Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 156)
climber
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2008, 11:45 AM

There is a simple way for a thread to die. Stop posting in it. Otherwise quite whining about it, especially when you have nothing to add.

Blu-Ray is a bit more expensive right now due to the laws of supply and demand. Since the end of HD-DVD the sales of blu have increased substantially. The increase in sales has resulted in a lot of units in short supply and backordered. It would be a little silly for them to put those players on sale right now. Once they get caught up and availability is better, prices will again begin to drop.
climber

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
On the plus side, I just bought another HD-DVD movie over the weekend, at a really nice price. I guess that's going to go on for some time, as inventories are depleted.

Yep, I've bought about 5 HD-DVDs in the past week or two. There are some great sales going on. I'm working on acquiring all the HD-DVDs that are considered "Top-Tier" demo material.

One thing that sucks though is the 5 free HD-DVDs from Toshiba. I sent in two forms for a total of 10 HD-DVDs for the 2 HD-DVDs players I bought after "The Announcement". First hand reports on AVS are that Toshiba is substituting practically all of the movies on the form with other movies, most of them complete crap.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Yep, I've bought about 5 HD-DVDs in the past week or two. There are some great sales going on. I'm working on acquiring all the HD-DVDs that are considered "Top-Tier" demo material.
You guys are bonkers. 2-5 years from now when BR and downloadables rule supreme you guys are always going to have to keep this laserdisc/HD-DVD player around just to watch a selection of movies you got on sale. Unless you are happy with the selection of movies out now you are going to want a BR player in the future to play everything else.

Ah well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2008, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
There is a simple way for a thread to die. Stop posting in it. Otherwise quite whining about it, especially when you have nothing to add.

Blu-Ray is a bit more expensive right now due to the laws of supply and demand. Since the end of HD-DVD the sales of blu have increased substantially. The increase in sales has resulted in a lot of units in short supply and backordered. It would be a little silly for them to put those players on sale right now. Once they get caught up and availability is better, prices will again begin to drop.
New thread posted. Let this one die.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...gh-def-thread/

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 12:30 PM

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
You guys are bonkers. 2-5 years from now when BR and downloadables rule supreme you guys are always going to have to keep this laserdisc/HD-DVD player around just to watch a selection of movies you got on sale. Unless you are happy with the selection of movies out now you are going to want a BR player in the future to play everything else.

Ah well.
Already have a Blu-ray player to play everything else. Besides, I don't trust that the Blu-ray versions of the movies I got on HD-DVD will be of the same quality as the HD-DVD version.

Anyway, we kept a VHS player for over 10 years after we started getting DVDs to play VHS movies on while we slowly upgraded them to DVD. No difference here really.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Besides, I don't trust that the Blu-ray versions of the movies I got on HD-DVD will be of the same quality as the HD-DVD version.
Why is that?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 8, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Oh come now, do you really think that this is a thread worth keeping? It's mostly bickering about a format war. Let. It. Die.

And duh, no, it's not hard to click "last page", but WHERE DO YOU TELL PEOPLE TO START READING?

"Hi and welcome to the old-but-new HD thread which was really about the HD-DVD/BR War. Please start reading on page 152. Well, if you changed your settings to have a different number of pages per thread than it won't be 152"

Get it?
I don't really see the problem. People didn't need to be told where to start reading the thread before, or any of the other megathreads around. I think most newcomers simply read the last few pages of a big thread and don't bother trying to read the thousands of messages that came before. But if you people want an "offical" thread, they can post in yours and leave this one to die.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 23, 2008, 03:17 PM

there are specials left and right for hd-dvds. the cheapos are $10-12 a piece. do you think i should grab a few?? depends on the movie i guess. any recommendations on which i should buy over others?

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 23, 2008, 06:05 PM

Warner to release 'Be Kind Rewind' on BD before DVD.

Planned obsolescence, baby. Better retitle the thread Blu-ray vs. DVD.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 10:38 AM

TheStar.com | Business | Blu-ray waits for spoils of format wars

Though neither Blu-ray nor HD DVD thrived last year, analysts pinned the low sales on consumers who were reluctant to spend money on a new technology that might turn out to be the loser in the competition.

But even without competition, Blu-ray is still struggling, according to some recent sales figures. Research firm NPD Group says sales of Blu-ray players dropped 40 per cent from January to February.

The next month, sales rose 2 per cent.

Blu-ray Disc Association spokesperson Andy Parsons says the NPD numbers are misleading because they demonstrate a weakness in player availability, not in consumer interest. No manufacturer or retailer expected a quick, decisive end to the format war, so none had a deep supply of the players on hand when it became clear that Blu-ray had won.

"There was a sudden increase in demand when there was a sudden decrease in supply."

Brian Lucas, a spokesperson for Best Buy, agrees.

"When the format war ended, we didn't do as much promotion around (Blu-ray) as we would've liked," Lucas says. "We didn't want to send people into stores where there wouldn't be players."

He that player supply has been improving.

Other research doesn't make the coming months look much more promising for the young format. A recent Harris Poll found that only 9 per cent of consumers who don't own a Blu-ray player have an interest in buying one during the next year.

"I think people are price sensitive," says Joan Barten Kline, vice-president of the interactive media and entertainment division at Harris. She says she thinks the actual number of buyers will be below even that 9 per cent figure.

Get the frackin' price down people.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 10:40 AM

I'm glad you bumped this thread. I've been wondering if there's been a BR player released yet that that's better than the PS3.

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 10:42 AM

Has anyone bought a BluRay with the Digital Copy (that lets you download it on your computer/iPod)?
Any problems using it?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I'm glad you bumped this thread. I've been wondering if there's been a BR player released yet that that's better than the PS3.
There is not, AFAIK. Furthermore, the higher end BR players cost more than the PS3. A sad state of affairs.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 10:48 AM

Can someone lock this thread, please? The war's over and we have another thread.

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...igh-def-thread

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 10:49 AM

I've yet to buy a Blu-Ray movie. Dunno why, I've just been very disinterested since the format war ended. I think having both formats added a bit more of a reason to buy movies, and now I just can't seem to care enough to spend $25 on a movie when the DVD is ~$10.

Although I think my first BD purchase may be Iron Man. That one I'm going to want in HD.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 10:50 AM

Looks like I'll be on the sidelines a while longer.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I've yet to buy a Blu-Ray movie. Dunno why, I've just been very disinterested since the format war ended. I think having both formats added a bit more of a reason to buy movies, and now I just can't seem to care enough to spend $25 on a movie when the DVD is ~$10.

Although I think my first BD purchase may be Iron Man. That one I'm going to want in HD.
You know, with all the new stuff constantly coming out, and the fact that I can rent it on netflix anytime I want I see little reason to buy movies, BR or otherwise.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 11:09 AM

To each his own. I'm loving HD movies.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 11:15 AM

I think its far easier to avoid the HD movies if you don't have HD programing. God knows just watching a DVD on my 360 compared to regular cable feels like an upgrade.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 11:26 AM

I've been ripping all my DVDs to a server and watching them via my AppleTV. They look fantastic. Not being able to rip Blu-Rays will probably keep me from buying too many.

In fact, I now love the Combo HD DVD discs I bought, as I was able to rip all of those movies to my aTV server.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 11:30 AM

I've pretty much stopped buying movies altogether. I think the novelty of ownership wore off. I have 250 movies on my shelf, and I never watch any of them.

The reasons I have stopped are as follows...

1. The format war confusion, and my current lack of a Blu-ray player.
2. I already own just about every movie I would want.
3. Like I said, the novelty wore off.
4. Netflix and TiVo

Also, there was always this thought in my head, when I bought a movie... that I was buying this movie forever. I know that is a pretty silly thing to believe... but now with seeing Blu-ray, it makes me think that it's not really worth investing a lot of money in any format. Nothing is really forever, and it's not like it's ever going to be difficult to find things to watch in whatever format is the current king.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 12:13 PM

Rumors abound that Toshiba may be releasing a new HD-DVD format that's backwards compatible on SD-DVD players (and not via one layer being SD-DVD.)

Sounds far fetched to me, but I wouldn't mind. Blu-Ray is too damn expensive.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 12:14 PM

I've been ripping all my DVDs to a server and watching them via my AppleTV. They look fantastic. Not being able to rip Blu-Rays will probably keep me from buying too many.
Some of them will have managed copy (hopefully).

In fact, I now love the Combo HD DVD discs I bought, as I was able to rip all of those movies to my aTV server.
Yes it's great. I like the idea of combo discs. However I disliked paying more for them. I didn't have any problems with combo disc quality, but others did. The discs didn't work well. ie. The idea was a good one, but if the implementation wasn't (at least for other people).

I think its far easier to avoid the HD movies if you don't have HD programing. God knows just watching a DVD on my 360 compared to regular cable feels like an upgrade.
What kind of TV? Cuz I find my 360 to be a lousy DVD upscaler for my HD projector.

Anyways, I still haven't watched all of my HD DVDs because I've had too much $@#%^* work to do in the evenings lately, and with the free time I do have for watching stuff, I spend a fair amount of it watching HD on TV. Basically this means I'm in no rush to buy a Blu-ray player either. I will buy one, but I'll stick to the sidelines for now, until they get some half decent machines for $200ish on the market.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What kind of TV? Cuz I find my 360 to be a lousy DVD upscaler for my HD projector.
720p plasma.
SD programming looks better than the 360 on the projector?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 12:21 PM

Did anyone seriously think that BD players would get cheaper after the competition was gone ?

This was a lose-lose proposition for the consumer from the get go: either you had some competition, holding the prices in check, but having to live with format uncertainties, or you just had pay up for supporting a monopoly.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 12:23 PM

720p plasma.
SD programming looks better than the 360 on the projector?
No, but HD programming looks way better. SD programming and DVD from the 360 both look lousy on my projector.

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Did anyone seriously think that BD players would get cheaper after the competition was gone ?
Yes, but not immediately. I was faintly hoping for summer 2008, but that doesn't seem to be happening either, at least not in a significant way. The question though is if they'll be able to do something significant by November. Cuz if they don't, I think consumers will just say frack it and stick with upscaling DVD. I'm optimistic pricing will be reasonable for Xmas though.

What did really annoy me though was the fact they raised prices somewhat on some stuff, after the death of HD DVD.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 12:25 PM

I'm not sure you caught the meaning of my original post then. Do you expect an upscaled DVD on a 360 to look worse than SD programming in general or because of the generally accepted inferiority of its upscaling?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 12:34 PM

I'm not sure you caught the meaning of my original post then. Do you expect an upscaled DVD on a 360 to look worse than SD programming in general or because of the generally accepted inferiority of its upscaling?
That's just it. I think DVD looks bad on 360 on the projector. I also think SD programming looks bad on the projector (90" diagonal image). Which is better? Well, it depends on the channel. Many look much worse than the 360 with DVD, but a few actually sometimes look a bit better, depending on the source material (and the DVD I'm comparing), if the channel is a digital SD one that is. Therefore I usually watch DVD on my other 42" LCD TV, which has reasonably good DVD upscaler (actually an HD DVD player) hooked up to it. I also generally watch SD TV on the same 42 incher.

When I go to the projector, I usually watch HD programming or HD DVD (but will occasionally watch SD programming or DVD).

Now if your plasma is say 50" and you're sitting say 10' back, then DVD on that machine may look comparatively OK.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 01:07 PM

Some of them will have managed copy (hopefully).
Mac compatible? Full resolution? Ability to put it on an iPhone?

If so, fantastic. If not I'd rather keep ripping my DVDs.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2008, 01:23 PM

OK, fair enough. I think it should be noted that I usually use the zoom feature over just (unless I'm watching NBA), just because I can't handle the distortion. The difference between the 360 and cable seems to be the artifacting is less intense, and laughably, sharper on the DVDs.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jun 2, 2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
I've been ripping all my DVDs to a server and watching them via my AppleTV.
I have to admit, there's a certain appeal to that. My girlfriend loves the "on demand" nature of our DVR and would probably love just clicking at the AppleTV and having access to all our movies. We have probably 300 or more DVDs and Blu-rays on our shelf, but she still prefers watching a movie on cable/DVR if available even when we have the title in our collection. She cites the slow startup and load time of our first-generation player and even our Oppo DVD upscaler.

But is the AppleTV still at 720p? If so, I'll wait until it hits 1080p upconversion.

Originally Posted by jokell82
Big blockbusters, FX heavy action flicks and historical epics are definite must sees in hi def, even if you don't have the largest HD flatscreen in the world.

Originally Posted by paul w
the fact that I can rent it on netflix anytime I want I see little reason to buy movies, BR or otherwise.
Except for the fact that new releases through Netflix, and even some popular independent titles, almost invariable list anywhere from a "Short Wait" to "Very Long Wait". Out of the top 10 movies I want to see most through Netflix and that are on my queue, half of them have wait times and have been that way for weeks. Netflix is a cheap way to catch up on movies I missed in the theaters or preview movies to decide if I want to buy it, but for the movies that I know I want to rewatch at least a few times more, I buy.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 02:21 PM

Yeah, Iron Man would rock on BD, especially since I haven't seen it yet. Maybe I'll get to see it before it leaves the theatres, but I haven't had the time lately.

If I don't see it in the theatre, I'll just have to hope that BD players drop significantly in price by the time Iron Man comes out.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2008, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul View Post
Except for the fact that new releases through Netflix, and even some popular independent titles, almost invariable list anywhere from a "Short Wait" to "Very Long Wait". Out of the top 10 movies I want to see most through Netflix and that are on my queue, half of them have wait times and have been that way for weeks. Netflix is a cheap way to catch up on movies I missed in the theaters or preview movies to decide if I want to buy it, but for the movies that I know I want to rewatch at least a few times more, I buy.
Huh, this has never happened to me. I rent all kinds of stuff, old new, tv shows, movies... Though, if it did, I'd be annoyed. As it stands I don't really have another blu-ray rental option. My local brick and mortar place has just started stocking them, they have like 4.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 2, 2008, 02:28 PM

Big blockbusters, FX heavy action flicks and historical epics are definite must sees in hi def, even if you don't have the largest HD flatscreen in the world.
Yeah, I actually half enjoyed 30 days of night as it looked so nice in hd.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 02:55 PM

I have to admit, there's a certain appeal to that. My girlfriend loves the "on demand" nature of our DVR and would probably love just clicking at the AppleTV and having access to all our movies. We have probably 300 or more DVDs and Blu-rays on our shelf, but she still prefers watching a movie on cable/DVR if available even when we have the title in our collection. She cites the slow startup and load time of our first-generation player and even our Oppo DVD upscaler.

But is the AppleTV still at 720p? If so, I'll wait until it hits 1080p upconversion.
Yeah I have about 300 movies as well, and I'm working through ripping them all. It's nice to be able to just scroll through a list and play one, rather than using the discs. And it helps the discs last longer too. Plus I can't tell the difference between the ripped movie and the original DVD.

And you wouldn't be playing any 1080p content on the AppleTV, so why do you care if it does the upconversion? The TV you use would probably have a better scaler anyway.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 05:47 PM

I can't believe how few movies I am buying in BR. Not that there is much wrong with them but I have 400 DVD's and most of them look more than good enough.

The only thing I really want is a couple movies here and there and BSG.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 05:52 PM

My scifi collection is gonna be odd.

BSG Season 1 on HD DVD, rest on BD.
Star Trek Season on HD DVD (and DVD), rest on BD (with no included DVD )

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2008, 06:38 PM

It was my impression that Seasons 2 & 3 would be conventional DVDs... I hope I'm wrong in that.

I have been picking up the odd HD-DVD title here and there as they've shown up, but it's looking very much like I'll have to get a BD player eventually. And I'm afraid to even look at the prices anymore, since Sony did things wrong and upped the prices of their players after Toshiba offed HD-DVD...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2008, 07:29 PM

What makes you think the Trek sets are going to be released on Blu-ray? Season 2 is DVD and there's every indication that Season 3 will be as well.

And there hasn't been even a whisper of BSG on Blu either.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
What makes you think the Trek sets are going to be released on Blu-ray? Season 2 is DVD and there's every indication that Season 3 will be as well.

Oh as if they wont.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
It was my impression that Seasons 2 & 3 would be conventional DVDs... I hope I'm wrong in that.

I have been picking up the odd HD-DVD title here and there as they've shown up, but it's looking very much like I'll have to get a BD player eventually. And I'm afraid to even look at the prices anymore, since Sony did things wrong and upped the prices of their players after Toshiba offed HD-DVD...
Aye. I'm just going to get a PS3 sometime this year, hopefully.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 2, 2008, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Aye. I'm just going to get a PS3 sometime this year, hopefully.
I'm not a gamer at all, so a PS3 isn't in my plans. At least not as a console. If the Blu-Ray player prices keep doing what I think they are, I might just buy a fancy BR player that has some neat gaming applications too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2008, 09:53 PM

Sony is evil. Don't do it Glenn!
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 10:24 PM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 10:24 PM

Well, if it's DVD only, I'm much less likely to buy. It depends on pricing though. If it means waiting, so be it.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
How on earth is that 'crazy'?

As a consumer, I say bring it on. Anything that offers an upgrade over DVD without the wallet hit of Blu-ray is something that many, many consumers will love.

And if it will carry the same studio backing as DVD (and there's no reason to think it wouldn't), I'm sure it'll be successful. After all, it's the divided studios that eventually lead to the failure of HD DVD, not the technology itself.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2008, 11:12 PM

Could this not just be a supercharged upscaling DVD player (eg. with a cut down version of Cell)?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 2, 2008, 11:28 PM

I doubt it.

Toshiba knows that even though studio division was the main factor behind the failure of HD DVD, lack of CE support was a definite runner up. So I doubt they're going to try to push another hardware model.

I personally think it'll be an extension to the DVD format that will provide a richer experience in conjunction with the upconverting hardware that has already been on the market for quite some time. Take Superbit as an example of what to expect.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2008, 11:30 PM

How on earth is that 'crazy'?

As a consumer, I say bring it on. Anything that offers an upgrade over DVD without the wallet hit of Blu-ray is something that many, many consumers will love.

And if it will carry the same studio backing as DVD (and there's no reason to think it wouldn't), I'm sure it'll be successful. After all, it's the divided studios that eventually lead to the failure of HD DVD, not the technology itself.
By the time some new format war gets underway consumers won't care anymore.

Forum Links
Forum Rules