Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > That's one nutty kiss!

That's one nutty kiss!
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2005, 03:51 PM

Of course I feel bad for the girl, but what a story her boyfriend has to tell his next girlfriend!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/condi....ap/index.html

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2005, 03:58 PM

It's kinda like that scene in X-men.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2005, 04:07 PM

That's pretty sad. Poor kids.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

gururafiki
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2005, 04:08 PM

That sucks! Yea I feel bad for the girl dying, but the boyfriend is never going to forgive himself! He has to live with this for the rest of his life...

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2005, 04:09 PM

I have nut allergies also but not that severe. I get some pains in my chest, throat and mouth.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2005, 04:12 PM

That's just awful. Poor kids, the both of them.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2005, 04:37 PM

Holy crap. That sucks.

deomacius
Senior User
Nov 28, 2005, 04:41 PM

Gives new meaning to the phrase "kiss of death". I wonder if this has ever occurred before? Seems unlikely that this would be the first time.

You reap what you sow.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Nov 28, 2005, 04:44 PM

Wow!??!
( Last edited by Rolling Bones; Nov 29, 2005 at 02:35 AM. )

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2005, 04:47 PM

I feel bad for people with severe food allergies, specifically an allergy to nuts. Being that almost every food processed in the U.S. has some sort of nut product in it, your choices are very limited. Then you have to worry about kissing someone. That's just gotta suck.

Interesting little note in that article stating that some experts theorize that the possible use of baby oils made from nuts could cause allergies later in life makes me even more paranoid to have a baby. God only knows what I could be doing that seems completely safe and normal and turns out to be just plain bad.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I have nut allergies also but not that severe. I get some pains in my chest, throat and mouth.
Be careful. Sometimes, you can have less severe reactions from nuts for a long time, but then for no reason, the next one can be a severe anaphylactic reaction.

You may want to consider asking you doctor if epinephrine injectible pens (Epipen) may be something you may want to have around. Hopefully you would never need it, but all it takes is one severe reaction without the proper treatment...

I wonder if that poor girl had an Epipen with her.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 28, 2005, 05:12 PM

What about your chin?

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2005, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera
Be careful. Sometimes, you can have less severe reactions from nuts for a long time, but then for no reason, the next one can be a severe anaphylactic reaction.

You may want to consider asking you doctor if epinephrine injectible pens (Epipen) may be something you may want to have around. Hopefully you would never need it, but all it takes is one severe reaction without the proper treatment...

I wonder if that poor girl had an Epipen with her.
I think I must have about 10 food allergies, when I was younger 25ish.

At any rate the Epipen is like a $100 bucks and expires every year. I would really only need one for bee stings and those **** me up large (we're talking hospital).

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Nov 28, 2005, 05:18 PM

At any rate the Epipen is like a $100 bucks and expires every year. I would really only need one for bee stings and those **** me up large (we're talking hospital).
That's $8.35/month for insurance against possibly preventing what happened to that girl in the article. (That's what I'd tell my patients... I'm not trying to lecture you.)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2005, 05:36 PM

I would think that the boyfriend would have known the girl was allergic to peanuts before they got close enough to kiss...

It's a bummer either way, but that boy is going to have a horrible life because his kiss killed a girl.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2005, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I would think that the boyfriend would have known the girl was allergic to peanuts before they got close enough to kiss...

It's a bummer either way, but that boy is going to have a horrible life because his kiss killed a girl.
Oh please even when I tell people I am allergic to something they don't take it that serious. You think a 15 year old boy would know not to kiss a girl after he ate peanut butter?

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2005, 05:52 PM

the article does not say she kissed him on his mouth

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2005, 05:53 PM

i have, on occasion, had that opportunity within a few minutes of meeting a person.

not that I necessarily always took the opportunity.

but still.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2005, 05:58 PM

As the parent of a teenager who's not that far removed from age 15, I feel that kids are a bit more particular about who they get into potentially romantic situations with than they get credit for. That's not to say that once they get into those situations they behave particularly intelligently... But before getting close, they tend to "be friends" in the sense that they know each other beyond sitting in the same classroom and maybe having the same lunch period. I would hope that this sort of serious allergy would have come up in conversation. "Can I get you some candy?" "Sure, but no Resse Cups, I'm really allergic to peanuts."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2005, 06:10 PM

As the parent of a teenager who's not that far removed from age 15, I feel that kids are a bit more particular about who they get into potentially romantic situations with than they get credit for. That's not to say that once they get into those situations they behave particularly intelligently... But before getting close, they tend to "be friends" in the sense that they know each other beyond sitting in the same classroom and maybe having the same lunch period. I would hope that this sort of serious allergy would have come up in conversation. "Can I get you some candy?" "Sure, but no Resse Cups, I'm really allergic to peanuts."
That still does not necessarily translate in a teenager's brain into "keep in mind what you ate a while ago and wash your mouth out before kissing if it contained peanuts."
Chuck
___

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
What about your chin?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2005, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
That still does not necessarily translate in a teenager's brain into "keep in mind what you ate a while ago and wash your mouth out before kissing if it contained peanuts."
Quite possibly true, but that's pretty depressing. "I'm so allergic to peanuts I could stop breathing" sounds like something that would stick in a boy's mind for a while.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2005, 06:46 PM

Quite possibly true, but that's pretty depressing. "I'm so allergic to peanuts I could stop breathing" sounds like something that would stick in a boy's mind for a while.
Well, yeah, but people are not always that explicit. My mother is allergic to shellfish like that, but she usually just says, "I can't eat shellfish; I'm allergic."
( Last edited by Chuckit; Nov 28, 2005 at 06:55 PM. )
Chuck
___

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2005, 03:27 PM

Very sad. My prayers go out to the victim's family and friends. Feel very sorry for the boy, needs our prayers also.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2005, 04:24 PM

… but that boy is going to have a horrible life because his kiss killed a girl.
Exactly, hope the right people can help him with that terrible experience. they say love hurts, but that is too much…

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2005, 06:35 AM

+5 Funny headline

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005, 09:41 AM

Chuck, on reflection (and with advice from both other adults and my teenage son) I have to say that you're right. This was such an odd situation, and the girl's reaction was so severe, it's hard to see a way for anyone to have been prepared for it.

Sad. Very sad.

andi*pandi
Nov 30, 2005, 09:50 AM

really very sad. poor kids.

hickey
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2005, 11:50 PM

my brother has severe allergic reactions to nuts and poultry, his doctor said it gets progressivley worse in his case. For example, he could have ate chicken and nuts when he was a baby and not had a bad reaction, but if he ate it now hed be screwed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules