Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Don't mess with the bear.

Don't mess with the bear.
Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jun 28, 2006, 11:15 AM

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
Even though our strategic interests may be different and we do not enjoy the same kind of relationship shared with, let's say Great Britain, it's clear that this might wind up being an example of "the enemy of my enemy is my friend."

In big broad terms (assuming the people the Russians are after are people we'd want to neutralize also) this is little different in philosophy than the idea of our renditions of select prisoners to countries with no prohibitions on torture in order to benefit from the fact that our national morality prevents our doing the things that may be important to winning.

I'm not saying the US and Russia colluded on this or are at all cooperating here, but if the US can't do all of the sometimes dirty but necessary things to fight this war because of left wingers and freedom of the press and leakers and government oversight and etc. the world should take note of the effect this news (not to mention the actions of the Russian hit teams themselves) produces in the enemy's ranks.

And there may be absolutely no more news of this to hit the news. Secret hit teams don't advertise and their victims aren't likely to talk.

No press. No leaks. No protests. No oversights. But the insurgents will have another reason to look over their shoulders now. And who's to say that the interests of the Russians won't sometimes complement the interests of the Coalition forces?

Or vice versa.

Sometimes it's nice to have a bad-assed buddy when you're in a battle. Think, 'good cop/bad cop.'
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Forum Links
Forum Rules