Well almost, anyways...

What I would like is to embed that on a webpage, so it works just like a normal embedded qt-movie (hence, using the <embed> tag), but the frame shows our logo (small) and a "special event" logo.

I haven't tried out the totallyhip software, but that thing was a bit too expensive for the budgets at hand, so it's not really an alternative... The tattoo software seemed to be able only to create standalone stuff. Unless I can embed it, it's not gonna do the trick...
Hallvard Opheim
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

opheim  (op)
Jan 15, 2004, 07:27 PM

Perhaps I'm complicating this too much... How about just creating a table like this:

That way, it'd seem to be a movie frame, and it would be extremely easy to create using php, in order to repeat the frame wherever needed...
Hallvard Opheim
PB17 1GHz, 1GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules