Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Switching resolutions made easy ?

Switching resolutions made easy ?
Rêvons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 08:39 AM

In the coming months Im planing on buying a 15" MBP + 24" Dell monitor to replace my G5 and 20" ACD. I will be using the MBP both with and without the monitor so I will be switching resolutions regularly. Switching resolutions means (for me) resizing alot of windows and apps and having to do this regularly would drive me (more) insane. So here's my question (finally, you say), is there some app or utility that can help me ease the transition between the two resolutions
I dont really want to get the 17" MBP, because of the size, but does have the same resolution as the display Im planning on getting...

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this one

BTW, first post for me here, someone make me feel welcome

MacDog
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2007, 09:18 AM

I don't know of any apps that will do that, unfortunately. But depending on what applications you're using the feature might be built-in. For instance, Adobe's apps have a "workspaces" feature built-in which saves the Window positions for you. So you could have a "1 screen" workspace and a "2 screen" workspace and just select the workspace you want from the menubar and it will automatically move them around for you.

OmniWeb also has this feature.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
The Graphic Mac: Tips, tricks and commentary for design, Adobe and Mac OSX.

GuillaumeB
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2007, 05:23 PM

Hum.. isn't this process done automatically?
I mean I was thinking that Mac OS would automatically recognize the size of the screen to offer a proper resolution...
My website
MBP 13" Uni - 4GB RAM
MBP 15" - 4GB RAM

Rêvons  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2007, 06:12 PM

Thats exactly the sort to thing Im talking about MacDog, cheers. I use both PS and FCP quite heavily and both offer this time saving feature. Its other apps that I use in a fullscreen mode that Im worried about like Safari, iTunes etc.

Just thought of another way you could do this and that would be using apple's very handy zoom window button if only that thing worked properly (what the hell does it do anyway?) Anyone know of an app or utility that changes the function of that little green button so it does something useful ?

Cheers !

mpancha
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2007, 10:23 AM

"Anyone know of an app or utility that changes the function of that little green button so it does something useful ?"

I'd love to know the answer to that one as well. I know that Apple wants it to make the screen the full size needed for the particular window you are using, and not maximize....

but the fact is, I want my computer to do what I want, and I want it to maximize filling the entire screen. If I need a window to size-to-fit, I can do that by dragging on the corner of the window.
MacBook Pro | 2.16 ghz core2duo | 2gb ram | superdrive | airport extreme
iBook G4 | 1.2ghz | 768mb ram | combodrive | airport extreme
iPhone 3GS | 32 GB | Jailbreak, or no Jailbreak

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 2, 2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by mpancha View Post
"Anyone know of an app or utility that changes the function of that little green button so it does something useful ?"

I'd love to know the answer to that one as well. I know that Apple wants it to make the screen the full size needed for the particular window you are using, and not maximize....

but the fact is, I want my computer to do what I want, and I want it to maximize filling the entire screen. If I need a window to size-to-fit, I can do that by dragging on the corner of the window.
I did a little Googling and found this:

megazoomer 0.4.1 - MacUpdate

It only works for Cocoa apps, but at least it's a start.

It would certainly be nice if Apple realized that true window maximizing isn't a bad thing. I miss it every time I use my iBook.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules