Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Minecraft

Minecraft (Page 52)
cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 16, 2012, 12:47 PM

Looked at the map... Andi, how would you like a stop on the "SkyRail" instead of the tunnel? I'm even considering having a rail line 'spiral up' to the tower, or possibly place a second portal at ground/underground level.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 16, 2012, 12:50 PM

And Blaze, spawn looks so... tiny... on the map. Maybe we should thicken the other walls?

andi*pandi
Jul 17, 2012, 10:28 AM

Skyrail could work fine for me... perhaps we can have a jungle tree elevator going up to it?

I cant see the map very well at work, but it looks like there is a surface road over there... What have you all been up to!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 17, 2012, 10:56 AM

I spent a few in game days exploring today. I went as far south as possible, then headed east once I hit water. Somewhere in there I came upon what looks like the aftermath of a creeper attack.

I threw everything in a chest, I wrote down the coordinates but left them at work...oops.

Then I found a jungle, somewhere in the neighborhood of 2700x73x2700.

And I trained an ocelot:

But then lost him.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2012, 11:21 AM

Lose as in he died? Or you go to far away and he stopped teleporting to you. I found this happens when crossing large bodies of water, they won't teleport it water more than 1 block deep. Though they will teleport into water were there's no air above.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 17, 2012, 12:45 PM

Is there a trick to adding a sign to the map? And how often does it update? I'm just wondering if I'll be able to find the torches I placed during my expedition.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Lose as in he died? Or you go to far away and he stopped teleporting to you. I found this happens when crossing large bodies of water, they won't teleport it water more than 1 block deep. Though they will teleport into water were there's no air above.
I started going through water, and it disappeared.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 17, 2012, 02:06 PM

um, ahem... yea... that pile of loot you see there... was it near a large cliff by chance? (cough cough) and those coordinates you mentioned...

er, ahem... I kinda fell ... about two weeks ago... when exploring... cough....

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 17, 2012, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Skyrail could work fine for me... perhaps we can have a jungle tree elevator going up to it?
I cant see the map very well at work, but it looks like there is a surface road over there... What have you all been up to!
I think the 'surface road' you see is the map's representation of skyrail.

I'll extend it over your way, but be warned... i'm making a loop out of it (one-way travel) so the stop will have two lines.

Right now it's at 200 elevation. you want it lower than that, or one REALLY tall tree?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2012, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I started going through water, and it disappeared.
He may have stopped on the shore behind you. Doubling back may get it back.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2012, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
um, ahem... yea... that pile of loot you see there... was it near a large cliff by chance? (cough cough) and those coordinates you mentioned...
I'll post the coordinates up tomorrow. Some diamond tools, a bunch of clay and clay balls, etc. It was at the bottom of a cliff.

He may have stopped on the shore behind you. Doubling back may get it back.
He was in the water for a while. I spent another couple of days looking for another and didn't find one, so I headed home.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by cycl0pse View Post
Chest is at 1668 x 64 x 3123.

Is there a trick to adding a sign to the map? And how often does it update? I'm just wondering if I'll be able to find the torches I placed during my expedition.
Any idea on these?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 07:01 AM

Well, after saving me from countless creeper attacks, my diamond armor was getting thin, so I decided it was time to get some more diamonds. I spent several hours, two normal diamond picks and half of an Unbreaking III diamond pick in the mines. I ended up with four stacks of iron, five stacks of redstone (I wasn't even going out of my way to pick it up), thirty some gold, and....three diamonds.

I'm doing long lines three high. At the end of a line, I skip two rows and do the same thing the other way. This has gotten me plenty of diamonds in the past. Looks like I'm back to iron armor.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 08:13 AM

What depth are you mining at? y12 always works out great for me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2012, 08:17 AM

I've had bad runs like Laminar at y12. In fact, most of my mining experiences in the new world were on par with that.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
What depth are you mining at?  y12 always works out great for me.
Yep, y12. I managed to get about a full stack of diamonds without too much hassle like that. But not this time.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 10:33 AM

Okay. Took a trip to the Nether. It was being a bit glitchy and jumpy (my connection isn't that great) so I was keeping my distance from edges and such. I was at the top of a ladder checking out a crafting table and chest. I triple checked to make sure I was clear before I looked in the chest. I had diamond armor on and full health. All of a sudden I start getting knocked around and it tells me I was killed by a Zombie Pigman. And the last place I slept was somewhere in the jungle in the x=3000 range. Awesome. I'm way out in the middle of nowhere with nothing.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 10:57 AM

Yowza, that burns. The only thing I can imagine is that the Pigmen were still agitated from the last visitor they had. The thing is your stuff should freeze in time until you return to the nether (or somebody else does) so if you can make your way back there you should be able to recover your shit.

As far as the Diamond mining all I can say is keep going. I've been very successful to date, but almost every time I think I'm getting hosed and not finding anything a big score is just around the corner.

Also, in the spirit of gaining more than you lose, I'd use Iron Picks instead of burning through precious diamond to get diamond.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 11:08 AM

Okay, so I just log in, I'm underground being suffocated....I die and now I'm back at spawn.

Wow, this game is being a dick right now.

Edit: Uhhh the food chest cannot be opened for some reason, so starvation it is I guess.

Editx2: So I was immediately stumped at the tune blocks, I could get the door to open for a split second but not nearly long enough to get through, so here's what I did. I went outside and found a hole leading to a bunch of redstone wiring. I wandered around until I found a room with two trees in it. I chopped one block and made a pressure plate. I forced the door open and made my way to the portal. I made it back home and all my stuff was waiting for me.

Puzzle: 0 Fatty: 1

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2012, 12:03 PM

Okay, so I just log in, I'm underground being suffocated....I die and now I'm back at spawn.

Wow, this game is being a dick right now.

Edit:  Uhhh the food chest cannot be opened for some reason, so starvation it is I guess.

Editx2:  So I was immediately stumped at the tune blocks, I could get the door to open for a split second but not nearly long enough to get through, so here's what I did.  I went outside and found a hole leading to a bunch of redstone wiring.  I wandered around until I found a room with two trees in it.  I chopped one block and made a pressure plate.  I forced the door open and made my way to the portal.  I made it back home and all my stuff was waiting for me.

Puzzle: 0 Fatty: 1
I may have to move the chest if there's some strange reason why the spawn protect locks chests. Also the service doors in the front are still there too i believe.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2012, 12:33 PM

Yeah I couldn't destroy a sand block near the chest or open the chest. I figured it was locked at spawn or something.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2012, 12:42 PM

Players...cannot ...activate switches other than pressure plates, or open chests or other blocks which contain items.
grrrr.

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2012, 12:42 PM

When I was there, certain areas were locked... but there was plenty of sand I could dig up as well. Trial and error.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 18, 2012, 01:07 PM

grrrr.
wait... so all the button-based puzzles don't work.... @#$%!@#%@#$!%

I knew it protected items from deletion, but didn't realize food chests were affected. double-grrr.

Blaze, how far is spawn protected ? 25x25 or larger?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 18, 2012, 01:34 PM

30x30 only, so it's just the chest.

Edit: The cart from the spawn shortcut is missing.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 19, 2012, 02:49 AM

30x30 only, so it's just the chest.
Edit: The cart from the spawn shortcut is missing.
Is the dispenser affected by the 30x30 effect? I'll head out that way tonight and re-load if it's not.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2012, 04:11 AM

I went and moved the chest out of the spawn protect. The dispenser is way far away. I was talking about the cart in the nether.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 19, 2012, 07:15 AM

I went and moved the chest out of the spawn protect. The dispenser is way far away. I was talking about the cart in the nether.

ahhh... never use that cart, so no idea what happened there.

should we put a chest out there with extra carts, just in case?

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2012, 08:53 AM

So I've basically started a new life out in the forest. I managed to find a zombie spawner right under my base, are there any good tutorials on building a water elevator so that I can make my own XP grinder?

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 19, 2012, 09:35 AM

So I've basically started a new life out in the forest. I managed to find a zombie spawner right under my base, are there any good tutorials on building a water elevator so that I can make my own XP grinder?
My skeleton grinder is very basic. Open the area around the spawner into a cave, then use water to 'flow' toward a hole. Have the hole drop 20m or so, then put in a 'window' to attack through. dig a second hole down, place a ladder, and done. wait up top while the spawner loads, then go down and beat the crap out of them for a bit. repeat. Nothing real fancy.

What part of the forest are you in? I'll run a care package by if interested. Got lots of bows, arrows, bread, etc.

andi*pandi
Jul 19, 2012, 10:01 AM

my skel grinder is overly complex, but I did experiment with it a lot. The elevator is the easy part, it's the height/distance from spawn you've got to measure.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2012, 10:10 AM

Blaze posted a video that I followed for my XP grinder a while back. Not difficult per se, but you will need to craft a metric ass-ton of signs.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2012, 12:31 PM

If you look around there are ways to make a piston suffocate them for the right amount of time. It's allot more compact.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2012, 06:25 AM

Got the zombie grinder set up - the water elevator only took five signs and a pressure plate. They get picked up then dropped down 21 blocks. It was originally 22 but occasionally they'd die on impact. Now they don't die and still only take one swipe with a stone sword to kill.

I'm loving this new place - huge maze of mineshafts and rail right underneath me, and lots of minerals. I just need to find some sugar cane so I can put my library together.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2012, 08:20 AM

Sek has a huge sugar cane farm. Do it quick, books will soon require leather.

andi*pandi
Jul 20, 2012, 08:24 AM

Well that could be a pita. There are no cows near Riverside. I have one trapped at Thunderdome though, so I could farm there.

cycl0pse
Senior User
Jul 20, 2012, 08:34 AM

The upcoming 'leather' requirement is one of the reasons I started the 'skyrail' project. My camp located out 'east' is mostly forest and grassland. As I get things setup, I plan on getting a large herd of cattle roaming out there, as well as other resources. The fort I have by the boat is very secure, but light on 'natural resources'.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2012, 09:48 AM

So i fixed the map slowness issue. The image size field which defaults to 256 is pixels / meter not meters per tile. So making it larger made things worse not better. Thought the total map size went up.

Also north changed again??

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2012, 10:21 AM

I noticed that too, before the desert I'm building in was in the South, now it is in the East...WTF?

Finally linked my Desert Hideaway nether portal correctly. Now all I need to do is run a short rail between my two nether portals and I'l have a much quicker means of getting to either end of my empire.

Odd news with books requiring leather. I haven't slain a cow in ages. I wouldn't call my cane farm 'huge' but it nets a decent amount of cane pretty quickly. All are welcome to reap the benefits, in fact, while waiting for it to re-grow why not take a ride down to my XP grinder?

andi*pandi
Jul 20, 2012, 10:50 AM

Teh Snappey.

For me, North is finally pointing the right way!

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2012, 11:39 AM

Sek has a huge sugar cane farm. Do it quick, books will soon require leather.
I set up my own farm, it would take longer for me to get to sek's and back than it would for me to grow my own. Also, I'm mostly hanging out at my XP grinder while I wait.

I found a skeleton spawn this morning and set up an arrow grinder, that was fun.

What would someone do with a spider spawner?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2012, 02:26 PM

I have a cave spider grinder because there are two spawners so I get xp at twice the rate. You can't use a falling trap easily so I use suffocation. For regular spiders I wouldn't bother. If you need chests of string or white wool just let me know.

Laminar  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2012, 07:35 PM

I spent my 44 XP on a diamond pick. Got Unbreaking III. Great.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2012, 04:50 AM

I spent my 44 XP on a diamond pick. Got Unbreaking III. Great.
Haha, burn.

It took me about a dozen picks to finally get a sweet set of enchants on one.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 06:09 AM

I save my almost dead picks so I can repair ones with bad enchants ant re-enchant them.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2012, 02:41 PM

You can repair tools???

Since when?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 21, 2012, 03:07 PM

Place 2 of the same tool together, you a small net increase in uses. It also clears out any enchantments.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2012, 07:17 AM

You can repair tools???

Since when?
Since the new server, I believe.

---

Holy balls, don't start a Tekkit game if you value your time. And by don't, I mean you should totally do it, because vanilla minecraft is as boring as mom and apple pie (If you've been wondering about my prolonged absence, this is why. Still love you folks).

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2012, 07:31 AM

I do enough actual engineering at work. No thank you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 23, 2012, 07:38 AM

Considering the level of automation it's actually less of a time waster in the grinding sense. And with all the extra ores and gems, going mining isn't a practice in frustration.

Forum Links
Forum Rules