Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Get a Radeon 9800 Pro if you're gonna run dual displays with your Power Mac G5

Get a Radeon 9800 Pro if you're gonna run dual displays with your Power Mac G5
Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 04:39 PM

Well, using 22" and 23" Cinema Displays anyways. See here:

The OEM Radeon 9800 Pro card came in today and I didn't waste any time in replacing the Radeon 9600 that was in the G5.

I'm running two Cinema Displays: a 23" and a 22" Cinema Display.

As far as performance improvements go, Expos� is *a lot* smoother with 128MB of memory on the 9800 Pro. I haven't played with it enough to see where I start saturating 128MB but so far there's definitely a performance improvement.
( Last edited by Eug; Feb 18, 2004 at 06:02 PM. )

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 04:44 PM

Oh god screw that. I wouldn't spend that cash on a Video card to make Expose smoother when it is already smooth as silk. Not to mention people are bitching up a storm saying how loud that card is.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}
Religions are like farts: yours is good, the others always stink.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Oh god screw that. I wouldn't spend that cash on a Video card to make Expose smoother when it is already smooth as silk. Not to mention people are bitching up a storm saying how loud that card is.
It's only smooth as silk for you because you have a single Cinema Display.

Turias
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 04:50 PM

Originally posted by Immortal K-Mart Employee:
Ok, screw the enhancements for Expose, but it's a much better card for the hard-core gamer.

starman
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 04:57 PM

A hardcore gamer wouldn't be using a Mac

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by starman:
A hardcore gamer wouldn't be using a Mac
The guy who posted this is a hard core gamer.

(Although he uses a PC for his gaming. )

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Feb 18, 2004, 05:50 PM

odd. My powerbook has a radeon 9600 mobile and expose is fine when running dual displays - my 15" laptop display as well as my 19" CRT.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2004, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
odd. My powerbook has a radeon 9600 mobile and expose is fine when running dual displays - my 15" laptop display as well as my 19" CRT.
Well, the resolution may not be high enough, or you aren't keeping enough windows open. You've got 1280x854 plus whatever you're running on the CRT.

He's running 23" 1920x1200 and 22" 1600x1024 screens together, with a bazillion windows open.

I run a TiBook with a Radeon 9000 64 MB, and my machine will slow down for Expos� when I'm running an external 1280x1024 LCD spanned with my 1280x854 screen. I didn't think it would slow down with 64 MB but it does.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Ya I know but to drop $500 and have that loud as hell fan and the first thing you do it talk about Expose is sorta retarded.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

osxisfun
Feb 18, 2004, 07:31 PM

>It's only smooth as silk for you because you have a single Cinema Display.

Yep.

I own a dual 2 gig with dual apple 20" lcds (one adc, one dvi) and i CAN and DO notice a slowdown in expose when i have LOTS of windows open.This (more vram) is what i was hoping to here. Always thought it was that.

In the mean time (since i have not decided if i want to upgrade my card) i have been using codetek's virtual screen manager...

veryyyyyyy nice...

also, since i have 3 workspaces. i tend to have fewer windows open PER workspace.

net result. faster expos� since i have fewer windows open.

Immortal K-Mart Employee
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2004, 08:10 PM

Originally posted by osxisfun:

I own a dual 2 gig with dual apple 20" lcds (one adc, one dvi) and i CAN and DO notice a slowdown in expose when i have LOTS of windows open.This (more vram) is what i was hoping to here. Always thought it was that.
Actually the speed never changes, it is the framerate. And for $500 and lots of noise you can cure that.

{v2.3 Now Jesus free}

osxisfun
Feb 18, 2004, 08:44 PM

same thing.visually things stop being smooth.a film running at 2 frames per second will have dozens in the audience yelling "why is the film runnning so slow?"

like i said Virtual screen is working out great so far. i wish they would sell a 9600 with more vram. solve both the problems without a fan.

Dudaev's Corpse
Banned
Location: Spread across a 5-kilometre radius somewhere in Chechnya, after the Russian apostates struck me down with a satphone-seeking missile
Feb 18, 2004, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
I don't have even one cinema display.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 18, 2004, 10:56 PM

Before I purchased my dual G5 from the Apple Online Store I stopped into my local Apple Retail Store to play with it & ask a few questions.
I asked the Mac expert which video card I should get and his first question to me was if I was going to use dual displays. At the time I wasn't sure & he explained to me that the ATI 9800 Pro card would be advantagious in a dual display setup.
I decided to get the 9800 Pro and I'm using a dual 23" and 20" display. They both perform beautifully with no performace bottleneck.

To be honest I have no idea if there would be a difference between the 9600 Pro & 9800 Pro but it's interesting that his main reason for getting the 9800 Pro was in his opinion the performance benefit. of a dual display setup.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2004, 06:21 AM

Isn't the Radeon 9800 XT available already? It is more pwerful than the 9800 Pro.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Feb 19, 2004, 07:43 AM

I think if you have enough money for TWO Cinema displays, you can probably afford to add a couple hundred bucks for a better video card. But unless you're in that situation, there's not much need for the 9800 Pro unless you're a gamer (in which case you should have a PC or a console).

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

michelin
Senior User
Feb 19, 2004, 06:49 PM

From who do I order the OEM 9800 PRO for my G5 1.8 DP. At the local Apple store they dont have them and at the Apple website and dont see any link to order one.

djohnson
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2004, 02:11 AM

michelin, I think you need to go through MacMall or somewhere like that.

When I get my G5 one of these years... I am getting top line everything but ram. This includes video card, no matter the noise! I figure by the time I actually get one...the dual 3Ghz G5 machines with some cool video card will be out. $300 down and $5000 more to go :-D

OT: Anyone want my student loans?

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by Turias:
Ok, screw the enhancements for Expose, but it's a much better card for the hard-core gamer.
Hardcore gamers don't use macs to play games.

dantley
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2004, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by voodoo:
Isn't the Radeon 9800 XT available already? It is more pwerful than the 9800 Pro.
It is only available for PCs. I have one in my gaming rig and it kicks ass.

rhogue islander
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2004, 04:51 PM

I do some hard core gaming on my Dual G5 w/ 9800 Pro and it kicks ass (I'm an old Quake3 nut).

However, I buy and use most games on my PC, but only because more are available for PC and they are usually priced lower to boot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules