Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > aggrevation importing with itunes and

aggrevation importing with itunes and
Raccoon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2006, 02:09 AM

well, I'm a little disgruntled at importng audio CD's via not only i-tunes, but also audion into my music library.

unless the cd is is straight out of it's shrinkwrapped case, never played before- then all goes well and importing the CD is pretty quick.

If the cd has a fingerprint, or minor scratch- then i-tunes either takes 4 hours to import (if ever) and Audion actually quits with the same CD. (please note that I don't have error correction enabled in itunes or audion)

Now if I play the same cd that wont import via i-tunes or Audion, it plays with no problems- no skips, no hang-ups or anything; with the same programs on the same computer and the same cd drive.

I have a 450 G4, 704megs of ram, zip drive with the DVD ram drive (which wont play DVD's that are burned) as noted to me by Panasonic themselves.

So i'm thinking that if the drive is that sensitive, then lets for the heck of it change it and see what happens... (I know)
Welp, I borrowed two CD drives from 2 different makers and had the same results as noted above. Played fine all the way through, no skips, hang-up or glitches. But the import process was the same, slow buggy and hesitant on certain tracks and often will not finish the import process leaving me with the beach ball for hours when the mouse is over either of those two programs. (actually Audion just quits)

So this just leads to me to think that it's an apple software issue more than anything because when going to the darkside and using a friends ancient Armada laptop and plaease forgive me for using it, but it had absolutely no issues importing the same troublesome audio CD's and on playback of the mp3 after transfer to my G4- no skips or anything.

My girlfriend is a professional DJ and ocasionnaly uses my G4 as a source and I recently had a harddrive failure (sounds like a metal box loaded full of BB's), bought a new HD and now have to re-import her CD's (perhaps 2000 I;m guessing) and having these issues are more than irritating.

So the question is, is it apple's problem? Is there a program that negates this issue? or should I just move over to the darkside to encode hard audio media?

Raccoon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 03:37 PM

after using a compaq, hp and a dell- with OS's ranging from 98se, win2k and xp___ I had no problems with problematic CD's

The same CD's that are problematic I also tried in an ibook, powermac g4 15" and an older imac (swivel screen), all with osx (OSx versions vary), but I had the same problem as I do on my G4.

it just doesn't make any sense that itunes can play the cd with no skips or errors but fail to import it.

I only have like 1900 hundred or so CD's to go for import, so far, 20 will not go all the way and the time it takes to stop itunes, uncheck the track box (which eliminates a track obviously) and click import again is utterly painful when knowing that it might take a month to finish this with a working system, let alone one that relentlessy forces you to quit.

porieux
Baninated
Jan 26, 2006, 04:14 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:00 AM. )

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Jan 26, 2006, 05:13 PM

deleted

Raccoon  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2006, 06:03 PM

I know I sound rude, ruthless and look like a foaming raccoon on rabies, and I apologize for that.
My frustration level is beyond boiling when I have to run my own company, come back home and deal with this.
I know, not the greatest excuse, but thats what it is.

Originally Posted by porieux
I have never had this problem. If you are using
DualDIscs then they are not really CDs and
won't play in some players because the discs
are too thick.

Otherwise, I think calling AppleCare will
get you better results than posting here...

I'm not too sure what dualdiscs are, but I have an idea, but that still wouldn't matter (IMHO) because these CD's play in the very machines that I have tried, including my own.

The problem that because they play flawlessly throughout (second for second without skip, hesitation or static) and won't import on machines using OSX is the problem and while I'm not a programmer (and don't have OS9), t seems to me that the problem is directly related to OSX and itunes. Where that problem lays is beyond me.

I just want a program that runs on a Mac, that can not only play the CD in it's entirety trouble free, skip free to also be able to import it as an mp3 without bailing on me.

Keane99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2006, 08:45 PM

I have the same problem, and I have nearly gone nuts. The cpu just shuts down and I have a MacBook Pro 2.0 Ghz, I am going to phone apple care. There is a serious problem with the optical drives on alot of these CPUs.

scattered
Aug 16, 2006, 10:17 PM

Have you tried enabling error correction?

canasam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 26, 2006, 02:51 PM

I'm having the exact same import problem on my brand new 2.16Ghz Macbook Pro. Haven't been able to find a suitable workaround. Incredibly frustrating.

Perhaps there is a problem with the optical drives, which makes me want to bang my head against my desk, but at the very least there must also be a problem with iTunes -- why doesn't it just skip over the troublesome tracks or provide an error message instead of freezing up!

PS. I've tried enabling error correction -- no dice.

Forum Links
Forum Rules