Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > DVD envy

DVD envy
Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 01:51 AM

Ok, I know PC users have a few DVD player options. But what DVD players are availabel for OS X? Can any of them do surround/DTS decoding? I've heard some about VLC but is that and Apple's DVD Player all there is?
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
Ok, I know PC users have a few DVD player options. But what DVD players are availabel for OS X? Can any of them do surround/DTS decoding? I've heard some about VLC but is that and Apple's DVD Player all there is?
Well... does your machine have the ability to pass all the different signals (surround, etc.) to a receiver that can drive the speakers in that way? Surround and DTS encoding are pretty worthless if you're using a pair of speakers plugged into your mini jack!

For the full Monty, I'd still suggest a DVD player plugged into an amp, in your living room

Scooterboy  (op)
Senior User
Oct 15, 2004, 03:58 PM

I have the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra powered speaker system, with the M-Audio Sonica Theater USB sound card. I don't have a living room. Just a one room flat. Klipsch ProMedia Ultra doesn't have a built-in decoder. Apple DVD Player passes the DTS signal but you still need an additional box or AV/DTS Reciever to decode the signal. WinDVD and several others I believe, decode in software, negating the need for an external decoder (around $150). I'll buy a decoder if I have to, but I'm wondering if there are other Mac OS X DVD Players other than Apples, and does one of them offer software decoding? I would pay for an application that could do this. There are DVD player applications for Windows that can do this. Why not for Mac?

I don't own a TV, DVD Player, Home Entertainment stuff as I really don't have the room and after spending so much on the PowerBook I feel I can do what little DVD watching I do at home on that, and have more space for living.
( Last edited by Scooterboy; Oct 15, 2004 at 04:05 PM. )
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

Forum Links
Forum Rules