Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > It can't be long now....?

It can't be long now....? (Page 2)
auribe14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 12:39 AM

Macworld info... ???

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2008, 01:57 AM

I hear they're building DL2 to only work on the Macbook Air.

heh.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 11:45 AM

Only 6 days left until the release of DL2!

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by MikeShayne View Post
I like your wording. "when Wil will DECIDE IT'S TIME to release it" Perhaps it's ready, and Wi just wants to see if he can make some kind of record for lateness.
Heh. So true.

Delicious Library - Increasingly Irrelevant

illitrate
Jan 19, 2008, 07:07 AM

if you're that unconcerned by DL2, why'd you go to all the effort of ranting about it on your blog and then posting the link here as well?

anyway, I downloaded dvdpedia to try it out again as it's been a couple of years since i last tried it. i do like the html export templates - makes it very easy
what's not so nice is the fact that i imported my DL library and dvdpedia has managed to mix up the vast majority of the cover images. so i've had to redownload all the covers - and now check it got all of them right

it's alright, dvdpedia, but i'm not sure that it offers sufficient benefits over DL1 (with DeliciousSQLexport or DeliciWeb) to warrant switching - because i'll just have to switch back if DL2 ever gets released

edit: sorry, i take that back. dvdpedia isn't useable in the interim. it just took me over 10 minutes to scan the barcodes of 4 dvds using the isight. it seems to be really picky about the image. one dvd, Yesterday, took about 5 minutes.
i've just scanned all 4 into DL1 in under 10 seconds - Yesterday scanned as fast as all the others.
the key advantage that DL has is the abilty to scan in one after the other without having to wait for the search to complete. and the fact that the isight scan works so well and so quick
( Last edited by illitrate; Jan 19, 2008 at 07:11 AM. Reason: changed opinion after trying to use s/w)

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2008, 06:48 AM

3 days to go... (and 1 day left until 10.5.2).

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by illitrate View Post
if you're that unconcerned by DL2, why'd you go to all the effort of ranting about it on your blog and then posting the link here as well?
I'm not "unconcerned". I said it was increasingly irrelevant.

edit: sorry, i take that back. dvdpedia isn't useable in the interim. it just took me over 10 minutes to scan the barcodes of 4 dvds using the isight. it seems to be really picky about the image. one dvd, Yesterday, took about 5 minutes.
i've just scanned all 4 into DL1 in under 10 seconds - Yesterday scanned as fast as all the others.
the key advantage that DL has is the abilty to scan in one after the other without having to wait for the search to complete. and the fact that the isight scan works so well and so quick
Go to their forums. There is a beta that should help resolve this.

As for using DeliciWeb, I have. While it's very nice on its own, it's not a true part of DL1. Nor is the SQL export utility. That hampers them and their functionality greatly. The pedias, on the other hand, have a template architecture for HTML export making it very simple to create or add that functionality. You can also skin the UI itself, not just the HTML export.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tsurisuto View Post
10.5.2 is due out NEXT month, not tomorrow.

AppleInsider | Nearly 100 fixes planned for Apple's second Leopard update

Still going with your nonsense 3 days?

My guess is that in a couple weeks or so when 10.5.2 is released we STILL won't see DL2. Maybe in the release after that. Maybe never.

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by -LD View Post
My guess is that in a couple weeks or so when 10.5.2 is released we STILL won't see DL2. Maybe in the release after that. Maybe never.
I hope not.

euclidjr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 10:33 PM

I think "maybe never" is excessive - this isn't Duke Nukem after all. I guess that's the problem with suggesting a date of the Leopard release date. Anyway, the suggestion from a comment on Wil's "Call Me Fishmeal" blog suggests that no final release date is available, but that DL2 should be ready for beta testing around the first week of February:

Actually, I said I'll be working on it in two weeks, not that it'll be done in two weeks.

FogBugz says the beta will be out by February 4th. I don't have the bug reports from the beta yet (surprise!) so I can't project the final release date.

I make no promises either way. I need to make it beautiful, fast, and solid, while adding all these major features. It takes a while.

-W

agentsarah6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2008, 11:34 PM

I wouldn't mind getting in on a beta test. I'll keep an eye out.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by euclidjr View Post
I on Wil's "Call Me Fishmeal" blog suggests that no final release date is available, but that DL2 should be ready for beta testing around the first week of February:
They've been saying beta testing would begin "in a week" for how many months now? It's ****ing pathetic.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by euclidjr View Post
I think "maybe never" is excessive
Perhaps. I did type it tongue in cheek. But I honestly wonder when it will come out. It's becoming Vista. At this point I am expecting it to work like Vista too. Slow, buggy, and not compatible with anything.

What could possibly be taking so long? Honestly, what's the holdup? In my 10+ years of experience in technology industries (from startups to Fortune 500s and everything in between) when delays like this occur it's because the product is excessively buggy. So buggy that the code can't be fixed, it has to be rewritten, hence the delay.

There is some major problem. I don't know what it is, but it's major. Of course DM will never admit to this, that wouldn't make business sense.

I am following this like I am following the Britney trainwreck. It's goddamned hilarious.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
If I had to place bets I would bet on the first half of December, but we'll have to see how it unfolds as the beta widens (from limited to private) next week or so.
Heh.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2008, 09:47 PM

When will it come out?

TUAW Interviews Mike Lee of Delicious Monster, looks at Delicious Library 2 - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

The answer is "we're artisans" and "we're polishing the nut"

More like polishing a turd. I like the Applescript menu thing. That's cool. Most everything else was simply getting up to the modern day, with one exception, their "social" stuff. The sharing of libraries. The social isn't new, but their implementation seems cool.

Not enough to make me care. Too little too late.

huwb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 03:40 AM

-LD,

For someone who is obviously disappointed, I am amazed that you are posting so much about DL2. Not just here, but at least on one other forum.

I'm disappointed that DL2 hasn't come out yet, but there are other things in the world that we should worry about before DL2's timeliness.

H.

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 06:31 AM

"We're not like big companies. We don't actually want to release our product. What would be the fun in that?"

Spend a little less time "polishing your nut."

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2008, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by huwb View Post
I'm disappointed that DL2 hasn't come out yet, but there are other things in the world that we should worry about before DL2's timeliness.
Why do people on forums always assume silly things like this? Posting about DL and being concerned with truly important issues aren't mutually exclusive. I can do both. I can chew bubblegum and walk at the same time too. It's amazing, this whole multi-tasking thing.

Bwa
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 28, 2008, 11:37 PM

In my 10+ years of experience in technology industries (from startups to Fortune 500s and everything in between) when delays like this occur it's because the product is excessively buggy. So buggy that the code can't be fixed, it has to be rewritten, hence the delay.
In my experience, these kinds of delays happen when "we have to rewrite the code". I don't know if that's what's going on here (haven't been following this closely), but rewriting can contribute greatly to this kind of "forever delayed" cycle.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tsurisuto View Post
Wrong and wrong.

What will see first, a Mac tablet or DL2? Extinction of lemurs or DL2? Windows 7 or DL2? 10.6 or DL2? My birthday or DL2?

Rawketcato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2008, 11:15 PM

please please please release DL2 so he can shut the hell up....(even though he has no intentions on buying it).

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2008, 11:48 PM

I already wasted my money on DL1. I won't make that mistake twice, so you are right, I have no intentions of buying it.

Are you really bothered by me and my posts, or is it that you too are sick of waiting?

Scrubelicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 02:18 AM

10.5.2 is out so where DL2 at?
This week right?

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scrubelicious View Post
10.5.2 is out so where DL2 at?
This week right?
Didn't they say that the beta of DL2 will be released on the 15th February. So if that goes smoothly, we should see a public release in about a month.

Scrubelicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2008, 04:17 AM

Sounds good! So where is the Beta?

manjom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2008, 01:35 PM

Feb 26 2008

anyrandomthing
Feb 29, 2008, 03:58 AM

i think it's safe to say at this point they have completely abandoned any notion of getting this thing out the door quickly. for a while it really seemed like things were going somewhat slow, but nevertheless there was a real effort to get it done and progress, bug updates -- mere talk, at least.

i used to be a big DL defender, but in retrospect, I can't believe apple gave them that design award for super-ultra-double-alpha software. what was that, like 6-8 months ago? and it's simple cataloging software, it's not photoshop or flash or something. I'm really curious about what it looked like, because it couldnt have been that impressive.

hey, i guess apple and DL have something in common, though, with completely unmanageable delays on both accounts.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 12:20 PM

You guys are real fanbois.

You keep whining and complaining, and acting up, and then say there's nothing special about DL.

So why do you even bother ? Why do you get so emotional about it ?

-t

Tsurisuto  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 29, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

You keep whining and complaining, and acting up, and then say there's nothing special about DL.

-t
Well said. Some people on these boards are acting like babies. If you don't think that DL2 is worth the wait, then don't wait. It's as simple as that!

