Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Version 2.0 of iViewMedia Pro - a quantum leap

Version 2.0 of iViewMedia Pro - a quantum leap
Old Toad
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2003, 10:52 PM

I'd like to alert you to the recent new version of iViewMedia Pro. I just got it today and have been experimenting with it. I've used it as a back up or complimentary to iPhoto for as long as I've had iPhoto. The new version, 2.0, is a quantum leap ahead. Their "version control" allows you to make multiple edits of an image and save each one. Then in the Version Control window pane, you can click on the list of "versions" of the image file and very quickly jump back and forth to see what the edits have done. They have added a number of image editing tools which are excellent. Their auto enhancement is as good and maybe even better than Photoshop's Layers and Auto Layers.

They have enhanced their "Sets" (say "Rolls" in iPhoto) management. There is very versatile contact printing options, slideshow options. And the speed of opening, scrolling, etc. is incredible.

The deal maker for me is their "Versions" control. Now I can edit to my hearts content in this application without fear of losing or screwing up the original image file.

Of course they have upped their price, but I think it's more than worthy of it.

Just thought you'd like to know.

TC
Senior User
Sep 9, 2003, 03:14 AM

Wasn't the version control stuff in the last version?

I have just looked through what's new in 2.0 and there doesn't seem to be a lot, starting to look a bit steep at $160. I think they are trying to create a divide between their consumer and pro apps.
Nothing to see, move along.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2003, 03:28 AM

I think you mean 'Levels' not 'Layers'.

iVMPro seems to be getting pricey, but I'm sure it's worth it for pros - not so sure about consumers though. And what the hell are they making a Windows version for ?!

Old Toad  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 12:02 PM

In Photoshop they are called Layers. Not sure about Photoshop Elements.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Old Toad:
In Photoshop they are called Layers. Not sure about Photoshop Elements.
well, there is such a thing as Layers in Photoshop (and Elements, no doubt), but Layers has nothing to do with any image enhancement functions, it has to do with different layers within an image, Levels does on the other hand, which is all to do with the spread of tones from black to white, a bit like playing with the contrast, not that it matters really...

Old Toad  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2003, 07:04 PM

Opps. I didn't read your reply closely enough. I was thinking of another posting regarding layers in Photoshop files in regards to TV safe areas for iDVD.

I was using Version 1.5.7 and it did not have the version control that 2.0 does. I agree it's a bit pricey, but I got it a long time ago and the upgrades are a more reasonable.

I just created a new catalog for all of my 2003 images to date, 2304 so far, and it only too a couple of minutes to create. Opening is blazingly fast, 5 seconds from double click to fully open - again for 2304 images. If it weren't for the ability to interface with the other iApps and creating a book, I'd probably not use iPhoto. However, there is a web site that gives you the same book as Apple. You upload the pictures to their site and assemble it there. It's called MyPublisher at http://www.mypublisher.com/wp1/index.htm.
( Last edited by Old Toad; Sep 9, 2003 at 07:10 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules