Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > buy now or wait till august?

buy now or wait till august?
phsum07
Baninated
Jun 10, 2006, 10:46 PM

so i've decided i'm getting a 13" macbook.
i'll be using it for school starting in september, but also for my own stuff obviously
i can wait till august to order it, i have my pc right now and its fine.
but i really cant wait to get my macbook.

my question is, is there any point in waiting until august, or can i just go ahead and get it now?

i know theres not gonna be any hardware or price changes in the next two months,
the main factors im considering in waiting are perhaps the student back to school deals (im in canada and the nano thing does not apply)
but mainly just a later revision of the macbook in which some issues and bugs are cleared up. any chance that may happen?

im switching over from windows to mac and i cant wait to get it going.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2006, 10:49 PM

I wouldn't be on there being no changes between now and August. Apple has already speedbumped the MacBook Pro several times since it was announced in January. If you can hold out, I say hold out.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
I wouldn't be on there being no changes between now and August. Apple has already speedbumped the MacBook Pro several times since it was announced in January. If you can hold out, I say hold out.
Apple will implement corrections in software and firmware as necessary and not always with hoopla.
We have an iMac Duo since January and the updates keep coming and improving. These trully are dream machines and we're running XP Pro on Parallel (when needed for some games for my daughter and contract business stuff for me)
Apple has covered the bases pretty well across the board.
There will always be hardware improvements coming down the road, but if you need it now, buy it now; the pleasure and use you get now will far offset waiting for the next best thing.
Just read some of the posts here what others are enjoying.
Welcome to Apple envy....

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2006, 02:10 AM

I expect we'll see one price drop or speed bump in the next couple months, howver it will probably be small and may not come until September.

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 09:21 AM

Just because the new core duo 2 chips will be out by then is not a 100% guarentee that the new Macbooks get released right away. Realistically it could easily be October or November....Apple likes to leave at least 6 months between hardware releases, so they moght hold out some.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by mduell
I expect we'll see one price drop or speed bump in the next couple months, howver it will probably be small and may not come until September.
Very doubtful. The current iMacs are 5 months old, and are yet to have a revision. There is no reason for Apple to upgrade the MacBooks so soon. I really can't see a MB revision until at least October/November time.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 02:35 PM

well intel said july for new cpus and out on the market there for apple must have something up there sleeves. If you and me know about the new intel chips I am sure apple new about it way before us and knows all the new chips for the next few years.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 05:22 PM

I would get it now... I guess we won't see any change on the MacBook before October at best...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2006, 05:35 PM

Never purchase the first iteration of a redesigned Apple product. Apple uses it's first adopter customers as beta-testers.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 11, 2006, 05:40 PM

Even if Apple were to go upgrade crazy, the most that would happen to the MacBook would probably be a Core 2 Duo processor (64-bit instead of 32-bit), probably 2GHz on the low end, maybe 2.16GHz on the high.

I doubt that the RAM, hard drive or graphics will change, so unless that 64-bitness is all important, I'd buy a MacBook now.

Oh, wait, that's what I did! I'm also starting university in September and figured it would be better to break a new machine in long before starting my studies, rather than having to deal with that whilst starting a whole new life. Having the MacBook all set up how I like it, reliable like, will mean I can just do my work on it without having to think about the machine itself.

That applies even more so to yourself. I was going from a desktop back to a laptop, so my only major concerns were hardware related. For yourself, you'll appreciate having time to settle into the operating system without any other concerns.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

simon966
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 05:50 PM

I don't see the MacBooks being upgraded as often as their Pro ancestors. Simply because the Pro's have a socketed motherboard makes it easy for Apple to change things as often as they'd like (which is good since the Pro's are marketed to the folks who want the latest and greatest and have the money to buy it!). The MacBook's do not have socketed motherboards, so I wouldn't anticipate them getting an upgrade until next year. For those folks that want something with the latest and greatest processor, they will have to go Pro. There may be a price drop, hard drive change (I'd like to see them go at least 80gb across the board), or additional memory, but I feel sure the speeds will stay the same.

Just my $0.02.

masugu
Senior User
Jun 11, 2006, 07:09 PM

I just bought my BlacBook last week. I wanted to wait...but got too impatient. I think I will hold on to this Book - unless they somehow inro a MacBook Pro in Black - at 13". I so doubt this will happen. I will be a little cheezed if they really improve the MB in the Holiday season...but I do think the Hardware improvements will be minimal. I am loving this thing so far.
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
Very doubtful. The current iMacs are 5 months old, and are yet to have a revision. There is no reason for Apple to upgrade the MacBooks so soon. I really can't see a MB revision until at least October/November time.
Meanwhile the MacBook Pro has had two upgrades (or price drops, depending on how you prefer to look at it) in the last 5 months. I think the MacBook will have 1 in its first few months.

Originally Posted by yoyoman
well intel said july for new cpus and out on the market there for apple must have something up there sleeves.
Intel said, and still says, it will be August when the new mobile CPUs are released. Given that they're drop-in replacements, it shouldn't take Apple long to pick them up.

Originally Posted by bdwilso2
I don't see the MacBooks being upgraded as often as their Pro ancestors. Simply because the Pro's have a socketed motherboard makes it easy for Apple to change things as often as they'd like (which is good since the Pro's are marketed to the folks who want the latest and greatest and have the money to buy it!). The MacBook's do not have socketed motherboards, so I wouldn't anticipate them getting an upgrade until next year.
The MacBook Pro has a soldered, not socketed, CPU; as mentioned above, it has already seen two upgrades in 5 months.

sieb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2006, 09:13 PM

I see the Core 2 Duo showing up in the Mac Pro desktop first, then after its out, the Core2Duo will filter down through the ranks of the laptops starting with the Pro (sometime after the beginning of next year). Albeit, the Duo chips are drop in replaceable (from a manufacturing standpoint), I don't see them putting them in all of their laptops overnight. If Apple were that concerned about the 2Duo, they would have waited and skipped the Core Duo. From what I have been able to gather, there is only a 2-20% performance improvement between the two chips, nothing to worry about, unless you really need 64bit for some reason. And even in that case, OSX isn't full 64bit yet.

Personally, I plan on buying a MBP next week and worry about the Core 2 Duo until 10.5 comes out.
Sieb
Blackbook
(2Ghz, 2GB, 100Gig, week 21)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by sieb
I see the Core 2 Duo showing up in the Mac Pro desktop first, then after its out, the Core2Duo will filter down through the ranks of the laptops starting with the Pro (sometime after the beginning of next year). Albeit, the Duo chips are drop in replaceable (from a manufacturing standpoint), I don't see them putting them in all of their laptops overnight. If Apple were that concerned about the 2Duo, they would have waited and skipped the Core Duo. From what I have been able to gather, there is only a 2-20% performance improvement between the two chips, nothing to worry about, unless you really need 64bit for some reason. And even in that case, OSX isn't full 64bit yet.
There is no way Apple is going to wait until next year to put Core 2 Duo in their laptops, espically the MacBook Pro. You're looking at a "free" (in terms of heat/power and logic board) upgrade of 20-30% in performance, and the competition will have it available as soon as it's launched in August.
For Apple there's no sense in skipping Core Duo to wait for Core 2 Duo.

phsum07  (op)
Baninated
Jun 12, 2006, 12:07 AM

thanks for all the advice guys,
i think i'm gonna go ahead and buy mine sometimes in the next few weeks

HouseSold
Senior User
Jun 12, 2006, 01:15 AM

There is no way Apple is going to wait until next year to put Core 2 Duo in their laptops, espically the MacBook Pro. You're looking at a "free" (in terms of heat/power and logic board) upgrade of 20-30% in performance, and the competition will have it available as soon as it's launched in August.
For Apple there's no sense in skipping Core Duo to wait for Core 2 Duo.
Was told that Intel is shipping 2.32 ghz Duos to OEMs already.

This will remain a thrilling year and just wait for the 'one more thing' at MacWorld SF January 2007.

That may be the Xmas for many of the Apple throng; Steve will not disappoint, as always.

The bar has been raised; notice the price drops of the other than Apple Duo or Solo laptops lately.

ie: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....&ref=10&loc=01

simon966
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 10:20 AM

The MacBook Pro has a soldered, not socketed, CPU; as mentioned above, it has already seen two upgrades in 5 months.
Doh, I stand corrected. I must be thinking about the iMac & Mini.

Dr.Michael
Jun 12, 2006, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by adil
the main factors im considering in waiting are perhaps the student back to school deals (im in canada and the nano thing does not apply)
The answers are the usual buy rev a or wait for reb b thing. Discussed a lot before.
But the back to school deals are a very good reason to wait. So why do you ask? Might get you a free iPod - nobrainer, isn't it? And your Pa will be proud because you are smart.

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2006, 12:05 PM

Technically, for this point, its only one 'upgrade', as the 1.67 Ghz MacBooks were never actually put into production
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2006, 09:24 PM

For the OP... I doubt there'll be additional specials or upgrades from Apple itself. And I don't think Leopard is supposed to come out till 07, so that's another reason not to wait.
But you might want to check with your school's bookstore or computer store to see if they'll be offering some kind of back to school deal in the fall. At the university where I used to teach, the bookstore usually offered some kind of fall term special, like a bundled iPod or free applecare or just a $200 price break.

As suggested above, if you're switching from Windows, it's probably a good idea to give yourself a few days to get used to the MacOS, assuming you'll be using it and not BootCamping.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2006, 10:15 PM

Oh, and if you have to ask "should I buy now, or wait?", you should always wait. No matter when you purchase, something better will always arrive within 6-12 months.

My suggestion, buy what you need when you need it and don't fret about upgraded products until what you bought no longer suits your needs.

rhashem
Forum Regular
Jun 14, 2006, 10:32 PM

The per-clock difference in SpecInt between the Core Duo and Core Duo 2 is about 25% at the same clockspeed. It's significant, but not huge. The Core Duo 2 won't clock any faster than the Core Duo 1 on laptops, topping out at 2.33 GHz, so that's the extent of the performance improvement. The difference is larger on desktops, where Woodcrest will clock to 3.0 GHz and up.

yugyug
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 15, 2006, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak
Never purchase the first iteration of a redesigned Apple product. Apple uses it's first adopter customers as beta-testers.
pfft. I'm typing this on a 1st gen tibook, the best computer I have ever owned, five years and running 95% strong. 1st gen can be great because they precede the component cost cutting that revisions see. I'll be buying a Macbook or a MBP in September.
ππ>_<ππ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2006, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by rhashem
The Core Duo 2 won't clock any faster than the Core Duo 1 on laptops, topping out at 2.33 GHz, so that's the extent of the performance improvement.
Just to clarify, that's at launch; Merom certainly should clock higher before Penryn is released (in about August of next year).

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 07:37 PM

i think the best question is to "buy now or wait til Jan 07" i mean, that's when the recent rumor sites (based on wallstreet analysts) say that there is going to be a tablet or ultraportable mac. Wait, no, the bestest question is to "buy now or wait til Jan 08." because by then, new battery technology will be out and the flexible lcd will make it easier to cram the macbook super-duper-pro into an already stuffed briefcase.

while the first part of my post is true, it's mostly to be sarcasm. Yes, things will get better when you wait, especially with the switch over to intel processors. Since i doubt that the actual casing will change that frequently, I bet the revision letters will get up to J or K, easily. I mean, people are already talking about the revision D macbook pro, with all the "silent" improvements to the logic board and stuff.

so my advice is to either

1. wait by the calendar and stare at it forever because you'll always be waiting for the next MWSF

or

2. figure out what you want in a laptop, and see if the macbook (pro or not) meets your current needs, and then buy it without scouting the forums for more rumors for the next couple weeks
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

masugu
Senior User
Jun 15, 2006, 08:19 PM

Ohhhh you make it sound so easy ;-)
masugu - "Straight Ahead"
BlacBook Core Duo / Original Intel-based MB - DIY Core i7 PC |

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 15, 2006, 08:56 PM

Generally I wouldn't expect to see a refresh in the macbook line in August. The desktop line may be released, the MBP may get a speed bump but I think the MB will stay pat.

If your needs are immediate, then buy one now, if you can wait a couple of months wait, but remember there will always be a faster computer being released down the road.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 12:44 AM

If you can wait, you should wait. Not to say that you will have the same experience, but I've gotten burned on two Rev A machines before (the original blue and white G3 had all sorts of weird issues, and the first aluminum 15" powerbook had the white spots problem, which was minor really). It's so tempting for me though, I'd really just like to get the black one right now. heheh. I want to see how well the few PC apps I need will run...

For those of you who are cashing in on the iPod promo, I'd also say, wait perhaps until near the end of the promo (sept 16th). I picked up a powerbook a few years ago when the same promotion was being run, got a free iPod mini, but then, lo and behold, about two weeks later the nano came out! I was just barely able to scramble back to do a refund at the local Apple store on the next to last day, if I recall. But I was a happy camper...picked up the nano and enjoyed it.

It's always nice to get the latest and greatest when you can, it's blissful, and it's ALWAYS the worst feeling of buying something, and then having the next rev come out only a few weeks later. That feeling that you got the shaft just doesn't wear away very easily.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 17, 2006, 12:47 AM

This's a valid reason to buy ahead, if you must. Is this your first undergrad degree or master's?

That's enough stress there than to worry about trying to get windows working on the fly (if you need that capability). Otherwise it should be a cinch getting it to work out of the box, outside of whether or not you're used to using a mac before.

Originally Posted by megasad

Oh, wait, that's what I did! I'm also starting university in September and figured it would be better to break a new machine in long before starting my studies, rather than having to deal with that whilst starting a whole new life. Having the MacBook all set up how I like it, reliable like, will mean I can just do my work on it without having to think about the machine itself.

That applies even more so to yourself. I was going from a desktop back to a laptop, so my only major concerns were hardware related. For yourself, you'll appreciate having time to settle into the operating system without any other concerns.

ael719
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2006, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried
If you can wait, you should wait. Not to say that you will have the same experience, but I've gotten burned on two Rev A machines before (the original blue and white G3 had all sorts of weird issues, and the first aluminum 15" powerbook had the white spots problem, which was minor really). It's so tempting for me though, I'd really just like to get the black one right now. heheh. I want to see how well the few PC apps I need will run...

For those of you who are cashing in on the iPod promo, I'd also say, wait perhaps until near the end of the promo (sept 16th). I picked up a powerbook a few years ago when the same promotion was being run, got a free iPod mini, but then, lo and behold, about two weeks later the nano came out! I was just barely able to scramble back to do a refund at the local Apple store on the next to last day, if I recall. But I was a happy camper...picked up the nano and enjoyed it.

It's always nice to get the latest and greatest when you can, it's blissful, and it's ALWAYS the worst feeling of buying something, and then having the next rev come out only a few weeks later. That feeling that you got the shaft just doesn't wear away very easily.
I agree with you 100%. Right now I'm 95% happy with my MacBook. The only way for me to achieve the other 5% is for any major hardware changes to the MacBook and 6g iPod to come out after September 16. If anything does change, especially the iPod, there will always be that feeling of "what if" and regret.

If a Rev. B MacBook comes out, I won't care too much, because I don't have any problems with the minor mooing. Plus Apple just released a new U2 iPod 5g, which I interpret as the iPod video is here to stay at least until 2007.

Basically I want my computer to stay "top of the line" till next semester so I can show it off to my friends and know that nobody can top me... yet.
Retired: Dell Dimension 8200
Current: MacBook Black
Future: iMac or MacPro

bembol
Jun 17, 2006, 06:33 PM

I'm also thinking of picking up a MacBook...!!!

What's bothering me is the...Apple Care...$229 CAN after Student Discount...not a fan of these but for some reason I think I should pick it up

The Mac Mini (PPC) and recently picked up the 20" Inter Core Duo iMac...both we passed on the Apple Care

Who picked it up...why or why not...??? Thanks

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2006, 03:34 AM

Intel said, and still says, it will be August when the new mobile CPUs are released. Given that they're drop-in replacements, it shouldn't take Apple long to pick them up.
Yeah, that's true. But while Merom will probably immediately go into the MBP, the MB could keep Yonah for another couple of months.

danibo77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2006, 05:36 AM

I own a rev.A iMac G5... it has been 3 times to applecare and back, still sounding like an airoplane during takeoff... on it's way back again now..

I'm holding for the rev.B macbook, coming...let's say in august

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2006, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by danibo77
I'm holding for the rev.B macbook, coming...let's say in august
I'm expecting a rev B MBP with Merom no later than September. August is certainly the earliest possibility though.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006, 03:27 AM

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2006, 03:28 AM

26 June

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 04:04 AM

I finally caved in on a whim.

When nothing else is going right in your life, you might as well go shopping!!!

Originally Posted by bembol
I'm also thinking of picking up a MacBook...!!!

What's bothering me is the...Apple Care...$229 CAN after Student Discount...not a fan of these but for some reason I think I should pick it up

The Mac Mini (PPC) and recently picked up the 20" Inter Core Duo iMac...both we passed on the Apple Care

Who picked it up...why or why not...??? Thanks

PBG4 User
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by kentuckyfried
I finally caved in on a whim.

When nothing else is going right in your life, you might as well go shopping!!!

Join the club! I picked up a base model MacBook 2 days ago. So far everything's working great!
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by yoyoman
26 June
That would be the release date of Woodcrest, aka Xeon 51xx. You can rest assured that that beast will never find its way into a MB.

Merom, aka Core 2 Duo T5xxx/7xxx won't be here till August. Do not expect a MBP (or even a MB for that matter) before that date.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 22, 2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by PBG4 User
Join the club! I picked up a base model MacBook 2 days ago. So far everything's working great!
Thanks.

Now if I can just find a working version of WinXP + SP2...

kobi
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2006, 12:14 PM

I'm waiting until Aug. There might be an upgrade.

tavin64
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 05:35 PM

The biggest difference between the current core duos and memron based core duos will be power consumption and 64bit support. The new memrons will have about 25% better battery life than the current core duos in the MB and MBP. Also core 2 duos will not make it to the new mac pros as they do not support multi cpu configurations. The new conroe based Xeon cpus is what will be in the mac pros. Also since intel will be phasing out the current core duos when memron comes out in august apple will have no choice but to make a new revision for the entire line.

darth-vader000
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by tavin64
The biggest difference between the current core duos and memron based core duos will be power consumption and 64bit support.
With today's apps will 64bit really make a difference? I have a G5 and its great its also 64bit. I'm not sure running photoshop, aperture and other apps I really notice anyhting that I could pin down and say man this 64 bit processor is the bomb. So far current intel macs (that are 32bit) are surpassing it in many of the benchmarks,

tavin64
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2006, 06:27 PM

well considering apple will have have to rewrite some of the osx code to support x86-64 I dont think at first it will matter at all. Plus developers will have to start releasing 64bit versions of their products which they havent been doing for windows xp 64bit it will probably not matter at all. The two most important things about memron will be greater battery life with increased performance over the current core duos.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2006, 07:48 PM

The biggest difference between the current core duos and memron based core duos will be power consumption and 64bit support. The new memrons will have about 25% better battery life than the current core duos in the MB and MBP. Also core 2 duos will not make it to the new mac pros as they do not support multi cpu configurations. The new conroe based Xeon cpus is what will be in the mac pros. Also since intel will be phasing out the current core duos when memron comes out in august apple will have no choice but to make a new revision for the entire line.
well considering apple will have have to rewrite some of the osx code to support x86-64 I dont think at first it will matter at all. Plus developers will have to start releasing 64bit versions of their products which they havent been doing for windows xp 64bit it will probably not matter at all. The two most important things about memron will be greater battery life with increased performance over the current core duos.
Complete nonsense w/r/t battery life. Intel has stated several times that the power consumption will not change for the Yonah->Merom upgrade; performance (per clock) is up 20-30%.

As the other poster remarked, the performance advantage of 64-bit is generally small... a few apps will see a significant boost, but the majority won't change.

Forum Links
Forum Rules