Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Switcher lost an icon-need a little help?

Switcher lost an icon-need a little help?
ilincoln@home
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 07:50 PM

Hello, I've just received my 15" Al PB two days ago and am enjoying my Apple experience. I've said out loud "How cool is this!" enough times that my wife thinks I'm an idiot.

Anyway, I inadvertently removed an icon from the dock and can't find it anywhere to replace it. I looked in Apple help and in my "Missing Manual" for a definition of the standard icons but can't find.

The one I've misplaced was next to the trash; the @ sign on top of a spring.

What is it and how do I get it back?

Thanx for your help-- I'm off to explore eTunes.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 28, 2004, 08:19 PM

I think the icon of which you speak is just a link to the Apple website. To get it back in the Dock, go to http://www.apple.com/, then click on the little apple icon to the left of the URL in the address bar and drag it next to the Trash in the Dock. Release the mouse button and the spingy thingy should be back. This works for any website.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ilincoln@home  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2004, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by megasad:
I think the icon of which you speak is just a link to the Apple website. To get it back in the Dock, go to http://www.apple.com/, then click on the little apple icon to the left of the URL in the address bar and drag it next to the Trash in the Dock. Release the mouse button and the spingy thingy should be back. This works for any website.
Thanx that's it. This forum is part of the reason I switched. Thanx again.

RGB
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2004, 10:21 PM

Just to give you a tip, you really shouldn't need that icon there

normr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2004, 11:21 PM

You can easily add items to the dock 2 ways, either while the program is runing, you can click on the icon in the dock and just keep the button depressed until you see a menu and just choose, keep in dock, or you can directly drag the program icon right into the dock, and you can get rid of them just as easily, just drag them out and watch them go poof.

By the way, welcome to the Mac, you'll be glad you made the switch did you learn the secret handshake yet?

Forum Links
Forum Rules