Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > URGENT help needed!! PB wont start Jaguar!

URGENT help needed!! PB wont start Jaguar!
Disko_matt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 09:01 AM

Okay... i wanted to back everything on my 17" powerbook up onto my PC but i figured a LAN was too slow.
So i booted up my powerbook in firwire HD mode, and linked them up.
Windows2000 (sp4) couldn't read/see the PB. So i right clicked on the "external HD" in windows' "Disk Management" part and selected "register disk", because it wasn't showing up as an external HD like it was supposed to. DOing that did nothing in windows at all... so i unplugged it and restarted jaguar (10.2.6). (windows crashed)
Jag wasn't there. It will only boot of CDs now. So i figured, "okay, i'll just re install jag over the one that i've got and backup my stuff". SO i boot off the software restore CD that came with my PB and ran Disk Utility on it.
I verifyed the HD and found 2 errors:

Overlapped extent allocation
Overlapped extent allocation

I then tried pressing "repair disk". Nothing. and it gave me the same errors.

So now, here i am NEEDING the data on that drive. I've got to be at work in 10 1/2 hours. Can someone PLEASE give me advice on how i can get this data back.

I'm very desperate.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 09:12 AM

I would try to boot into single user mode (hold S on restart) and see if you can run fsck a few times and see if the error fixes itself...

If you can't do this, I would probably boot off the OS X CD and try to do an 'Archive Install'...

This should just reinstall all the core parts of OS X, but leave the user accounts and data completely intact.

Good luck...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2003, 09:13 AM

The Placid Casual has some good advice, but it looks like your hard disk directory is corrupted and not repairable by Disk Utility (fsck), in which case an archive & install won't do any good - in the unlikely event that it will work at all.

Disk Warrior is all I can think of right now. It has fixed all my disk problems that other software couldn't handle.

It costs money, but it is worth it.

-s*

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2003, 09:14 AM

Hmmm, seems like quite a common error:

Just read this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...03030211331230

It seems that Disk Warrior 2.1.1 can fix it, as can Norton (meh!) in OS 9, and Tech Tools Pro is also an option. Don't know how it would work out in the 10 hour deadline though...

Marc
( Last edited by The Placid Casual; Aug 20, 2003 at 09:19 AM. )

Disko_matt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
I would try to boot into single user mode (hold S on restart) and see if you can run fsck a few times and see if the error fixes itself...

If you can't do this, I would probably boot off the OS X CD and try to do an 'Archive Install'...

This should just reinstall all the core parts of OS X, but leave the user accounts and data completely intact.

Good luck...
Yes, im in single user mode now... and the fsck isn't doing much at all... it wont let me enter single user mode unless i boot off the restore CD while i do it.

Also: i tried the archive install before, and it crashed my PB all together.

HELP.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:
Hmmm, seems like quite a common error:

Just read this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...03030211331230

It seems that Disk Warrior 2.1.1 can fix it, as can Norton (meh!) in OS 9, and Tech Tools Pro is also an option. Don't know how it would work out in the 10 hour deadline though...
OS 9 is not an option on the 17-inch.

You can purchase DiskWarrior 3 online, but I don't think that's a bootable image.

You could, of course, run into a store and buy it there - with the bootable CD (newest version only for you).

Only other solution I can think of is to download it, install OS X on an external disk drive, and boot and run it from there.

Good luck!

-s*

Disko_matt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2003, 08:17 PM

Okay guys. i just got to work. Nothing has fixed it... luckily for me, a mate at work has an old imac that i can connect through in firewire mode.

I'll just backup what i can and then format the farker.

Cheers for all the help anyway. I'll be sure to get Disk Warrior when my PB is working again.

Disko_matt  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2003, 01:11 AM

Okaaaay...

Well, i've got all my stuff backed up. All is good.
I erased the HD and renamed it. All is good.
I went to re install Jaguar on it... and the installation fails.

Clearly the HD isn't going too well, but i figure that i've got to 'initialize' the drive again, but i don't know how.

I would use disk utility, but when i click on the HD (not the partition, the HD that says "TOSHIBA"), it crashes disk utility.

Can anyone offer help here??

Appleman
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 03:13 AM

Since you are from Adelaide, I would think it can't be that difficult to get a copy of DiskWarrior?
That really is the very best solution, even for the future.
If you can't, buy it from their site and burn it on a cd making it bootable: they do have a QuickTime movie here so you might be able to make the bootable disk yourself.
Of course this involves paying some cash, but it's one of the best money to spend on software in Mac-land!

Forum Links
Forum Rules