Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Office v.X updates not working for me

Office v.X updates not working for me
Dace
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2003, 06:16 PM

I tried installing the updates but InstallerVISE takes forever to "gather information", seems to freeze and I have to "force quit" it.. Anyone know why?

Tried to update 'cause Word is very slow to respond, thought the updates might fix this.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 11:07 AM

Guess no one can help.I guess I'm the only one who can't get InstallerVISE to work

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2003, 11:27 PM

Make sure you have no other drives mounted except your local hard drives.
The VISE installer is really, really slow at scanning through network drives and WebDAV folders like iDisk.
I've found this helps tremendously.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 10:45 AM

I am having this exact same problem... the 10.1.2 update taking FOREVER to "gather information"... I eventually just Force Quit it.

Anyone else had this problem?
Anyone found a solution to this problem?

Thanks!

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Jul 8, 2003, 12:05 PM

Now I'm not making any suggestions or accusations here, but I remember reading somewhere that updates to Office v.X would prevent duplicate versions with the same serial key working again - as if Microsoft compiled a list of them if they knew they'd been copied.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 12:13 PM

I have a fully-paid-for volume license version of Office v.X.
So, that shouldn't be the issue... but I am seeing cases where I can run Office on one of the networked machines... but just one. Even that is flaky though.
And its not that it can be run but complains of license issues... rather, it simply won't run.

kennedy
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 12:54 PM

Okay, now after repeated tries, it is getting through "gathering information", moves through the license dialog, and gets to the "Install" dialog, which in the lower left allows you to select a folder. The folder it says it has selected is "Office" on disk "Shared". There is no "Office" directly under "Shared", rather it should be updating "/Shared/Applications/Microsoft Office X/".

Anyway, if I just click Install, it searches my various disks including "Users", which is an 80GB disk with just user home directories. It hangs there.

If I click Select Folder it hangs.

So, this updater is still a no-go. MicroSloft sucks!

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by kennedy:
The folder it says it has selected is "Office" on disk "Shared". There is no "Office" directly under "Shared", rather it should be updating "/Shared/Applications/Microsoft Office X/".
This is just an installing shortcoming. All the Vise installers merely mention the folder name and the volume name without giving any information about intervening levels of hierarchy.

As somebody above mentioned, the installer is very slow when searching mounted drives, so if you can, unmount those other drives before installing.

One last ditch effort might be to install office locally in /Applications/ and update that version. Then just drag & drop into the shared directory of your choice.
cpac

kennedy
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 04:13 PM

Okay, I tried deleting Office, reinstalling it from CD into /Applications, and then running the updater. It still gets hung searching "Users" disk... for no apparent reason.

Interestingly, I also tried running the Value Pack installer on the Office disk... it also hung forever (probably searching "Users" as well, but it doesn't give any feedback on what its doing).

I'll have to wait until late tonight to unmount Users and try it then.

How is it Microsoft can so screw up an updater... especially when Apple sets a great example of effortless Software Upgrades that they could follow.

Any other suggestions?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 04:27 PM

Installer VISE installers are in general very poor. They have many issues running in OS X. So, it's not all Microsoft's fault.
Vandelay Industries

cpac
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by kennedy:
It still gets hung searching "Users" disk... for no apparent reason.
Not sure why it's slow, but it's searching that drive because M$ insists on creating Microsoft User Data folders in everybody's Documents folder (and other stuff in their library I believe).
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules