Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Apple Bootcamp 1.2b Released

Apple Bootcamp 1.2b Released
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2007, 04:59 PM

Apple - Boot Camp

Boot Camp 1.2 beta contains several updates and is intended for all new and previous Boot Camp beta users.

Boot Camp 1.2 beta includes:

Support for Windows Vista (32-bit)
Updated drivers, including but not limited to trackpad, AppleTime (synch), audio, graphics, modem, iSight camera
Support the Apple Remote (works with iTunes and Windows Media Player)
A Windows system tray icon for easy access to Boot Camp information and actions
Improved keyboard support for Korean, Chinese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, and French Canadian
Improved Windows driver installation experience
Updated documentation and Boot Camp on-line help in Windows
Apple Software Update (for Windows XP and Vista)
Updating to Boot Camp 1.2 beta

If you previously installed Boot Camp beta, you can easily update to Boot Camp 1.2 beta. You don't need to partition your hard drive again (unless you want to change its size) or reinstall your Macintosh and Windows software or documents, but it's very important to update the Boot Camp Assistant software, create a new Mac Drivers CD and install the updated software it contains onto Windows. Complete instructions are provided in the Installation and Setup Guide included with the Boot Camp 1.2 beta software.

REQUIREMENTS
Mac OS X 10.4.6 or later, Intel-based Mac, blank recordable CD, purchased copy of Microsoft Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Home or Professional (No multi-disc, upgrade or Media Center versions.)

Let's see how smooth this one is shall we?

Krypton
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 05:10 PM

Does anyone know if Parallels still works with this update?

DuckRacer1
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2007, 05:22 PM

Digg link to get the word out:

Digg - Apple Boot Camp 1.2b Released

Surprisingly, the update isn't shown on Apple's website...

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2007, 05:29 PM

I just downloaded BootCamp 1.2b from Apple and burned a new drivers CD to update my existing XP Pro SP2 installation.

At first glance, the installer is much nicer and more professional (less like a beta). Has an elegant applications ruler and paint brush in the background. Pleasantly, only the ATi Driver required my input to OK -- so it appears Apple has gotten most of these drivers signed by Microsoft.

The new integrated Help feature is now the old keyboard icon in the task tray. When you click on it you'll get two options; About Boot Camp and Boot Camp Help.

Everything appears to be operating smoothly post-update and the Windows Device Manager doesn't have any angry yellow exclamation points either.

Double thumbs up Apple! Can't wait for the final version!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 05:44 PM

Took forever to install Vista (1.83 GHz Mac mini). Does look nicer though. Closer to Leopard updates.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2007, 06:28 PM

Major w00tage. I need to reinstall Vista tonight, so I'll be testing this out along with it. Sounds like it's been mostly problem-free, thankfully.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

plamparello
Mar 28, 2007, 08:54 PM

Does anyone have the status on the ability to right click in vista either by control click or the two finger click macbook trackpads have?
plamparello

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 01:59 AM

Vista works great. However with the new Bootcamp drivers I have a whole new Issue. I can connect to my Airport Basestation Extreme (version with support for airdisk) fine under Vista, however it won't let me see the network properly or get an IP, only I can ping the router. My friend with the same Airport is claiming the same problem, connected to the airport, but no internet. I've done lots of tests, but it really seems to be some weird bug with the new bootcamp drivers.

Anyone else confirm?

inkhead
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 02:00 AM

This feature works just great, just install the new bootcamp drivers.

Originally Posted by plamparello View Post
Does anyone have the status on the ability to right click in vista either by control click or the two finger click macbook trackpads have?

urzsite
Mar 29, 2007, 02:08 AM

Oh noes!

This happens when I upgrade my 1.1.2 Bootcamp to 1.2, and try to start Boot Camp Assistant:
"The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition" - then it advises me to use diskutility to reformat my harddrive to a single drive. QUIT (thats the only button that shows!)

Which means I am not able to extract the damn drivers to update my windows!!

Or is there any other way to get the updated drivers ? :-/
Macbook Pro C2D / ACD 23" / Nikon D80 + 18-200DX VR = Having fun!

urzsite
Mar 29, 2007, 02:19 AM

"when installing Windows drivers via the Boot Camp Assistant 1.2, you can click Utility> Save Macintosh Drivers to Folder" - and then Zip them perhaps.

If anyone could upload the drivers to a webpage, then I would be a million times thankful !

I hope there is a kind soul out there, who can help.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2007, 07:03 AM

Well, I got a BSOD the first time around during driver installation.... The second time went fine Now everything is up and running just peachy

This was on a 20" iMac CD 2.0Ghz 1.5 GB RAM, 128MB x1600.

mfbernstein
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 01:03 PM

To get the new drivers without running the assissant, you can right click the "Boot Camp Assistant" app in the Finder, select "Show Package Contents", and navigate to Contents and then Resources. DiskImage.dmg contains the new drivers, and can burned to a CD via Apple's Disk Utility.

urzsite
Mar 29, 2007, 04:10 PM

Mbernstein, thanks for that brillent info!

I didnt know it was possible... cheers!

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2007, 05:47 PM

This appears to install Windows drivers for 'Apple Remote'. Are these drivers for the 'Front Row' IR remote, and if they are what can use them in XP?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2007, 05:57 PM

Yes, that's the front row remote.
Linkinus is king.

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Mar 29, 2007, 06:16 PM

the boot camp release notes say you can use it to adjust volume and change tracks in windows media player and itunes

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 04:41 PM

Interesting observation: I performed a fresh install of Vista, then installed these drivers. I was digging through my start menu, and noticed something interesting: the Apple Software Update doohickey. This was definitely before I had installed QuickTime or iTunes. Perhaps this means that future updates will be pushed through here? After all, why else would it be installed with the drivers if not to update said drivers?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 31, 2007, 06:18 PM

Has anyone noticed whether they really fixed the clock issue yet?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 31, 2007, 08:05 PM

The Apple Software Update is the old, familiar one. After installing the new drivers, I ran it and it immediately offered to install the latest versions of Quicktime and iTunes. I'm posting from Windows on my MBP right now. Shortly I'll finish with XP and see if the clock is the way it should be.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 31, 2007, 09:41 PM

OK, with BootCamp 1.2, is everything easy as pie now with the Vista installation? I had the Vista beta, but I installed that by deleting the EFI partition. (Then I just erased everything and went with a single partition with only OS X, since I was only using Windows XP anyway, through Parallels.)

How come deletion of the EFI partition is no longer necessary with BootCamp 1.2? I know keeping it there makes it easy to delete the Windows partition later, but is there any other point to it? Deleting it frees up 200 MB, so why not?

Anyone try triple booting yet with the final release version of Vista?

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2007, 10:09 PM

Everything I had problems with in Vista has been fixed, including the particularly annoying clock issue.
Linkinus is king.

Axo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 09:09 AM

First post here. This happened with 1.12 and windows XP as well: my 1GB RAM module from Kingstone works fine with OSX but causes Windows to not boot . Only occasionally (like 1 time every 15 attempts...) the computer boots. in XP i spotted that 3 peripherals weren't recognized and that a conflict between the RAM bank and the motherboard using the same resource was found.Is any of you experiencing the same problem?

Axo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 1, 2007, 09:15 AM

Moved as a new thread
( Last edited by Axo; Apr 1, 2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: moved as a new thread)

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 1, 2007, 02:56 PM

So far, it looks like they DID fix the clock issue; there was no odd flip of my clock, no incorrect display, it was just right after booting back into OS X after booting into XP and installing the 1.2 drivers. I'm pleased with that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 09:04 AM

So, has anyone tried the 64-bit Vista yet? Do the BootCamp drivers even work? (It's moot for me since my Vista machine is my MacBook, which is 32-bit.)

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
OK, with BootCamp 1.2, is everything easy as pie now with the Vista installation? I had the Vista beta, but I installed that by deleting the EFI partition. (Then I just erased everything and went with a single partition with only OS X, since I was only using Windows XP anyway, through Parallels.)

How come deletion of the EFI partition is no longer necessary with BootCamp 1.2? I know keeping it there makes it easy to delete the Windows partition later, but is there any other point to it? Deleting it frees up 200 MB, so why not?

Anyone try triple booting yet with the final release version of Vista?
So, I answered my own question... I finally installed Vista on my MacBook and yes the install is slick. I now see the light: Yeah, that extra partition is 200 MB, but the convenience of the BootCamp assistant is very impressive.

I just wish I had gotten a bigger hard drive to begin with. I thought I only needed 80 GB since my MacBook isn't my primary machine. However, with 20 GB allocated to Vista, the drive feels a bit cramped for OS X, at 54ish GB. (It also is cramped for Vista as well, considering I've only got 8 GB left, and I haven't even installed Office yet.) My next laptop will have 120 GB methinks, with 30 GB allocated to Vista and 81 allocated to OS X.

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Boot Camp 1.2 beta includes:

Support for Windows Vista (32-bit)
Updated drivers, including but not limited to trackpad, AppleTime (synch), audio, graphics, modem, iSight camera
Support the Apple Remote (works with iTunes and Windows Media Player)
A Windows system tray icon for easy access to Boot Camp information and actions
Improved keyboard support for Korean, Chinese, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Russian, and French Canadian
Improved Windows driver installation experience
Updated documentation and Boot Camp on-line help in Windows
Apple Software Update (for Windows XP and Vista)
Yep. The new drivers are excellent.
Full Aero is now supported (without my having to do driver installation gymnastics). My machine is now rated a 3.1.
The trackpad 2-finger scrolling works (albeit not as nicely as with OS X).
Right-click is supported with 2-finger click.
Audio works perfectly.
iSight works perfectly.
Time is synched.
Apple Remote is supported (although I never use it for anything).
Bluetooth works fine.
Wireless LAN has no problem. I even updated to the latest update from Windows Update and there were no issues. (The latest update is newer than the driver in BootCamp 1.2.)

I understand a couple of the features may have been in the last BootCamp update, but I'm seeing these improvements for the first time, as I was using an older BootCamp with a Vista beta.

Apple Software Update works, but once I had a problem connecting to the server for whatever reason. Screengrabs aren't supported from the keyboard, since I don't have F14 or whatever it is on my laptop keyboard, but Vista's built in Snipping Tool takes care of that.

P.S. Vista in this form is better than I thought, and certainly better than the beta. I've gotten used to it relatively quickly, and it does look better than XP (although not as nice as OS X). Internet Explorer 7 is OK as well, and I prefer some of it to FireFox. It's still kinda disorganized though, and their method of elevating user privileges remains as irritating as in the beta.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 2, 2007 at 09:23 AM. )

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Eug
I just wish I had gotten a bigger hard drive to begin with. I thought I only needed 80 GB since my MacBook isn't my primary machine. However, with 20 GB allocated to Vista, the drive feels a bit cramped for OS X, at 54ish GB. (It also is cramped for Vista as well, considering I've only got 8 GB left, and I haven't even installed Office yet.) My next laptop will have 120 GB methinks, with 30 GB allocated to Vista and 81 allocated to OS X.
You could always pick up a nice 120 or 160GB drive, CC it and easily and quickly switch them out, and have way more space.
Linkinus is king.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 2, 2007, 07:39 PM

Heh. I just checked and realized (again) just how easy it is to swap in the hard drive. I'll hold off for now though. I don't absolutely need it just yet.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 2, 2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
Everything I had problems with in Vista has been fixed, including the particularly annoying clock issue.
I'm still having problems with the $%#@ clock

Granted I don't boot into Vista every day but still, I'd like to not have to mess with the clock whenever I do boot it.
Michael

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 3, 2007, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984 View Post
I'm still having problems with the $%#@ clock
Is this a different issue from the original XP vs OS X clock problem? So far that seems to have been fixed.

You could try reinstalling the clock driver included in the 1.2 drivers; driver installation is not always a sure thing on Windows, and it might not have properly installed the first time.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2007, 08:34 AM

My clock seems fine.

It was off by many hours when I installed Vista, but once I applied the BootCamp 1.2 drivers it works fine.

P.S. Speaking about the passage of time... Despite the bloat in Vista, it "feels" faster in some ways than OS X on the same machine, esp. for internet browsing.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2007, 03:38 PM

I have no problems with the clock if I'm connected to the Internet via ethernet when I restart. If I'm using wireless, however, the time won't update automatically, and I have to fix it manually. I think that it tries to access the time servers before a wireless connection can be established.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2007, 03:44 PM

I'm on wireless. Seems to work fine so far. Mind you, I haven't done a ton of switching back and forth with OS X and Vista yet, just a few times.

EDIT:

Hmmm... I just logged back into OS X, and the time in the menu bar was off by 5 hours... until I clicked on it and then it corrected itself.

Note that when I logged into OS X, my internet access was down. By the time I clicked on the menu applet the internet access was back up, so I guess it synch'd with with the time servers then.
( Last edited by Eug; Apr 3, 2007 at 06:12 PM. )

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 09:45 AM

i am not sure why, but i burned boot camp drivers to a cd.
then i booted into windows xp and ran the driver update thing.
now the keyboard, trackpad, and a couple of other things do not work.
then i try and revert back to the old drivers and i get the BSOD.
this is why i hate windows. they have this backwards way of thinking.
i cannot even use my keyboard or trackpad because of their driver thinking starting up their butt!!!
anyone else come up with this?

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2007, 01:17 PM

has anyone else come up with this error when partitioning:
Verification failed. this disk could not be partitioned.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2007, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
i am not sure why, but i burned boot camp drivers to a cd.
then i booted into windows xp and ran the driver update thing.
now the keyboard, trackpad, and a couple of other things do not work.
then i try and revert back to the old drivers and i get the BSOD.
this is why i hate windows. they have this backwards way of thinking.
i cannot even use my keyboard or trackpad because of their driver thinking starting up their butt!!!
anyone else come up with this?
You don't need special drivers to use a Mac keyboard. The drivers turn on features like the Eject button. Furthermore, Microsoft doesn't write the drivers, Apple does.

Forum Links
Forum Rules