Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > logging on in Belgium/Europe

logging on in Belgium/Europe
reptilian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2001, 10:30 PM

I just bought an iBook to to take on a month long trip to Europe in September, most of which will be spent in a home in a small town in Belgium; the last 8-9 days will be either in Tuscany or somewhere we haven't figured out yet. My current ISP (AT&T broadband) does not do business in Europe, so I have looked at AOL and Earthlink. My research shows that their prices are roughly equal (although I do get the first month free with Earthlink), but the REAL issue is obviously quality and reliability of hookup. So, anyone with experience using either of these in Europe, especially Belgium, can be helpful. I also need a bit of advice on power plug adapters and phone cord adapters as my local resellers, the ISP's and Apple customer service all seem to be pretty vague and/or unsure of things and I would prefer to have things well set up before I go. Thanks to anyone who can help me.
reptilian

t_hah
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2001, 11:00 PM

Sorry, I cannot help you out with the ISP question. I can help you with the adapter though.
Check your iBook adapter...look at what is written on it. If it says 100-240V then you should be able to use it in Europe...I think all Apple porteble adapters are made that way...but just to make sure you should check.
You will need the converter. I travel quite often as well, and I found a great power adapter at www.madsonline.com. Their sevice was great too. Of course you could just try to get an US-Europen Power adapter at Radio Shack (they probably carry it).
When I was traveling around Europe this summer I had no problems with the phone cord that came with my TiBook. It worked like a dream. I am guessing there is not much difference in the phone cord in Europe. I hope this will help you out.

Good luck

t

reptilian  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2001, 12:26 AM

Thanks so much for the quick and thorough reply. My iBook power adaptor is 100-240v (which, by the by, is something that amazes me, that a senstive machine coud run on such a wide range of power), so that is cool. I'll try Radio Shack for the plug converter: is it the same all over Europe?
As for phone jack, I thought it was different in Europe, but you used your standard issue USA iBook phone cord? Which countries?
Thanks so much.
reptilian

iBook Tom
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2001, 09:47 AM

If you want dial access in Europe, I highly recommend an ISP that used to be EUnet, and is now KPNQwest.

Their "KPNQwest Traveller" product has dial in numbers all over Europe (and the U.S.), and I also it to access AOL through TCP access.

One other benefit of the Traveller product is the availability of toll free 800 numbers within the US if you end up in an area without a local number.

I don't know how the contact the consumer part of the company, but their web site with a full description of the Traveller product, along with dial in numbers, is at:
http://www.kqtravel.com/

There is a link there to make inquiries for signing up.

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules