Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Transfer of files from MAC OS Ver 7 to WinXP

Transfer of files from MAC OS Ver 7 to WinXP
hsvgoku
Jul 2, 2003, 11:57 PM

Hi guys,

I need help here. Can we transfer files or folders from an old Mac with OS 7 to a PC with Windows Xp? The connection on the old mac is using a bnc connection.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2003, 12:53 AM

Sure, as long as you can physically connect the computers together. Some hubs still have a BNC connector on them, although BNC isn't that common anymore. You do want to do this with a network since you meantioned the BNC connector, right? If the files aren't that big you might be able to use that 'useless' floppy drive to do the transfer.
If you want to network them, you could use an old version of DAVE. DAVE 1.0 came with a StarMax computer I have, and it shipped with System 7.5. What System does the computer have?

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 01:52 PM

If you want to be able to open the files on the Windows machine, they have to be saved in a format that it can read. Perhaps it was assumed that you knew that.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2003, 09:13 PM

I would transfer the files from the System 7 machine to an OSX mac first, then send them to the Windows machine via SMB.

As far as "opening the files" or saving them in a format windows can "read", that is not relevant. The windows machine will save the files as files; binary, ascii, whatever.

I'm assuming you'll burn them to CD or something as a backup right? Or do you actually need to access/use the files on the XP machine?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Cipher13
Jul 6, 2003, 10:21 AM

What kind of files are these? If the transfer is for temporary storage of Mac files, you'll need to ensure that the files remain untouched my Windows XP. Zip them or something... Windows will destroy the resource fork of the file.

Personally, I'd run an ftp server on the XP box, and then upload the files from the Sys7 machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules