Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > And I thought I had it good...

And I thought I had it good...
Thread Tools
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2007, 10:57 PM
 
So there is this guy at my school, we'll call him Bob. Bob's was held back in middle school twice. He got suspended twice last year. He shows up today in his new Porsche Boxster. Some parents. Honestly, who would buy a stupid kid like that a Porsche? And yes, that's my car next to it.
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2007, 11:01 PM
 
you should tell him that a good way to polish "his car" is to put eggs all over it and let them sit in the sun for awhile.
     
imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2007, 11:03 PM
 
With milk.
     
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2007, 11:07 PM
 
jealous?
     
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2007, 11:07 PM
 
eggs and milk. eggs and milk.. eggs and milk...

hows your girlfriend doing?
     
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NY²
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2007, 11:09 PM
 
And condensed milk to wash the windscreen.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 29, 2007, 11:10 PM
 
Did your parents buy your car for you?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 07:54 AM
 
If you're going to make relative statements about the fact that a Porsche is too good for a high school student, then someone will inevitably tell you that an Accord is too good for a high school student. You see, it's all about perspective. From yours, an Accord is reasonable. From his, a Porsche is reasonable. From another guy's, a 1972 Delta 88 is reasonable. People have varying incomes and they purchase products accordingly. You're not observing foolish parents, you're observing parents with more money than yours, and at the same time, you're failing to have any sympathy for the fact that plenty of people have less money than yours. How do you think the kid with the '72 Delta 88 feels about your Accord? Or the kid whose parents can't even afford a $500 used car + monthly insurance payments?

It's important in life to try not to be smug.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 08:26 AM
 
sorry but you're whining about another student having a porche falls on deaf ears for me. When I was in high school, I nor my parents could afford a car for me. Heck they barely had enough money to make ends meet and I had to work after school to help out support the household. I didn't save up enough money for a car until I was in my twenties (and that was a 15 year old car).

So you can see that (at least for me) your childish whine about someone is so undeserving of a porshe because he's in high school fails to sway me.

Especially because you bring up his past failings. By those additions you show that your argument is not on principle of a teenager having such an expensive car but rather you're jealous that some parents would buy their child that car while you only drive an accord.
     
JohnPlantada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:45 AM
 
I thought boxters were for girls...
( Last edited by JohnPlantada; Nov 30, 2007 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling...)
Not everything that matters can be measured, and not everything that can be measured matters.
--- Albert Einstein

http://web.mac.com/johnplantada
     
Paco500
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:56 AM
 
In the OP's defense, his title seems to indicate that he knows he's pretty lucky himself.

My first car was a honda as well- 12 year old Civic bought for 225 of my own hard earned dollars. I loved that thing.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 10:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
My first car was a honda as well- 12 year old Civic bought for 225 of my own hard earned dollars. I loved that thing.
I hear ya. I bought a 72 plymouth duster for 500 bucks in the mid eighties.

No floor boards, quarter panels rusted away, blue smoke emanated from the tail pipe. Yet I loved that car. It was my first car and it was cool.

I bought and supported it on my own so it was a scary prospect. While the cost of the car wasn't a lot, insuring it was. Working at an entry level job back then didn't pay much and I still had help out the family so part of my paycheck went back into the household.
     
Paco500
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 10:41 AM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
While the cost of the car wasn't a lot, insuring it was.
My insurance was dirt cheap. I was added on to the family policy and it was ~$350 a year for pretty good coverage. It wasn't until I left college that I broke out of the family poilcy, as I no longer shared an offical address, that I discoverd why it was so cheap. For reasons I'm not really sure, the car was registered in my and my mother's name. When I went for my own policy I was astounded that the cost was going to go up about three fold. A bit of investigation by the insurance agency showed that State Farm has assumed, as the car was jointly registered to a man and a woman, that I was married. So from the age of 16- I was getting a marrige discount. Thankfully, I never made a claim. Not sure if I would have been accused of fraud, but I/We never intended to mislead, nor did we even know about the error.
     
PB2K
Mac Elite
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Netherlands
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 10:43 AM
 
going to school by car?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 10:55 AM
 
Idiotic parents. No kid should drive a Porsche on a public road.
     
Paco500
Professional Poster
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Berkshire, UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 10:59 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Idiotic parents. No kid should drive a Porsche on a public road.
Exactly. People with that kind of money should have enough class to drive on private roads. Next you are going to tell me this is a state school!

These poeple are seriously letting the upper class down.
     
HackManDan
Forum Regular
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: The Capital of Silicon Valley
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Idiotic parents. No kid should drive a Porsche on a public road.
It's irresponsible of ANY parent to buy a teenager a sports-car. It's dangerous for the teenager, for his friends, and for everyone else on the road. I mean that's just common sense:

http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_7554274?
     
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Los Angeles
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:25 AM
 
I bet he'll wreck it soon enough.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ
     
dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Madison, WI
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Idiotic parents. No kid should drive a Porsche on a public road.
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Exactly. People with that kind of money should have enough class to drive on private roads. Next you are going to tell me this is a state school!

These people are seriously letting the upper class down.
Paco500, I think you mis-interpreted Mastrap's comment. He wasn't commenting on the fact the bourgeoisie were letting their offspring impudently interact with the proletariat. He WAS commenting on the fact that letting any 16-year-old (i.e.: a brand-new driver) on the road in a high-speed, attention-getting car is dangerous, especially to others on the road. This isn't a social class issue but rather a public safety issue. How many 16-year-olds, especially 16-year-old males, are mature enough to drive a bright-red convertible Porsche in a safe and responsible manner?

<edit> HackManDan got Mas's sentiment.
Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post
It's irresponsible of ANY parent to buy a teenager a sports-car. It's dangerous for the teenager, for his friends, and for everyone else on the road. I mean that's just common sense:

http://www.mercurynews.com/search/ci_7554274?
( Last edited by dcmacdaddy; Nov 30, 2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: update post.)
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.
     
scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: detroit,mi,usa
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:36 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Idiotic parents. No kid should drive a Porsche on a public road.
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Exactly. People with that kind of money should have enough class to drive on private roads. Next you are going to tell me this is a state school!

These poeple are seriously letting the upper class down.
These are funny comments. Apparently some people missed the joke.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:38 AM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
My insurance was dirt cheap. I was added on to the family policy and it was ~$350 a year for pretty good coverage. .
Massachusetts = $$$$ auto insurance.
     
Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:46 AM
 
Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
These poeple are seriously letting the upper class down.
Take a look at these guys. Upper class twit of the year.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:47 AM
 
Originally Posted by Mastrap View Post
Idiotic parents. No kid should drive a Porsche on a public road.
I'm wondering if it isn't actually safer for him to be in that porka than anything else. Sure, it's a reasonably quick thing - but most accidents around here involving teenage drivers tend to be when the driver is trying to impress the nine mates he has sitting in the back seat. Can't do that in a Boxster.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
theDreamer
Dedicated MacNNer
Join Date: Feb 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
 
This is nothing.
A student at my high school, he was a senior when I was a freshmen, drove a viper to school three times a week. His parents bought him the viper, but he was not allowed to drive it but a few times a week, so mean right? Instead he had to drive a brand new pick-up truck with huge tires, rims, etc. (probably three 5k into the pick-up) to school the other days, and weekends.

His parents felt he deserved those cars that is fine, others feel a used car with plenty of miles on it is just right for a high school student.

It is dreams that will survive, for a dream is immortal.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 12:07 PM
 
I was a teenager once - I know shocking
and I can safely say I drove too fast. If I had a Porsche back then I probably would have pulled a James Dean.

That being said, there's no way to judge the kid who has it. Maybe he's an excellent driver and will not take undue risks that would endanger him or others. I just know I was a little reckless.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 12:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
That being said, there's no way to judge the kid who has it.
iMitchell's description didn't make him out to be the pinnacle of intelligence.

Not to say I'm a particularly safe driver. When I was 17 I got ticket going 96 in a 55 and lost my license for 7 months (it's a good thing he didn't catch me a half mile earlier...).

I won't be surprised at all if I get a ticket once I get my new car back. I just don't have any self control.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 12:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
iMitchell's description didn't make him out to be the pinnacle of intelligence.
True but we have no right to say he's not a safe driver since we don't know him
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 12:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
True but we have no right to say he's not a safe driver since we don't know him
You clearly don't understand the purpose of the Internet.
     
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Dec 1999
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
 
I rode public transit to school.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
     
Kevin
Baninated
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In yer threads
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 12:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by theDreamer View Post
This is nothing.
A student at my high school, he was a senior when I was a freshmen, drove a viper to school three times a week. His parents bought him the viper, but he was not allowed to drive it but a few times a week, so mean right? Instead he had to drive a brand new pick-up truck with huge tires, rims, etc. (probably three 5k into the pick-up) to school the other days, and weekends.

His parents felt he deserved those cars that is fine, others feel a used car with plenty of miles on it is just right for a high school student.
Viper's are KNOWN to kill inexperienced drivers too. Sad. Those aren't toys.

Hell my dad had a Porsche and he let me drive it twice. Both times he was sitting in the passenger's side. And I was 32.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 12:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
I rode public transit to school.
Let me be the first to imply the means of transit was sub-average in length.
For fun
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I won't be surprised at all if I get a ticket once I get my new car back. I just don't have any self control.
Hunh.

I just hope that if you manage to injure or kill someone, it will be you - and only you.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 01:03 PM
 
I want at least a police chase. Entertain some people before you go.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 02:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Hunh.

I just hope that if you manage to injure or kill someone, it will be you - and only you.
I'm talking about a stupid ticket like squealing tires or doing 10 over. I'm not stupid enough to endanger peoples lives. I've been driving for 7 years, I'm completely accident free, and I've only ever had one ticket.

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I want at least a police chase. Entertain some people before you go.
I live 1 block from the police station, so that's actually likely.
     
analogika
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 888500128
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 02:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'm talking about a stupid ticket like squealing tires or doing 10 over. I'm not stupid enough to endanger peoples lives. I've been driving for 7 years, I'm completely accident free, and I've only ever had one ticket.
Ah, gotcha.

Your post made it sound like doing 96 in a 55 zone is a habit with you, rather than teen idiocy cured by losing your license.
     
Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the hearts and minds of MacNNers
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 02:39 PM
 
He's mellowed in his old age. Now he does 46 in 25s.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 02:44 PM
 
Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Ah, gotcha.

Your post made it sound like doing 96 in a 55 zone is a habit with you, rather than teen idiocy cured by losing your license.
Definitely not a habit. Not to say I haven't tried to test the limits of my new car...
     
imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 07:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
sorry but you're whining about another student having a porche falls on deaf ears for me. When I was in high school, I nor my parents could afford a car for me. Heck they barely had enough money to make ends meet and I had to work after school to help out support the household. I didn't save up enough money for a car until I was in my twenties (and that was a 15 year old car).

So you can see that (at least for me) your childish whine about someone is so undeserving of a porshe because he's in high school fails to sway me.

Especially because you bring up his past failings. By those additions you show that your argument is not on principle of a teenager having such an expensive car but rather you're jealous that some parents would buy their child that car while you only drive an accord.
I don't see any whining in my post. If you've seen any other of my car threads, you'll notice I love my car. Maybe you will also notice my signature. It has the Honda logo and says "Accord EX-V6". If I thought having an Accord sucked I most likely wouldn't put it in my signature, I'd keep my iMac or Leopard one. I think it is completely ridiculous that someone who has been held back twice and suspended (just last year) should be rewarded like that.
     
imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 07:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
If you're going to make relative statements about the fact that a Porsche is too good for a high school student, then someone will inevitably tell you that an Accord is too good for a high school student. You see, it's all about perspective. From yours, an Accord is reasonable. From his, a Porsche is reasonable. From another guy's, a 1972 Delta 88 is reasonable. People have varying incomes and they purchase products accordingly. You're not observing foolish parents, you're observing parents with more money than yours, and at the same time, you're failing to have any sympathy for the fact that plenty of people have less money than yours. How do you think the kid with the '72 Delta 88 feels about your Accord? Or the kid whose parents can't even afford a $500 used car + monthly insurance payments?

It's important in life to try not to be smug.
Okay, put this in perspective. He's been held back twice in middle school. He's been suspended at least once( last year). The only reason he goes to my school is because he was kicked out of public school (two years ago). Now, does a Porsche sound reasonable? I one the other hand work my butt off for my grades and have what in my opinion is the best car that I could really have. I'm not saying that I deserve such a nice car, but at least I've worked for it. The deal behind my getting my choice of an Accord V6 or Tiburon GT was that I had to get straight A's. That's very hard for me as I struggle in math and science. But you know what? I worked like crazy (probably studied math and science for at least 3 hours every night) and got the grades. I waited 4 months then to find the right Accord for me and I found it. My Accord has everything I want, and nothing I don't. I'm not jealous of him and his Porsche because frankly, he'll either wreck it, or get a speeding ticket and lose his license. I've seen him drive. He's done nothing to earn it, and he has a car that could kill him, or worse, somebody else. (Not that my Accord couldn't cause as much damage, but great power comes with great responsibility, which I understand).
     
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 08:15 PM
 
Meh, the freakin thing looks used anyhow. Also, except for Sealoboo's sharp example, Boxsters are for chicks, and you should let the guy know that. I wouldn't sweat him.
ice
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 08:19 PM
 
There were several Porsche owners in my HS, but most were the "MG-like" 914, a couple 924 junkers, and one beefy 928 owned by the captain of the football team. For the most part, however, most of the "sports cars" were underpowered Fieros, MR2s, Camaros, and the occasional vette.

I owned a zippy little `85.5 Mustang SVO that I tuned and beefed up with any spare cash I could get my hands on.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Okay, put this in perspective. He's been held back twice in middle school. He's been suspended at least once( last year). The only reason he goes to my school is because he was kicked out of public school (two years ago). Now, does a Porsche sound reasonable? I one the other hand work my butt off for my grades and have what in my opinion is the best car that I could really have. I'm not saying that I deserve such a nice car, but at least I've worked for it. The deal behind my getting my choice of an Accord V6 or Tiburon GT was that I had to get straight A's. That's very hard for me as I struggle in math and science. But you know what? I worked like crazy (probably studied math and science for at least 3 hours every night) and got the grades. I waited 4 months then to find the right Accord for me and I found it. My Accord has everything I want, and nothing I don't. I'm not jealous of him and his Porsche because frankly, he'll either wreck it, or get a speeding ticket and lose his license. I've seen him drive. He's done nothing to earn it, and he has a car that could kill him, or worse, somebody else. (Not that my Accord couldn't cause as much damage, but great power comes with great responsibility, which I understand).
So you're saying he doesn't deserve the porsche because of your preconceived notions that being held back makes you less of a person. Even if he was lazy and didn't work hard and his parents bought it for him. What's that to you. No matter how you slice it you sound jealous. Instead of seeing what someone else has, be content with what you do have.

So did you buy your car or did your parents purchase it for you? What about all those kids who "work their butts off" but they nor their parents can afford a car.

You might as well learn this lesson now, there will always be people who have more expensive toys then you do, and a lot those folks may not be so deserving of them. You keep looking over what someone else has, you'll not enjoy the blessings that you already have.
     
- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 08:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Did your parents buy your car for you?
?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]
     
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:02 PM
 
My seven year old thinks life should be "fair".

I just laugh.
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Okay, put this in perspective. He's been held back twice in middle school. He's been suspended at least once( last year). The only reason he goes to my school is because he was kicked out of public school (two years ago). Now, does a Porsche sound reasonable?
You don't know that much about his situation - you just know the outsider's view. You shouldn't sit in judgment.

First of all, you need to get past the fact that it's a Porsche. The type of car is only related to the wealth of the parents, not to some bizarre scale of deserving. Second, since we've established that you only have a shallow understanding of him, you don't know the reasons for any of the things you see as negative attributes. What if he has a legitimate disorder of some kind? What if he was given the car as a tangible carrot in front of him to encourage good behavior? Again, get over the brand name and just think of it as a car. Let's pretend for a minute that he suffers from depression. That could cause poor performance in school as well as behavior that could lead to suspension. Let's also pretend that he's getting help. Since he's getting help and working hard towards learning to live with his condition, his parents have provided a car. The car is a daily reminder of what he can get for all of his hard work. And, since he has a chemical imbalance in his brain, his hard work is actually harder than yours. In the end, you are both working hard in order to have cars. You're not so different.

I one the other hand work my butt off for my grades and have what in my opinion is the best car that I could really have. I'm not saying that I deserve such a nice car, but at least I've worked for it. The deal behind my getting my choice of an Accord V6 or Tiburon GT was that I had to get straight A's. That's very hard for me as I struggle in math and science. But you know what? I worked like crazy (probably studied math and science for at least 3 hours every night) and got the grades. I waited 4 months then to find the right Accord for me and I found it. My Accord has everything I want, and nothing I don't.
You sound rather entitled. Be careful.

I'm not jealous of him and his Porsche because frankly, he'll either wreck it, or get a speeding ticket and lose his license. I've seen him drive. He's done nothing to earn it, and he has a car that could kill him, or worse, somebody else. (Not that my Accord couldn't cause as much damage, but great power comes with great responsibility, which I understand).
You sound rather arrogant. Be careful.
     
imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
So you're saying he doesn't deserve the porsche because of your preconceived notions that being held back makes you less of a person. Even if he was lazy and didn't work hard and his parents bought it for him. What's that to you. No matter how you slice it you sound jealous. Instead of seeing what someone else has, be content with what you do have.

So did you buy your car or did your parents purchase it for you? What about all those kids who "work their butts off" but they nor their parents can afford a car.

You might as well learn this lesson now, there will always be people who have more expensive toys then you do, and a lot those folks may not be so deserving of them. You keep looking over what someone else has, you'll not enjoy the blessings that you already have.
I said I loved my car. I really do. I also said I'm not jealous of his car. I'm not. My car is the best possible car for me. Maybe I should kiss it to show that I really love it?
     
imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by wallinbl View Post
You don't know that much about his situation - you just know the outsider's view. You shouldn't sit in judgment.

First of all, you need to get past the fact that it's a Porsche. The type of car is only related to the wealth of the parents, not to some bizarre scale of deserving. Second, since we've established that you only have a shallow understanding of him, you don't know the reasons for any of the things you see as negative attributes. What if he has a legitimate disorder of some kind? What if he was given the car as a tangible carrot in front of him to encourage good behavior? Again, get over the brand name and just think of it as a car. Let's pretend for a minute that he suffers from depression. That could cause poor performance in school as well as behavior that could lead to suspension. Let's also pretend that he's getting help. Since he's getting help and working hard towards learning to live with his condition, his parents have provided a car. The car is a daily reminder of what he can get for all of his hard work. And, since he has a chemical imbalance in his brain, his hard work is actually harder than yours. In the end, you are both working hard in order to have cars. You're not so different.

You don't have five classes a day with him. And instead of Porsche, I'll say crazy fast and expensive car from now on.
     
wallinbl
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: somewhere
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
You don't have five classes a day with him. And instead of Porsche, I'll say crazy fast and expensive car from now on.
You'd be surprised about how little you know about people no matter how much time you spend with them. I work 8-9 hours a day with the same people every day and have done so for the last five years. They know very little about me. None of them know that my wife is struggling with chronic health issues and that is hard on me and can affect my work. None of them know that my mother suffers from a mental illness, and that is hard on me and can affect my work. None of them know that I have ADD, and that is hard on me and can affect my work. None of them know that I've recently had some health problems that have changed what I can and can't do physically and that can affect my work. I work hard to make sure that it doesn't affect my performance, but I'm more mature now than I was in high school and I'm more capable of doing so. Perhaps your classmate has not yet learned to fully cope with whatever is causing his struggles.

It is better to assume that someone is struggling with something than to assume that they're a worthless jerk. Odds are, he's not failing in school and misbehaving simply because he's a failure and a jerk. It's more likely that he's struggling with something. I wouldn't expect a high school student to be self aware enough to acknowledge it, so you'll likely never hear him say it.
     
MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2007
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 30, 2007, 09:54 PM
 
But you haven't answered the question.
Did you buy the car or did your parents. Who pays for the insurance you or your parents?
     
imitchellg5  (op)
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Dec 1, 2007, 12:07 AM
 
My mom bought it for previously said reasons. I pay for insurance and everything else.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,