Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > fried chicken question

fried chicken question
iLikebeer
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 07:54 PM

I'm making fried chicken for the first time tonight. I got 2 leg quarters and 4 whole chicken breasts from a natural foods style place (they have a great butcher section), but they came with that plucky looking skin on them.

Should I take that off before dipping them in the flour mixture and egg/milk or should I just leave it on? I'm not worried about if it's healthy or not, I'd just like it to taste as good as possible and not worry about the breading coming off.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 16, 2006, 07:57 PM

LEAVE IT ON, for the sake of all Southerners! HOLY CRAP, please LEAVE IT ON!!11!

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

iLikebeer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 08:16 PM

Awesome!
That's exactly what I was hoping to hear.

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 09:33 PM

Yeah, the feathers taste better breaded.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 16, 2006, 09:45 PM

Fry the chicken with the skin on. Even if you serve it without the skin or your guests take the skin off, the flavor gets into the chicken, and that's important.

Note that you can do a lot of things to lower the saturated fat content of fryed foods, starting with using a high quality, low saturates oil like canola or safflower. Do your research first, though; you don't want to use an oil that smokes 10 degrees below the temperature you want to cook at!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Apr 16, 2006, 09:54 PM

Make sure it does not have some kind of flu; so deep fry it for a long long time.

Until there is not cremated flesh on it, you cannot be sure.

Or you can sunburn it. Lotsa vitamin C I heard.
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2006, 10:13 PM

I'm a vegetarian, and even I know the skin needs to stay on. That was my favorite thing about chicken back in the day..

Forum Links
Forum Rules