Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > New DVD Player icon

New DVD Player icon
Dace
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 01:39 AM

I decided to create an icon to match Max and Rene's iFix.

M & R's version of the buttons:

My version of the buttons:

New Logo design:

Downlod here
( Last edited by Dace; May 16, 2003 at 11:25 PM. )

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 14, 2003, 05:15 AM

That was a little uneccessary since I said we were going to make a new icon for the next update.. but sure..

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by bOOzo:
That was a little uneccessary since I said we were going to make a new icon for the next update.. but sure..
I'm too impatient.

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 10:19 AM

I dunno, I don't like it.

The split in the buttons shouldn't throw off the reflection like that unless that button was getting light from a second source when it was pressed... but it's not.

To me, I'd think the highlight would be consistent across the surface.

Mac Guru

ARENA
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
I dunno, I don't like it.

The split in the buttons shouldn't throw off the reflection like that unless that button was getting light from a second source when it was pressed... but it's not.

To me, I'd think the highlight would be consistent across the surface.

Mac Guru
I don't like it either. Besides what you said, the DVD logo doesn't look good with that combination of bevel and shadow.
I'm sure Max will come up with a better icon.

gthyb
Mac Enthusiast
May 14, 2003, 02:14 PM

the jury is in dace. you suck.

just kidding. cool icon.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 04:07 PM

I like the icon too, I would just lessen the intensity of the highlight along the lower portion of the buttons.

And as someone pointed out, the DVD logo could be tweaked a little.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 10:47 PM

Don't blame me for the cheap lighting on the buttons....I don't like it either, but that's how Max and Rene made the buttons...so blame them. And that's ok Arena, you can wait for Max to create you a better icon....I can see you are the type of person who buys clothes just because of the brand name. I'd rather wait for Apple to finally update DVD Player...hopefully they'll release an update with Mac OS 10.3, one that has dts and dolby digital surround. As for the DVD logo, I made the icon similar to Apple's, they had an ugly beveled logo...I thought I'd make a sunken one, similar to their new sunken buttons.

And that's all I have to say, take it or leave it...I could care less. Don't like it? Fine, make your own or wait for Max''s and Rene's (why does eveyone always just mention and praise Max? Rene had a part in it as well, not attacking you Max, so don't take offense).

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
May 14, 2003, 11:51 PM

New buttons, my version.

mrmister
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 12:30 AM

Rrrrrrowwwwwr!

May 15, 2003, 01:20 AM

All these icons suXX0R...Max's icons suck, Dace's icons suck, xicons.com's suck. In fact, Apple sucks for changing their Aqua interface into a brushed metal plastic piece of crap. What the hell happened to Aqua? It all sucks now. Why the hell did Apple change 10.2? Cause they suck that is why.

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 15, 2003, 01:28 AM

woah fella's you can see all the tiny detail when the icons are in your dock anyways. settle the mother ****ing down.. i think it looks good dace, who cares about bevels and crap, it works

Jansar
Professional Poster
May 15, 2003, 01:35 AM

Originally posted by 970:
All these icons suXX0R...Max's icons suck, Dace's icons suck, xicons.com's suck. In fact, Apple sucks for changing their Aqua interface into a brushed metal plastic piece of crap. What the hell happened to Aqua? It all sucks now. Why the hell did Apple change 10.2? Cause they suck that is why.
Uhm...the world's not going to end. You can go ahead and untie that noose you already set up on your front porch.

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
woah fella's you can see all the tiny detail when the icons are in your dock anyways. settle the mother ****ing down.. i think it looks good dace, who cares about bevels and crap, it works
Amen.

Don't listen to these hypocrites, Dace. Nice work.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 15, 2003, 06:03 AM

Originally posted by Dace:
Don't blame me for the cheap lighting on the buttons....I don't like it either, but that's how Max and Rene made the buttons...so blame them. And that's ok Arena, you can wait for Max to create you a better icon....I can see you are the type of person who buys clothes just because of the brand name. I'd rather wait for Apple to finally update DVD Player...hopefully they'll release an update with Mac OS 10.3, one that has dts and dolby digital surround. As for the DVD logo, I made the icon similar to Apple's, they had an ugly beveled logo...I thought I'd make a sunken one, similar to their new sunken buttons.

And that's all I have to say, take it or leave it...I could care less. Don't like it? Fine, make your own or wait for Max''s and Rene's (why does eveyone always just mention and praise Max? Rene had a part in it as well, not attacking you Max, so don't take offense).
It's true that the lightning is cheap, but you should actually blame Apple for it, because we took it directly from iMovie 3. But I'm going to make an update to the DVD fix, and I'll see if I can improve that button too.

The icon is not bad, although some parts looked a little rushed. I was also thinking about refreshing the current style of the DVD player icon to reflect the changes from the DVD fix.

