Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Should I sell my iPad now/soon?

Should I sell my iPad now/soon?
Andrew88088
Jan 8, 2011, 12:51 AM

I have a 16 GB WiFi. Do you think there will be a drastic drop in resale value once the 2nd revision is announced? I kind of feel like I should get ready to unload it before the announcement to get as much as I can for it. Thoughts?
( Last edited by Andrew88088; Jan 8, 2011 at 01:00 AM. )

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2011, 02:22 AM

SELL! I'll give you $100 for that obsolete piece of junk.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2011, 03:12 AM

Has the announcement even been announced? For all we know, Steve would verily spite bloggers and leakers, and delay the iPad by 6 months. Apple can afford to do that because the competition is so far behind.

Besides, 4.2 was just introduced to iPad users. It would be a shame if they didn't savor it a little, while it's the best mobile experience in town. Most people expressed that it was akin to getting a new iPad.

Also, developers haven't had a full season of ios 4 ipad to properly fill the landscape.

Andrew88088  (op)
Jan 8, 2011, 03:17 AM

That's true. I guess with all the rumors and now the sightings of the 2 form factor at CES, I've convinced myself that it'll be soon. I'll probably wait for the announcement before I do anything.

aepple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2011, 08:24 AM

Why people pay more money on Ebay for iPads they can get cheaper at the apple store is beyond me. Technology devices become obsolete quick, and their definitely not a money maker after 6 months, they just don't hold their value, the capabilities and updates fade out the old OS on old devices.

A iPad today... will always be what it is, and work, but new ipads will do much more with a better OS and capabilities, and that's what the public wants, more and better.

Five years from now your WiFi iPad will work, just like a Razor cell phone.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2011, 09:15 AM

The answer is unlimited 3g.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2011, 12:21 PM

I know the first iPad came out in April because that's when it was ready, but I have to think that eventually Apple is going to want to move the yearly iPad updates to sometime right before Christmas... perhaps refreshing the iPods and the iPad at the same event every year to build hype for holiday shopping season.

As iPods become less important in the grand scheme of thing (they already are) and iPads more important, it makes more sense to put the iPad right out in front for the holidays. Launching early in the year seems silly to me.

If they come out with a new one really soon, they could bump it right before the holidays again this year and change the upgrade cycle.

This is all just me talking out of my ass, but it makes sense to me.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

freudling
Banned
Jan 8, 2011, 03:15 PM

It will drop in price after the iPad 2. Nobody is going to want an iPad 1 anymore. Assuming thinner, lighter, and higher res screen with cameras. So the price will plummet because demand will fall off. I'd say it will drop to $250-300 for a used 16 GB iPad. But then you'll quickly see people selling iPad 2s for less than retail... somehow. Like people who get them as gifts and then sell on craigslist, etc.

That will hurt iPad 1's value even more.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2011, 09:03 PM

Why bother getting a rev 2 iPad when it's value will plummet with the announcement of the rev 3 iPad in a couple years.

Andrew88088  (op)
Jan 8, 2011, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Why bother getting a rev 2 iPad when it's value will plummet with the announcement of the rev 3 iPad in a couple years.
Obviously because of the better display it will have. Also, the 256MB of RAM is definitely felt now with the upgrade to iOS 4.2. It's not quite as smooth as it used to be, in my experience, anyway.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2011, 12:24 AM

Just like the advice we give to everyone here: if you need it now, get it now. If not, wait until you need one.
With that out of the way, I have never met anyone who needed an iPad.

And to the original poster: SELL NOW, or YESTERDAY!

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2011, 12:38 AM

Should have sold it before Christmas.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Andrew88088 View Post
Obviously because of the better display it will have. Also, the 256MB of RAM is definitely felt now with the upgrade to iOS 4.2. It's not quite as smooth as it used to be, in my experience, anyway.
But with rev 3 only a year or two away you're throwing your money away getting a rev 2 iPad. Inevitably, the rev 3 iPad will have an even better screen, much more memory, faster CPU, etc.

</sarcasm>

Andrew88088  (op)
Jan 10, 2011, 01:12 AM

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm not an idiot. I know that there is always an update around the corner. I have no problems with that. I never said I threw my money away on the original iPad. I was just merely trying to gather opinions on whether I should jump the gun and sell now to maximize the resale value.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2011, 01:57 AM

If you care about getting the 2G iPad and definitely want to sell your existing one for the most you can get, then sure sell now. I personally think the advancements of the next iPad won't be as substantial as many in this thread are making them out to be, but if the upgrade is important to you then definitely sell now before the new models debut.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2011, 03:00 AM

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm not an idiot. I know that there is always an update around the corner. I have no problems with that. I never said I threw my money away on the original iPad. I was just merely trying to gather opinions on whether I should jump the gun and sell now to maximize the resale value.
Why orient on resale value?

Orient on your having fun with it or not.

If you love it and want the next generation, sell it. If you sell it now, you have no iPad until Pad2 comes out.

Always thinking of value and best deal decapitates joy of life.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2011, 03:16 AM

I think you'll be disappointed.

Jack-o-Bower
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2011, 09:20 PM

Well the question at hand is "should you sell your old ipad so you can get the new ipad?" The clear honest answer is yes. The better question you should be asking is "when should you sell your old ipad?" just some food for thought.

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2011, 08:46 AM

Hard to truly answer the question unless we knew the intent of the OP. If the current iPad isn't fulfilling it's intended purpose then sell it and buy a new one (if it's specs are improved enough to warrant the purchase of course). But if the current iPad works fine I see no reason to sell just to buy the shiniest gadget on the block.

I'm still using my 1G iPod Nano because it plays music fine...no need for a replacement but if I did need one I'd define my requirements before I make a decision.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 11, 2011, 09:30 AM

To get the most possible amount of money for your iPad, you should sell now; it's value will only continue drop as we get closer to a possible iPad 2 release date.

But, then you will likely be without your iPad for at least a few months. Right now, any information on when the next version of the iPad will be released is pure speculation. And, you'll be making your decision based entirely on speculation about the new specs, which will likely lead to you being disappointed on at least a few points.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jack-o-Bower View Post
Well the question at hand is "should you sell your old ipad so you can get the new ipad?" The clear honest answer is yes.
the answer to that question is by no means clear, and if iPhone generational upgrades are anything to judge by, it's probably not worth taking the loss unless you need the New and Shiny and have too much money.

Forum Links
Forum Rules