Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 24)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 23, 2011, 11:59 AM

Things I will not do: Give Activision or MS access to my Facebook.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Things I will not do: Give Activision or MS access to my Facebook.
I don't have a Facebook account and I refuse to create one.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2011, 11:19 AM

PS Vita Ridge Racer, the combined forces of 2 developers make a full game with 3 tracks (all ported from previous games) and 5 cars. There will be DLC.

Report: Ridge Racer Vita includes only three courses and five cars | Joystiq

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2011, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
PS Vita Ridge Racer, the combined forces of 2 developers make a full game with 3 tracks (all ported from previous games) and 5 cars. There will be DLC.

Report: Ridge Racer Vita includes only three courses and five cars | Joystiq
This is why I am not really looking forward to the next generation of gaming. This is the future, I'm sure. Half ass development, and nickel and dime DLC. We are going to be charged upwards of $100 for a complete game.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 24, 2011, 05:07 PM

This story is one of the most incredible shaftings I've ever heard of in the industry. I can't make sense of EA's logic.

This all sounds great, but as you guys mentioned, there's no way I'm linking my Facebook with XBL. I can just imagine my news feed being spammed by my friends' achievement updates.

I'm interested in seeing what Beacons are all about.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2011, 12:08 PM

Been stuck in Houston at my wife's grandparents with no wifi, tv, anything, so the past day has been dedicated to refreshing my Amazon app's video game lightning deal section.

Bought Battlefield 3 for $39, and have been hoping for a Skyrim discount. Looks like none are coming.

Any of you guys hop on any deals?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2011, 02:27 AM

Anyone else play Star Wars: The Old Republic? I tried out the beta this weekend and I was instantly hooked. LOTS of bugs, though. I can't see how they're going to have a decent December release.

In any event, Bounty Hunter is fun as all hell. I think it's probably my favorite class in the whole game. Stun + jet pack rocket launcher is awesome. So much fun.

Sith and Jedi are fun with all the lightsabers and customization. I tried out the clone Republic trooper, and it was probably the only "meh" class in the game for me. My brother really liked the trooper class, though.

I went ahead and pre-ordered it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2011, 11:04 AM

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is a videogame, so deal -Destructoid
Walker calls Modern Warfare 3 an "un-game", a designation he is undoubtedly quite proud of. He complains that Modern Warfare 3 does not let him choose how to play and restricts him to tight, unyielding corridors. In his latest article, he attempts to argue that linearity isn't his problem (thus freeing him up to enjoy Half-Life without being hypocritical) but he simply confirms that it was his problem. Because honestly, Modern Warfare 3 is about as "open" as the Half-Life series. More importantly, it's as open as Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare which everybody loved before the series became too popular and needed taking down a peg or two.
Of all the reviews I've written over the years, not one article has generated as much vicious, venomous, shocking anger as the positive review of Modern Warfare 3. You are free to read through the 500+ comments that followed, from people who again couldn't simply dislike the game -- they actively could not bear the thought of somebody else liking it. They didn't want to just express the fact that they weren't fans, they had to take their hatred to a whole new level and invalidate the game to its very core.
Sterling is an asshole, and most of his stuff feels either mailed-in, superficial, or transparent link bait, but if there's something he excels at, it's critiquing his own profession. Here,I think he nails it.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2011, 12:51 PM

I really don't know why some people have to hate a game? Or hate that someone likes it. MW3 certainly is not a terrible game. It's a great game, people just might not play it as much as MW1 or MW2. Actually, since I didn't play MW1 or Black Ops, I may play this as long as MW2.

But what in the world is an "un-game". I gotta read that review. I agree that the MW3 campaign is not open, and that it is linear. That's the way it's designed. In most cases you follow your leader and do as your told, go where you are told.

What I do like about the game is the addition of being able to find Spec Ops partners through the matchmaking.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2011, 01:36 PM

Open-world games have plenty of their own pitfalls.

A couple examples. In STALKER you complete a 'dungeon' and the master voice over says "Everyone is rushing into the zone, you have to get there right away!." 12 hours later after finishing up sidequests and hunting boars I decided to mosey on over and see what all the fuss is about, the team of friendlies I was supposed to rush over and meet have been politely waiting for me for weeks, nice guys.

In Fallout 3 you rescue your dad and begin what is pretty much the end of the game, he says a bunch of stuff about needing to get to work right away and blah blah blah, sorry dad, but you'll just have to wait until I hit max level, see you in a month, but by then I probably won't remember what the hell we were supposed to be doing.

I love a good linear game, the pacing, set battles and sense of purpose and urgency will never be matched in a game that lets you waste time picking flowers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2011, 02:25 PM

By the same token, if those open-world games forced your hand, they would be unbearable. Honestly, that's just poor writing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2011, 04:07 PM

XBL's "TV services" - Verizon FiOS kicking off Xbox 360 streaming TV with 26 channels for subscribers

Are you ready to watch a limited selection of channels (26) from Verizon FiOS via your Xbox 360? Verizon and Microsoft sure hope so, this morning announcing plans to offer cable access to Xbox Live Gold members who also pay for Verizon's FiOS TV and internet service plans. That's right: if you pay for a subscription to Xbox Live, and pay for a cable TV subscription, and pay for a cable internet connection, then you can watch 26 of your Verizon FiOS channels on an Xbox 360.
Comcast and HBO are also signed on for as yet unspecified streaming deals with Microsoft. A Bloomberg report from earlier this year indicated that even more content providers had signed on, though Microsoft has only confirmed a handful of said providers thus far.
This is nowhere near revolutionary. A decent-sized letdown, actually.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2011, 05:31 PM

It gets even dumber:

Available HD channels:

BET
Cinemax
CNN
Comedy Central
ESPNews
Food Network
HBO 2
HBO
HGTV
MTV
Nickelodeon
Spike
TBS
TNT

Travel Channel
truTV
VH1
Available SD channels:

Boomerang
Cartoon Network
DIY
Hallmark Channel
HLN
MTV2
Nick Jr
TCM
TV Land
Channels I'd actually be interested in are in red.

Also, 360 had quite a month...

Microsoft Sold Almost One Million Xbox 360s Last Week

According to a Microsoft press release, 960,000 units of their game console found homes in consumers' living rooms last week. The necromantic power of Black Friday is such that 800,000 of those were sold in 24 hours, marking the most successful week in Xbox history. Along with that, 750,000 Kinect sensors got rung up at cash registers, too, both as standalones and as part of bundles.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I love a good linear game, the pacing, set battles and sense of purpose and urgency will never be matched in a game that lets you waste time picking flowers.
You got Skyrim then.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2011, 12:41 PM

Xbox Live's Major Nelson � Xbox 360 records the biggest week in Xbox history
Xbox 360 sold more than 960,000 consoles in the U.S. alone, of which more than 800,000 were sold within a period of 24 hours – the biggest week of sales in Xbox history. (Source: Internal data)
More than 750,000 Kinect for Xbox 360 sensors were sold in the U.S. – standalone and bundled. (Source: Internal data)
Jesus Christ. This throws some cold water on those XBOX Loop 2012 launch rumors, doesn't it?

Battlefield 3 Sales Reach 8 Million - News - www.GameInformer.com
CFO Eric Brown announced during today's Baird Technology Conference in San Francisco the game has now sold 8 million copies to date. This is up from the 5 million EA sold during the game's first week on sale in late October.

Brown continued to say the publisher has now shipped 12 million copies of Battlefield 3. It shipped 10 million in the first week for comparison. A per platform breakdown of sales was not provided.
Not to shabby.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2011, 05:46 PM

Tom Bissell on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Grantland
In 2006 came the series' most refined and absorbing iteration yet: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Not only was Oblivion the first game I bought for the Xbox 360; playing it probably changed the course of my life. Before Oblivion, I went months and sometimes years without turning on a console. After Oblivion, I somehow became a video-game critic. I'm as shocked as you are. What about Oblivion proved so ensorcelling? Early in the game, you emerge from a tutorial dungeon and find yourself standing in the middle of a sunny and seemingly endless veld. In the distance you see a city and a shimmering lake. Pretty sweet. Behind you, though, is a dense, mysterious forest. Check that shit out. In the north, however, looms a range of Led Zeppelinly misty mountains. I want to go to there. Open-world games existed before Oblivion, but none had ever seemed so detailed or comely.

Here, though, was the most obvious selling point: If you can see something in the world of Oblivion, chances are you can visit it. This includes, most enticingly, Oblivion's hundreds of private residences. If you wait until nighttime, you can pick the locks of these private residences' front doors and sneak inside while their owners sleep. Remember that first time you stood at the base of a video-game bed and watched video-game people slumber unawares? Remember how strange and peepy that felt? Remember how you then crept around the house stealing all the bowls, spoons, paintbrushes, and bread you could carry? Remember then stumbling across an in-game fence willing to pay good coin for your stolen bowls, spoons, paintbrushes, and bread? Remember how you spent hours combing the realm for joints to case and plunder? Oh, but lord do you remember when you first realized you could pickpocket people, too? That you could lift their house keys? So now, rather than strike at nightfall, you wait for your hapless marks to attend to their afternoon errands; once they round the nearest corner, you're free to burgle in glorious leisure. Remember that one time, though, when, instead of burgling, you followed one of your marks around town? Remember how he went into the local tavern, sat down, and had a drink? And you stood there, two feet from the dope, fascinated by his inability to comment on or even notice your creepy, malevolent lingering. Soon enough you popped over to his house for a looksy-doodle, nicked all his stuff, and returned to the pub. Dope was still there — drinking, talking to no one. Oblivion? Should call the game Oblivious. Remember how, moved by some obscure phantasm of conscience, you reverse-pickpocketed him and put all the stuff you nicked back into his pocket? Remember how you had to retreat to your one-hitter just to handle the spatial weirditity of that? And remember how, when the gentleman finally headed back home, you followed him, waited until he fell asleep, went back inside, and stole all his stuff back from him again? Friend, I was that space-time-bending Argonian mischief-maker.

I can hear you: Who cares? None of this has to do with what makes Skyrim so great. I agree. The question becomes why the thing that doesn't make Skyrim so great is such a prominent part of Skyrim. Why, in fact, is it in Skyrim at all? I ask these questions as an admirer of Skyrim. Everything else in the game — from the beautiful simplicity of the user-interface system (at least when compared to previous Elder Scrolls games) to the crunchiness of the combat to the graphical fidelity of the environments — has improved upon previous Elder Scrolls games, so why hasn't this? Are we not at the point where dramaturgical incompetence in a game as lavishly produced and skillfully designed as Skyrim is no longer charming?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Also, 360 had quite a month...

Microsoft Sold Almost One Million Xbox 360s Last Week

According to a Microsoft press release, 960,000 units of their game console found homes in consumers' living rooms last week. The necromantic power of Black Friday is such that 800,000 of those were sold in 24 hours, marking the most successful week in Xbox history. Along with that, 750,000 Kinect sensors got rung up at cash registers, too, both as standalones and as part of bundles.
I wonder how many PS3s Sony shipped during that same period.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 30, 2011, 06:24 PM

They'll never tell. (And haven't since NPD stopped the "leaks")

Also, I am blind.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 06:33 PM

Great article (but to try and impress people he tends to use too many words to get his point across) and so right about the dialogue/player-NPC conversations. Fallout 3 (what little I played of it) was the same, I could have ripped Moira's head off sometimes. Your 'servant' in Skyrim has one tone for each of the choices that you have. Hearing her say 'I am sworn to carry your burdens' in the most sarcastic way possible gets tedious. The same is true of the NPCs in shops/blacksmiths etc. A simple Hello or Good Day after you've been there four times would be easy to implement.

The historical stuff really is a waste of time as well. If it doesn't add info for a quest, then leave it out.

When passing guards, who are in each town, it pays to listen to what they're saying, yet you cannot engage them in conversation or try and get them to repeat something. Dumb.

Oh and the fookin dog shouldn't bark all the bloody time.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I wonder how many PS3s Sony shipped during that same period.
Aaaaaaand...

There's the answer. The only way we'd hear is if Sony actually beat M$oft's figures -- they'd push them out within 12 hours.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2011, 07:57 PM

It was a joke. Noticed how I used "shipped" instead of sold.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 1, 2011, 11:29 AM

Also, I am blind.
I don't think i ever mentioned how much i absolutely hate this non reporting of sales, Never mind my personally curiosity, how about business implications surrounding stocks for these companies, not releasing sales figures does not allow full disclosure of business and therefor stock prices don't reflect all relevant information.

The most basic law of stock prices is they reflect the immediate value of a company based on all available information, how can I place value when I "guess" how well they are doing?
I'm going to stop before I go full on rant mode...
( Last edited by Kevin Bogues; Dec 1, 2011 at 11:37 AM. )

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 1, 2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
With MW3 being my multiplayer game of choice for a while (hopefully)

I have some small achievements to finish up in Fallout: NV then...
Batman: Arkham City (plan on picking it up on BlackFriday for $30) & Skyrim
Also thinking about picking up Assassins Creed: Revelations, Forza 4, and Rage on the cheap on BF to join my backlog w/Alan Wake
Black Friday turned into a sorta explosion of Christmas shopping but I did pick up Assassins Creed: Revelations and Rage ($35 & $30) on the cheap during my excursion (both going into backlog hell)

Also missed out on the first lighting deal for Batman: AC on Amazon Thursday night but grabbed it in round two on Friday. It was a 9:15pm EST start, set my phone alarm for 9:10pm, load up the amazon app on the iphone, refresh it at 9:15 on the mark.... 89% Sold Out...Add to Cart...one click check out...back to deals...Sold Out...9:16pm. WTF

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2011, 11:50 AM

I don't think i ever mentioned how much i absolutely hate this non reporting of sales, Never mind my personally curiosity, how about business implications surrounding stocks for these companies, not releasing sales figures does not allow full disclosure of business and therefor stock prices don't reflect all relevant information.

The most basic law of stock prices is they reflect the immediate value of a company based on all available information, how can I place value when I "guess" how well they are doing?
I'm going to stop before I go full on rant mode...
Yeah, it's the simple rule of knowledge is power and withholding knowledge robs investors of that power. It's chickenshit, like publishers who don't ship games to reviewers until the last second (or later) or put on review embargoes.

Black Friday turned into a sorta explosion of Christmas shopping but I did pick up Assassins Creed: Revelations and Rage ($35 & $30) on the cheap during my excursion (both going into backlog hell)

Also missed out on the first lighting deal for Batman: AC on Amazon Thursday night but grabbed it in round two on Friday. It was a 9:15pm EST start, set my phone alarm for 9:10pm, load up the amazon app on the iphone, refresh it at 9:15 on the mark.... 89% Sold Out...Add to Cart...one click check out...back to deals...Sold Out...9:16pm. WTF
You still overpayed for Rage.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 1, 2011, 12:13 PM

You still overpayed for Rage.
Maybe i did. My new philosophy on games is, unless there is a $20 credit on Amazon $30-$40 is my new buying price so i don't really mind.

The true issue isn't how much I payed, its how my gaming philosophy has changed over the past 3 years. 3 years ago, I couldn't afford all the games i wanted to play (but had all the time in the world to play them), now (not trying to be pretentious) I can afford to buy almost every game I want (but have almost ZERO time to play them).

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 1, 2011, 12:28 PM

Richard Garriott predicts the death of consoles as a gaming medium | Massively
PCs didn't kill Consoles in 90s, Consoles didn't kill PCs in the 2000s. Ain't gonna happen.

Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies coming to iOS on December 1 | Joystiq
There you go Zombie whores.

Rumor: The Last Guardian lead Fumito Ueda quits Sony, working as freelancer to complete game | Joystiq
Apparently, The Last Guardian creative lead and Team Ico head Fumito Ueda has quit Sony and is working on Team Ico's latest project as a freelancer. Eurogamer is reporting as much, saying that Ueda's departure from the team has accentuated the ever-growing delay of the project's launch.

The Last Guardian was pushed out of a "holiday 2011" release window earlier this year, and the development team were said to be moving offices this past summer, getting up close and personal with SCE's main HQ. Requests to Sony for comment have gone unreturned as of publishing.

Update: A Sony rep told Joystiq, "Sony doesn't comment on rumors or speculation."
El-oh-el

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 1, 2011, 12:29 PM

(but have almost ZERO time to play them).
You're not trying hard enough.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 2, 2011, 11:21 AM

Gamasutra - News - Tetris Enters The Subscription Age With New iOS Version
EA Mobile and The Tetris Company have launched a new Tetris game for iOS devices, which features a paid subscription option for accessing exclusive content and accelerating players' rank progress.
Finally! If there's one thing tetris has been missing all these years, it's a subscription model.

From NeoGAF:
Bought a *new* copy of NFS Hot Pursuit - online code expired?
It's written in the disclaimer/policy for every game and every publisher. Some companies make sure they expire while others don't. In the end, you can't say or do shit cause it's there in fine print. Welcome to shitty DRM.

I don't care how shitty Elite is, Activision has nothing on EA now. That. Is. Garbage.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 2, 2011, 04:36 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2011, 11:21 AM

Xbox 360 dashboard update tries to stop you suing MS -Destructoid
Following in the sleazy footsteps of Sony and Electronic Arts, Microsoft has become the latest company to restrain one of the few legal recourses available to screwed customers. Seizing upon the opportunity to cram some sly restrictions into its new Xbox 360 dashboard, the updated terms and services mean you can no longer sue Microsoft.
Like I said a few months ago, it was only a matter of time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2011, 04:39 PM

EA: Online Pass can expire for new-game purchases, but it shouldn't | Joystiq
we asked an EA Advisor for clarification on its Online Pass expiration policy.

EA's Online Pass can indeed expire for some new games, blocking buyers out of online content until they download a new pass or attain one from EA directly, EA confirmed to Joystiq. As a rule, no Online Pass should expire, but a few titles will have a time limit on their use, even for new purchases, EA said. Dragon Age 2, for example, has an Online Pass that expires on March 31, 2012, according to EA's EULA description. Re-downloading or getting a new Pass is free, EA said.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 05:32 PM

Absolutely un-freaking-believable. The world is dying.

On the positive side, I like the new XBL dashboard. It seems to be a cross between Microsoft's new Metro interface and Sony's XMB navigation bar. Huge improvement, IMHO. The only issue is that some things seem more difficult to find.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2011, 05:34 PM

I love how in the follow up they say no passes should expire, yet here we have two examples of this years titles that do just that.

Cognitive dissonance.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2011, 05:37 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 05:51 PM

Bah ha

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2011, 07:46 PM

Microsoft has released an official xbox live app for iOS.

Microsoft posts official Xbox Live iOS app, WP7 Companion | Electronista
( Last edited by Stogieman; Dec 7, 2011 at 08:05 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2011, 08:28 PM

Well, there's a surprised. Downloaded, and replacing 360 Live.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2011, 12:20 PM

Shigeru Miyamoto 'retiring from current position' at Nintendo, working on smaller games [update: Nintendo denies] | Joystiq
"I'm not saying that I'm going to retire from game development altogether. What I mean by retiring is, retiring from my current position," Nintendo head of development and long-time game industry figurehead Shigeru Miyamoto told Wired's Game|Life blog in an interview this week. It appears, after a lengthy career spent creating some of the game industry's most popular and important franchises, Miyamoto is altering his role at the company.

Nintendo officially denies Miyamoto's plan to step down within Nintendo | Joystiq
"This is absolutely not true," a Nintendo spokesperson told Reuters. "There seems to have been a misunderstanding. He has said all along that he wants to train the younger generation." Then, to further clarify the message, "He has no intention of stepping down. Please do not be concerned." At least, not concerned enough to affect the stock price.

There definitely appears to be a "misunderstanding," with Nintendo issuing a denial of Miyamoto's own quotes. We suspect there's currently a "misunderstanding" between Miyamoto, who wants to transition away from supervising massive projects, and Nintendo, who wants to put his name on every game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2011, 04:55 PM

Play Batman: Arkham City, L.A. Noire and other AAA Games on Your iPad
But OnLive's latest feat may be its most impressive, as it turns iPhones, iPads, Kindle Fires and a slew of other smartphones into places where you can play the latest blockbuster games. The video above shows off OnLive's app and new Universal OnLive Controller in action as I play Trine and Batman: Arkham City over the wifi connection at Kotaku Tower. What I can't show yet is L.A. Noire. OnLive's integrating touch controls for many of the games they offer, including Rockstar's hit detective release. The tweaking's still happening to make L.A. Noire playable via fingertips, but it will work with a controller when it hits the OnLive marketplace.

Wave Hello: Microsoft’s Requiring Kinect Functionality for All Future Apps Built for Xbox 360
Microsoft told me that anyone looking to have their content or experiences on the Xbox will need to make sure that users will be able to navigate with gestures or voice. A year ago, this wasn't a requirement, just a cool added feature. But, with the success of Kinect, Microsoft's trying to make ensure that its usage in every aspect of the console. But, Microsoft's helping developers making apps with tools to help index search terms for voice recognition and motion controls. What they want to happen is to have a standard for voice search across a multiple partner pipeline, one that will spread out across PCs, Windows Phones and other devices Microsoft will power moving forward. The fact that Kinect plays a big part of that just reflects how important the device has already become for Microsoft

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 9, 2011, 03:39 AM

I recently download some XBLA games during the Black Friday weekend. Anyone here play Super Meat Boy? Holy smokes, talk about an addictive and challenging side scroller! Damn well worth the $5! Highly recommend if you don't have it!

BTW, Best Buy online had a 1 day special on Duke Nukem Forver for $5 today. No matter how bad the game is, that is a good deal!

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2011, 11:30 AM

Yeah, I think I'll be buying a Kinect for my Xbox this month. I'm just watching for a good deal at Futureshop - I have a gift card to use. I see it comes with 3 games - 1 or 2 that look good. The Gunstringer game looks good. The fruit ninja might be good.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2011, 05:00 PM

November NPD: A new record, with Xbox 360 joined by MW3 and Skyrim on top (Update 2: Sony PR added) | Joystiq

1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
2 Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (360, PS3, PC)
3 Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)
4 Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
5 Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360)
6 Madden NFL 12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2)
7 Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS3)
8 Saints Row: The Third (360, PS3, PC)
9 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (WII)
10 Batman: Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)

360 - 1.7 Million (+24%)
PS3 - ~900K (+70%)
WII - 860k (-32%)
3DS - 795k
NDS - 350k (-77%)

3DS has passed NDS first year sales already. PS3 is not bad. Still, not great when you're struggling to beat the system everyone considers dead (albeit in respect to its previous crushing sales). The 360's sales are unprecedented for a console so late in it's lifecycle. Crazy.

With all the talk of kinect I had a realization: When was the last time you heard the PS Move mentioned? Not since Killzone 3 (May?) as far as I can remember.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2011, 06:26 PM

Resistance 3 featured it heavily in their commercial push, but no one cares about the Move.

Nobody.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2011, 11:14 AM

Gamasutra - News - Judge Dismisses PlayStation 3 'Other OS' Removal Class Action Suit
Seeborg concluded, "The dismay and frustration at least some PS3 owners likely experienced when Sony made the decision to limit access to the PSN service to those who were willing to disable the Other OS feature on their machines was no doubt genuine and understandable."

"As a matter of providing customer satisfaction and building loyalty, it may have been questionable. As a legal matter, however, plaintiffs have failed to allege facts or to articulate a theory on which Sony may be held liable." Seeborg will issue a separate judgment at a later date.

PSA: Battlefield 3's 'Back to Karkand' now on PC, Xbox 360 | Joystiq
"Back to Karkand" is free for those who picked up the "Limited Edition" version of BF3 at launch -- otherwise it's $15 (the standard for FPS map packs).

The mega Xbox 360 download doesn't just add Karkand maps, however, as there's also a ginormous list of changes made to single player, multiplayer and Battlefield 3's general balance. Check it out after the break.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater HD VGA 2011 teaser takes us back | Joystiq

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2011, 12:30 PM

1 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
4 Assassin's Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
8 Saints Row: The Third (360, PS3, PC)
The 2 games I bought this season, and the third I'm going to buy after Christmas (Assassin's Creed: Revelations), show up on the list. Nice.

That should keep me busy to March (or more) when Mass Effect 3 comes out.
( Last edited by Leonard; Dec 14, 2011 at 12:36 PM. )
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2011, 04:41 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2011, 05:19 PM

Worst article of the year?
How To Hire an In-Game Bodyguard, and Why You Should
It was an odd-experience, meeting virtually a person you paid real cash in the real world to play with. It also took me a bit of time to get used to the idea of having someone so fixated with protecting and healing me. Good to his word, Smith jumped between my avatar and approaching bullets more times than I could remember. When he didn't die for me, by accident or fluke, he was apologetic. As we played he kept up a constant patter of techniques and tips. Stay aware of your surroundings, he kept telling me. Know your weapon and its limits. Talk to your squad, he said.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2011, 05:51 PM

Bodyguard or babysitter?

LOL! Sacrificial teammate? That's probably what I'd call it.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2011, 05:10 PM

Xbox Live's Major Nelson � LIVE Activity for week of December 5th
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Skyrim
Battlefield 3
FIFA 12
Modern Warfare 2
Halo: Reach
Gears of War 3
Madden NFL 12
GTA IV
Saints Row: The Third
Forza Motorsport 4
Assassin’s Creed Revelations
NBA 2K12
NHL12
FIFA Soccer 11
Batman: Arkham City
Halo 3
NCAA Football 12
Call of Duty 4

BLAO! Hello Skyrim, welcome to the Top 3. MW2 stuffs Reach. GTA IV still higher than Saints Row 3. WaW is completely off the list for the first time I can remember.

Redbox reveals top rentals of 2011 | Joystiq

No love for the PS3. Smurfs?!

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 15, 2011, 08:32 PM

Gears of War 3 below Reach? didn't expect that.

Anyone remember where GoW2 ranked up in its "prime"?

Forum Links
Forum Rules