Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > RIP Tony Snow

RIP Tony Snow
vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 12, 2008, 02:06 PM

journalist for 27 years, Tony Snow succumbed to colon cancer today at age 53.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 12, 2008, 04:46 PM

250,000 people die everyday.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2008, 05:30 PM

This is too bad for him, his family and his friends, but I can't state my opinion on what he did with the last years of his life because whenever someone brings up political figures and body fluids it gets edited out by a mod.

Not that I'm saying it shouldn't be.

Nor that I've ever seen an edit specifically in reference to Satan's body fluids.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 06:23 PM

I know he had a long and hard-fought battle with cancer -- It's an especially awful way to go, and I'm sorry for his suffering & glad he's now out of pain. It's one thing when someone dies peacefully in their sleep of old-age, or keels over of a heart attack, but cancer can be such a long, drawn-out struggle, and from what I can tell, he really stayed upbeat and positive through the whole ordeal, and tried to keep working as long as possible. I respect that.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2008, 10:19 PM

i wonder if tony's family and friends prayed for his recovery...

i guess it didn't work

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2008, 12:53 PM

I don't remember such ugly comments when Russert died - let the guy have a funeral and rest in peace a little while, could you all?

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
I don't remember such ugly comments when Russert died - let the guy have a funeral and rest in peace a little while, could you all?
Umm…he's dead. By definition he IS at peace. Snide, trollish, immature comments or not.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2008, 01:36 PM

Hence why I said "a little while".

stupendousman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
i wonder if tony's family and friends prayed for his recovery...

i guess it didn't work
Classy!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ghoser777 View Post
I don't remember such ugly comments when Russert died

Maybe more people thought Russert was a stand-up guy.

I held my tongue when Snow was still alive, and (honestly) felt bad for his situation. I did my part.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2008, 07:33 PM

RIP, the nine US soldiers who just died in Afghanistan.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080713/...as/afghanistan
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2008, 01:01 AM

It is interesting that we are far more interested in celebrity cancer deaths than we are with non-celebrity cancer deaths.

Just making a general point that is not related to Tony Snow.

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 02:20 AM

He was basically a bad person who worked against our country. But he always tried to be pleasant, even when he was trying to defend torturing innocent people. Not many people could have lied about torture so effectively, so I'm sorry he passed away.
The 4 o'clock train will be a bus.
It will depart at 20 minutes to 5.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2008, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tie View Post
He was basically a bad person who worked against our country. But he always tried to be pleasant, even when he was trying to defend torturing innocent people. Not many people could have lied about torture so effectively, so I'm sorry he passed away.
I guess itll be perfectly acceptable that when you pass, to have random people saying these things in public to where your friends and family may hear?

I hope the people hearing of your death are at least a little bit more classy than you, and you won't be remembered as completely intolerable.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 15, 2008, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I guess itll be perfectly acceptable that when you pass, to have random people saying these things in public to where your friends and family may hear?

I hope the people hearing of your death are at least a little bit more classy than you, and you won't be remembered as completely intolerable.
Well, you open yourself up for that when you become a celebrity/public figure, and a person is ultimately accountable by his deeds, but I think we can all maintain a little respect for the dead, especially someone who suffered bravely through a very protracted battle with cancer.

Unless it's Jesse Helms. Or Stalin. Just sayin'.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jul 15, 2008, 01:25 AM

No clue who he is, but R.I.P.

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 15, 2008, 01:40 PM

The difference is that I am working to improve the world. I am not trying to subvert our country. I can look myself in the mirror and say, no, I am not having Afghani tribesmen sell their enemies to the US as "terrorists" so they can be tortured to death. I'm sure Osama Bin Laden is a real nice guy, too, but when he dies I won't be worried about showing him any class. Snow isn't on the same level as Bin Laden, he is more like a Ken Lay (led Enron to steal billions of dollars and caused rolling blackouts across California with Bush's blessing, then died before he could serve any time for his crimes). For this class of person, I don't worry about showing class. It's insulting to the many people who really do love our country and work to make it better.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 12:19 AM

The difference is that I am working to improve the world. I am not trying to subvert our country. I can look myself in the mirror and say, no, I am not having Afghani tribesmen sell their enemies to the US as "terrorists" so they can be tortured to death. I'm sure Osama Bin Laden is a real nice guy, too, but when he dies I won't be worried about showing him any class. Snow isn't on the same level as Bin Laden, he is more like a Ken Lay (led Enron to steal billions of dollars and caused rolling blackouts across California with Bush's blessing, then died before he could serve any time for his crimes). For this class of person, I don't worry about showing class. It's insulting to the many people who really do love our country and work to make it better.
Spreading the word of progress begins with practicing what you preach. Celebrity or not, its sentiment such as yours that results in absolutely no progress being made when differing views are involved. I believe its far more insulting to those who work for our country to encourage snotty, pointless, and malicious behavior...regardless of who you're talking about. Its kinda the opposite direction we're trying to head.

There's a time and place to express your views on Mr. Snow. A thread/conversation about his lost battle with cancer is certainly not one of them.

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 11:29 AM

It is this "regardless of who you are talking about" that we disagree on. I guess you and I have differing views on whether it is good to torture innocent people, and on whether we should be firing US attorneys for prosecuting too many Republicans and not enough Democrats. Yes, I have no respect for your or Snow's views on these issues, any more than I respect Bin Laden's views on jihad.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 03:39 PM

It is this "regardless of who you are talking about" that we disagree on. I guess you and I have differing views on whether it is good to torture innocent people, and on whether we should be firing US attorneys for prosecuting too many Republicans and not enough Democrats. Yes, I have no respect for your or Snow's views on these issues, any more than I respect Bin Laden's views on jihad.
please point to where i said I agreed with the man?
please show me where i said those are my views?
what does your behavior have to do with those issues you brought up?
please show me how anything in your post right there is relevant to my previous response?
Please show me how respecting views equates to respecting someone's RIP thread?

If you can't show class or the will to be productive to everybody, including those you hate or have wronged you...then the world is doomed to war and society doomed to fail....also it makes you look just as bad as the people you're trying to insult...especially if you're insulting them in their mourning thread.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2008, 04:07 PM

The difference is that I am working to improve the world. I am not trying to subvert our country.
No, you are doing what YOU believe is improving the world. What Tony was doing was no different; he believed he was working towards what was right.

Except apparently you're right, everyone else is wrong, and it's perfectly fine to make snide comments about the (very) recently deceased if they were a conservative. I think I understand the lesson.
Can't we be a bit more civil?

RIP, Tony. You fought cancer with loads of courage.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2008, 04:40 PM

Jawbone54: putting a positive spin on an administration no matter whether they were actually doing something that was commendable, and no matter whether you personally feel that what they are doing is commendable is something that should be applauded?

No Press Secretary for any administration is doing something that is truly bettering their country, they are just doing a slimy political job that may very well be a necessary evil, but spin, deception, and a sales pitch does not better a country, no matter what you are spinning, no matter how you feel about what it is you are trying to sell, and no matter what party you belong to, period.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2008, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by stupendousman View Post
Classy!
unless my calculations were wrong, please explain?

the mechanicals of prying is hard to understand... why do some prayers don't work, etc

/just saying

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
No, you are doing what YOU believe is improving the world. What Tony was doing was no different; he believed he was working towards what was right.
Do you know what he thought? Was he working towards what he felt was right, or was he working for the hope of striking it rich with a book (like the press secretary before him)? I don't know what he thought, I don't know what Ken Lay thought, I don't know what Osama Bin Laden thinks. It really doesn't matter. What matters is whether you are actually working towards what is right, or not.

Except apparently you're right, everyone else is wrong, and it's perfectly fine to make snide comments about the (very) recently deceased if they were a conservative. I think I understand the lesson.
This is a political forum. It is not the place to whitewash the record of bad people, and these are not "mourning threads." When Saddam Hussein died, Snow-i wrote, "What worthwile purpose would be served in letting him live? He had such a disregard for human life, I don't see why people would want to treat him differently then he treated his people." So much for respect for the very recently deceased. I'm sure Hussein thought he was working towards what was right, too.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 11:16 AM

Our discussion at that moment was on whether or not he should be executed for his crimes against humanity.

It wasn't an RIP Saddam Hussein thread.

Like i've been arguing. Time and Place for your views. This is not the place to **** talk a deceased countryman.

And are you seriously arguing that hussein thought he was working towards what was right? Perhaps you are right about Snow. But Snow was not a war criminal...and regardless of your conspiracy theories he was an American and was one of our countrymen.

The lesson is behave yourself. Otherwise you lose credibility with those that are able to control their urge to blab about what a piece of **** someone is.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 11:37 AM

"[Tony] showed us how to live life: with strength, determination, and with a brave and smiling face." House Speaker Nancy Pelosi

See? Even the Leader of your party knows how and when to speak. That was pulled from a remembrance article of Tony Snow pulled from CNN.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2008, 12:59 PM

Our discussion at that moment was on whether or not he should be executed for his crimes against humanity.

It wasn't an RIP Saddam Hussein thread.

Like i've been arguing. Time and Place for your views. This is not the place to **** talk a deceased countryman.

And are you seriously arguing that hussein thought he was working towards what was right? Perhaps you are right about Snow. But Snow was not a war criminal...and regardless of your conspiracy theories he was an American and was one of our countrymen.

The lesson is behave yourself. Otherwise you lose credibility with those that are able to control their urge to blab about what a piece of **** someone is.

I don't think tie brought up Hussein because he intended direct comparisons between Snow and Hussein, but to make the point that there were many that thought that what Hussein did was "right" (notice the quotation marks). Our definition of "right" is a set of values we personally assign. It is perfectly legitimate to believe that Snow was not looking out for his country, and I believe that we should respect this opinion if these set of beliefs and be rationalized.

Also, right and wrong are not binaries. You can argue that whatever wrong that Snow did was "less wrong" than Hussein, but this is also subjective, as is the level of wrongness that would make one feel that that person's life was not worth celebrating.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2008, 08:09 PM

He had nice hair and a good speaking voice. He was also very loyal to his political party and what they stand for.

Rest in peace Tony Snow, wherever you may be.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 17, 2008, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Rest in peace Tony Snow, wherever you may be.
I think he may be six feet under supplying nourishment to various slimy little creatures. The food chain and all that.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2008, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I don't think tie brought up Hussein because he intended direct comparisons between Snow and Hussein, but to make the point that there were many that thought that what Hussein did was "right" (notice the quotation marks). Our definition of "right" is a set of values we personally assign. It is perfectly legitimate to believe that Snow was not looking out for his country, and I believe that we should respect this opinion if these set of beliefs and be rationalized.

Also, right and wrong are not binaries. You can argue that whatever wrong that Snow did was "less wrong" than Hussein, but this is also subjective, as is the level of wrongness that would make one feel that that person's life was not worth celebrating.
True, all very true.

However in order to respect his opinion he must first respect that the man lost his life and voice his opinion in the proper manner. This is his remembrance thread. Not a debate for whether or not his views and actions were morally correct. And if you are going to voice your opinion...at least do it with some class....ex.

"You know i hated what he stood for but i'm sorry he lost his life"

Show some compassion and respect for the man and his family. Otherwise you (anyone) and your views will lack any respectability at all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2008, 02:38 AM

Snow: so then at what point is it appropriate to not show that respect? Would it be appropriate for Hussein? Bin Laden?

Atomic Rooster
Jul 18, 2008, 03:18 AM

Snow: so then at what point is it appropriate to not show that respect? Would it be appropriate for Hussein? Bin Laden?
You must forgive the worst of the worst or your soul will be damned to HELL where you will made to suffer and burn and be tortured for eternity, forever and ever until the end of time, but, God loves you.
( Last edited by Atomic Rooster; Jul 19, 2008 at 01:39 AM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 04:05 AM

Is so sad that no one here cares about the fallen soldiers who died in Afghanistan. How come no one is paying respects to soldiers fighting for our security and freedom?

Yet, you guys pay respect to a guy who served as a mouthpiece to Pres. Bush, which lead to too much stress for Snow to handle. Stress and cancer are linked you know.

tie
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 04:14 AM

We obviously disagree on this. I guess if I were an Iraqi, you wouldn't want me criticizing my countryman Saddam Hussein either. I think if someone sells out his country, like Snow or Hussein, then he doesn't deserve the respect of his countrymen. That's fine if you disagree, since that what political forums are all about. Iraqis can criticize Snow and Americans can criticize Saddam Hussein, but not the other way around---I think I can understand your logic even if I disagree. My own feeling is that it is disgusting to start a "remembrance thread" for a moral scumbag, and since this is a political forum, not a mourning forum, I feel perfectly fine saying that.

And to answer your question, I think it is just as likely that Hussein thought he was working towards what was right as it is that Snow did. (Since they were both smart people, I doubt that either believed it, but nobody can know.) Neither of them actually was working for the good of their countries, of course.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Is so sad that no one here cares about the fallen soldiers who died in Afghanistan.
Easy on the hyperbole, bud. I care a LOT about them. We should have had the Taliban mopped up by 2003, and a Marshal pan for Afghan recovery in place by 2004. We took out eye off the ball in a big way. Painting crumbling schools with a fresh coat of paint is not reconstruction. A national govt. that can't set foot outside of its capitol is as much of a sham as the puppets we installed in Saigon.

Afghanistan should be fixed, and pronto. We need 10X the effort there, and it should have been that way from sept. 12, 2001.

You've got to look at this through the lens of Celebrity. Pat Tillman certainly got plenty of press when he died in Afghanistan.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by chris v View Post
Easy on the hyperbole, bud. I care a LOT about them. We should have had the Taliban mopped up by 2003, and a Marshal pan for Afghan recovery in place by 2004. We took out eye off the ball in a big way. Painting crumbling schools with a fresh coat of paint is not reconstruction. A national govt. that can't set foot outside of its capitol is as much of a sham as the puppets we installed in Saigon.

Afghanistan should be fixed, and pronto. We need 10X the effort there, and it should have been that way from sept. 12, 2001.

You've got to look at this through the lens of Celebrity. Pat Tillman certainly got plenty of press when he died in Afghanistan.
Funny how you mention Pat Tillman. The government lied about how he died and try to use his death as a propaganda tool. Hid the truth about his death from Tillman's family.

Sad how the government and army treated the Tillman family. Sad how the US Army said Pat Tillman is "Worm Dirt" because he is an Atheist.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2008, 05:33 PM

True, all very true.

However in order to respect his opinion he must first respect that the man lost his life and voice his opinion in the proper manner. This is his remembrance thread.
That's not how this forum works though. People take whatever opportunity they can find to express their opposition and dislike of policies that surround the deceased figures.

For instance I in no way regret harping on Rosa Parks and the fact her body had no business being in the Capitol building. It was a disgrace to the memory of those who did deserve the honor and motivated by pathetic political correctness. They should have instead tossed her body someplace in Montgomery, her institute, or even the Apollo theater.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2008, 05:17 AM

We obviously disagree on this. I guess if I were an Iraqi, you wouldn't want me criticizing my countryman Saddam Hussein either. I think if someone sells out his country, like Snow or Hussein, then he doesn't deserve the respect of his countrymen. That's fine if you disagree, since that what political forums are all about. Iraqis can criticize Snow and Americans can criticize Saddam Hussein, but not the other way around---I think I can understand your logic even if I disagree. My own feeling is that it is disgusting to start a "remembrance thread" for a moral scumbag, and since this is a political forum, not a mourning forum, I feel perfectly fine saying that.

And to answer your question, I think it is just as likely that Hussein thought he was working towards what was right as it is that Snow did. (Since they were both smart people, I doubt that either believed it, but nobody can know.) Neither of them actually was working for the good of their countries, of course.
I'd probably join you.

But, i guess to me...its like going to someone's funeral and being like "what a piece of **** eh?" to everybody attending. Not the proper venue. Another thread debating his views or his politics would be a much better place to voice your dislike and/or your beliefs of his character. Its about universal respect that everyone should be entitled to. If its a thread about remembering or mourning someone's death, just leave it be.

I doubt anyone will make a "RIP bin laden" thread to remember him. IMO, in a thread like this...if you don't have any respect for him at all then just keep it to yourself, and let others pay their respects. If no one has any, then there won't be such a thread.

And even in politics, there needs to be some sort of social guidelines. As much as our politicians show quite the opposite, we as people should work together and be conscious of others. Its not about Snow, its about the people trying to mourn or remember him. You may feel disgusted by their urge to do so, but at the same time...you wouldn't want them to talk **** about someone you were mourning would you? Don't justify our politicians lack of respectable behavior by engaging in it yourself.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 20, 2008, 02:10 AM

I'm interested what the original poster thinks. He seems to have broken several rules with this thread.

No link. No thoughts or opinions to discuss.

And post and run.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
I'm interested what the original poster thinks. He seems to have broken several rules with this thread.

No link. No thoughts or opinions to discuss.

And post and run.

And this is a problem how? Lighten up... This place has enough people fussing over the rules as it is.

Atomic Rooster
Jul 20, 2008, 02:16 AM

And this is a problem how? Lighten up... This place has enough people fussing over the rules as it is.
Well mods should be an example to us grunts.

I'm lighting up right now.

Anyway it ends for me now. Continue on topic please besson.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2008, 02:17 AM

Tony Snow seemed like a really great person, and he was wonderful as an anchor on Fox News. Cancer is an horrific such a scourge. Snow showed how to live with dignity and to carry on bravely in the face of such a terrible prognosis.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2008, 01:53 PM

Ian Anderson's take
Tony Snow: A Tribute

Some people ask me, usually vehement liberal Americans, how I could count amongst my few real friends, an arch-Republican spokesman for the Bush administration.

Well, Tony and I disagreed on most things political and came to robust verbal blows on the subject of climate change but that’s the charm of friendship. Life would indeed be a bore if all of your buddies agreed with everything you said and tap-danced to the same tired riff.

I like to think that Tony was a professional journalist and political commentator first and White House spokesman second. He could, I rather think, have filled the post of Press Secretary for an Obama or McCain administration with equal aplomb, dignity and bonhommie.

“An old-fashioned gentleman” is how my wife described him. Once, after Shona’s harassment by long-distance phone to his office in the White House, I asked Tony, “Did you ever get to meet Margaret Thatcher? “No, he replied. “Well, you just did,” I offered, to his great amusement.

With a family history of associated genetic risk, the long battle with colon cancer finally proved too much for even the ever-optimistic, ambitious T. Snow. His last email to me, less than three months before his death spoke of a planned family summer vacation in Italy, book deal, lecture tours and meeting up in August at our concert where I really wanted to get Tony up on stage at Wolftrap to have a flutey moment together, if only for one last time. Sadly, that will not now happen. But the memories of a good American, loyal to citizen and nation, will remain a treasure.

Tony badgered me for a couple of years to get a colonoscopy after my brother’s death from liver failure following his own colon cancer. I finally did just that and, although I never discussed the results with Tony, I am glad that I took his stern advice, not to put too fine a point on it. Good, solid advice to all middle-aged gents, especially where such cancer has been the unfortunately bountiful fruit of the family tree. Think on it, brothers. I shall renew my acquaintance with the one-eyed camera-snake later this year to check out that wondrous organ once again and will be thinking of the Snowman as I drift off into the land of nod, invitational buttocks gently parted. And, on waking, I will be all the better prepared for the outcome, whether good or not-so-good, having known and learned a little of life from Robert Anthony Snow. June 1, 1955 – July 12, 2008
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Anderson View Post
I like to think that Tony was a professional journalist and political commentator first and White House spokesman second. He could, I rather think, have filled the post of Press Secretary for an Obama or McCain administration with equal aplomb, dignity and bonhommie.

Sounds like he didn't dig what he did at the end much either, and sorta calls him two-faced to boot.

With friends like these...

Forum Links
Forum Rules