Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Older people and technology

Older people and technology
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 05:05 AM

I'm buying my parents a Mac mini next week. I'm out here visiting them and my mom was complaining about how slow her computer is and that these popups keep blocking the internet. Norton Antivirus just autoran and found a few viruses and other stuff, but couldn't delete any of it. What's the point of anti-virus for most people if the program just finishes and closes without deleting the nasties?

I showed her the switch site on apple.com yesterday and she asked all the usual questions I've answered every time I tried to get them on a Mac before. Yes, mom, the internet will work fine on a mac. Blah, sorry, it's just really frustrating being on this windows computer for a few weeks. I really, really miss expose; but at least the internet is snappy.

The minor victory of the week was teaching my parents how to Tivo!!!! I think they finally get it now.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 05:16 AM

If you want to clean those viruses, reboot into safe mode and run it again, turn off Auto Restore as well. When thats dones make sure all the updates and patches are installed
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 03:05 PM

Wait, Macs can do internet? Where's Explorer?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by awaspaas
Wait, Macs can do internet? Where's Explorer?
I thought Microsoft makes the internet?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
I thought Microsoft makes the internet?
No, stupid. Yahoo is Teh Intarweb™. Everybody knows nowadays…

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 03:55 PM

My friend's mom used to say that Yahoo wasn't working when the internet was on the fritz.

"Andy!! I can't get Yahoo to work again!"

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 03:56 PM

Apple is aware of the internet problem and has promised a fix for Q3 2006.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 03:58 PM

Just a heads up: the Apple Store is selling mini refurbs for $379, in case you didn't get the email.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2005, 04:28 PM

Apple is aware of the internet problem and has promised a fix for Q3 2006.

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 05:25 PM

lol, even better. I told my mom not to login to her bank accounts until I get a chance to clean up her computer. She says,"Why? Even if they could login to the account, it's not like they could do anything with the money."

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 05:30 PM

Meh, you guys got nothing. My father thinks the bottom of the screen is not reachable when the mouse is already on the end of the desk. I always have a hard time when visiting my parents…

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 05:52 PM

My mom'll be getting a Mac mini for Christmas . We have some open box ones at Best Buy and they'll work well for her .

My dad's not awful but he's got this strange affection for Netscape. The only hickup I think could be is that my mom sells cosmetics and this one site for the company says it needs IE. So I'll probably just install pithhelet and enable the debug menu. Don't know how well she'll do with that. And I'll get her a copy of Office and she should be fine.

Sage
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 06:08 PM

When we made the move from OS 8.6 to OS X, I had to show my mom how to close a window (even though the widget is in the exact same spot).

How do you close a window?
See that red button button right there?
Yeah.
Click on it.
Oh.

And neither of my parents have figured out that Safari’s address bar is also a progress bar – whenever they accidentally “miss” hitting a button (which, oddly, happens a lot with them), they’ll sit at the computer for a minute or two until they realize that the screen hasn’t changed, then try again.

My mom also thinks that you have to double-click thumbnails on a website in order to see the full-size image.

Yesterday she asked me for a TV guide website, and I said “tv dot yahoo dot com”. Then she said, “Maybe I should just click on my Yahoo bookmark and find the TV section.”

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 2005, 06:59 PM

^^^sounds SO familiar…

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 12, 2005, 07:05 PM

My dad is coming up on 74, and his Windows computer doesn't have tons of viruses and spyware. He is more than capable of handling keeping things up to date and even managing his hard drive space. It's not old people as such. It's people who think something like a computer is really just a fancy toaster or refrigerator, and don't pay attention to the details needed to keep the computer running. Do your parents get their cars' oil changed regularly?

By the way, the reason you couldn't delete (or more likely quarantine) those viruses is probably because one or more has disabled Norton's ability to do quarantines. Viruses often do that, if not disable the AV software completely.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules