Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrade or sell n buy?

upgrade or sell n buy?
iREZ
Professional Poster
May 25, 2005, 06:56 PM

i have the machine below and am looking to splurge on my computer setup. i have a 20" lcd dell monitor and logitech mx duo when i use my pb as a desktop but was wondering if i should shell out for a new pb, of i should put some cash in this one. the only places left to upgrade would be hard drive and optical drives...both would have to be done by an apple tech to keep my warranty which is good for another 2 years give or take a month or two. what d'ya all suggest for me to do. to tell ya the truth, the only thing that really bothers me is the 32mb of vram on the machine, even thought i run it in clamshell mode.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2005, 12:10 AM

Hi,

i think that's the predicament that I always seem to find myself in. I have been fortunate enough to find good deals, so I not only think about upgrading the machines, but turning them around for some profit. What I generally end up doing though is looking for the newest and best machines, and then what happens is that I never get to hold onto one machine for a long period of time.

Many of you have suggested to me that if I am happy with the current machine, then just keep it. I have a hard time following that though.

It looks like in your case, it may be more worthwhile to get as much as you can with your machine, and then with that money buy one of the newer ones.

I just hate how these things (or machines in general) depreciate. I also hate knowing that newer ones come out every several months, and the newer ones are usually cheaper with more features. That was one of the main reasons I had my pismo as my laptop, since I knew it was the cheapest possible thing that I could get ($200 before my upgrades), and I wouldn't worry about depreciation or anything like that.

But now I just got myself a used 17" 1.33, and I am having similar questions as you are.

Good Luck!

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
May 26, 2005, 08:47 AM

I am realizing it's best for me to have an ultraportable and a desktop. If I were you I would keep the 12" and consider an iMac. I am seriously considering selling my flawless 1.5 Ghz 17" for about $1700 and purchasing a new top of the line 2 Ghz iMac, since I already have an ultraportable Vaio T250 Laptop. Only reason it's not a iBook or 12" Powerbook is neither one of those has a PC slot for my Verizon Wireless Broadband card. So I figure I can be extremely satisfied with the T250 and the iMac.

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by urrl78
I am realizing it's best for me to have an ultraportable and a desktop. If I were you I would keep the 12" and consider an iMac. I am seriously considering selling my flawless 1.5 Ghz 17" for about $1700 and purchasing a new top of the line 2 Ghz iMac, since I already have an ultraportable Vaio T250 Laptop. Only reason it's not a iBook or 12" Powerbook is neither one of those has a PC slot for my Verizon Wireless Broadband card. So I figure I can be extremely satisfied with the T250 and the iMac.
if my 12" had a bloody pcmcia i could use verizon broadband and go completely wireless sigh
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by urrl78
I am seriously considering selling my flawless 1.5 Ghz 17" for about $1700 and purchasing a new top of the line 2 Ghz iMac, since I already have an ultraportable Vaio T250 Laptop.
Ah yes but does the Vaio run OS X? I guess it all depends on what you're using the portable for.
Wherever you go... there you are.

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2005, 12:37 AM

I was going to replace my PowerBook but I decided to max the RAM and buy some more accessories....I can barely see a difference between my 15" Rev A and my friends 15" Rev C(1.67). Hold out a little longer iRez,you still have a very capable machine and I'm sure the next revision will be worth waiting for.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
May 27, 2005, 01:47 AM

yeah but should i upgrade the machine....keep it as is...or sell and buy new or newer ie. 1.33 12"????
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

tekno_geek911
Mac Enthusiast
May 27, 2005, 01:55 AM

Now that I think about it....It would probably cost you more to upgrade the internals than to upgrade to a newer machine,the Rev C PowerBooks are priced very reasonably nowadays.
::12" PowerBook G4 | 1.33GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | APX | OS X 10.4.1::
::30GB iPod Photo::

Forum Links
Forum Rules