I love the plastic button/brushed appearance combination, even though it's still evolving.

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 11:31 AM

It's true that the lightning is cheap, but you should actually blame Apple for it, because we took it directly from iMovie 3. But I'm going to make an update to the DVD fix, and I'll see if I can improve that button too.

The icon is not bad, although some parts looked a little rushed. I was also thinking about refreshing the current style of the DVD player icon to reflect the changes from the DVD fix.

I love the plastic button/brushed appearance combination, even though it's still evolving.
Where in iMovie 3 is there a controller similar to DVD Player?

It's funny you should say you love the new plastic button/brushed combo....I remember asking you a while back, before Apple introduced the plastic buttons, if you could create a version of your brushed theme with white plastic buttons instead of the grey iTunes' buttons and you politely declined...didn't even give it a try. I guess I was ahead of time, even before Apple

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 15, 2003, 12:04 PM

It's funny you should say you love the new plastic button/brushed combo....I remember asking you a while back, before Apple introduced the plastic buttons, if you could create a version of your brushed theme with white plastic buttons instead of the grey iTunes' buttons and you politely declined...didn't even give it a try. I guess I was ahead of time, even before Apple
It's located among the resources. I don't use iMovie 3, so I don't know when it's used in the app.

Don't remember that. I decline alot of requests, because theme making is so time consuming and I want to be sure what I'm making is something that I really want to do. But I keep all the suggestions in a folder, and I try to implement as many as I can.

And as I said, the look is still evolving and I think the new look of the button in iTunes 4 is much better than in iMovie 3.

swiz
GUI Punk
May 15, 2003, 12:53 PM

Modest eh?

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

Zimphire
Baninated
May 15, 2003, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by swiz:
Modest eh?
Heh it's funny. I've heard other themers claim that Apple was copying off of them too. hehe

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 16, 2003, 03:22 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Heh it's funny. I've heard other themers claim that Apple was copying off of them too. hehe
That's hilarious.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 16, 2003, 03:46 AM

That's hilarious.
Good news for theme creators - the new extras.rsrc contains new resources for brushed window titlebars! That means that it will be easier to theme the brushed appearance it and make it look good.

A funny thing with the new brushed widgets is that they are probably inspired by my brushed aqua widgets theme They look pretty similar.

I've also noticed that (from 10.1.x to 10.2 I guess) they changed the transparency of menus from 90% to 95%. So I guess they listen to peoples complaints about such things as to much transparency, but don't want to advertise the changes.
Yeah SERIOUSLY HILARIOUS!!!

*snort*

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 16, 2003, 03:57 AM

I knew where you were going. I stand for what I've said.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 16, 2003, 04:02 AM

Ah come on.. I was just joking.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 09:25 AM

hey!

anybody slagging of Max will have to answer to me!!!

LOL

but seriously Max and me found evidence
in the resource of iTunes 4 that they copied
the way we did the shading of the buttons
resource in order to make it look good in the brushed framework. SO!

about the icon... I like it but the curve
of the shading shouldnt be interrupted
but i think is cool anyway that u did try
to contribute

quote from 970:All these icons suXX0R...Max's icons suck, Dace's icons suck
,xicons.com's suck. In fact, Apple sucks for changing their Aqua interface into a brushed metal
plastic piece of crap. What the hell happened to Aqua? It all sucks now. Why the hell did Apple
change 10.2? Cause they suck that is why. end quote)

you sound like u need some serious kind of help,
some therapy for your negativity, if u dont
like apple's or our GUI customization, then
what are u doin here?

Change is good, its what Apple is all about.

(sorry, I am generally not like this but I had to react)
( Last edited by iFix Rene; May 16, 2003 at 09:40 AM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
May 16, 2003, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by iFix Rene:
hey!

but seriously Max and me found evidence
in the resource of iTunes 4 that they copied
the way we did the shading of the buttons
resource in order to make it look good in the brushed framework. SO!
Post the evidence! And who are you?

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 12:09 PM

who am I?

I thought my nick iFix Rene said enough...

try going to
http://homepage.mac.com/littlestar

among others the place to get iFixed

ambush
Banned
May 16, 2003, 12:16 PM

I decided to create an icon to match Max and Rene's iFix.

M & R's version of the buttons:

Downlod here
Hmm.. Not much difference at all.

For me it's not really worth downloading/installing as I never really see that DVD icon in my dock ( auto launches when a dvd mounts, so no need to keep it in the dock, and when a movie is playing, it's fullscreen so I don't see it either)...

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 16, 2003, 12:28 PM

I like your version of the buttons better than Apples. They are more realistic, a remote control wouldn't be flat would it. any chance of a fix for the verious apps that use it

Zimphire
Baninated
May 16, 2003, 12:41 PM

who am I?

