Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > For the car guys... Top 3 90's Sport-Compacts

For the car guys... Top 3 90's Sport-Compacts
AdotWu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 06:04 PM

TunerTalk - TunerTalk - TunerTalk's Top Three: Article #1 - The Nineties

Pretty interesting article if youre into sport-compacts. I think a few cars shoulda also made the list including the 90's Sentra se-r. Also the Miata and MR-2 but i guess those arent really sport compacts...

Discuss!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2007, 06:10 PM

The Civic is the number one? Hm...I suppose I can see it. If I'm not incredibly mistaken, the Civic got its big push from The Fast and the Furious, when Honda must have paid Vin Diesel and Paul Walker to say the name "Honda Civic" at least 50 times. That's when I noticed every 17 year old making his dad buy him a Civic and add a $15 muffler to make it a genuine race car. I'm not sure how a car with a 1.6L SOHC beats an stock AWD DOHC turbo car (Eclipse) for best compact of the '90s. I guess they had to leave a lot out when narrowing it down to only 3.

Rumor
Feb 6, 2007, 06:15 PM

Bunk list. An Eclipse/Talon isn't compact at all. The other two are not even sports cars.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

AdotWu  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2007, 06:15 PM

Well they did have to follow a certain set of requirments... mainly budget. I guess that's why the Type R didn't make the list.
15" 1.5ghz PowerBook G4
1.25 gigs of Ram

Once you go Mac, you won't go Back!

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 07:54 PM

The civic was big in the sport compact scene well before the Fast and the Furious.... in fact, 'tuner' sport compacts were the reason that movie was made: to reach all the people who were into that scene, and generate profit (which it obviously did).

That said, I don't get why they picked the civic. I know it's the most popular, but it's also one of the slowest, weakest platforms to start with. With that little 1.6 liter vtec, the thing is going NOWHERE fast. After adding a turbokit that cost a few grand, it still made ONLY 175hp. Is that impressing anybody? I mean, a 1995-1999 Neon Expresso makes 150hp, stock, and has boatloads more torque, and better handling and braking than the civic. For the price of an exhaust, intake, and a few other cheap goodies, you can have much more than 175hp in a neon for less than the price of a civic.

Now, I would understand their choice if they were talking about interior quality, or the option of getting ghetto ass riceboy modifications like Z3 fenders, huge spoilers, and tacky altezza taillights, but they werent. They were talking about actual performance, the area where the honda civic is almost dead last.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 6, 2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Bunk list. An Eclipse/Talon isn't compact at all. The other two are not even sports cars.
Yes it is. And this wasn't about sports cars, it was about 'sport compacts', which are compact cars that are fairly sporty. But again, I don't see how an anemic 1.6 liter in a civic is very sporty, especially if AFTER the turbo kit it only makes 175hp. A turbo kit on a neon nets about 200hp to the wheels.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by AdotWu View Post
Well they did have to follow a certain set of requirments... mainly budget. I guess that's why the Type R didn't make the list.
I didn't know there wasn't a "Type R" Honda, Mazda, or Mitsubishi when it came to "racing."
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
The Civic is the number one? Hm...I suppose I can see it. If I'm not incredibly mistaken, the Civic got its big push from The Fast and the Furious
Unfortunately, that was 2001, so it really doesn't apply to this list.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2007, 09:08 AM

I declare that the title of this thread should be "For the car girls... Top etc...".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 10:30 AM

That it the top 3 sports compacts ? Lol. 2 aren't even compacts IMHO.

Renault Clio RS > All.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 10:34 AM

Well Renaul hasn't been in the states since '84, so it'd be kind hard for it to make the list.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
After adding a turbokit that cost a few grand, it still made ONLY 175hp. Is that impressing anybody?
i miss read it the frist time too, i think they ment to say it would add around 175 HP check out edelbrocks page

Edelbrock.com | Edelbrock Sport Compact - TURBOS - Performer X

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post
i miss read it the frist time too, i think they ment to say it would add around 175 HP check out edelbrocks page

Originally Posted by Original Article
the small 15g turbo is more than enough to boost engine power up to about 40-50hp. However, if you can shell out the extra cash, The Edelbrock kit is as complete as it gets and comes with everything needed to net a whopping 175whp. Not bad for a small 1.6-liter single-cam.
Originally Posted by G4ME's link
The Garrett ball bearing turbo spools up fast, works with pump gas and still makes over 60% more power than stock.
The D16Z6 has 125hp stock, so a 60% increase is 200hp, with a 17% drivetrain loss is 166whp, just like the article says. Rob didn't misread it.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by G4ME View Post

Uh, NO. That would go boom, really really quickly without major bottom end work, custom rods, etc.

PB2K
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2007, 02:01 PM

my favorite 90's car, the 405 ti16. fit this engine in a 205 and you have a racecar
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2007, 04:06 PM

a rwd car, an awd car and a fwd car. seems like they forgot to add a category.

seems like the awd celica or a prelude/integra would have been in the running.

that list frustrates me.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 04:09 PM

AWD celica= celica GT Four, very very very rare. A lot of people didn't even know they existed. The prelude? Too heavy to be super sporty. Nice ride though. Integra? Yeah.... I don't get it. It's a MUCH better car than the civic, generally.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post

my favorite 90's car, the 405 ti16. fit this engine in a 205 and you have a racecar
Tripod image dude. NO idea what you're takling about.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 04:11 PM

He's talking about the Peugeot 405 MI16/T16.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
I mean, a 1995-1999 Neon Expresso makes 150hp, stock, and has boatloads more torque, and better handling and braking than the civic. For the price of an exhaust, intake, and a few other cheap goodies, you can have much more than 175hp in a neon for less than the price of a civic.
Here we go again.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by maximusbibicus View Post
Here we go again.

He brought it up in the ~6th post and hasn't mentioned it since. I don't see what the big deal is.

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2007, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post

He brought it up in the ~6th post and hasn't mentioned it since. I don't see what the big deal is.
You haven't been around long enough. Anytime cars are discussed the Neon and the SVX are raised to godlike status. He has owned both.

Coincidence?

Not starting s*&$, just poking a little fun. He is a good sport.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

centerchannel68
Baninated
Feb 7, 2007, 06:01 PM

You haven't been around long enough. Anytime cars are discussed the Neon and the SVX are raised to godlike status. He has owned both.

Coincidence?

Not starting s*&$, just poking a little fun. He is a good sport.
Dude. It's more of a performance car than the freakin' civic. That's all I'm saying. I sold my neon for a reason... it was a shitty daily driver. Too many rattles.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2007, 06:20 PM

I've been around since the first time that he "left," in early '01 (I remember getting in trouble for reading this thread at school due to the sexual nature of the title )

Don't judge a user by their join date.

Forum Links
Forum Rules