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 29, 2008, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by anyrandomthing View Post
i think it's safe to say at this point they have completely abandoned any notion of getting this thing out the door quickly. for a while it really seemed like things were going somewhat slow, but nevertheless there was a real effort to get it done and progress, bug updates -- mere talk, at least.
Just because they're not posting every detail regarding their status doesn't mean that they "have completely abandoned any notion of getting this thing out the door quickly".

i used to be a big DL defender, but in retrospect, I can't believe apple gave them that design award for super-ultra-double-alpha software. what was that, like 6-8 months ago? and it's simple cataloging software, it's not photoshop or flash or something. I'm really curious about what it looked like, because it couldnt have been that impressive.
Theocacao: Delicious Library 2 Preview
Theocacao: A Closer Look at Delicious Library 2

hey, i guess apple and DL have something in common, though, with completely unmanageable delays on both accounts.
I think everyone needs to calm down a little.

anyrandomthing
Feb 29, 2008, 04:33 PM

-t
just let me know where i said there was nothing special about it. i said the alpha of dl2 was probably undeserving of an award. i do like the program, bud.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 29, 2008, 04:38 PM

just let me know where i said there was nothing special about it. i said the alpha of dl2 was probably undeserving of an award. i do like the program, bud.
Here:

... and it's simple cataloging software, it's not photoshop or flash or something. I'm really curious about what it looked like, because it couldnt have been that impressive.
I don't know what your intentions were, but it for sure sounded like downplaying DL a bit.

-t

anyrandomthing
Feb 29, 2008, 06:12 PM

Here:

I don't know what your intentions were, but it for sure sounded like downplaying DL a bit.

-t
i really dont even know what to say, you used a quote from me that directly contradicts your claim; i say right there that as a piece of alpha software it was probably unimpressive. further, there is no persuasive consequence of "simple" software being undesirable. my point is that the complexity is not on the same level as a program that depends on very heavy user-input like flash. that doesnt mean it isn't cool, or i dont like it. but im saying it's not on the same level, unlike the normative inferences you posit here.

regardless, i don't feel like going on with these sorts of squabbles over intention; if you'd like to call your mother and say you won an argument with some stranger on the internet, you're more than welcome to. that won't bother me.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2008, 06:06 AM

Why don't you just shut up and stop whining.

-t

anyrandomthing
Mar 2, 2008, 06:03 PM

cool, clown.

-LD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2008, 08:35 PM

What will see first, a Mac tablet or DL2? Extinction of lemurs or DL2? Windows 7 or DL2? 10.6 or DL2? My birthday or DL2?
Well, my birthday is Sunday. Will DL2 beat the deadline?!?

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2008, 05:47 PM

Well, my birthday is Sunday. Will DL2 beat the deadline?!?
Nope. I got 5 says it wont come out in March either. At least not in March 2008.

Mark Booth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 10:27 AM

With Mike Lee leaving Delicious Monster earlier this month, one has to wonder if the product will EVER ship.

Mark

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2008, 09:28 PM

I'm guessing all the free license offers Mike Lee threw out are now null and void? Can I just ask for a refund at this point? 10 days until yet another pathetic "It's coming _____" claim. Does Shipley even have anyone working for hi anymore at this point? Haven't they all jumped shipped? Can Apple finally take away the awards they prematurely handed out to this vaporware?

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2008, 03:58 AM

Call Me Fishmeal.: MacBook Air: Rambling First Impressions (PG!)
"On the other hand, if this baby is plugged in and sitting on a flat surface, I can play Teh WoWz all day and it's great. (Not great for shipping DL2, so I don't do it, but I could. It's nice to know it's there, like a beautiful ex who still wants to have sex with you.)"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 22, 2008, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post
With Mike Lee leaving Delicious Monster earlier this month, one has to wonder if the product will EVER ship.
That certainly isn't good news, because it will lead to a delay for sure.

-t

anyrandomthing
Mar 22, 2008, 11:31 PM

yawn...

Feynman
Forum Regular
Mar 24, 2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Booth View Post

Mark
Where did you hear this?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Where did you hear this?
Google is your friend.

He announced it in his blog.

http://atomicwang.org/mother****er/Index/Index.html

Edit: Well, you obviously have to replace **** with the obvious, since the MacNN filter is no respecter of URL.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Mar 24, 2008 at 05:21 PM. )

MDNZ
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 05:18 PM

Now that explains the abundance of Lemurs in sample library!

REBELinBLUE
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 05:26 PM

Well that is not a good sign

MikeShayne
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2008, 10:25 PM

Shipley needs to grow a pair and say what's going on.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2008, 08:39 AM

So much for shipping in March, though they never did specify the year or decade for that matter.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Mar 26, 2008, 03:06 PM

I'm gonna be playing Teh Don'T Buy DL2 all day.

SolSat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 26, 2008, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Horsepoo!!! View Post
I'm gonna be playing Teh Don'T Buy DL2 all day.

Guys, please calm down....

All I can say is that there was a new beta of DL2 today available for the closed beta test, and the App is not only awesome looking, but also already very stable.
In a short time I scanned 130 Games (from everywhere, Japan, US, Europe) from different game machines (Neo Geo, NEC, Super Famicom, etc) and it rocked solid up to now (continue testing the other 600 games left), so don't do your bad mouthing here, please.

I am pretty sure that if there isn't any new "big" issue found, the final release will be done soon, so just keep some patience please.

Cheers,

SolSat

Forum Links
Forum Rules