Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Unplugging iPhone wakes Mac up!?!

Unplugging iPhone wakes Mac up!?!
mrtew
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2010, 06:55 PM

You've probably noticed that plugging in your iPhone or iPad or iPod to your Mac wakes it up from sleep and so does unplugging it. I've noticed it for about 8 years myself ever since I got my first iPod and it's starting to bug me. I've never once wanted it to wake the computer up and I often feel like I'm taking a bone away from a sleeping dog: I always hope if I do it quickly and quietly enough I'll be able to get away with it but I never am. Is there some reason that Apple thinks that people would want their computer to wake up just because they're grabbing their iPhone to go to work or is it technically impossible to connect or disconnect an USB device without firing up the whole system for some reason or is Apple just too stupid or lazy to fix it?

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2010, 07:05 PM

I think it's in case of data corruption, OS X needs to unmount the device properly.

You should technically always unmount before unplugging.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 6, 2010, 08:54 PM

Any device change on USB causes the computer to wake up. Probably so the drivers can process whatever the change was. Which might be something new plugged in, or a control button pressed on a USB device.

It may not even know while sleeping if a change is something removed, or something added.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 6, 2010, 10:42 PM

Well I'd like to be able to plug and unplug all kinds of iPhones and other USB stuff while it's asleep and have it figure out what happened when it woke up the next day.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Sep 6, 2010, 11:00 PM

You can't. Believe me, it annoys everyone.

mrtew  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2010, 06:02 AM

At least knowing I'm not alone helps a little. Thanks.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2010, 08:53 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought there were some PC laptops that had specific USB ports designated to provide power even when the lid is closed. Would unplugging an ipod from one of those ports wake it up?

Reader50: I haven't seen a do not disconnect message on an ipod in years. On the contrary, my iphone always says ok to unplug as long as it isn't actively syncing.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

ibook_steve
Sep 7, 2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought there were some PC laptops that had specific USB ports designated to provide power even when the lid is closed. Would unplugging an ipod from one of those ports wake it up?

Reader50: I haven't seen a do not disconnect message on an ipod in years. On the contrary, my iphone always says ok to unplug as long as it isn't actively syncing.
iOS devices can't be mounted to the desktop, whereas classic iPods could. Thus, you won't see do not disconnect unless you are using a non-iOS device and you've selected to have it mount to the desktop as a removable disk.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

SSharon
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2010, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
iOS devices can't be mounted to the desktop, whereas classic iPods could. Thus, you won't see do not disconnect unless you are using a non-iOS device and you've selected to have it mount to the desktop as a removable disk.

Steve
Ahh, right, disk mode. But isn't that an argument as for why unplugging a newer ipod shouldn't wake up the computer? Since it isn't mounted as a traditional external USB storage device.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2010, 05:58 PM

I don't think it has anything to do with whether the device mounts as storage or not. Any time you disconnect anything from a USB port it's probable that the computer will wake up because of it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ibook_steve
Sep 7, 2010, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with whether the device mounts as storage or not. Any time you disconnect anything from a USB port it's probable that the computer will wake up because of it.
+1

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

DarkStarRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2010, 04:34 AM

Didn't Apple sell a USB to Firewire adapter which does solve this problem.
I know some use this but that's going back a couple of years ago but should be compatible with today's devices.

ChrisF
Senior User
Sep 12, 2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by DarkStarRed View Post
Didn't Apple sell a USB to Firewire adapter which does solve this problem.
I know some use this but that's going back a couple of years ago but should be compatible with today's devices.
Nope, nothing of the sort, and no recent iPod or iPhone will charge or sync via firewire anyway.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2010, 04:35 PM

This happens with every USB device I own...printer, mouse, iPod, headset, usb to fiber optic converter, etc. Annoying but not a huge issue. It'd be nice if someone would come up with a preference pane that gives us some configurability (e.g. I don't mind my Mac waking up when I hit a key on the keyboard or more the mouse).
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Forum Links
Forum Rules