Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Australian Broadband ISP with Mac OS X support

View Poll Results: Do you feel 3rd Party support for the Macintosh is increasing or decreasing
Poll Options:
Yes it is getting much better 0 votes (0%)
It is OK but could be better 0 votes (0%)
It is about the same as it has always been 1 votes (100.00%)
Support Staff "Do you still use them, I did not know they still make them" 0 votes (0%)
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll
Australian Broadband ISP with Mac OS X support
depolitic
Jun 30, 2004, 11:47 PM

I am looking to get a good broadband ADSL provider in Melbourne Australia. I was told to avoid Telstra because their services is really poor, and I contacted Optus only to be told buy a Windows PC or **** off with my stupid Mac because they would not give me support for dumb ass Apples Macintosh computers or any Apple hardware, which is really funny / stupid because up to one year ago, most of Optus staff ran Macintosh computers before they were bought by some Singaporean Telco that has forced a Windows only policy on them.

I know / believe that if I got my own router with DHCP then I would not need any software from Optus, but if they wish to be f-u-c-k-e-r-s then I will take my business some were else.

So does anyone can recommend a Mac friendly broad band ADSL ISP in Australia and Melbourne.

posthumanus
Senior User
Jul 1, 2004, 12:13 AM

i've never had any problem with ozemail: for 30 bucks a month you get broadband WITHOUT any excess fees if you d/L over 300mb

http://homesite.service.ozemail.com....and/priceplans

my first month i d/L'd 2Gb of software updates and streaming stuff like NASA & CNN: the others would've charged me heaps after 300Mb but ozemail (apparently) slows to dial-up speed - hasn't slowed for me yet though

posthumanus

gsxrboy
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 12:59 AM

Westnet, iiNet, Internode, Swiftel etc etc anyone but telstra and optus

www.whirlpool.net.au

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 07:48 AM

Telstra is fine, and are A-OK with Macs. I'm on a 256/128 plan, which gives me 10GB a month (and if I go over, I only get scaled down to 56/128 - no charges for any extra data or any of that junk)

On the site, I think they allude to Macs not being supported for a 4-port router. Ignore that. We had a Telstra guy come to connect us, and he didn't even question the Macs.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by depolitic:
I am looking to get a good broadband ADSL provider in Melbourne Australia. I was told to avoid Telstra because their services is really poor, and I contacted Optus only to be told buy a Windows PC or **** off with my stupid Mac because they would not give me support for dumb ass Apples Macintosh computers or any Apple hardware, which is really funny / stupid because up to one year ago, most of Optus staff ran Macintosh computers before they were bought by some Singaporean Telco that has forced a Windows only policy on them.

I know / believe that if I got my own router with DHCP then I would not need any software from Optus, but if they wish to be f-u-c-k-e-r-s then I will take my business some were else.

So does anyone can recommend a Mac friendly broad band ADSL ISP in Australia and Melbourne.
i in the middle of China, no Mac support at all here, I couldn't even speak to them in my language if they did provide any tech support.

My ADSL works like a dream.

What do you need support for? its pretty much the same on a Mac as a PC.

Forum Links
Forum Rules