Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Suggestions on Engagement Ring!

Suggestions on Engagement Ring! (Page 2)
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 09:52 AM

...but only because I fell for Ca$h's really uncreative and immature flamebait.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jan 6, 2007 at 10:29 AM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 09:59 AM

It won't happen again.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jan 6, 2007 at 10:29 AM. )

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 10:09 AM

Love is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound

And I don't know if I'm being foolish
Don't know if I'm being wise
But it's something that I must believe in
And it's there when I look in your eyes

Love is in the air
In the whisper of the trees
Love is in the air
In the thunder of the sea

And I don't know if I'm just dreaming
Don't know if I feel sane
And it's there when you call out my name

Love is in the air
Love is in the air
Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh

Love is in the air
In the rising of the sun
Love is in the air
When the day is nearly done

And I don't know if you're an illusion
Don't know if I see it true
But you're something that I must believe in
And you're there when I reach out for you

Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound
And I don't know if I'm being foolish
Don't know if I'm being wise

And it's there when I look in your eyes

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 10:11 AM

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 10:13 AM

Don't wave your 3 mutated thumbs at me freak

(I really look forward to a new graphic to that lame emoticon in the new era)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 10:24 AM

Is that better?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 10:26 AM

Yes, at least the hand is proportioned correctly.

vexborg
Senior User
Jan 5, 2007, 11:52 AM

I would go with this one (see link below) - but take a look at their site to see more nice examples...

Ortak Jewellery
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
GET IT CUSTOM MADE.

I cannot stress that enough. Find a diamond exchange where you can pick out a loose stone and then have the band and setting custom made. You will get much higher quality at a much lower cost, plus you'll be sure to get exactly what you want (even if you just want them to copy a design you found somewhere else). I went to Freedmen Jewlers in Boston and got the perfect ring with an absolutely fantastic stone (F color, SL1 clarity) for significantly less than even the closest approximations I had seen at any of the jewelry stores (where you'll likely get an H color or worse for your stone).

And for the love of god, don't buy anything from Tiffany's. They use inferior quality diamonds, and all you're paying for is the brand name.
Sorry for digressing, but on what basis do you say Tiffany uses "inferior quality diamonds"? And what do you mean by inferior quality? Care to explain please?

To the OP:
Being from the jewelry industry, I'd also recommend getting it custom made. If you want I could help you design something along the lines of what you've already posted, email it to you and then you can take it to whoever to get it made.
Also do some research on the quality of the diamonds you want in there. Knowing the quality range will help you narrow down what you want exactly and also help you find something that would fit your budget.
BTW, how soon do you want this, and where exactly are you located (if you don't mind me asking).
Another tip, bands are typically used for after the wedding. But having TWO bands after the wedding would be pretty cool too, and you could actually have something designed that would match the second band in terms of symmetry and balance and such, just like others have suggested on here.
All the best!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Don't wave your 3 mutated thumbs at me freak

(I really look forward to a new graphic to that lame emoticon in the new era)
haha, you should talk bullet tooth.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
So...you're cynical AND bitter?
Nope, I just don't feel like giving up a lot of creature comforts, security in my savings account, retirement, and other personal luxuries so my wife can have a super expensive rock on her hand. She feels the same way. But hey, if you really feel it's better to get a big ass rock and eat ramen forever, more power to you. But I THINK THAT IS F***ING RETARDED.

You don't need a magnifying glass to see flaws in a diamond. A cheap diamond is going to look like crap. If you buy your girlfriend a cheap diamond just to save some cash and still have a "pretty" setting, she'll notice, her mom will notice, your mom will notice, her friends will notice, and the mailman will notice.
Really? Tell me how cheap the diamond is on her ring. I posted a pretty good picture of it. I also assure you that most people will NOT notice, unless they're jaded stuck up people like yourself obsessed with diamond's qualities. And I assure you, unless someone gets right up to the diamond within 1 ft of it and stares at it, there is NO WAY anybody is going to notice what it is, especially the mailman.

Two diamonds that are of very good quality won't look different to the naked eye. But I can guarantee you that even a bitter person like yourself will very clearly see the difference between a $100 diamond and a $1000 diamond.
Maybe. But that's why I bought a USED diamond. New jewelry is like buying a new car: you pay a HUGE premium, only to have the value drop like a freakin anvil as soon as you walk out of the store. My mom has a diamond in her safety deposit box. In 1993 or so, it cost over $15,000. Guess how much it's worth now? Maybe 5grand. If that. Why? Because used jewlery is worth total ****.

I can't see spending the extra money on a car OR a computer. Both depreciate in value the day you take them home, and it only gets worse from there.
So does jewelry.

I'm sorry that you're so bitter about Sam's Club. It's the wonder of capitalism, and if you're sad that you aren't a billionaire member of the Sam Walton family, that's just too damn bad.
I'm sorry you support the exploitation of illegal immigrants, and enjoy giving them jobs in this country. I'm also sorry you support a store that sells goods primarily imported from other countries, most likely manufactured by slaves.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 01:57 PM

Someone else might want some other old style than filigree, and if that's the case, that's their choice. Continuing to (a) thread crap and (b) more or less insult those who, in making one of the biggest shopping decisions they will ever make, didn't satisfy you, shows what an unbelievably selfish jerk you are.
\
I'm the jerk? It's quite clear the original poster has said MULTIPLE times they prefer an antique ring, NOT a freaking platinum bla bla bla bla bal with level 5 diamonds with +7 trap sensing abilities. Okay? So... in summary, I think it's you who should just be quiet.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
haha, you should talk bullet tooth.
What's wrong with my thumbs, Mullet?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
+7 trap sensing abilities.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:08 PM

someone just sucked the jelly from someone's donut.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 02:09 PM

and used **** for toothpaste, judging from the smell.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 03:03 PM

Mr. centerchannel68, I have a question for you.

If you really think that no one's gonna notice what's on her finger unless they come within a foot of the ring, then why did you even bother to buy a diamond?
Haven't you heard of diamond simulants/imitations? Those look even fancier from a distance, have a lot more fire/brilliance and cost way less than even a "second hand" diamond.

p.s. let's keep this civil yeah?

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:13 PM

Mr. Macfreak7, I would have purchased a fake diamond, since they're more optically perfect than nature can create, with less cost, if it had already been in that filigree ring. But to us, the ring was the winner. I've not seen another ring as elegant or beautiful, and the fact that it had a big rock on it was fine with me. But yes, if I was going to 'build' a ring I'd definitely get a fake one. There's no sense in paying MORE for something with more flaws. It doesn't make sense.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 03:17 PM

Optically more perfect?
You do know that diamonds are "singly refractive" while diamond simulants are "doubly refractive". So that makes it anything but more optically perfect than a diamond. Other than that, diamonds do have properties (physical and chemical) that aren't equalled to by simulants.

I was just wondering why you agreed to buy that diamond, but now it's clear that you both liked the ring and the stone was pretty much irrelevant, which is absolutely fair enough.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:27 PM

The stone is only worth as much as you value it personally. If she lost the ring, it wouldn't matter if it was 'worth' $50 or 5 million, it would still suck the same.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 03:31 PM

Exactly! However, different people are willing to pay $50,000 per carat for a 3 carat pink diamond since they do see the value in purchasing such a rare stone. To them it's worth it, but maybe to you a pink tourmaline would do just fine at a fraction of the cost of the pink diamond.

I think jewelry has become such a commodity that people forget the emotional value behind it.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:36 PM

I think the idiot dumb enough to pay $50 grand for something that's going to be worth about 1/4 of that a day after they buy it needs to be shot in hte face, and have their assets divied up to starving countries.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Optically more perfect?
And YES, optically more perfect.

Synthetic diamond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Despite being occasionally characterized as 'fake', synthetic diamond is molecularly identical to the carbon allotrope defined as diamond when referring to naturally occurring diamond. As such, it shares the same material properties and is potentially of an even higher quality than its natural counterpart."

Read it. Real diamonds are stupid.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post
Optically more perfect?
You do know that diamonds are "singly refractive" while diamond simulants are "doubly refractive". So that makes it anything but more optically perfect than a diamond. Other than that, diamonds do have properties (physical and chemical) that aren't equalled to by simulants.
Not all diamond simulants are doubly refractive. Cubic zirconia, sythetic garnet, and sphalerite are isotropic (singly refractive). Although moissanite (silicon carbide) is doubly refractive (anisotropic) it actually has a higher refractive index than diamond and is nearly as hard.

Synthetic diamonds on the other hand (not simulants) are the exact same carbon allotrope as natural diamond and therefore have the same properties (refractive index, hardness, and optic character), and can rival natural diamonds in their quality.
( Last edited by awaspaas; Jan 5, 2007 at 04:41 PM. )

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:02 PM

This site is worth a look - they synthesize diamonds quite well:

http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/jewe...comparison.htm

main site:
http://www.diamondnexuslabs.com/jewelry/index.php

they even cut glass

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:04 PM

I hear they have nice stones in Amsterdam.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:13 PM

I graduated from high school awhile ago.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jan 6, 2007 at 10:30 AM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
I hear they have nice stones in Amsterdam.
Nice chicks, too.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:16 PM

Ug, make a pop culture reference get shown a fat chick. No thank you.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:16 PM

now that was a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent if I ever saw one.
( Last edited by osiris; Jan 5, 2007 at 07:09 PM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:17 PM

Does that help cleanse your eyes?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
now that was a righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropiate agent if I ever saw one.
Niiiice.

Does that help cleanse your eyes?
Well, the burning sensation seems to have subsided some.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:21 PM

Hey, I'd do her, and I'm a girl.

I think it's got something to do with the hair. Magical powers in that hair, I'm telling you.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:22 PM

Diamonds are worthless. Besides being plain and easily duped, they're not even rare gems.

The "diamond engagement ring" is the most successful marketing scam in history, with Americans being the primary suckers. Unlike the gold wedding band, the diamond engagement ring isn't a real tradition, but a 65 year old advertising slogan.

If you want my suggestion, another piece of jewelry with heartfelt symbolism is best, like a watch with an inscription of the date you first met.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:24 PM

Hey, I'd do her, and I'm a girl.

I think it's got something to do with the hair. Magical powers in that hair, I'm telling you.
I didn't say I wouldn't do her (who is it, giselle?), you just don't realize the amount of damage you inflicted on the first shot.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 05:25 PM

Y3a recommends giving her a nicely designed ring tattoo for her ring finger.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 05:47 PM

You do realize that a lot of jewelry appreciates - not depreciates - in value. A diamond is not a car. It is not a computer. A "better model" will not be released two weeks, six months, or one year after you buy your diamond. A high-quality diamond is as high-quality five decades from now as it was the day you bought it. The only really good diamond I own is over 50 years old, and while it's not extremely valuable (not in the quadruple digits), it's still worth a lot and it still means a lot to me.
Sorry, you are wrong. Jewerly does depreciate. Don't believe me? Try selling any of your jewelry, after buying it 'new'. You won't get even HALF of what you paid for it.
You're still of the attitude that those who choose to not buy an antique ring are somehow less than you. You haven't insulted the OP, but you certainly insulted other posters who chose to not buy antique rings. Buying an engagement ring is an extremely personal decision. Why you care what choice someone else has already made is beyond me.
Why you continue to post your useless drivel when the original poster does not give a **** what you have to say about new fancy expensive jewelry is beyond me.

You do realize that some people can afford to spend $1000 on a ring and still take her out for a steak dinner the next weekend, right?
And that makes it a good investment? Because someone could afford to do so? I could 'afford' to spend 5 grand on a piece of jewelry right now, but that would be STUPID. It would be worth crap the second I bought it, and if I ever wanted to sell it I'd probably get like $1500 or so. Used jewlery is worth not much at all, compared to it's original price.

You posted a pretty blurry picture, actually. Get a D-SLR and post a 2000 pixel-wide macro shot, and I might agree with what you say.
THANK YOU FOR PROVING MY POINT. You claimed that almost every girl, her mom, and the mailman is going to be able to tell the difference, instantly! You are full of ****. The fact is even you can't tell unless it's a picture 2000 pixels wide. That means, in order to tell the difference in real life, you'd have to be very, very close to the ring, inspecting it. Is that what makes it worth it to you? To have someone come inspect your fat little finger and say "OMG THIS IS +7 DIAMONDS AND +8 TO PALADINS WITH THE SWORD OF BRENDORE OMG OMG OMG?"

Because we aren't like that. I really don't give a **** how much it is worth, or what clarity it is. All that matters to me is that it is looks pretty, and sparkles like a diamond. Which really is the whole freaking point of the diamond anyway, to look pretty. You're speaking of diamonds like men talk about their dicks. Grow up.

I'm not jaded, stuck up, ..... you're too cheap to ever buy her something that is new, unique, and made just for her.
Sorry, you are most definitely stuck up. You think that just because something is new it has more value, intrinsically? Also, you seem to be of the attitude that those who choose NOT to buy a new ring are somehow less than you. You certainly insulted other posters who chose to not buy new rings. Buying an engagement ring is an extremely personal decision. Why you care what choice someone else has already made is beyond me.

I also had a boyfriend who had your attitude. "I'll never buy you good jewelry because it's not worth it." I hate to say it, but no matter what your wife says or does around you, saying that kind of thing is basically telling your wife/girlfriend/fiance/fackbuddy that she's not worth it. She's worth a ring from eBay, but she's not worth a carefully chosen near-perfect diamond in a setting you designed yourself, nosiree. Nice.
Which is why my wife is nothing like you, and I'm glad. I don't buy her jewelry because jewelry is a waste of money. Maybe if I had married a materialistic stuck up bitch who gets her self-worth from the receipts her husband spends at a jewelry store, then I would agree with you. Fortunately, we could both be poor and still happy with each other, because we're not shallow, stuck up people like you apparently are. She doesn't get her self esteem from the value of the jewelry she owns.

I don't support illegal immigrants, period.
Yes you do. You shop at wal-mart and sam's club. They employ illegals, and they also sell junk (that only lasts a few years) made in foreign countries made by slaves and whatnot. So. Sorry. You DO support illegals, by choosing to do your business with a company that employs them.

I do, however, support living a debt-free lifestyle, and nobody can afford to shop exclusively at boutiques and local places unless you have loads of money or loads of debt.
I get my groceries at the farmer's market and a local co-op. I get my clothes from local boutiques and resale shops that specialize in vintage clothes. I pretty much only go to a big box store for TP and cleaning supplies. And you know what? I'm debt free, and we live off less than 40k a year for two people. How can this be possible, you ask?

Well, for one thing, I didn't blow thousands of dollars on a useless rock that sits on my wife's finger, because she has enough self esteem that she doesn't equate her own person to the value of her jewelry, like you do. It is possible to avoid big stores, and live a debt free lifestyle. The secret is not being a dumbass and frittering money away on sparkly shiny objects.

You're living in the wrong country if you get so irate over people shopping at big box stores...not to mention the fact that if it weren't for international trade, the economy wouldn't be half what it is today.
Newsflash: Our economy IS crumbling. We import WAY WAY WAY more than we export, the value of the dollar is dropping, and the value of the euro is rising. People like you, who avoid spending money locally becuase they spent most of it on shiny objects, and instead spend money at big box stores where the profits go out of state and out of country, are part of the problem.

I stand by what I say. You're extremely bitter. The only people who respond as irrationally and reactively as you do are those who have been burned badly in life and want others to feel as bitter and frustrated as they do.
I stand by what I say. You're extremely materialistic, stuck up, jaded, I feel sorry for you. You are the type of person who has such low self esteem they equate their own self worth to the value of their possessions. It's sad really.

To quote fight club: You are NOT your ****ing khakis.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Diamonds are worthless. Besides being plain and easily duped, they're not even rare gems.

The "diamond engagement ring" is the most successful marketing scam in history, with Americans being the primary suckers. Unlike the gold wedding band, the diamond engagement ring isn't a real tradition, but a 65 year old advertising slogan.

If you want my suggestion, another piece of jewelry with heartfelt symbolism is best, like a watch with an inscription of the date you first met.
Shhh. Pipe down, or that materialistic psycho is going to jump on your sack and tell you that you don't love anybody enough to spend thousands of dollars on shiny things, and that's your problem. It couldn't possibly be that you feel differently, and you and your SO would rather have a better daily life than fancy jewelry.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
Our economy IS crumbling. We import WAY WAY WAY more than we export, the value of the dollar is dropping, and the value of the euro is rising. People like you, who avoid spending money locally becuase they spent most of it on shiny objects, and instead spend money at big box stores where the profits go out of state and out of country, are part of the problem.
That's some interesting pseudo-economics. Dead wrong, too.

BTW, "materialistic psycho" is rather outta line.

I'm not against buying a woman valuable jewelry. Diamonds just don't qualify as "valuable."

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 06:14 PM

I'm not interested in reliving the experience with some guy who was crafty enough to convince his parents to let him get married when he was 13.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jan 6, 2007 at 10:31 AM. )

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 06:16 PM

Ca$h, I feel really sorry for your wife. She's missing out on a lot.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Jan 6, 2007 at 10:32 AM. )

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 06:18 PM

You are entitled to your own opinion.

This solidifies my opinion of you, "you're too cheap to ever buy her something that is new, unique, and made just for her."

You're materialistic and stuck up. That's my opinion.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 5, 2007, 06:20 PM

Whatever.

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
I know. My diamond ring is so gullible, I told it that the moon is made out of cheese, and it believed me! I hear sapphires are much more intelligent.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I know. My diamond ring is so gullible, I told it that the moon is made out of cheese, and it believed me! I hear sapphires are much more intelligent.
You know what I meant.

andi*pandi
Jan 5, 2007, 07:47 PM

but it was so funny! come on.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2007, 07:54 PM

I see nothing has changed after my "vacation".

To the OP: Those rings you link to on eBay seem quite over priced. I am sure you could find something locally if you checked out some of the smaller independent jewelers in your area. And consider the custom route again. It's what we did and we couldn't be happier. We also saved a lot of money and got exactly what we wanted.

Our story: I am a traditionalist. I bought the engagement ring and allowed her to design the wedding band. I went with a simple solitaire in a very simple mount. That allowed her to do what she wanted with the wedding band.

I went to a local small shop jeweler that I had a a small reputation with and discussed with him possible rings and stones. I went on a weekday morning and we got to know each other quite well. We discussed what I wanted to spend and what she might like. What we ended up doing is he had me come back about a week later and he said he'd have a number of diamonds to choose from. When I came back he had about 20 diamonds ranging from huge and yellow to tiny and amazingly bright and clear. I ended up selecting a .80 carat stone that is very white but has a couple inclusions. I had it mounted on a simple ring.

After I proposed and gave my wife the ring we went back and she designed the wedding band/wrap.

Because of the respect I showed the jeweler and us becoming pretty good friends he gave us an amazing deal on the wrap. All in all I spent a little over $2200 back in 1996. I had it appraised at another jewelry shop and they quoted me a price of $3200. We just had it appraised again for insurance purposes and it is worth a little over $5500 (so much for jewelry being a horrendous investment).

I also buy 100% of all my jewelry from the same guy and he gives me some amazing prices. Usually around 40%+ off. I have probably spent a little over $10k at his shop in the last 10 years.

In the end, she will love the ring no matter what you get her. As long as she truly loves you. My mom has a tiny chip of a diamond. It's so small you can barely see it. She adores that ring. She also adores my dad. That is love.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 08:01 PM

yeah, GM still sucks. somethings never change.

Railroader
Banned
Jan 5, 2007, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by residentEvil View Post
yeah, GM still sucks. somethings never change.
Touche'.

But you do remember I don't work for GM anymore don't you?

EDIT: Please don't derail this thread.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2007, 08:05 PM

i know. relax relax. just giving you crap.

and i thought i ended this thread posts ago.

simply, don't do it!!! solves all sorts of problems

Forum Links
Forum Rules