I thought my nick iFix Rene said enough...
Obviously not..

try going to
http://homepage.mac.com/littlestar

among others the place to get iFixed
Nice site, first time I have seen it.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 16, 2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
I like your version of the buttons better than Apples. They are more realistic, a remote control wouldn't be flat would it. any chance of a fix for the verious apps that use it
I was thinking the same thing. I think the new buttons on the bottom of iTunes work in the same way. They just look more functional now. ore like push buttons.

May 16, 2003, 01:21 PM

Obviously iFix Rene can't take a joke.

When you start telling people that Apple is ripping you off, you might want to get some help yourself. That and a real hobby besides doing variations of copyrighted artwork.

Max and Rene, it's great you do themes. But in the grand scheme of things, they are marginal at best. Let's not forget that.
( Last edited by 970; May 16, 2003 at 01:27 PM. )

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2003, 06:18 PM

I can take lots of jokes
but your jokes aren't funny
(strange definition of Joke u have)

we are just some guys having fun
and lots of other people enjoy it

I never said 'apple was ripping us off"
I think its great that apple lets us
play and beautify (compare original
sunken brushed +x- to the ones Max
did and tell me they arent nicer)
their copyrighted stuff
and if we can see in the resources that
they picked some idears from us, it makes
me proud. taz all.
it just means that they see the stuff too
and dont mind.

2 years ago every theme that came out
got an apple lawsuit, so times have
changed.

if u hate the new style so much
switch to XP

BTW, do u have anything to show for yourself
besides your great sense of humor?

'nuff said

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2003, 09:10 PM

People who design & customize the system's visual appearance are doing a service to people (like me) who like to change things up and play around with different ideas.
Some of the concepts Max has come up with in the SmoothStripes and Brushed themes have (at least in my mind) even been partially implemented by Apple in newer projects.
Aqua Extreme is simply better than Apple Aqua in 10.2. Just looking at the regular scrolls after using Max's is disturbing!

I wouldn't call it ripping off the source though...

Oh yes, and I'll wait for the iFix Rene + Max icon for DVD player before I comment on the DACE version.

ambush
Banned
May 16, 2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by 970:
Obviously iFix Rene can't take a joke.

When you start telling people that Apple is ripping you off, you might want to get some help yourself. That and a real hobby besides doing variations of copyrighted artwork.

Max and Rene, it's great you do themes. But in the grand scheme of things, they are marginal at best. Let's not forget that.
Who the **** are you to judge people's hobbies?

Dace  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2003, 11:26 PM

New logo design, feel free to comment.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2003, 12:22 AM

and if we can see in the resources that
they picked some idears from us, it makes
me proud. taz all.
it just means that they see the stuff too
and dont mind.
Not so sure if Apple was copying off of Max... said ideas were in the drawing board beforehand.

invisibleX
Mac Elite
May 17, 2003, 09:56 AM

There is a key difference from Apple not paying any attention to you and Apple condoning what you're doing. If you think that Apple will idly sit by while you contort with their GUI you are sadly mistaken.

I agree with 970. What you do is a marginal part of the theme scene and in the greater world of design its absolutely boring. Only one of your themes is original design (Milk). Every other one is either a port or disturbingly similar to other work. This is not to say there is no place for your work or that I don't like your themes.
-"I don't believe in God. "
"That doesn't matter. He believes in you."

-"I'm not agnostic. Just nonpartisan. Theological Switzerland, that's me."

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2003, 12:34 PM

u obviously have never made a theme yourself

Anyway, all the fuzz
we just want to have fun, people enjoy it
apple condones it and gets inspired, we
get inspired, we have fun, people enjoy it
...then agree with 970, I do not agree with
that negativity. Show us somethin original
u or he did, then talk.
check out my icons, all originals.
This iFix stuff is just for fun, people enjoy it
etc etc

Apple and condoning:
no matter what u say, I am not going to
debate that anymore, I know the score,
I used to work for Apple and I tell you
it's pretty special that we can do so much

'nuff said!

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2003, 12:45 PM

apple condones it and gets inspired,
How pretentious.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 17, 2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Not so sure if Apple was copying off of Max... said ideas were in the drawing board beforehand.
And you would know this how?
I took the idea of having objects sunken into the metal and applied it to the traffic buttons, and they obvously thought it was a good ida and made their own buttons. I never said they copied anything, I said I inspired them.

What you do is a marginal part of the theme scene and in the greater world of design its absolutely boring.
Has anyone said that we own the theme scene or something..?
I make themes that I enjoy, if you feel it's unoriginal or boring, I could not care less. A GUI can't be designed to be too flashy, that only distracts the user from the content.

There is a key difference from Apple not paying any attention to you and Apple condoning what you're doing. If you think that Apple will idly sit by while you contort with their GUI you are sadly mistaken.
They have obviously seen the changes we did in some of the iFixes, because they implemented the exact same changes in iTunes 4, and they used the same techinque of handling the resources. They let us do our stuff, so it seems that we are not sadly mistaking at all.

New logo design, feel free to comment.
Best one yet, it looks good.

And I want to correct myself, the navigation is from iDVD and not iMovie.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2003, 03:01 PM

And you would know this how?
I took the idea of having objects sunken into the metal and applied it to the traffic buttons, and they obviously thought it was a good ida and made their own buttons. I never said they copied anything, I said I inspired them.
And you know this how? I am saying, you ASSUMING they were inspired by you was pretentious. And it is if you REALLY think about it Max.

They have obviously seen the changes we did in some of the iFixes, because they implemented the exact same changes in iTunes 4, and they used the same technique of handling the resources.

LOL you took GUI resources Apple made, ones they redid for iMovie etc, and was obviously going to do it for iTunes soon as well, and did it before they did. So you are saying just because you put out something obviously Apple was going to do anyhow, that somehow they got the idea off you? Come on now Max..

They let us do our stuff, so it seems that we are not sadly mistaking at all.
Not just you, but anyone. I made a iTunes skin replacement too. They didn't stop me. That is what we are saying. They aren't stopping ANYONE. Just because they aren't stopping you, doesn't mean they are getting "inspired" by you. As a matter of fact, the 5 people I know that works for Apple has never heard of you, or your work. Most aren't allowed outside stimulus to effect their designs.

I think just maybe, your themeing might just be going to your head Max.

bOOzo
Addicted to Themes
May 17, 2003, 04:46 PM

The iTunes changes might have been obvious, but I still think they have seen my and Renes work. You do know that Apple consist of more than 5 people, right Kevin? And I think they must surf the web like most other.

Why is that you always pop into the GUI forum to get on peoples nerves? The fact is that no one here knows if they have seen the stuff we do, but I still think that they have. And you can't convince me otherwise either.

iFix Rene
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2003, 05:00 PM

yeh yeh , Zimphire....
you know the five people that design
the Aqua GUI... sure!

now who is pretentious?

anyway

u guys design your dvd icons , we do ours
u have your opinion and I have mine
(cant speak for max on that)
and we live happily ever after

this is becoming a typical silly forum row
and I dont have the stamina for it

I am outtahere

Peace!
( Last edited by iFix Rene; May 17, 2003 at 05:08 PM. )

anti-sleep
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2003, 05:30 PM

yeh yeh , Zimphire....
you know the five people that design
the Aqua GUI... sure!

now who is pretentious?
You seem to be digging yourself into a hole here.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 17, 2003, 05:49 PM

only on this board can a topic turn from a new icon to an arguement about apple's design team. how about you all shut up? i dont care who made what first, the damn point is that apple came out with the iMovie buttons before you came out with the iTunes iFix. so therefor, you can not say that apple was inspired by your iFix, since they were going to do it anyway. the onlything you can say you did was "inspire" them to but sunken widgets into brushed metal apps, but not even you know if they weren't going to do it first. lets lose the ego people, mmk?

nice icon dace, i think i might start using it

Zimphire
Baninated
May 17, 2003, 08:37 PM

The iTunes changes might have been obvious, but I still think they have seen my and Renes work. You do know that Apple consist of more than 5 people, right Kevin? And I think they must surf the web like most other.
Of course I know that. I never even came close to saying otherwise Max. Why even mention it?

Why is that you always pop into the GUI forum to get on peoples nerves? The fact is that no one here knows if they have seen the stuff we do, but I still think that they have. And you can't convince me otherwise either.
Well you can say you THINK they have, but you were stating that yes, they did. Your graphics you claimed they copied, were obvious changes that were going to happen in the first place.

neoTony
May 18, 2003, 12:10 AM

Interesting aside - apparently at least one of the core aqua designers wanted brushed metal to be the default UI in 10.2...

Lew
Senior User
May 18, 2003, 07:06 AM

I am outtahere

Peace!
Good. Maybe 'u' can get some spelling and grammar lessons and quit with the retarded txt-speak. How difficult is it to type 'you' rather than 'u' anyway

Zimphire
Baninated
May 18, 2003, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by GFive:
Good. Maybe 'u' can get some spelling and grammar lessons and quit with the retarded txt-speak. How difficult is it to type 'you' rather than 'u' anyway
You know those silly Apple employees, Their spelling is horrible. Apple made them type out things that way.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 18, 2003, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by anti-sleep:
You seem to be digging yourself into a hole here.
I don't think Rene knew what pretentious ment when she posted that. Obviously.

Not that it matters. I never said there was only 5 GUI designers that worked for Apple.

I sure hope, if she did work at Apple. Her only job was to answer phones, or be Steve's coffee girl.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 18, 2003, 05:20 PM

Awh man, I want a coffee girl.

Forum Links
Forum Rules