Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > wireless connection issues - please help

wireless connection issues - please help
reemas
Senior User
Apr 23, 2010, 02:42 PM

I have a Linksys WRT54GS router (v.7) with the latest firmware (as of 2010/04/23). I have had the same annoying issue for maybe 2-3 years and have NEVER found a fix. I used to have this issue with my OLD MacBook Pro and a Linksys WRT54G router. I've since gotten a new machine and a new router and still have the issue.

Basically, my internet just drops. It's my whole network. Like all machines connected to the router lose their connection. This happens randomly but I found a way to replicate it I think. If I upload a large file to my FTP server, and then try to access a couple websites, my connection drops.

If anyone could help me with this it would be very much appreciated.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2010, 04:08 PM

How often does "the internet just drop?" Weekly? Every other day? Is it the actual Internet connection-as in can you still see and interact with other devices on your network? Can you connect wired? Do all the computers on your network lose connections, or can some still do some things? Which things-see other network devices or connect to the Internet?

With a wireless network, there are at least two distinct segments to look at before anything can be diagnosed, and knowing about this stuff will help a lot in figuring where to look first.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Apr 23, 2010, 05:22 PM

The connection drops randomly about once every 4-5 days. However, every now and then I upload large files to my server and this method is successful in replicating the problem.

I lose connection to my wireless router. The airport icon on the top right goes from 4 solid black lines to a pulsing (searching) pattern. I have to manually select my Network (and wait many many minutes) for it to reconnect. When this problem happens, all machines connected to the router go into searching for network mode.

I can connected to a wired connection, but the amount of time it takes me to unplug the wire from the router and into my machine is like 5 minutes and by then I usually get reconnected.

If there is any other info I can provide I'll be happy to do so, hope anyone can help.

reemas  (op)
Senior User
Apr 23, 2010, 05:37 PM

guys,
i've made a quick video of me replicating the problem. hope that helps as well. (notice the airport icon on the top right after i start the upload and then click on the apple store link.)

http://www.svohra.com/web/net.mov

reader50
Administrator
Apr 23, 2010, 07:10 PM

Leave one machine wired to the router. That way you can confirm if it is just a wireless problem, or if the router is losing connection to the internet.

From the description, I suspect the router is holding internet connection, but part of the wireless side of the router is crashing. So I'd expect a wired computer to maintain connection when the wireless fails.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2010, 06:42 PM

Those routers do that alot. Unfortunately, its new router time for you. That or put a different OS on the router. I'd suggest going with an AP extreme if you can scrounge the money for it. That, or start googling how to put a custom OS on your router. All other options will be temporary fixes and occupy a good deal of your time.

I've had three WRT54gs. One a v2, one a v4, and one a v5(?)

I threw the v4 and v5 out because they'd drop wifi every 1-2 days and require a reset. The v2 NEVER had to be reset - ever, save after the modem when offline. When they would drop, ethernet would still be fine, but my macs and PC couldn't get back on wifi until a power cycle was performed.

If I recall, the WRT54gs v1 and v2 used a linux based OS, and v3 and later used some microsoft developed crap OS, and would never work correctly for over a week on any network I've ever used.

The v2 still dutifully carries wifi at my girlfriend's place with her brand new 13" MBP and POS HP. I have upgraded to AP extreme at my pad.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 27, 2010, 09:46 PM

The v5 used a different (less powerful) processor, less RAM and a non-Linux OS. After that, Linksys pretty much stopped being "the better solution" as it stopped being open to use with third party firmware. I have a BEFSR41v3 that's been soldiering on for several years now, and the only reason I plan to replace it is to have a new AP Extreme with N WiFi.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2010, 11:21 PM

Yes, it was the v5 that i wouldn't even give to anyone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules