Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Watching American Idol This Season?

Watching American Idol This Season?
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2005, 09:43 PM

It's on right now and I must say that the "auditions" of some of these people are mind staggering, bone chilling, mentally numbing fiascos.

It's really quite amazing.

Then again, some of these people are truly gifted singers who deserve a shot.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 09:44 PM

i watch the first weeks of auditions, and then give up. it is so hard for me to watch some of these people sing on tv.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 10:25 PM

I just can't believe that some of the people are serious. Yes, there are some that are ok and but definitely not good enough for this crap. But there are some that truly suck. Do you think they do it just to get on tv?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
I just can't believe that some of the people are serious. Yes, there are some that are ok and but definitely not good enough for this crap. But there are some that truly suck. Do you think they do it just to get on tv?
i have to believe that some of the bad ones aren't serious. i think fox pays some of them to do it.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

demograph68
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 10:35 PM

That show sucks. It's marketed crap straight from the assembly line, only it's the process of rejection that is the core importance.

songoku912
Forum Regular
Jan 18, 2005, 10:40 PM

These first few episodes, yup.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 11:00 PM

I put it on just in time to see a girl in red with multiple personalities get cut and flip out. That's enough for me. It pains me to see how pathetic some of these people are.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 11:03 PM

I watched the first three seasons, but I've given up. The voting audience and I rarely agree on who should advance, so I've decided not to waste my time with it anymore. Latoya being voted off was the last straw.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2005, 11:06 PM

It's the best comedy on TV right now.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2005, 11:09 PM

5.9% !!!!!

!
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2005, 11:13 PM

I only watch it during the auditions. After I loose interest as you get to see them molded in genric pop icons.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2005, 11:59 PM

i hardly watch tv so i don't hear about the early auditions and then when i do hear about the show it is for the first episode, and i can't watch it because of the, as dlefebvre so aptly put it, "molded in genric pop icons"

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 07:50 AM

I wasn't sure the guy that was in the band was going to make it. His audition was weak. But, I'm glad he made it.

Ditto for the mother who had to pawn her wedding rings to get $200 to pay for the trip to the audition...then got on.

Lastly, multiple personality girl was REALLY scary.

"Do those voices talk to you?"

"Yes."

"What are they telling you now?"

"Well, you're (Simon) a bit smaller than I thought. You're (Paula) than I thought. Mark is a hotty. You're (Randy) thinner than I thought. Well, I'm NOT going to cry about this, no I'm not."

She walks out...crying.

And says angrily, "I'm NOT losing. I am NOT going to lose. I have a lot of voices to sing with."

And proceeds to sing in a MAN'S voice.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2005, 09:15 AM

Yeah Cody, that girl you're talking about with the multiple voices, seemed a little staged to me. I never know what to think. As a musician myself, I like to watch the potential dreams of some of these folks from hard lives come to fruition, but AMERICAN IDOL??? I mean, were the last two winners really what you'd call idols? How about the winners before that, are they even still recording? I think the show can ruin as many careers as it starts. I also think the name of the show should be changed from AMERICAN IDOL to R&B/HIPHOP IDOL. Unfortunately, I do continue to watch out of twisted curiosity. You know, something to do until AMAZING RACE comes on. Now that's a good show!!!
ebuddy

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 09:21 AM

Every one of the winners as far as I know is still recording, as are some of the 2nd and 3rd place winners too.

That Mary chick was Scytzo... I watch it from beginning to end, I didn't miss an episode last season. I dunno, I just like watching the process.

I couldn't believe some of the people that made it as far as they did last year. UGH!

Mac Guru

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Every one of the winners as far as I know is still recording, as are some of the 2nd and 3rd place winners too.
Season 1: Kelly Clarkson (2 albums), Justin Guarini, Tamyra Gray
Season 2: Ruben Studdard (2), Clay Aiken (2), Kimberley Locke
Season 3: Fantasia, Diana DeGarmo

There are even more albums, but some of them really shouldn't be mentioned.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
It's the best comedy on TV right now.
until chappelle's show comes back for season 3....i'm rick james bitch

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

misc
Jan 19, 2005, 09:02 PM

It was enjoyable. A good way to burn a few hours. The chick with the voices gave me a chuckle.

It's back on. I need to go make some tea and settle down.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2005, 09:10 PM

Until someone breaks out a guitar and starts playing like Pete Townshend, I'll never watch that show.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2005, 09:13 PM

Actually, the rock band guy from last night (whom I think is CUTE) could jam with Townsend, olePigeon.

It's on again tonight.

That guy that sang that last night for about 1 minute straight? He's going to be up there with William "She Bang, She Bang," Hung.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2005, 11:41 PM

I believe the whole Idol concept is an affront to musicians and the music industry. And if you think that the audience 'votes' are actually taken into account think again. The producers choose the contestants that they think will be the most controversial and therefore boost ratings.

And if you get the chance watch some of the international idols - you'll see the exact same formula used in each of the countries - right down to the type of contestant.

I am so glad I have cable tv - the choice means I rarely see crap programmes.
this sig intentionally left blank

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
I believe the whole Idol concept is an affront to musicians and the music industry. And if you think that the audience 'votes' are actually taken into account think again. The producers choose the contestants that they think will be the most controversial and therefore boost ratings.

And if you get the chance watch some of the international idols - you'll see the exact same formula used in each of the countries - right down to the type of contestant.

I am so glad I have cable tv - the choice means I rarely see crap programmes.
I don't know- I'm still not convinced on that... There have been good people voted off by popularity. I know I'm probably being naive. But I don't think it's ALL fixed. Some yes. The products of this show- I honestly couldn't care less about. (Perhaps Ruben)

simonjames
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 12:38 AM

Sorry - I should have added that I know one of the judges and one of the producers of the Australian series and they have spilled the beans - it is all done to a set formula.

I also feel sorry for the contestants as they (even the winners) all get chewed up and spat out by the marketing machine. For example - In Australia all of the winners of previous series of PopStars are heard of for about 18 months and then relegated to oblivion as the marketing machine get behind the latest and greatest where they make money out of the text/sms votes and CD sales. And I am guessing this is the same the world over.

I would hate to be a struggling real musician in this world of engineered formula pop.
this sig intentionally left blank

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2005, 01:07 AM

of course it marketing, its TV, perhaps you noticed the coke glasses..... Thats why no one cares about anything right now except for the BAD auditions. I watched it tonight for the 1st time in a LONG time and only saw 1 contestant make it, & yet 32 of them did. mmmmm....

other than that, Simon owns these peoples soul. Every album they make is for him, not for their sake. I only hope they can capitalize on it a little for themselves.

This show empowers the music industry to where they make america (& the world) say that you can't make it without the industry backing, like a Britney or Clay. Well I would much rather sell 10,000 CDs and make $100,000 than sell 500,000 CDs and be in debt to the record industry. Thats the sad truth with 99% of the bands out there that you think have made it. Well, they havent.

Indie is the only way anymore can really make money in this industry anymore.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 01:10 AM

I only watch the beginning when the William Hung's audition. Once they get good it gets bad.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 01:21 AM

Originally posted by dlefebvre:
After I loose interest

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 20, 2005, 01:28 AM

The daughter of a woman I work with made it to the finals (or whatever it is they make it "to") tonight. They held some auditions in Saginaw, MI recently.

I didn't watch It I was busy watching Lost. Lost was kind of boring tonight. Just seemed like character development is all.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2005, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
tin pot, garden shed

Forum Links
Forum Rules